Speaking of being offended: cmt pulls Jason aldean video

closetohumping

21 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Jason Isbell is the man-est man in modern country music.  I don't think there's a close second.  Being a man isn't swagger, or jacked up trucks, or being a fucking bully.  It's just standing up and standing tall, over and over, doing the right thing, damn the blowback.  Jason doesn't bitch about conservative pussies hating him -- he just keeps on being Jason Isbell.

But still, Amanda Shires should leave him and run away with me.

I think Amanda is the closest second you are thinking about.  She holds nothing back.  And my favorite quote of hers is, "I can hold my breath longer than I can listen to country radio."

• Like 1

I gotta give some of y'all "too much wokeness in music, keep your politics outta my entertainment, free speech in art" types more credit.  Bitching behind a keyboard, wearing a hat, or some stickers on your truck to "take a stand?"  That's shit's too easy and doesn't prove anything about your ethical or sociological foundation.  

But listening to a Jason Aldean album to prove it?  Now that's some fucking brass cajones.  Holy shit, I thought I was dedicated to my principles.  That you don't veer into oncoming traffic or pull off into a truck stop parking lot and swallow a round after hearing that shit...but instead join the Aldean Army to fight censorship and artistic compromise...........we walk in your fucking shadow.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

I'm not so sure about that.  "If That Ain't Country" comes off more nostalgic than satirical.  Gave it a relisten just now.  I'll let you take a guess what happens at the "most replayed" moment.

Screenshot2023-07-21103954.png.e9ae8db12dffc759f0e41183d8d390c7.png

The thing about this one is that line is describing having to work very hard. It’s the opposite of the lazy trope ascribed to black people (and other minorities) now- since the welfare queen stuff from ththe 80s changed the bigotry. 

10 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

I think Amanda is the closest second you are thinking about.  She holds nothing back.  And my favorite quote of hers is, "I can hold my breath longer than I can listen to country radio."

Really, what's NOT to love about her?  Sexy brunette?  Talented as hell?  Takes zero shit and is a bad bitch?

I couldn't love her more, and my wife knows and is okay with it.

2 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

All this DAC talk makes me miss Maybeacoordinator. MAC would have loved this thread, and probably had some good stories. 

Man.  That hits hard.  Because goddamn, he would have had some shit to say.  Esp. re Steve Earle (it still blows me away that I was on a call discussing whether we should talk to Steve about leading an intervention conversation with MAC.  That was not in my plans).

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The brain drain has been issue for Iowa (and other rural places) my whole life, and when I was 18 I thought my hometown/area would be a bombed out crater within 5 years.

Here it is 20 years later, and it's honestly got more going for it than when I was a kid.

A lot of it is that we went through that big population loss in the 80's, when you had big families on small farms, and it wasn't possible to sustain that level of population in that economy.  In essence, we kind of found our carrying capacity.  And there have been a fair amount of college educated people who realize you can live here dirt cheap, make a lot of money in comparison to the COL, and the recreation opportunities are better than their reputation.  If you have a craving for the big city stuff, pretty much anywhere in the state is within 4 hours of a pro sports town (Minneapolis, Chicago, or KC).  Easy weekend trips.

Are you sure?  The Texas suburbanites tell me that everyone in your town is a meth addled jesus freak who commits violent crimes at the same rate as experienced in the big cities.  

59 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

We drove SA to Durango last month. Other than Roswell and ABQ, it was a barren wasteland. So many towns where we would ask eachother, "what do people do for a living in this town? Everything is boarded up" ... the answer was always "meth". 

I have the same thoughts when I drive through small towns.  I’ll sees cluster of houses and wonder wtf do these people do out here.  

46 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The brain drain has been issue for Iowa (and other rural places) my whole life, and when I was 18 I thought my hometown/area would be a bombed out crater within 5 years.

Here it is 20 years later, and it's honestly got more going for it than when I was a kid.

A lot of it is that we went through that big population loss in the 80's, when you had big families on small farms, and it wasn't possible to sustain that level of population in that economy.  In essence, we kind of found our carrying capacity.  And there have been a fair amount of college educated people who realize you can live here dirt cheap, make a lot of money in comparison to the COL, and the recreation opportunities are better than their reputation.  If you have a craving for the big city stuff, pretty much anywhere in the state is within 4 hours of a pro sports town (Minneapolis, Chicago, or KC).  Easy weekend trips.

The brain drain is an issue for places with nothing going for them. However, there are plenty of places that qualify as small towns that are thriving especially with the all out push for remote work. It has reversed the course on that issue I believe. We see more coming into our area that want out of the bigger city hustle than ever before. There is an aspect of it that sucks because of the issues that come with it, but there are new restaurants, event spaces, breweries, etc all opening because of the people coming in.

Me, I’m ready to size down again. I preferred what I had over what I currently have, so we’ll be looking for something a little less thriving soon.

8 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Are you sure?  The Texas suburbanites tell me that everyone in your town is a meth addled jesus freak who commits violent crimes at the same rate as experienced in the big cities.  

Everyone?  No.  But are things like overdose deaths a material problem in rural areas?  Yep.  The myth of the small town paradise where everyone is happier and healthier is, well.... a myth.  See the death rate.

33294663-98C3-45DC-96DB6AAEBC500026_sour

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Exactly, and that's the case across what I would call the western corn belt (Iowa, Minnesota, eastern Dakotas/Nebraska, northern and central Illinois) as a result of that consistently strong ag economy.

Stuff has come so far the last 20-25 years on land valuations and such. I was the last graduate from my rural Nebraska high school (End of the alphabet in a class of 14), and we were tack welding desks that came with the school in the 50's back together to use. All our sports uniforms were a decade old, didn't have down and distance on the scoreboard and so on. Now the consolidation with our  rival has a brand new gym that seats more people than live in the district, a real track instead of dumping us off the countryside and telling us to figure it out, and also sorts of other perks, all while having the lowest levy in the state. (Having a large windfarm, and being the terminus of the existing Keystone pipeline helps too.) Helps that there is a decent light industrial base 20 miles away, and a good chunk of the big farms are livestock heavy to keep fresh people moving in.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Wait, Al4ISU is he who walks behind the Roses?

Those photos look badass.  My father's family has some distant cousins in that part of Iowa.  My father and his brother would go visit every now and again, and said although that side of the family was even crazier than his side...it was really pretty there with cool rivers and rock formations and great fishing (he wasn't much for mountain biking).  I imagine he and my uncle also made liberal use of whatever the beer scene was like back then 40 years ago.  

csb/ For all his faults, he had an incredibly sense of humor.  Like Steve Martin, he was either very absurdist/physical or very dry/sardonic.  And I remember my uncle and he saying after one visit that those people must be inbred and are woefully unfunny.  But one second cousin stood out to them.  She was hilarious in that same manner and thhey connected immediately.  He lost touch with her, and I exchanged emails with her a couple times years ago but that was it.  She later went on to be a producer in Hollywood, mostly comedies.  And she married a fairly famous comedic actor.  And had a daughter, who I guess would be my dad's third cousin?  You would know her as Abby Elliott from SNL, "How I met your Mother", and "The Bear"  /csb

I'd prefer to live in a small town over Austin, but it'd have to be near mountains or ocean.  I can't do small town like where my wife comes from and much of her family still lives-NW Kansas.  All the farms have been bought up by conglomerates but everybody still stays there to watch each little community devolve through myriad stages of decay.  I don't get it.  It's not tradition, it's vanity.   

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Everyone?  No.  But are things like overdose deaths a material problem in rural areas?  Yep.  The myth of the small town paradise where everyone is happier and healthier is, well.... a myth.  See the death rate.

33294663-98C3-45DC-96DB6AAEBC500026_sour

I'm not saying you're wrong, but that chart is meaningless if it's not adjusted for age. Rural towns are filled with old people.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Wait, Al4ISU is he who walks behind the Roses?

Those photos look badass.  My father's family has some distant cousins in that part of Iowa.  My father and his brother would go visit every now and again, and said although that side of the family was even crazier than his side...it was really pretty there with cool rivers and rock formations and great fishing (he wasn't much for mountain biking).  I imagine he and my uncle also made liberal use of whatever the beer scene was like back then 40 years ago.  

csb/ For all his faults, he had an incredibly sense of humor.  Like Steve Martin, he was either very absurdist/physical or very dry/sardonic.  And I remember my uncle and he saying after one visit that those people must be inbred and are woefully unfunny.  But one second cousin stood out to them.  She was hilarious in that same manner and thhey connected immediately.  He lost touch with her, and I exchanged emails with her a couple times years ago but that was it.  She later went on to be a producer in Hollywood, mostly comedies.  And she married a fairly famous comedic actor.  And had a daughter, who I guess would be my dad's third cousin?  You would know her as Abby Elliott from SNL, "How I met your Mother", and "The Bear"  /csb

I'd prefer to live in a small town over Austin, but it'd have to be near mountains or ocean.  I can't do small town like where my wife comes from and much of her family still lives-NW Kansas.  All the farms have been bought up by conglomerates but everybody still stays there to watch each little community devolve through myriad stages of decay.  I don't get it.  It's not tradition, it's vanity.   

The Driftless Area (covers big chunks of Minnesota and Wisconsin too ) is one of America's best kept secrets.  Dirt cheap yet prosperous, clean, beautiful, and a wide range of recreational opportunities.

It's not going to win the best of anything, but it's got a lot of really cool stuff happening with very little barrier for entry.

Unfortunately the below is true:

image.thumb.png.07bdda71289bac2f161d02483c3114d9.png

9 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The Driftless Area (covers big chunks of Minnesota and Wisconsin too ) is one of America's best kept secrets.  Dirt cheap yet prosperous, clean, beautiful, and a wide range of recreational opportunities.

It's not going to win the best of anything, but it's got a lot of really cool stuff happening with very little barrier for entry.

I’d give it a shot but unfortunately I’d assume this area isn’t too diverse?

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The thing about this one is that line is describing having to work very hard. It’s the opposite of the lazy trope ascribed to black people (and other minorities) now- since the welfare queen stuff from ththe 80s changed the bigotry. 

This - look, DAC was and is a real-deal outlaw biker and titanic asshole, but he's also an eccentric genious who in his day challenged hypocrisy and social taboos in ways that were transgressive in the 70's and COMPLETELY out of bounds today. But he always punched up, not down. Comparing him to a doughy poseur like Jason Aldean is just stupid. 
For example when Anita Bryant was making herself famous and rich crusading against gays at a time when they were already pretty much despised and shunned from society, DAC wrote this song, involving his own experiences with gays, in prison and beyond.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

The meme is true, but I'd say it's less of a left/right thing and more that you can only effectively boycott a product that you are currently a consumer of.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

It's pretty White.  I mean, Iowa/Minnesota/Wisconsin only gets so diverse.  Although this place is in the Driftless:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postville,_Iowa.  They make some mean tacos in Postville.  Just down the road in Elkader is a legitimate Algerian restaurant that was started by a gay couple that began importing world class beer into the middle of nowhere.  They even hosted Cantillon Zwanze Day once https://www.scheras.com/zwanze-2019.html.

And RE the meme, the left didn't boycott this song.  CMT just pulled it, without much external pressure.  Then the right lost their mind and rallied around it.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, DickSolomon said:

Country Music fans are the biggest fucking pussies in the goddamn world holy shit

F0HjN7GXoAASQPb.jpeg

Season 9 Thank You GIF by The Office

3 hours ago, Smax said:

a bunch of "celebs" I've never heard of arguing about a shitty song, murica!

Yeah, it's so weird hearing about these country "stars" and I don't know who any of them are.  I know I'm in middle age, but whatever.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It's pretty White.  I mean, Iowa/Minnesota/Wisconsin only gets so diverse.  Although this place is in the Driftless:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postville,_Iowa.  They make some mean tacos in Postville.  Just down the road in Elkader is a legitimate Algerian restaurant that was started by a gay couple that began importing world class beer into the middle of nowhere.  They even hosted Cantillon Zwanze Day once https://www.scheras.com/zwanze-2019.html.

And RE the meme, the left didn't boycott this song.  CMT just pulled it, without much external pressure.  Then the right lost their mind and rallied around it.

2 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

The meme is true, but I'd say it's less of a left/right thing and more that you can only effectively boycott a product that you are currently a consumer of.

I think there’s definitely some “right rally” but obviously a lot of people just wanted to hear it to see what the fuss is all about 

21 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that one demographic is just used to thinking and doing exactly what they are told.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

WOW #1 hit song in a genre of music that literally every other genre of music laps in popularity. I bet whoever is the current #1 tejano smash hit is shaking in their boots about the popularity of this country queer nipping right at their butts. Just a few more rednecks buy in and they'll dominate cassette tape sales!

Meanwhile this video of Lil Nas X butt fucking satan has 540 million views to Jason Fagdean's "#1 TOP SMASH HIT" 10 million:

Or did the "right" not boycott this song??

Edited by DickSolomon
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I know that you aren't really saying this, but what I hear is:

"No, no... you see... he's using the n-word to compliment black people's work ethic.  So that makes it OK."  

1 minute ago, Guadaloopy said:

I know that you aren't really saying this, but what I hear is:

"No, no... you see... he's using the n-word to compliment black people's work ethic.  So that makes it OK."  

Are you arguing that calling someone a hard worker is the same thing as wanting them dead?

7 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

I don’t have any social media other than here. I still remember negging someone years ago (Futureman, I think) and then realizing that I was becoming so absorbed in an internet community that it was allowing me to actually be negative enough to physically care about it. I don’t think I have ever hit the neg button again. At least I hope not. 

I don't think anyone with an above-room-temp IQ is going to think less of you for negging Futureman.

45 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Kinda sounds like you're saying.....we should try all that in a small town

Edited by chainsaw
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Are you arguing that calling someone a hard worker is the same thing as wanting them dead?

No... The discussion around DAC was about some of his generally "offensive" material.  Some of his offensive material was "given a pass" because certain words were used sardonically as commentary on the caricature of a white southern bigot.  I gave an example of a DAC song where I don't think that is the case.  I simply pointed out that casual use of the n-word by a white artist in a non-satirical or non-sardonic context - even in a song released back in 1977 - is offensive material.  

Now the goal posts are being moved to say that the word must be used in a threatening or derogatory way to be considered offensive?  Nah... DAC deserves a little smoke.    

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I meant to message you and tell you that my daughter went to Thanksgiving with a friend to his family's farm in Lime Spring, IA.  She said it was like a Wes Anderson movie.

3 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

No... The discussion around DAC was about some of his generally "offensive" material.  Some of his offensive material was "given a pass" because certain words were used sardonically as commentary on the caricature of a white southern bigot.  I gave an example of a DAC song where I don't think that is the case.  I simply pointed out that casual use of the n-word by a white artist in a non-satirical or non-sardonic context - even in a song released back in 1977 - is offensive material.  

Now the goal posts are being moved to say that the word must be used in a threatening or derogatory way to be considered offensive?  Nah... DAC deserves a little smoke.    

It’s offensive.

It’s also completely different than what Johnny Rebel did, and doesn’t approach that level of vileness.

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

I meant to message you and tell you that my daughter went to Thanksgiving with a friend to his family's farm in Lime Spring, IA.  She said it was like a Wes Anderson movie.

I’m in Lime Springs right fucking now.

13 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Of course he does. He did in 1977 as well, and he got it then, too. His career is basically over because of it. But it's a huge, huge gulf between what he did, which is be an asshole who offended people for grins, and what Jason Aldean did, which is record write song about sundown towns full of racist dogwhistles and then run like a pussy from the obvious meaning of the material. 
Jason Aldean has more in common with Anita Bryant than he does with DAC. At least Johnny Rebel didn't hide from it. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 6:27 PM, royiv said:

Give it a listen. He sticks true to Tracy Chapman's original. Combs is a good artist compared to the bro country guys like Aldean, etc. He writes his own stuff (not Fast Car, obviously) and is a talented singer.

LOL at this comment. I've heard exactly one Luke Combs song and vowed never again.

I give you When it Rains it Pours:

It's got me thinkin' that her leavin'
Is the only logical reason
That I got the last spot in the Hooters' parking lot
And the waitress left her number on my check with a heart
She picked up on the first ring when I gave her a call
And I only spent five bucks at the Moose Club raffle
Won a used 4-wheeler and three free passes
For me and two of my buddies to play a round of golf

1 minute ago, Covri said:

Seems like a real nice place lol 🖕🏻

image.thumb.png.c2bf60881b5956eca847ac18ea9eb859.png

I have no idea why that map is shaded that way.  Lulz.

Its a little dumpy in the town itself, but they’ve got a couple good bars, nice county park on the river, and fun town festival in August.  The surrounding countryside is mostly nice acreages inhabited by millionaire farmers.  And some Amish for good measure.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I have no idea why that map is shaded that way.  Lulz.

Its a little dumpy in the town itself, but they’ve got a couple good bars, nice county park on the river, and fun town festival in August.  The surrounding countryside is mostly nice acreages inhabited by millionaire farmers.  And some Amish for good measure.

She was on one of the millionaire farms.  Her friend who grew up there has long hair and lots of tattoos.  

She said that Thanksgiving there was nothing but desserts.  Everyone sat down at lunch and ate pies.   Then later, they drove to the convenience store in town and bought a couple of pizzas.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, kevwun said:

Wasn't one of the fence guys mentally challenged?  Or was that yet another weird aggy story?

6 hours ago, closetohumping said:

My rule of thumb is all aggy is mentally challenged.

Can someone link me or give me a synopsis of the aggy story?

He was a vet with some head trauma stuff, iirc.   Wasn't apparent (other than the obvious) but that was what came out of it.   

8 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

She was on one of the millionaire farms.  Her friend who grew up there has long hair and lots of tattoos.  

She said that Thanksgiving there was nothing but desserts.  Everyone sat down at lunch and ate pies.   Then later, they drove to the convenience store in town and bought a couple of pizzas.

Ask her if it was a Casey’s and did they get a taco pizza?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

was it a weed farm? Because that sounds like a weed farm. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2