Game Day Experience 2023

Bullneck

I posted up my Wally Pryor CSB on the Bill Little thread a couple of weeks ago, but I just thought of another Wally gem that has not been mentioned.
Fall of 1988 early November game against U of H fighting run and shoot cougars.
Houston was blowing our doors off and the final score  was something like U H 66 Texas 13.
Late in the game the crowd was mostly gone and Houston had just scored another touchdown on our hapless D. 
Houston trots out for the PAT...and Wall's words: " ..and it's.....bueno"

First ever Longhorn game. We were way way upper-deck.

7 hours ago, MAUFRAIS said:

I wonder where the 2,000 visitor tickets in the lower bowl will be located next season?

My guess is section 32.

Had it basically confirmed that this is the section they will use when I renewed my season tickets in 31 and I asked about future sec sections. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, half of Outkast?  Kind of a big deal.  Wonder what it cost to bring him in for this one-off show.  My lame ass will be home asleep at 10:30p when the game ends.  But I hope he does something extra for the students after the win.  This is fan-fucking-tastic for recruiting.  

Alabama fans screaming at our players to go back to the projects, A&M firing black people who want to write news articles, and the Texas Longhorns bringing in Big Boi to celebrate the new light show.  Yeah, we're not SEC ready...but we're SEC ready.  We just mean more.  

2nd half stadium atmosphere was pretty damn good tonight IMO, once the team got some big plays to get out of its funk. Student section was strong.

Certainly seemed to me like they turned the volume down on the PA/video board compared to Rice game, though I wonder if fewer empty seats and less echo factors into that at all.

The drone show was cool. I could do without the Journey song continuing to be a thing but the LED lights are a good addition.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just got home from the game. Forst off ... thank God for tube tops. Wow. They are real, and they're spectacular.

The jumbotron speakers are still just way too loud for much of the content they're playing on 'em. Even my 17 yo said so. We sat in the north end and our ears are still ringing.

The drone show was cool. I just wish I wasn't seeing it as we enter the 4th quarter tied 10-10 with Wyoming.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

... and the one lovely young lady on the upper left of the jumbotron who had to keep holding her tube top up ... God bless her. We'll always have tonight. Oh my goodness. She was worth the cost of a ticket all by herself.

Oh, and still, as always ... fuck Bob Cole.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, wood said:

... and the one lovely young lady on the upper left of the jumbotron who had to keep holding her tube top up ... God bless her. We'll always have tonight. Oh my goodness. She was worth the cost of a ticket all by herself.

Oh, and still, as always ... fuck Bob Cole.

Well, at least we have drone show pics 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

Playing Judas Priest's "Breaking the Law" after an opposing team's penalty.... ugh.  It's a fifty fucking year old song.  It isn't clever.  It's K-State power-kitty levels of high-school-level goofiness.  Ditto for "Don't Do Me Like That" after a penalty on Texas.

Playing Quiet Riot, Judas Priest and Metallica is not going to hype up the players. We need to hear the fucking band a lot more. It was so nice to hear the crowd yelling Texas Fight during a long replay without any background music blasting from the Jumbotron to kill it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The overall “light show” is pretty meh. The drones were kick ass.
Volume wasn’t obnoxious for us in the south upper deck.
Journey is still ghey, but the kids sing along, so it’s not going anywhere.
The video longhorn ripping through the opponent’s banner gets old especially when a replay would be better.
Get off my lawn.

4 minutes ago, MrBig said:

We need to hear the fucking band a lot more. It was so nice to hear the crowd yelling Texas Fight during a long replay without any background music blasting from the Jumbotron to kill it.

Yep. It was also nice to hear the students chant "Fuck Wyoming" in response to Wyoming's fans chanting "Don't get up" during the Cole injury timeout.

10 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Well, at least we have drone show pics 

Dude, I tried, but I was too slow. Nobody feels worse about that than I do. Trust me on that!

• Like 1

Agree that the sounds from the jumbotron is still too loud. It was so obnoxious that it made 100,000 people cheering for Bevo and the flight of jets that passed over the stadium during the pre-game sound quiet by comparison.

Maybe if they keep this up they'll blow out the speakers by the end of the Kansas game, and they'll be forced to turn it down.

38 minutes ago, wood said:

Yep. It was also nice to hear the students chant "Fuck Wyoming" in response to Wyoming's fans chanting "Don't get up" during the Cole injury timeout.

Holy shit, is this what they actually said?

I could barely hear them on the other side and just assumed they'd started some Wyoming chant while our guy was obviously seriously injured, which alone was enough to warrant the response they got.

If they actually said that, fuck those guys.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Holy shit, is this what they actually said?

I could barely hear them on the other side and just assumed they'd started some Wyoming chant while our guy was obviously seriously injured, which alone was enough to warrant the response they got.

If they actually said that, fuck those guys.

Yeah I thought the same as you at first, and then a guy in front of us said it was "Don't get up". I think he was right.

I felt like Jumbotron noise level was lower this time around but having 102,000 folks around you helps buffer.

can we not show the sloppy hellraisers every chance you get?

talent in the stands was next level tonight

i hope everyone made it home safe, lots of over served folks roaming the aisles tonight

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So dipshit Bob Cole was actually a bit subdued, compared to his usual over the top carnival barker act.

But that void was filled by the miked up dickhead on the field. The fuckface actually gave instructions on how to do Texas Fight.

Oh! And we have a new thing! After every first down…Bob Cole says: First Down….TEXAS! Crowd says…. “FIGHT!”

Thank God nobody actually did that gay ass high school shit. The best Texas Fights were organic and started by the cheerleaders.

Whoever came up with that idea needs to be shot, along with miked up douchebag.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5
  • Rage+1 1

36 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

So dipshit Bob Cole was actually a bit subdued, compared to his usual over the top carnival barker act.

But that void was filled by the miked up dickhead on the field. The fuckface actually gave instructions on how to do Texas Fight.

Oh! And we have a new thing! After every first down…Bob Cole says: First Down….TEXAS! Crowd says…. “FIGHT!”

Thank God nobody actually did that gay ass high school shit. The best Texas Fights were organic and started by the cheerleaders.

100% this, we go to other stadiums and hear the whole crowd chant with “and that’s another XXXX FIRST DOWN” so we decide to copy it with that weird shit? Stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Yeah, the guy on the field was awful.

We had multiple drunk af WY fans around us that eventually got tossed for try to incite a riot with the entire section. 

“Who wants a TSHIRT!!!!”  Guy is the fuggin worst.  

Bob Cole is still yelling at me through what has to be the loudest PA in sports

Drones would have been better if we weren’t wet farting it up and down the field for 3 quarters.

Tell the lady regulating the escalator that I believe we’re all capable of doing it ourselves.  Line was ridiculous 

• Hook 'Em 3

The beginning of the game was so damn electric. Too bad that Wyoming TD run and our offense sucked all the energy out of the building. But when we pulled our head out of our ass in the 4th quarter, that was as fun of an atmosphere with all the lights.

Only thing that sucked is we were sitting in high up in section 14, so we couldn't see the drone lights at all. 

I listened to some of the game on the radio, and the feed was horrible.  I though it was signal interference or something, but the ads came in crystal clear.  But every time they went back to Craig, all I could hear was background noise, which seemed to include a lot of piped in music.  Can we pitch in and get the radio guys better microphones?

1 hour ago, miguelito said:

I listened to some of the game on the radio, and the feed was horrible.  I though it was signal interference or something, but the ads came in crystal clear.  But every time they went back to Craig, all I could hear was background noise, which seemed to include a lot of piped in music.  Can we pitch in and get the radio guys better microphones?

They need those mics that the brittish soccer broadcasters use.

• Hook 'Em 1

My first home game of the year. I heard the Wyoming fans chanting during the injury but can’t believe they were chanting “don’t get up”.  Nobody would do that. Not even shitty NFL fans in Philly. Probably.  

The emcee on the field with the mike needs to go. Also, I don’t need loud ass “music” between every single snap and every moment the ball isn’t in play. It’s too much. 

I’ll go back to yelling at clouds now. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

After going to the Bama game, our experience seems so amateur in many ways. The Jumbotron is just too loud, the sound quality is TRASH.

Also Bama figured out how to do the LED lights. Not stupid strobe crap. Take down the white lights and just bathe the stadium in orange. Done.

Bama also would just play ambient hip hop beats that would keep the crowd bumping. NOT 40 year old metal that hurts the ears and kills all the energy. Play something recruits will actually like. Damn it, it isn’t hard. The atmosphere seems designed for 65 yr old grandparents.

Bob Cole is horrid. I mean HORRID. He has to go. I found myself wondering what it would be like with someone like Rod Babers doing the stadium commentating.

Overall most of what we were doing looked like something Texas Tech would do, but with us just spending more money on it. Seems like we are trying too hard. Amateur hour.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

I thought the drone show was great.  Bob Cole was definitely more subdued most of the game (I wonder if our comments actually work) but as the game wore on he couldn't help himself.  Let's keep the bitching up.  I think worst thing about gameday experience is (i) shitty big 12 officials that stop the fucking game constantly for conferences because they are incompetent and (ii) the new clock rules that simply result in added commercial time.  The commercial brakes seem longer than ever. Especially in the first half when, combined with our shitty play, the life was just sucked out of the stadium.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ghost of Stevie Ray said:

Tell the lady regulating the escalator that I believe we’re all capable of doing it ourselves.  Line was ridiculous 

uhh, no we really are not capable of doing it ourselves.

i hate to be that guy, but the flow of people does need to be relegated. maybe i am super sensitive to it, but have had a couple semi-scary moments toward the bottom when the crowd got all bunched up. you can get bottled up in those enclosed landings with no where to go, if the flow down is not managed at the top. 

• Hook 'Em 1