Cedar Park Fire

leaf

This whole area is a matchstick waiting to go up off. I worry about all the dead limbs downed during the freeze just going off in the wooded areas around me. Was driving down 620 behind some asshole that flicked a gif out his window and almost road raged him. 

• Rage+1 1

I’ve walked back there many, many times…sometimes as a way to get back home after dropping my car at the Firestone.  Parts of those biking trails are known as Suburban Ninja.  

That apartment complex is right against the woods.  Wouldn’t take much for a cigarette butt or grill dumbassery to light the whole place up. 

Off the trails it is nothing but brush, downed limbs and dried out tinder.  Last time I walked there was probably March, and was surprised to see evidence of a sizable fire about 100’ into the woods from the apartments.  

Fire chief said that it started along Parmer, moved around those Bexley apartments, one building is a total loss with two more damaged.  

Mayor all about thanking everyone from EMS to Abbott to Elvis I guess. 

If it was a fucking dumbass throwing a cigarette out the window…

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Fire chief said that it started along Parmer, moved around those Bexley apartments, one building is a total loss with two more damaged.  

Mayor all about thanking everyone from EMS to Abbott to Elvis I guess. 

If it was a fucking dumbass throwing a cigarette out the window…

That was a weird press conference. They were all slapping each others backs like they have the fire put out already. 

26 minutes ago, Homercles said:

While it’s cool to get the visuals, flying your drone while EMS helicopters and those turboprop Air Tractors are navigating a tight airspace at low altitude is dumb as fuck…

And it's becoming more of a problem - they are close to, if not already, starting to prosecute people fucking around trying to get a video for the likes. I don't know whether it was Canyon Lake or another area, but they had a problem with somebody flying their drones trying to get close-in video of the aircraft scooping up water.

I bet it is.  

Was thinking everyone at Breakaway was shuttling their birds out, but checked ADSBExchange to see a pair of Air Tractors out of Fredericksburg doing pylon turns over the fire.  Went up to my roof to watch them do a few more circuits, then pull up and head east to Exec…doing maybe 150kts at 200ft they’d have zero time to react if they smashed into a drone.  

Bend a main rotor on a chopper would be even worse.  Saw a drone vid of someone flying above the Travis County helicopters altitude.  

Even our mayor, between praising every conceivable person (again, including Abbott for some reason) said it’s a crime to fly them there.  Stupid. 

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

And it's becoming more of a problem - they are close to, if not already, starting to prosecute people fucking around trying to get a video for the likes. I don't know whether it was Canyon Lake or another area, but they had a problem with somebody flying their drones trying to get close-in video of the aircraft scooping up water.

This it interferes with air operations, a few years back during the Dixie fire Calfire had to shut down air because of pubic drones being the way. A quick google and it seems they still dealing with this problem today.

People are fucking stupid 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Homercles said:

While it’s cool to get the visuals, flying your drone while EMS helicopters and those turboprop Air Tractors are navigating a tight airspace at low altitude is dumb as fuck…

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

There's almost certainly a TFR out for the airspace over the wildfire so those drone operators are committing a felony punishable by up to a year in prison and a $100k fine. The FAA is prosecuting a couple dozen of these cases but it's relatively new law still. 

If y'all happened to have gotten the ADS-B info for the drones, you could certainly pass it along to the local FAA office 

Edited by Captainant

Drove by the church off our hood, which is my jump off point for the trails there.  No smoke, a few trucks throwing water back there and the Aggy site says 60% contained…so a bunch of hard mofos put in a ton of work overnight.  

Edited by Homercles
  • Hook 'Em 5

21 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Drove by the church off our hood, which is my jump off point for the trails there.  No smoke, a few trucks throwing water back there and the Aggy site says 60% contained…so a bunch of hard mofos put in a ton of work overnight.  

Yep, those crews kick ass and do not quit. Buddy's lab was real close. He spent all night driving around delivering water and Gatorade. Now he just wants to not smell smoke and get some sleep. Any update on losses? 

Sucks there is no relief in sight. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Yep, those crews kick ass and do not quit. Buddy's lab was real close. He spent all night driving around delivering water and Gatorade. Now he just wants to not smell smoke and get some sleep. Any update on losses? 

Karlan?

17 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I get my info from Austin subreddit, and sounds like a couple of those apartment buildings are total losses.  15 acres.  That’s about all I know

• Hook 'Em 1

I apartment building with 24 units completely destroyed, 3 other buildings partially damaged.  The work done to prevent further loss is amazing.  There is a neighborhood of townhomes nearby that were in the path of the fire and, as I understand, all were spared.  The fire burned all around and right up to that little neighborhood.

• Hook 'Em 2

Pic from Reddit…

You can see the ruined apartment building   

When I’ve walked back from Firestone/Red Horn near the upper-left, I follow that little green line between the apartments and houses, then turn towards the bottom where the trail follows the left edge of that water/foam towards Parmer.   

You can see why those of us bordering this large green space were a little nervous last night…outstanding job to all involved

image.thumb.png.d49114fb4f45f8c4f6d9f84a68d11330.png

• Like 2