Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

To admit it's too hot right now for late September is to show weakness!  

I think the long game strategy here is the law of moving numbers.  By having the last 25 years at/near the top of the hottest/driest years in the last 125 years overall...even on the back end, it helps raise the overall average temps up a bit so that we no longer veer as much from the expected average high for a given day between May-October.  And as we get less and less rain, the expected rainfalls for a given month decrease over historical norms because 1/5th of the sampling has been done in this bullshit climate we call 1998-2023 in Texas.  If we keep getting hotter and hotter, later and later, and drier and drier, longer and longer.  Then we eventually close the gap between current conditions and the expected averages.  Pretty brilliant actually.  Super expensive and incredibly deadly, but smart.  

• Rage+1 2

Was sitting at my desk last week, the day before I flew out. All the sudden I realize the A/C -- which is 20 years old and just gone through the hottest summer in history is blowing hot air at 4 p.m. in the afternoon. I'm leaving at 6 a.m. the next morning. I have no idea what the issue is, but know the capacitors go out and can cause the issue. I drop everything and by 4:40 I'm at Ferguson 20 minutes before they close and grab a new one. 

Swap them out and it's back to running cold. 

But the real moral of the story? Fuck the blastfurnace. This is some bullshit.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Was sitting at my desk last week, the day before I flew out. All the sudden I realize the A/C -- which is 20 years old and just gone through the hottest summer in history is blowing hot air at 4 p.m. in the afternoon. I'm leaving at 6 a.m. the next morning. I have no idea what the issue is, but know the capacitors go out and can cause the issue. I drop everything and by 4:40 I'm at Ferguson 20 minutes before they close and grab a new one. 

Swap them out and it's back to running cold. 

But the real moral of the story? Fuck the blastfurnace. This is some bullshit.

I need to check ours again.  I flushed the lines with vinegar, changed filters, and cleared out the exterior units.  I just figured we could give the damn thing a break here soon, but looks like another month of it running full-time.  If it's just a capacitor and we can wait until next year to change out the downstairs compressor, we should be fine.  But this is fucking insane.  We run ours pretty mild this summer.  Our neighbor's two units are pretty close to our bedroom window due to the goofy trapezoid shape of both our lots.  And they run theirs at 72* non-stop no matter if they are home or not.  And the downstairs unit is about 10-12 years old.  The thing hasn't stopped running all summer.  Every once in awhile, early in the morning, around 5am...it'll shut off and the lack of background actually wakes me up because I've just slept to the hum 24/7 for four months.  I should tell him to check his capacitor as well, but he'd think I was fucking with him from the DeLorean time machine (not a real DIY guy).  

Anyway, wife's priest cousin coming into town and staying with us.  He likes it very cold, so I'll check capacitor but only if he agrees to bless my two HVAV units.  He's not above it, last year he blessed the whole house...so what's a sub-blessing to the compressors?  

Says it all... 80 days of 100 degrees and 95 for the first day of October:

image.png.6272cd3b02d9039a7cd611679dd148df.png

For a fun little kick in the nads, compare it to this same week last year. First strong front of the year arrived 1 year ago today and all but ended Summer for good. Following 2 weeks featured highs consistently below 90 and lows in the 60's, sometimes dropping into the 50's.

• Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Newdoc said:

I swear people are getting seasonal affective disorder from the persistent heat. 

Fuck you you piece of shit. I'm not on edge because of the constant heat, motherfucker. I'll rip off your head and spit down your throat.  

September joins August in the "hottest (insert month) since reliable records exist" category. 

I've mentioned before, but "latest arrival of first cool front of the year" looks likely to be the next record to go down. Current record for Houston is 10/13, which happened way back in 1904. One of only 2 instances where it occurred after 10/10. In fact, it only happens after October 1st about 10% of the time (13 times in the last 134 years).

Long-range GFS models not showing anything worth a damn through 10/13 and the extended forecast through 10/11 STILL does not feature a number starting with a 6. 

This is a peculiar pet-peeve of mine, but I keep seeing people say shit on here/twitter/weather blogs like "I've lived here my whole life and it never cools down before November" and it's just so incredibly wrong. Hell, just last year, we got an extended front that arrived this exact week. It was in the 50's both mornings of the final weekend of September 2022. We hit the 40's 5 times during the last 2 weeks of October. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

This is a peculiar pet-peeve of mine, but I keep seeing people say shit on here/twitter/weather blogs like "I've lived here my whole life and it never cools down before November" and it's just so incredibly wrong. Hell, just last year, we got an extended front that arrived this exact week. It was in the 50's both mornings of the final weekend of September 2022. We hit the 40's 5 times during the last 2 weeks of October. 

how can that possibly be?

22 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

This morning in Austin, I teed off at 7:20am, walked 18 holes, and sweated my ass off. It's so fucking humid, and hot. Fuck this shit.

I decided to work remote starting tomorrow through next weekend. Looking at places in Colorado to get away from this bullshit.

Love Colorado and it’s somewhat driving distance to Texas

14 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I've got the Kansas game at 2:30 this weekend.

Gonna be about 95 at kickoff, which is downright chilly for Texas considering they went through fall camp during 100+ blast furnace and it was 102 for Rice.

Good luck, Kansas.

Looooong term stuff shows something in mid-October. That far out, though, and it's anyone's guess:

Latest GFS run from an hour ago has the most optimistic forecast in a looong time. Still very far out and will shock me if it persists in future runs, but they're now modeling a fairly strong, albeit short-lived front making it here sometime next weekend. Temps in the 60's with dewpoints in the 40's from 10/7 through 10/10. 

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=us&pkg=T850a&runtime=2023092712&fh=246

Will keep an eye out and prepare for disappointment in future updates.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Latest GFS run from an hour ago has the most optimistic forecast in a looong time. Still very far out and will shock me if it persists in future runs, but they're now modeling a fairly strong, albeit short-lived front making it here sometime next weekend. Temps in the 60's with dewpoints in the 40's from 10/7 through 10/10. 

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=us&pkg=T850a&runtime=2023092712&fh=246

Jon Stewart Gop GIF by GIPHY News

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Deej said:

Jon Stewart Gop GIF by GIPHY News

Probably correct. ~240 hours out, it's little more than statistical noise. Previous run from 7 hours ago didn't pick it up at all. 

That said, if we get to the end of this weekend and are nearing the 120-hour range and there's something still showing up, I'll allow my hopes to start building. 

8 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Latest model run still showing the front but not quite as cool.  And it’s the GFS, so it’s Generally Full of Shit.

Still, I think I’d sign up for these temps for Texas/OU.

IMG_8940.thumb.png.4e879b48773c11664358eec94e3c02f6.png

NWS Houston forecasters are just saying fuck it at this point. This guy isn't even the comedian of the bunch.

Another way to take it is my main takeaway from the night shift`s
briefing to me this morning - conditions now are typically what we`d
expect to see in the summertime. Not the blast furnace summer that
we just experienced, but an actual normal summer. And in many ways,
that is what my forecast reflects. The NBM output seems to mostly be
putting forth this picture, so I didn`t have to make much more than
minor tweaks. Somebody should probably tell the atmosphere that
while it is a very lovely summer pattern it`s giving us, we`re going
into October now and maybe we should consider doing some more
autumnal things.

10 hours ago, crash_davis said:

This morning in Austin, I teed off at 7:20am, walked 18 holes, and sweated my ass off. It's so fucking humid, and hot. Fuck this shit.

I decided to work remote starting tomorrow through next weekend. Looking at places in Colorado to get away from this bullshit.

Do it. Was in Park City last weekend and it was 28 walking back to my place the first night. Now I'm in MT and have just about convinced myself I need to move to Whitefish. Between the glorious weather and edibles, I'm walking around like Simple Jack up here. 

Ben Stiller stands by Shaun White amid controversy over Tropic Thunder-themed  Halloween costume | Daily Mail Online

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

DISCLAIMER: ANALYSIS, NOT PREDICTION!!!

Last 5 GFS model runs all staying consistent, and extended weather forecasts are now starting to buy in on a "better late than never" arrival of Fall's first front a week from today, coming on the heels of some possible rain Wednesday. Unfortunately, gonna continue to feel like Neverending Summer until then.

Doesn't look like temps are expected to come down drastically, maybe ~10 degrees off current highs and ~5 degrees off current lows, but dewpoints look to plummet a good 30 degrees, meaning that it would feel exponentially more pleasant.

Also nice to see that, AS OF NOW, this appears to be more than a 2-3 day flash in the pan. Forecast after next weekend doesn't immediately revert back to hot and swampy. 

7 days out is when you just barely get a toe over the line of usefulness, so I'd put maybe 55/45 odds on things panning out at this point. If models are still producing similar runs by the end of this weekend, I'm going all in. This late in the year, it has to happen eventually (or does it?)