2023 Fall Camp Thread of Dominance

USMCHorn

11 minutes ago, sidis said:

do not disagree with the protection issues.  but good  EXPERIENCED qbs don't allow themselves to take a 17 yard sack a mile outside of the pocket on FIRST DOWN in the fourth quarter on your own 35 and a four point lead...much less do they cough up the ball for an easy scoop and score that completely smashes all the momentum you had.  that is not a good game and the type of terrible decision making i was describing as tempering my koolaid.

Its a bad play, no doubt. It also a tough situation. You see Baylor dropout and bring 4, while you have 7 to protect, the QB is not expecting immediate pressure from the backside. He should have just swallowed the ball, instead of trying to make a play. That is more of an inexperienced decision, than anything else. I have seen plenty of good QBs make bad decisions in situations like that. Overall, I think Quinn was pretty solid in limiting boneheaded decisions over the course of the season. Yeah, there were a couple, but overall he out-performed most young QBs in that area. He took 11 sacks in 307 drop backs. 1 per 28 drop backs. Threw 6 ints in 296 attempts or 1 per 49 attempts. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

Its a bad play, no doubt. It also a tough situation. You see Baylor dropout and bring 4, while you have 7 to protect, the QB is not expecting immediate pressure from the backside. He should have just swallowed the ball, instead of trying to make a play. That is more of an inexperienced decision, than anything else. I have seen good QB make plenty of bad decisions in situations like that. Overall, I think Quinn was pretty solid in limiting bonehead decision over the course of the season. Yeah, there were a couple, but overall he out-performed most young QBs in that area. He took 11 sacks in 307 drop backs. 1 per 28 drop backs. Threw 6 ints in 296 attempts or 1 per 49 attempts. 

Well, he was def better than Card. I'm gonna be interested to see how Card does at Purdue.

Also, I’ll add that TCU and UDub are likely both wins if 5-star receivers catch the balls that hit them in the fucking hands. It was cold as balls at the TCU game, so yeah, that happens. But if we’d have been able to grind out those 2 games with receivers making easy catches, would the narrative re: Sark and Quinn be different? 

Worthy dropped 3 versus UW, but two were on the same possession. The other wasn’t necessarily a drive killer. The TCU drops probably killed a drive or two but not necessarily scoring chances.

Now the Bijan wheel route versus TCU? That’s as bad as QBing as you’ll ever see. Perfect call by the way.

43 minutes ago, cafe society said:

A healthy Quinn is a helluva QB.
Our IOL will be better - not sure how much - by virtue of experience, another year of S&C and another year with Flood.
RBs and WRs are deep and talented.  
Quinn needs to remain healthy.  JT Sanders needs to remain healthy.  Catalon needs to remain healthy.
EDGE will be better, again, not sure how much.
We need AntHill to ramp up quickly and Gbenda not to suck.
Sark will be better - another year of living sober and experience, adding more quality coaches.

Looking at all that, I don't know if I see an undefeated team, but I think the only way we don't win 10+ games is if we are unlucky with injuries and Big 12 zebras.

This team has some good knowns, but more than a few unknowns. Assuming the unknowns work out well is why I’ve overestimated the performance for over a decade.

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Jesus, these last two pages...what, you motherfuckers can't find anything even remotely less painful to do on a Friday afternoon? What, you couldn't find some cinderblocks to drop on your balls, or going outside just wasn't painful enough for you? Fucking football board, man. 

This. 

I had to take a break and do something slightly more enjoyable/fulfilling, so I shoved a bunch of broken glass up my ass and sat in a tub of gin. Much better experience. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, cafe society said:

A healthy Quinn is a helluva QB.
Our IOL will be better - not sure how much - by virtue of experience, another year of S&C and another year with Flood.
RBs and WRs are deep and talented.  
Quinn needs to remain healthy.  JT Sanders needs to remain healthy.  Catalon needs to remain healthy.
EDGE will be better, again, not sure how much.
We need AntHill to ramp up quickly and Gbenda not to suck.
Sark will be better - another year of living sober and experience, adding more quality coaches.

Looking at all that, I don't know if I see an undefeated team, but I think the only way we don't win 10+ games is if we are unlucky with injuries and Big 12 zebras.

Doesn't matter. Sark's record from a decade ago means we can't possibly be good, no matter who is on our roster. 

Edited by LateAughtsHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Jesus, these last two pages...what, you motherfuckers can't find anything even remotely less painful to do on a Friday afternoon? What, you couldn't find some cinderblocks to drop on your balls, or going outside just wasn't painful enough for you? Fucking football board, man. 

Yet here you are. Starved for entertainment, much?

Edited by Tex Long
duped again
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

This. 

I had to take a break and do something slightly more enjoyable/fulfilling, so I shoved a bunch of broken glass up my ass and sat in a tub of gin. Much better experience. 

Why would you waste that gin man? 

5 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Yet here you are. Starved for entertainment, much?

I was hoping there might be udpates from a 995 site. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, ousux said:

While I've never been a fan of that chant, doing it to any of the hateful 8 schools that we just boatraced seems appropriate.

It needs to stop after we actually play in the SEC though, fuck that lame redneckery.

How about if we just chant, “Big 12 Sucks!”?

I will NEVER do the SEC chant other than in an ironic context, like, say, after winning the conference in our first year… but probably not even then. 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I was hoping there might be udpates from a 995 site. 

There is a decent discussion about our football team and its possible flaws amidst the usual sea of “gained 20 pounds of muscle” and “the light finally came on”. That’s not a bad thing. If you prefer, just head on over to 9.95 to see some commitment tweets from recruits who never visited our campus while we wait for McKinley on 9/1.

Edited by Reynolds Woodcock
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I think it is safe to say Brooks appears to have enough talent to be a solid RB, but we have not seen it in a live situation yet. The bigger issue is can Brooks handle the work load of a featured RB. He has missed time in both seasons as a back-up RB. 
For the first time in a long time there are enough horses in the stable it doesn't matter if Brooks can handle being an every down back. In addition to Baxter we forget that Blue was at one time considered the best RB in Texas hsfb and likely would have kept his 5* status if he didn't choose to skip his senior year of high school football. Beyond those 3 we have Kelian Robinson who in spite of being a smaller RB is a 5th year senior and this is his NFL audition year. Bijan and Rojo will be missed for sure, but our running game will be fine as long as our O-line is up to the task. I'm far more concerned with our D stopping the run tbh.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, gmr548 said:

On offense I think the running game is being glossed over. The OL, particularly the interior, was a putrid run blocking unit. I’ve legitimately never seen a RB room consistently turn 0 or -2 yards into a gain like Bijan and RoJo did. Shit was wild and maybe a little taken for granted after two years.

The OL has to be much better this year because the RB stable is taking a big step back, and while it’s reasonable to assume some improvement there’s a lot of ground to cover between where they were and where they need to be in order for this offense to not have to be one dimensional against good DL’s. If they don’t, defenses are just going to play light fronts, drop 8 to keep the passing game in check, and not worry about Texas being able to make them pay for it on the ground. This offense will go as far as the OL takes them.

Defense, yeah, it’s sacks or if you want to expand it broadly just disruption. They have been good on a per play basis, hence the love from analytics, but the true drive killers like sacks and turnovers are few and far between. Even an elite unit will give up points if the opponent gets enough decent chances.

I’ve helped the same thing from the rooftops about Bijan and RoJo. I was shouted down.

Bijan in particular is a fucking wizard. Discounting the extra yards he provided is… dumb.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

There is a decent discussion about our football team and it’s possible flaws amidst the usual sea of “gained 20 pounds of muscle” and “the light finally came on”. That’s not a bad thing. If you prefer, just head on over to 9.95 to see some commitment tweets from recruits who never visited our campus while we wait for McKinley on 9/1.

Subtweeting isn't very nice, you know

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

How were the udpates?

i'm pretty sure that eric nahlin and justin wells said some unbelievably stupid shit that idiots are using as ingredients for their koolaid.  i suspect the terms "grown ass man" and "now that he's healthy" were used.

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

12-16 for 194 yards was a terrible performance for a freshman QB when he was sacked 5 times and running for his life all day is certainly a take. Watching last year's Baylor game and coming away with Ewers as the main problem is some really weird shit. The OL was terrible and then you have shit like Whittington giving away the ball after a long completion. I mean that drive saw our OL false start twice in a row to give us 1st and 20. Next snap we hit a 29 yard completion but nah here's the ball. 

Ewers was not a superhero that day and made one huge mistake along with some other small ones. The OL was garbage in the passing game, direct your ire accordingly. 

it is.  the oline pass protection was probably the worst of the year but for most of the year, it had been better.  and some allowances have to be made when you're lining up against an aranda team. i'm not putting it all on quinn but he was not very good imo.  a ton of his yards came on two wide open passes to sanders by himself.  but, from memory...

• panicking into intentional grounding/safety on the first drive.  launch the ball out of bounds a mile downfield.  don't dink it where there's no where close.
  • horrible pass that missed a wide open sanders up the seam for an easy td with like 6 mins left in first half on third down that leads to settling for a fg.  was a big one because that would have made it a two score, 9 point game instead of a 5 point game.
  • he took a really, really bad sack imo in the two minute drill right before the half that killed the drive before it even started on the play hutson got hurt.  with any vision on it he rolls to the right and at least gets an incompletion.  i definitely won't fault him for the sack on the next play if i remember it correctly as he never had a chance but the first one could have been avoided with any effort or vision.  and that first bad sack allowed them to stop the clock and get a td and the lead right before half.
  • the really bad sack/fumble/scoop and score that was his last involved play discussed ad nauseum.

they were so, so critical and other than the third bullet, they were not really objectively debatable.  but i agree that the oline false starts and ridiculously bad protections did a lot to undermine his chances for success, and whittington really fucked it on one of his better plays.  but it is a good example of a game that when i imagine a team without bijan robinson playing savior for the good guys, i have concerns which was my original point.

and sorry to all the people on here that don't enjoy football discussions.  i am certain there are some threads where you guys can trade some memes and twitter embeds about how we are unbeatable this year and shit.  i will post this again to satisfy your koolaid needs.

7wos1i.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, ousux said:
2 hours ago, Codaxx said:
I think it is safe to say Brooks appears to have enough talent to be a solid RB, but we have not seen it in a live situation yet. The bigger issue is can Brooks handle the work load of a featured RB. He has missed time in both seasons as a back-up RB. 

For the first time in a long time there are enough horses in the stable it doesn't matter if Brooks can handle being an every down back. In addition to Baxter we forget that Blue was at one time considered the best RB in Texas hsfb and likely would have kept his 5* status if he didn't choose to skip his senior year of high school football. Beyond those 3 we have Kelian Robinson who in spite of being a smaller RB is a 5th year senior and this is his NFL audition year. Bijan and Rojo will be missed for sure, but our running game will be fine as long as our O-line is up to the task. I'm far more concerned with our D stopping the run tbh.

I dont agree here. Just my view, but I think currently Texas has 2 Rbs that can be considered 3 down RBs. They are Baxter and Brooks(maybe Red, but he is in dog house at the moment and injured). Blue has not shown the ability to be a between the tackles RB. He is pretty similar to Robinson in that manner. Both are an absolute nightmare in space, but neither have shown the ability to get the extra yard. I think the Blue would have been the #1 RB in the nation is a Longhorn fairy tale. The OL needs to be better for Texas to maintain the same running ability. We can talk about the potential of Baxter or Brooks, but neither is Bijan. That is going to require the OL to hold blocks for a little bit longer. 

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Worthy dropped 3 versus UW, but two were on the same possession. The other wasn’t necessarily a drive killer. The TCU drops probably killed a drive or two but not necessarily scoring chances.

Now the Bijan wheel route versus TCU? That’s as bad as QBing as you’ll ever see. Perfect call by the way.

I don’t remember exactly when it was because I was drunk and cold, but I watched JT drop a pass that essentially hit him in the dick. There was nobody between him and the end zone. 

I love our dudes, and I especially love the  top level pressure that they are putting on themselves this year, but there were a fuck ton of inexcusable drops last year that were at crucial points that changed games.  Can’t happen again. 

Edit: everybody has to be better. To win it all, everything has to work. Everything. 

Edited by Gucci_Suit
Everything!

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

#FAFO= Fuck Around and Find Out

IMG_7472.jpeg.ddae179a53932c964a3674d52a718bee.jpeg

Feeling Angry Fist Oneself

Females Always Forego Oral

Freaky Attire Freaks Opponents

First Anniversary of Fierce Orgasm

Fucking Awesome Fabulous Oppenheimer

Honestly there's really no telling which one it could be

12 minutes ago, hook me said:

Feeling Angry Fist Oneself

Females Always Forego Oral

Freaky Attire Freaks Opponents

First Anniversary of Fierce Orgasm

Fucking Awesome Fabulous Oppenheimer

Honestly there's really no telling which one it could be

Isn't that one called the Futureman? 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Chili dog said:

How about if we just chant, “Big 12 Sucks!”?

I will NEVER do the SEC chant other than in an ironic context, like, say, after winning the conference in our first year… but probably not even then. 

I went to the Texas Bowl in Houston a few years back when Michael Dickson single handedly kicked Mizzou's ass. The crowd definitely chanted SEC SEC SEC that day, but it was in more of a "They s'posed to be SEC" kind of way

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, sidis said:

i'm pretty sure that eric nahlin and justin wells said some unbelievably stupid shit that idiots are using as ingredients for their koolaid.  i suspect the terms "grown ass man" and "now that he's healthy" were used.

it is.  the oline pass protection was probably the worst of the year but for most of the year, it had been better.  and some allowances have to be made when you're lining up against an aranda team. i'm not putting it all on quinn but he was not very good imo.  a ton of his yards came on two wide open passes to sanders by himself.  but, from memory...

• panicking into intentional grounding/safety on the first drive.  launch the ball out of bounds a mile downfield.  don't dink it where there's no where close.
  • horrible pass that missed a wide open sanders up the seam for an easy td with like 6 mins left in first half on third down that leads to settling for a fg.  was a big one because that would have made it a two score, 9 point game instead of a 5 point game.
  • he took a really, really bad sack imo in the two minute drill right before the half that killed the drive before it even started on the play hutson got hurt.  with any vision on it he rolls to the right and at least gets an incompletion.  i definitely won't fault him for the sack on the next play if i remember it correctly as he never had a chance but the first one could have been avoided with any effort or vision.  and that first bad sack allowed them to stop the clock and get a td and the lead right before half.
  • the really bad sack/fumble/scoop and score that was his last involved play discussed ad nauseum.

they were so, so critical and other than the third bullet, they were not really objectively debatable.  but i agree that the oline false starts and ridiculously bad protections did a lot to undermine his chances for success, and whittington really fucked it on one of his better plays.  but it is a good example of a game that when i imagine a team without bijan robinson playing savior for the good guys, i have concerns which was my original point.

and sorry to all the people on here that don't enjoy football discussions.  i am certain there are some threads where you guys can trade some memes and twitter embeds about how we are unbeatable this year and shit.  i will post this again to satisfy your koolaid needs.

7wos1i.jpg

Because understanding that a Freshman quarterback that hadn't seen live action in two years can actually mature means we think the team is unbeatable? Quinn was a mess at times last year, but wtf were you expecting?