Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

We are moving to Texas, south of the Tyler area as we are tired of people. Grew up in North Tx all my life on a small farm then left at 18.

Hate having neighbors right next to me, been through two hurricanes Michael (lost everything) and Sally, house flooded. Now that I have a choice I'm leaving the beautiful white beaches of Destin/FWB for some drier heat. I'm ok with it and am actually excited about sitting on my property with my dog and wrenching on some old cars....in the evenings.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I've been thinking more Raleigh/Chapel Hill. Seems to be the best of all worlds being near a major university, a major/capital city, rain in the summer, fall colors, not too cold in the winter. A few hours west to the hills and mountains. A few hours east to the beach.

That said, I've never visited that part of the state. Hell, I'd root for Mack Brown if it meant I don't have to go through these summers.

Lived in Raleigh for two years (1992-1994).  Great town and metro area.  Went back in 2016 for work, and remarked at all of the growth (not surprising given my 22 year absence).  I've said that it's a prettier and more charming version of urban sprawl than Dallas.  But for all the reasons you cite, I think it would still be a great place to live.

• Hook 'Em 1

No guarantees, but it's getting late enough in the calendar year, and looking at the long-range forecast, this SHOULD be the hottest weekend of the rest of the year.

Now don't misunderstand me. I'm not sunshine pumping and acting like it's gonna get significantly better soon. A weekend of 102/80 is not much better than 104/81, but it beats 106/82. That's the entirety of my message. There will still be shitloads of hot ass days from now through Halloween.

Summer of 2011 eventually came to an end, and so will this one. It's just gonna go kicking and screaming and punching holes in the wall on the way out.

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, South Austin said:

True on the hurricanes.  We lived through three during my time on the coast, but I recall by the time they hit North Carolina they don't have the devastation that hits Florida.  Though our last year there (1993) the hurricane winds snapped a tree branch in our yard that fell right on my car and totaled it.

From what my friend told me, that storm surge was an ass kicker. I remember Florence being no slouch...

https://www.weather.gov/ilm/HurricaneFlorence

My take after Harvey and Michael is hurricane aren't going to get any gentler.  Water's warmer and they seem to be slowing down so I would see how much military-grade bunkers cost in NC.

image.png.6762326d4992cbe4c4330aa37e62fc51.png

Edited by texasdago

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

No guarantees, but it's getting late enough in the calendar year, and looking at the long-range forecast, this SHOULD be the hottest weekend of the rest of the year.

Wonderful.  I'm supposed to march in Austin's Pride Parade Saturday evening.  If I die of heat stroke, I bequeath all of my rep to @dcbc.

Wonderful.  I'm supposed to march in Austin's Pride Parade Saturday evening.  If I die of heat stroke, I bequeath all of my rep to [mention=548]dcbc[/mention].

Found out the reason austin does pride in august instead of June is because “rain insurance” is more expensive in June than august (go figure). I said “fuck that, what’s more gay friendly than marching and dancing in the rain?”
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, txduck87 said:

Coming in from Houston tomorrow to move the boy into his apartment on west campus. It’s a dry heat up there so not too bad right Austin folk? Should I bring a jacket for when it cools down in the evenings?

Prepare for parents driving insanely large SUVs and minivans who:

• Kinda suck at driving
  • Have no idea where their kid's apartment is or where they can park
  • Have never been to West Campus before
  • Have packed 3x what the kid needs to make it through the year
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Prepare for parents driving insanely large SUVs and minivans who:

• Kinda suck at driving
  • Have no idea where their kid's apartment is or where they can park
  • Have never been to West Campus before
  • Have packed 3x what the kid needs to make it through the year

I'm done with all of that and glad that we moved my kid out the weekends before all the apartments dumped the students out for two weeks at the end of July. Feel sorry for the parents and students moving in during 105 degrees. Protip for parents - find a condo/apartment your student likes and hope the rent stays reasonable until they graduate.

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

Lived in Raleigh for two years (1992-1994).  Great town and metro area.  Went back in 2016 for work, and remarked at all of the growth (not surprising given my 22 year absence).  I've said that it's a prettier and more charming version of urban sprawl than Dallas.  But for all the reasons you cite, I think it would still be a great place to live.

As someone who lives in this area that is an accurate description.  Chapel Hill is nice though.  

48 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

Does God hate DFW? I mean it's like there is a magnifying glass being taken to it.

Fuck you!   You’ve had a lot more rain than everyone more than 20 miles south of Dallas County in the past 6 months (save the weirdos in Houston and SE TX)  

We are moving to Texas, south of the Tyler area as we are tired of people. Grew up in North Tx all my life on a small farm then left at 18.

Hate having neighbors right next to me, been through two hurricanes Michael (lost everything) and Sally, house flooded. Now that I have a choice I'm leaving the beautiful white beaches of Destin/FWB for some drier heat. I'm ok with it and am actually excited about sitting on my property with my dog and wrenching on some old cars....in the evenings.

Drier heat and you chose East Texas? Doesn’t computer. Put a rebel flag on your house and car.

33 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I think most of us are slowly going insane. So there's that. 

This is the absolute worst part of the year.  We've already been suffering for six weeks straight (if not longer) which is bad enough.  But now we are at the point the 10-day forecasts always show a significant cooling down at... ten days from now.  Check it again three days later and the cool down has moved to... ten days from then.  Rinse (my ball sweat) repeat until October at least.

Fuck this.

• Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

On 8/10/2023 at 5:48 PM, txduck87 said:

Coming in from Houston tomorrow to move the boy into his apartment on west campus. It’s a dry heat up there so not too bad right Austin folk? Should I bring a jacket for when it cools down in the evenings?

Just a seersucker jacket would suffice….

CF1B9A1B-464B-4EC7-ADAF-B3C0D905901E.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I knew a guy in college that could do this.  Craziest shit I've ever seen.

My best friend in college could crack open a beer at the beginning of 'Enter Sandman' and have 8 beers finished before the end of the song.  Not as impressive as the above gif, but a real talent all the same.