Maui is on fire

HiggyBaby

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

Don’t we have a poster that moved to Maui a couple years ago?

1 year ago. Been posting about this on the Food and Travel thread. It’s a heart breaking mad house. 36 lives lost and counting. Hundreds of homes gone, and there’s literally no real estate for these people to move in to. They all will have to leave. I am fortunate to be in Kihei away from this. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5
  • Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Likely lightning but they haven't, as far as I've seen, specified a cause yet. They had been in red flag status and incredibly dry and then got hit by a hurricane. Those winds fueled fire and it spread. 

I read last night it was downed power lines caused by high winds. But that may be outdated info.

13 hours ago, Rip76 said:

Damn

IMG_2269.jpeg

We just went to Fleetwood's last month and had a great dinner.

Lahaina isn't just a nice tourist town.  It's also a point of cultural significance and history for the Hawaiians.  It was the first capital of a united Hawaiian Kingdom.  And its high school is the oldest high school in the United States west of the Mississippi.

It's really just heartbreaking to see it destroyed like this.

20 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

How does such a tropical place get dry enough to burn like that

That's the dry side of the island.  Lahaina and Kaanapali are in the rain shadow of the West Maui Mountain.  So it's pretty dry over there in normal circumstances.  But they've been in a significant drought for a while that has made it even more severe.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, tokamak said:

Thanks for the link. My family and I are trying to figure out how to help the local community as best we can with a direct route of funding. A friend of ours runs a tourist business down there and her van and home have been obliterated.

6 hours ago, Orale said:

I read last night it was downed power lines caused by high winds. But that may be outdated info.

That’s the running theory. The winds were 80+ mph, which made water chopper support unavailable. Just a perfect storm for a terrible time. Some of the tinfoil locals will tell you it was purposely set by real estate developers who have wanted to ruin Lahaina for decades with new construction, in this day and age they may not be so crazy.

5 hours ago, Hermanator said:

How does such a tropical place get dry enough to burn like that

As has been noted, Maui is a place of absurd microclimates. It rains nearly every day in Hana whereas I haven’t seen rain in Kihei in 2 months. Drive out to Hana and you’ll see some of the most beautiful rainforest you can find, head up past Kula and you’ll think you’re in Scotland. 

Edited by Hank_Hill

My daughter's boyfriend is from Maui and she spent a few weeks with his family in Kula last month.  His Dad is a famous surfer and owns a few businesses in Maui.  The boyfriend was going to school in Colorado, graduated in May.  He was planning on moving back to Maui in a couple of weeks and has been a wreck knowing there's nothing he can do to help and not knowing how they were doing.

8 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

That’s the running theory. The winds were 80+ mph, which made water chopper support unavailable. Just a perfect storm for a terrible time. Some of the tinfoil locals will tell you it was purposely set by real estate developers who have wanted to ruin Lahaina for decades with new construction, in this day and age they may not be so crazy.

That’s more likely than the theory on the site for idiots that it was the Dems fault

Edited by HornPhD

4 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

I want to quote this -- this is the best place to donate. HCF will give 100% of all funds directly to victims and restoration. They will not take anything for operating or admin costs. My wife works closely with HCF and with many families in Maui, and she knows firsthand that HCF will do right by any money donated. Please give what you can. 

Every time I turn around there's another disaster that needs funding.  I feel for those people, but man... I'm tapped out.

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Every time I turn around there's another disaster that needs funding.  I feel for those people, but man... I'm tapped out.

Not every cause is for everybody.  Even if you are moved by the cause the time might not be right for you.  Give generously when you can, but don't feel guilty if the time is not right.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Ok, I have to ask a dumb question. Obviously desalination isn't economical at present for our general water shortage issues, but is seawater an option for firefighting and/or de-risking areas of extreme wildfire danger? Just seems crazy that a spot literally on the coast could go up so quickly.

1 hour ago, SuperSport said:

Ok, I have to ask a dumb question. Obviously desalination isn't economical at present for our general water shortage issues, but is seawater an option for firefighting and/or de-risking areas of extreme wildfire danger? Just seems crazy that a spot literally on the coast could go up so quickly.

It's used all the time.  We practiced with it with industrial fire fighting.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Txzen said:

Same issues faced with some the California wildfires - as noted above when the wind is blowing as strong as it was you can’t fly. 

Heartbreaking. Beautiful town, wonderful people. And the banyan tree. Furk. 

The wind was the wildcard all the way through this. It would have been better if the hurricane had passed close enough to get some rain.