2023 Fall Camp Thread of Dominance

USMCHorn

You literally just described one of the most important aspects of a coach’s job in trying to explain why coaching isn’t your top concern. 
So you think all of those coaches I listed are better than Sark at maintaining focus? You may be right, but he seems as good as any when it comes to rallying the troops...Bama game last year and how they came out against blowU are good examples. I'm worried about complacency against the "gimme" games on our schedule for sure though, especially those later in the season.

4 minutes ago, ousux said:
9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:
 You literally just described one of the most important aspects of a coach’s job in trying to explain why coaching isn’t your top concern. 

So you think all of those coaches I listed are better than Sark at maintaining focus? You may be right, but he seems as good as any when it comes to rallying the troops...Bama game last year and how they came out against blowU are good examples. I'm worried about complacency against the "gimme" games on our schedule for sure though, especially those later in the season.

I really don’t think you want to go down the path of comparing Sark’s big game successes vs. failures. I mean you just cited a game we lost and a game against a team without a quarterback as the best examples of “rallying the troops”.

I like the guy and hope he succeeds, but the head coach should be your number one concern with this team. We will have more talent across the board than every conference opponent we play. Anything less than a trip to the Big 12 championship is a complete failure.

• Hook 'Em 4

52 minutes ago, OB3 said:

IT practice notes

Hide contents

Start with the most important stuff...

- Again, no green jerseys. That means the team remains healthy.

- Xavier Worthy, Johntay Cook, AD Mitchell all worked at punt return. And all looked good. Cook, in particular, may be the heir apparent to Worthy. Cook does not struggle the least bit tracking the ball.

- The OL work remained the same as the first day. Cole Hutson and Hayden Conner were the first team guards with DJ Campbell and Neto Umeozulu backing them up. However, Cam Williams and Andre Cojoe flip-flopped sides today, with Williams working at second team left tackle and Cojoe on the right side.

- Justice Finkley is flip-flopping sides between Jack and Buck end. Ethan Burke and Barryn Sorrell are the first teamers. Tausili Akana is even getting some early work at Jack but is behind the older players.

Sorrell has continued his body transformation. He looks better yet again. I would not be surprised if he eventually leaves Texas at 275-280 pounds at this rate, which is just astonishing. He currently lists at 261.

- So if you're asking me who is getting off the bus first in the defensive backfield, it's Derek Williams. He wears no. 2, and he is easy to find in the secondary. At second team free safety was Larry Turner-Gooden alongside Kitan Crawford. Michael Taffe and BJ Allen were running third team. Jalen Catalon and Jerrin Thompson were the starters.

In my first time getting an extended look at Catalon, he is built low to the ground, very much like a Quandre Diggs type. He is extremely well put together for the position.

- I spent a lot of time with the defense on day two. Trill Carter was praised multiple times by line coach Bo Davis for his hand placement. Byron Murphy continues to lead all drills at DT.

- Across from Jaylan Ford, David Gbenda got the nod in early team work.

- Higher winds than usual today. The QBs hung some deep balls going into the wind and overthrew a couple going with it. That's natural. Timing on the underneath stuff looked good overall.

- Xavier Worthy and AD Mitchell continue to look like difference makers. And by that, I mean absolutely elite. Both of them. Jordan Whittington and Johntay Cook also made some impressive catches in drills.

- This continues to be a team that looks the part. There is no change in that at all.

One final note...

Quinn Ewers went to the middle of the field and signaled the start of practice yesterday. Today, it was Jaylan Ford.

Those are your leaders on O & D IMO.

NbM0Vi.gif

Edited by Davis Lane
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

There will be plenty of time for you kool-aid pissers to post your bitching during the season.

It's the fall camp thread.  

Let the optimists have it.

Are you kidding?  We are less than a week away from entering the period where hordes of Surly-ites are hand-wringing over the idiotic coaching staff putting the wrong guys at first team on the depth chart.

• Haha 1

I really don’t think you want to go down the path of comparing Sark’s big game successes vs. failures. I mean you just cited a game we lost and a game against a team without a quarterback as the best examples of “rallying the troops”.
I like the guy and hope he succeeds, but the head coach should be your number one concern with this team. We will have more talent across the board than every conference opponent we play. Anything less than a trip to the Big 12 championship is a complete failure.

I never said coaching wasn't a concern, particularly halftime adjustments. I merely stated it's not my biggest worry when I look at the list of imbeciles who manages to win it all with a combination of elite talent and a sprinkling of luck here and there. We could certainly add MBTF to that list. Sark may not be the greatest gameday mastermind, but he is proven as a playcaller. I think the continuity among coordinators and assistants this year combined with an experienced roster could potentially be a recipe for success, but that remains to be seen. Yes, my tongue may be stained burnt orange from sipping a little off season Kool aid, but game 2 will tell us a lot about not just the team, but coaching staff as well.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Not a cat said:

I think sweat and ctj settle their differences like gentlemen - a 40 yard race at a tailgate 

I just spent the day walking up massive inclines in San Francisco and barely breaking a sweat. I would fucking smoke Sweat in a 40. I’ve easily still got 4.something speed, folks. 

• Haha 8

I never said coaching wasn't a concern, particularly halftime adjustments. I merely stated it's not my biggest worry when I look at the list of imbeciles who manages to win it all with a combination of elite talent and a sprinkling of luck here and there. We could certainly add MBTF to that list. Sark may not be the greatest gameday mastermind, but he is proven as a playcaller. I think the continuity among coordinators and assistants this year combined with an experienced roster could potentially be a recipe for success, but that remains to be seen. Yes, my tongue may be stained burnt orange from sipping a little off season Kool aid, but game 2 will tell us a lot about not just the team, but coaching staff as well.

Will you two fucknuggets take your waterhead slapfight to the aggy recruiting thread and leave the rest of us the fuck alone already
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I just spent the day walking up massive inclines in San Francisco and barely breaking a sweat. I would fucking smoke Sweat in a 40. I’ve easily still got 4.something speed, folks. 

That’s because it’s San Francisco. Coldest winter I ever experienced was summer in San Francisco. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I’ve easily still got 4.something speed, folks

You know what a statement like this means. You’re going to have to head to the track at Blinn and have someone there to video and someone with a stopwatch 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Ohio State and Michigan both have really easy schedules. Beat Penn State, and they’re most likely undefeated at the end of November. The Game very well could be for the CFP 2 seed. I think both make it in. 

If we win the Big 12, and that's a big if, we are likely in ahead of tOSU/Michigan loser. 

8 hours ago, ousux said:
8 hours ago, Duane Moore said:
That’s good to read. Bobby and Gerry aren’t generally sunshine pumpers, so maybe that fall camp kool-aid is for real this time. 

Bobby and Gerry aren't taking into account we will be not just going up against the opposing team, but zebras as well. If we can overcome all that then we deserve a playoff spot

big-xii-officials.png.fe03621e86bd1abe0914efb4740a54e9.png

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1