2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

19 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Yes, in the video you can see the umpire pointing at the batter as he's rounding the bases so whatever he said must have been beyond normal trash talk. The batter was actually suspended for taunting but obviously it's hard to say if that would have happened without the pitcher laying him out. 

Must have called him a cocksucker

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Assuming Storm takes over 1B and Thomas shifts to CF, my guess on the opening day lineup is:

CF Thomas, 3B Powell, LF Brown, 1B Storm, RF Gasparino, SS Flores, 2B O'Dowd, DH Beyleu/Sanders, C Galvan/Schuessler. Maybe they break up the lefties at the top of the order by flipping Brown and Storm (who is a switch hitter).

I like this pitching staff on paper but damnit the Mercer injury really throws a wrench into things. By conference play you gotta have a closer and 2 guys in the middle innings who can get the ball to your closer. Mercer was going to check at least one of those boxes. We are probably going to need at least one of Selvig, Tumis and Hamilton to be a reliable bullpen arm early. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Like 1

On 12/12/2023 at 6:18 AM, closetojumping said:

Does anyone have a link to that story or know what in the hell happened? The video looks absurd.

Believe it or not, the batter simply yelled “Fuck You” at the pitcher as he rounded the bases. I thought it had to be something about his mom or girlfriend.

On 12/21/2023 at 1:13 PM, TornACL said:

When the hell are we going to be able to order season tickets? I put down a deposit...site has said ticket info coming in December. I'm not optimistic that's going to happen. 

This is the timeline I got back in November:

TIMELINE

January – Online Seat and Parking Selection Process

During this time, you may add or upgrade your seat locations and purchase parking for the 2024 season. Please note due to high demand seating inventory is very limited. You will receive a selection date and time in early January based on your loyalty points as of Nov. 28, 2023.

Guaranteed priority season parking in East Campus Garage is available to Longhorn Foundation donors with a combined total of football seat gifts (excluding suites), baseball seat gifts, and Longhorn Excellence gifts of $200. If you are not already eligible to purchase parking, you can make a gift of $200 or more to Longhorn Excellence by calling the Longhorn Foundation at 512-471-4439 (Monday-Friday 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. CT).

Early February - All season tickets and parking (if purchased in January) will be sent via mobile delivery to your email address on file.

For additional questions, please contact Ticket Sales and Services, Monday through Friday 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. at 512-471-3333.

Hook 'em, Horns! 
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Harmon would never allow it.  

Anybody see on social media what time the alumni game is at?  

Most likely it will start after the mens basketball game (they play Frog at 1pm @ Moody Center) similar to '22 (around 330-4ish start time after B-ball finished up with Iowa St). Last year the game was earlier if my memory is correct cuz the basketball team played away at K St on that Saturday. 

I'm sure about the time in '22 as I got a pic with Roger just before first pitch and the photo is time stamped at 3:39. Due to the later start, the sun was already behind the stadium and it was cold as fuck. North wind was blowing in and even standing in the sun on the walkway down the left field line was miserable. I only stayed for like 4 innings.

Edited by BillyGoatHill
  • Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Starting to get that baseball itch fellas. Really believe this team is going to do some damage this year.

4 weeks til the alumni game.

Me, too. Has Luke Storm arrived? Do you still expect Hurley to open as the Sunday starter?

1 minute ago, zlavydra said:

Me, too. Has Luke Storm arrived? Do you still expect Hurley to open as the Sunday starter?

Yes and yes. They apparently made some tweaks with Hurley’s mechanics and think he is in store for a big year.

Catcher, DH and bullpen roles will probably be the biggest questions when practices start later this month. My hunch is Pierce is going to try to let one of the veterans (Howard, Shaw, Whitehead, Duplantier) run with the closer role early in the season but keep an eye on the 3 freshman arms (Selvig, Hamilton and Tunis) and Gage Boehm (juco kid). Hamilton was running his fastball up to 94-95 in the fall and Boehm throws like 7 different pitches.

• Hook 'Em 2

Show me on your bat where the Deacon touched you.  Sickie.

As suspected, I think it comes down to us and TCU for the last Big XII title.  For once, I'm kinda glad we don't have salty of a non-conf. schedule.  Because we need to sort out some roles and our SOS should be fine anyway when we get into league play.  Hard to believe we're just a few weeks away from the Alumni Game and then first pitch in just 6 weeks.  

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

• Haha 1

On 1/6/2024 at 11:29 AM, Hookem2147 said:

Yes and yes. They apparently made some tweaks with Hurley’s mechanics and think he is in store for a big year.

Catcher, DH and bullpen roles will probably be the biggest questions when practices start later this month. My hunch is Pierce is going to try to let one of the veterans (Howard, Shaw, Whitehead, Duplantier) run with the closer role early in the season but keep an eye on the 3 freshman arms (Selvig, Hamilton and Tunis) and Gage Boehm (juco kid). Hamilton was running his fastball up to 94-95 in the fall and Boehm throws like 7 different pitches.

Please oh please do not let Duplantier close. I don’t think I can watch us give up grand slams to lose games 

I received my email from UT with my seat selection appointment on Tuesday. Just heads up in case anyone is looking and hasn't seen it yet. I missed it originally because I get so many promotional emails from Texas Athletics I usually just ignore them.

• Hook 'Em 1

I haven't been since the Augie days.  It was called something else but basically the same thing, but whenever I've heard Pierce speak at preseason events, he's usually pretty open and frank about the state of the team/roster/schedule/rankings/etc. and I think worth the price of admission (not sure how it works now with baseball NIL if some of the players can come too and speak).  IIRC, it was either like a 2-drink ticket kinda thing or just open bar but the kind of atmosphere where you wouldn't have time/access to have more than two anyway.  But like Augie, Pierce is pretty "no-bullshit" and happy to answer questions, though nowhere near as funny and engaging as Augie (but who is?).  If you can't make that, I always like seeing him talk at the Headliner's Club before the season starts or the RBI Austin luncheon at Matt's El Rancho.  Anywhere you see him, he's always genuine.  One of the reasons I like Pierce.  a far cry from those later season Mack Brown Austin Longhorn Club lunches where you felt like you wanted to take a shower afterwards because he just wasted 90 minutes of your life bitching and moaning about unfair life is for him.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/11/2024 at 10:15 AM, TornACL said:

I received my email from UT with my seat selection appointment on Tuesday. Just heads up in case anyone is looking and hasn't seen it yet. I missed it originally because I get so many promotional emails from Texas Athletics I usually just ignore them.

Got mine. Picking seats Friday. 

Edited by Biff Tannen

21 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I haven't been since the Augie days.  It was called something else but basically the same thing, but whenever I've heard Pierce speak at preseason events, he's usually pretty open and frank about the state of the team/roster/schedule/rankings/etc. and I think worth the price of admission (not sure how it works now with baseball NIL if some of the players can come too and speak).  IIRC, it was either like a 2-drink ticket kinda thing or just open bar but the kind of atmosphere where you wouldn't have time/access to have more than two anyway.  But like Augie, Pierce is pretty "no-bullshit" and happy to answer questions, though nowhere near as funny and engaging as Augie (but who is?).  If you can't make that, I always like seeing him talk at the Headliner's Club before the season starts or the RBI Austin luncheon at Matt's El Rancho.  Anywhere you see him, he's always genuine.  One of the reasons I like Pierce.  a far cry from those later season Mack Brown Austin Longhorn Club lunches where you felt like you wanted to take a shower afterwards because he just wasted 90 minutes of your life bitching and moaning about unfair life is for him.  

Pierce is usually great in those types of settings. Sometimes he can be too forthcoming which is kind of funny.

A few years ago in an interview on the radio, he announced Porter Brown's commitment before he was allowed to talk about it and before Brown publicly announced it. Think he may have gotten a slap on the wrist for that one.

They are placing a lot of blind faith in that A&M pitching staff and the new pitching coach. The majority of their big portal transfers were on the position player side. They are a top 15-20 team but I don't know about #8.

When you consider the known pieces we have, we should be in the top 15 easily, maybe pushing the top 10 if Mercer was healthy and available (just got sad all over again).

Edited by Hookem2147