Speaking of being offended: cmt pulls Jason aldean video

closetohumping

10 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

I just looked up the lyrics for the first time.  So it’s todays small town country version of 187 on a cop?   But on car jackers, liquor store armed robbers and people spitting in a cops face?   So same same but different..   I definitely don’t listen to this guys music at all but there’s nothing racist in the lyrics really, I don’t see why the conversation went that way?

Bless your heart, who could this lyric be talking about? Who are these sucker punching, liquor store robbing carjackers who act like fools? They could be anybody (plays song over footage of BLM protest).  

Sucker punch somebody on a sidewalk
Carjack an old lady at a red light
Pull a gun on the owner of a liquor store
Ya think it's cool, well, act a fool if ya like

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, pacman said:

After the shooter killed 26, wounded 22.

Is that the victory lap you think it is?

Correct. In the process of killing more until he was fired upon, then chased down and killed.  Really sucks his fortune teller didn’t let him know it was going to happen sooner. 

On 7/19/2023 at 2:12 PM, Helobious said:

I don’t like country music at all but I’ll listen to “Last Night” by Morgan wallen all day long. I get that it’s not “real” country and that it’s soft but it’s an objectively great song.

So I thought I would test my “every opinion Helobious has is wrong” theory with this song…turns on my theory is correct.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Allen mall? 

The man that killed the shooter was a police officer.  I consider that officer to be a good guy.  And he obviously had a gun, as is his job.  But you and I both know the term "good guy with a gun" refers to a non-LEO citizen who happens to be there, or rushes to the scene, and safely returns fire to the gunman to avoid further bloodshed.  While the LEO's who take out mass shooters or arrest them should be commended, they have training and expectations as part of their job.  I don't want to sound flippant, but taking out someone who just murdered nine people when that's what you were trained to do, it's what you are paid to do, and it's what you swore an oath to do---that's not "local good guy with gun saves the day"...that's, "local PD officer uses training and weaponry to subdue mass shooter before further bloodshed."  

4 minutes ago, Hate said:

So I thought I would test my “every opinion Helobious has is wrong” theory with this song…turns on my theory is correct.

I'd like to welcome @Helobious to my Surly Shitty Music Takes club.  You should receive your membership card and polo shirt in the mail within two weeks.  Please wear polo to all club functions.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

The man that killed the shooter was a police officer.  I consider that officer to be a good guy.  And he obviously had a gun, as is his job.  But you and I both know the term "good guy with a gun" refers to a non-LEO citizen who happens to be there, or rushes to the scene, and safely returns fire to the gunman to avoid further bloodshed.  While the LEO's who take out mass shooters or arrest them should be commended, they have training and expectations as part of their job.  I don't want to sound flippant, but taking out someone who just murdered nine people when that's what you were trained to do, it's what you are paid to do, and it's what you swore an oath to do---that's not "local good guy with gun saves the day"...that's, "local PD officer uses training and weaponry to subdue mass shooter before further bloodshed."  

Fair enough. So it’s a crusade you have against concealed carry I guess?

So I just put 2 and 2 together and realized Aldean was the one on the stage during that mass shooting in Vegas. After listening to his music I’m not saying he should have shot all those people, but I understand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

32 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I'd like to welcome @Helobious to my Surly Shitty Music Takes club.  You should receive your membership card and polo shirt in the mail within two weeks.  Please wear polo to all club functions.

That's one of the biggest pieces of shit ive ever listened to.

Helobious listening to it like:

computer farting GIF by South Park

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Haha 5

16 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Fair enough. So it’s a crusade you have against concealed carry I guess?

'Crusade against concealed carry'?  How'd you get there from here?  I was pointing out the mythology of the "good guy with a gun" ethos.  I have heard, in person, 5 feet away from them, hear Dan Patrick, Ted Cruz, and Greg Abbott say verbatim to a small group, "The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a good guy with a gun"...and all of them were implying that good guy was a private citizen in that scenario exercising his constitutional rights to carry.  

It's a bullshit lie we feed ourselves to feel safer in public.  I have a CHL, I'm not a crusade against them.  What I am against is this non-stop loop of "well, if only there were more gravy seals at the mall/church/school/grocer that day, lives would have been saved."  Good guy with guns have all the opportunities in the world these days in the U.S. to stop mass shooters.  They literally have multiple opportunities each and every single week.  And yet less than 5% of these incidents are stopped by a carrying citizen.  It's usually suicide by cop or the shooter takes their own life.  While JimBob is trying to catch his breath running back from his truck to retrieve his handgun.  Carry all you fucking want, I don't give a shit...let's just quit with the group lie of how many constitutional carriers are out there stopping mass shootings on the reg.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Carry all you fucking want, I don't give a shit..

I don’t, fwiw. Never have. 

6 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

And yet less than 5% of these incidents are stopped by a carrying citizen. 

Do you think more than 5% of the pop are carrying at any of these events?  Elementary schools, malls, parades?  If not, wouldn’t that math track?

And the “good guy with a gun” was along LONG before constitutional carry was a thing.  It was a CC thing decades before. 

46 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

That’s hilariously rich coming from a guy that thinks Cash’s “Hurt” cover sucks.

9 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I don’t, fwiw. Never have. 

Do you think more than 5% of the pop are carrying at any of these events?  Elementary schools, malls, parades?  If not, wouldn’t that math track?

And the “good guy with a gun” was along LONG before constitutional carry was a thing.  It was a CC thing decades before. 

Do you ever do anything other than defend guns? It’s so tiresome. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

Lol.

Every day Isbell writes culture is created, money comes from nowhere. You are a Lincoln log, zero sum nobody. But he’s a bitch. Sure. To dumbasses.

Have fun, stay clear of the needle, call home on your sister's birthday”

I get it. He tweets political points you agree with.  There’s hundreds (thousands?) of great writers that never get as famous as the shitbag pop country singers.  Maybe they all cry about it on Twitter, I couldn’t tell you. 

Obviously it varies by state, locations within that state, and then the type of event/venue to your point.  

But yeah, I'd say well over 5% of Texans are either carrying on their person or their vehicle on the average day.  PRobably 10% here.  Admittedly, I don't know---you'd think that stat would be more readily available by both sides of the debate though, no?  

The other factor that's hard to quantify is "proximity" to the mass shooting event.  I've read stories of people hearing about it on a police scanner or a text from someone they know in the kill-zone who reaches out.  And the good guy rushes to the scene, loading the magazine as he's driving.  Most of the time he's too late, but I applaud his selflessness to head into harm while helping others flee.  In a crowded mall or the parking lot of a big church, you could draw a circle of 500' radius of people and cars, and probably pickup several dozen weapons in most parts of our state or most states with liberal carry laws.  So the math doesn't really track.  Likewise, there's just the human nature factor.  I'm with my kids/wife and mass shooter breaks out, even if had my weapon on me or nearby in the truck...I'm outta there.  Godspeed to everybody else, we're getting the fuck outta there and somebody else can play hero.  If I'm rolling solo and carrying, which I never do but if I was single maybe it'd be a different story, I might tense up and freeze or I might use my good marksmanship and take the shooter out with two rounds.  But let's be honest, odds are I'd probably just shoot willy-nilly becoming yet another stupid factor for police to take into account when they arrive on scene, or I just hide and wait it out.  

23 minutes ago, Helobious said:

That’s hilariously rich coming from a guy that thinks Cash’s “Hurt” cover sucks.

Whoosh!

He admits his takes suck.  You don’t.  Either way, same club.  Probably a lot of teenage girls in it too, if that’s your thing.  

25 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I get it. He tweets political points you agree with.  There’s hundreds (thousands?) of great writers that never get as famous as the shitbag pop country singers.  Maybe they all cry about it on Twitter, I couldn’t tell you. 

I don’t think you do. Music is not zero sum.  Creators are akin to a mineral deposit that materializes right before your eyes.

And…if you really want a poignant song about a small town, and what reality is like from a lot of folks’ perspective who live in one, try “Speed Trap Town” by Jason Isbell.

https://genius.com/Jason-isbell-speed-trap-town-lyrics

Got one of my favorite verses ever, the last line is a killer that most every man can relate to in some context:

“Well, it's a Thursday night but theres a high school game
Sneak a bottle up the bleachers and forget my name
These 5A bastards run a shallow cross
It's a boys last dream and a man's first loss”

That, fellas, is a song.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And…if you really want a poignant song about a small town, and what reality is like from a lot of folks’ perspective who live in one, try “Speed Trap Town” by Jason Isbell.

Got one of my favorite verses ever, the last line is a killer that most every man can relate to in some context:

That, fellas, is a song.

So is this:

https://genius.com/Bruce-springsteen-youngstown-lyrics

Here in northeast Ohio
Back in eighteen-o-three
James and Dan Heaton
Found the ore that was lining Yellow Creek
They built a blast furnace
Here along the shore
And they made the cannonballs
That helped the Union win the war

Here in Youngstown
Here in Youngstown
My sweet Jenny I'm sinking down
Here darling in Youngstown

Well, my daddy worked the furnaces
Kept them hotter than hell
I come home from 'Nam, worked my way to scarfer
A job that would suit the devil as well
Taconite coke and limestone
Fed my children and made my pay
The smokestacks reaching like the arms of God
Into a beautiful sky of soot and clay

Here in Youngstown
Here in Youngstown

From the Monongahela valley
To the Mesabi iron range
To the coal mines of Appalachia
The story's always the same
Seven hundred tons of metal a day
Now sir, you tell me the world's changed
Once I made you rich enough
Rich enough to forget my name

Here in Youngstown
Here in Youngstown

When I die I don't want no part of heaven
I would not do heaven's work well
I pray the devil comes and takes me
To stand in the fiery furnaces of hell

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

That, fellas, is a song.

"He's got square-toed boots so he ain't for real

Wouldn't last 5 minutes on a pedal steel" 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

It’s the guy who somehow upset Isbell for making him relevant again by covering a song. 

That’s a pretty dumb take just for the record. Sometimes it’s better to just move on rather than keep digging.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Imagine Waylon “backing the blue” 🙄

also was driving earlier and Alabama's “song of the south” came on. 30 years ago you could have a no. 1 country song lamenting the difficult realities of rural life during the great depression but also praising FDR and the New Deal and noting the benefits and necessity of urbanization. If released now they would probably be accused of being communist pedophiles

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Brew said:

That’s a pretty dumb take just for the record. Sometimes it’s better to just move on rather than keep digging.

It's pretty well established that, unless we're discussing bullet calibers, fatty is one ignorant mother fucker.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Imagine Waylon “backing the blue”

also was driving earlier and Alabama's “song of the south” came on. 30 years ago you could have a no. 1 country song lamenting the difficult realities of rural life during the great depression but also praising FDR and the New Deal and noting the benefits and necessity of urbanization. If released now they would probably be accused of being communist pedophiles

This is an excellent post.

Dead serious. If someone released a cover of this today on mainstream country radio….they’d be crucified.

It’s actually a pretty good song, by the way.
  • Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

It's pretty well established that, unless we're discussing bullet calibers, fatty is one ignorant mother fucker.

Meh. Dude can continue to cry in the corner about how unfair the world is and I’ll continue to laugh.  My only hope is he resides in TN.