Twilight In T-Town: The End of the Nick Saban Era

closetojumping

6 hours ago, ousux said:
7 hours ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:
Milroe is the least of their problems on offense...Buchner would have been sacked maybe 10 times Saturday night.
I hope Milroe hits the portal.

Their center has issues snapping the ball in shotgun...and left tackle needs work for sure.

Amazing (and hilarious) the remaining Brock can’t start on that line

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/13/2023 at 2:35 PM, Teamdirtyleg said:

One of the most annoying things about fans of the bag money schools is their denial that they were unique in their investment, scope and organization of the bag game. The average Bama fan, for example, seems to understand that NIL is hurting their program.  They get that the talent is dispersing.  They just assume everyone paid under the table before and they just were the favorite payors of the players.  They somehow believe this while being unable to explain how NIL is now hurting them and helping other programs.

I don’t know shit but I do not find it a coincidence that Texas agreed to join the SEC for the big pay day within 2 years of pay for play becoming legit and said no repeatedly for decades while the SEC top dogs were running dark money rackets and there was no above board legit path to compete with their methods. 

• Hook 'Em 2

They should try to convince Milroe to move to RB, he'd be a star there as well. Worked for Roshon Johnson.
In the right RPO system I think he would be a decent QB. The deep ball is there when he has receivers that can burn the shit out of whoever has man coverage, but reading defenses and making good decisions based on that info isn't his strongest trait to say the least.

Bama doesn't have guys like Jonathan Allen and Darron Payne in the middle these days. They've got some big, quick athletes, but they're just not as nasty and instinctive. I think the Buchner kid might help them. They've won national titles with guys like that before. McCarron, McElroy, etc. Guys that don't have the mobility or arm than Bryce Young had, but are efficient game managers. 

And their assistants have been average. Having Kirby Smart run your defense and guys like Sark and Kiffin for the offense takes you up a notch. I think those are the key differences between national title Alabama teams and the most recent versions. 

Edited by Woodrow Call
  • Hook 'Em 1

Bama doesn't have guys like Jonathan Allen and Darron Payne in the middle these days. They've got some big, quick athletes, but they're just not as nasty and instinctive. I think the Buchner kid might help them. They've won national titles with guys like that before. McCarron, McElroy, etc. Guys that don't have the mobility or arm than Bryce Young had, but are efficient game managers. 
And their assistants have been average. Having Kirby Smart run your defense and guys like Sark and Kiffin for the offense takes you up a notch. I think those are the key differences between national title Alabama teams and the most recent versions. 
He doesn't have an arm like any of the jag QB's Saban was able to win with..especially compared to McCarron.

4 hours ago, Viper said:

@closetojumping have you given your Bama buddies the number to your banner guy yet?

They are too close to Saban. To say they are shell shocked right now would be indicating that they grasp where they are at the moment.  They are not in a spot where they can fathom what is happening. 

I got a text tonight talking about meeting Texas in the playoffs “if Texas can take care of business.” My response was simple. “Hey man, y’all are a 8-4 team. I am not trying to fuck with you. If you have a record better than that, then the SEC is worse than I thought. “

They never responded. After that USF game, it’s hard to blame them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

They aren't dead yet but Saban has to know what they are. Channel their inner 1992 Bama. Don't try to fix the offense because it's probably not fixable currently. Embrace milroe and his strengths and limit his weaknesses. This defense is good. They tackle very well and still can swarm. One texas game isn't a great indicator that the defense is dead. 

They aren't quite yet late term mack teams but the staff turnover has finally bit them and failed to develop their offense. Who are their offensive analysts? Rees might have to go very soon if they keep dicking around. 

• Hook 'Em 4

22 hours ago, Auto Driller said:

I think we broke the Alabama dynasty. It’s a fitting end.

The bookend juxtaposition is pretty remarkable.

Bama's run starts with a double digit win over Texas after Colt gets hurt, Gilbert not ready for the big stage. Texas with a double digit win, Milroe not ready for the big stage.

Texas in Stormtrooper Whites, Bama in Crimson. Same.

Mack goes away from the offense which brought such success and wants to play smash mouth in the future. Saban wants to play smash mouth football.

There was talk that had Texas won that game, Mack would step down. The writing was on the wall. Saban looks tired. Fan rumblings have started.

Undoubtedly, the Tide will remain good for awhile. But, the monster they were?

When Saban steps down or is forced out ... Is Bama doomed to hire their version of Coach Potato?

• Hook 'Em 1

I think Saban has surrounded himself with yes men. Trying to buy Drake Maye was his most half baked plan of his career. The kid bleeds Carolina blue and most his family played ball at UNC. Nobody in football operations stepped in and said Nick we need a Plan B. 

So Maye of course tells them no, and he pivots to Rees and Buchner. Freeman thought so little of Buchner, he went out and got Sam Hartman. Again nobody points this out, and Bama’s QB room is one of the worst in the conference. 

I’d run the Herman power spread crap with Milroe until they fix it in the off-season. Milroe 20 carries a game is the only way this team will average 30 points a game. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

’d run the Herman power spread crap with Milroe until they fix it in the off-season. Milroe 20 carries a game is the only way this team will average 30 points a game. 

Here's a alternate theory on why he didn't play vs usf: they know this is the only way, and are trying to limit the hits he takes until conference play.

Maybe that's too far fetched, but I can't come up with any other rational reason for why he sat on the bench Saturday while "tweedle dee" and "tweedle how in the fuck am I a scholarship quarterback at Alabama" split reps.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Here's a alternate theory on why he didn't play vs usf: they know this is the only way, and are trying to limit the hits he takes until conference play.

Maybe that's too far fetched, but I can't come up with any other rational reason for why he sat on the bench Saturday while "tweedle dee" and "tweedle how in the fuck am I a scholarship quarterback at Alabama" split reps.

Who the heck knows... Maybe Saban hoped one of QB2 or QB3 would step up in a game??  Give them live bullets and find out.

With bama's OL problems protecting the QB, it sure seems Milroe needs to be their starter.  

Edited by LTtxfan

9 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

If I thought Saban cared one bit about the criticism of not replacing milroe against Texas, I’d wonder if he played the other two vs usf as a “this is what I knew you were asking for” against a team he figured they’d beat anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Who the heck knows... Maybe Saban hoped one of QB2 or QB3 would step up in a game??  Give them live bullets and find out.

With bama's OL problems protecting the QB, it sure seems Milroe needs to be their starter.  

I'm pretty sure this was actually it.  Just trying them out to see if the lights would eventually come on, knowing their defense could beat usf.

Still incredible to see Bama looking for answers in game 3 at the must critical position on the field.