UAW Strike / Absurd Executive Compensation discussion

horn4life

23 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

So we'll continue to pay 100k for a well equipped pickup truck, and some guy with a GED will get 135/hr to push a button so a robot can move it down the assembly line.  And we will like it because if they didn't have that given to them, I can only assume these fucking leaches would be on welfare, taking their blood from there. 

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

You might want to check out what $136/hr comes to. 

Damn, Union so good they already got their workers another dollar per hour!

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

inb4 you jump on the next MAGAtexas bandwagon about how MEXICO TURK UR JURRRBS if plants move to MX

Experts appear split on the contract’s effect:

Some analysts said the higher labor costs will hurt Ford as it deals with price cuts on cars by rivals like Tesla. “It adds a constraint in a very competitive market,” said Jonathan Smoke, chief economist at Cox Automotive, who suggested that Ford may move more production to, say, Mexico to reduce labor costs.

Others were more sanguine, arguing that other carmakers will need to raise wages to keep up. Regarding Ford, “They haven’t agreed to anything that will kill their competitiveness,” said Joshua Murray, a professor at Vanderbilt University who has chronicled the auto giants’ recent troubles.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/27/business/dealbook/ford-uaw-labor-electric-vehicles.html

16 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

But I have no illusions that they truly care about the company beyond our ability to give them work and pay them for it.

That's certainly a reason to care, but as cliché as it is, I believe companies, or at least entrepreneurial growth companies, need to make meaning (as Guy Kawasaki has famously put it) to succeed, and that the profits or revenue they gain from it can't be the only mission in part because it creates behavior patterns that ultimately inhibit success.

At the last two (wildly successful) companies I've worked for people care a lot about the mission and who we work for, i.e. the meaning we try to make in the world, and the comp is treated as tablestakes. The employees all have at least a nominal level of equity, but beyond the vast majority at both places think they are making the world better and it shows up in productivity and results. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

It's wild how badly wall st is reacting to the negotiations - nothing has fundamentally changed but the stock took like a 12% haircut on the announcement. Class warfare seeing the investor class punish Ford for negotiating with the worker class

6 hours ago, Captainant said:

It's wild how badly wall st is reacting to the negotiations - nothing has fundamentally changed but the stock took like a 12% haircut on the announcement. Class warfare seeing the investor class punish Ford for negotiating with the worker class

It's almost like wall street is only focused on quarterly projections, as if they have anything to do with long term profitability or even long term reality.  GTFO.  We will live and die by three month results and we will be thankful!

• Hook 'Em 2

It's over, Johnny.

General Motors Reaches Tentative Agreement With UAW, Potentially Ending 6-Week Strike

General Motors and the United Auto Workers union have reached a tentative contract agreement that could end a six-week-old strike against Detroit automakers.
TOM KRISHER and FRANK BAJAK
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 10/27/2023 at 3:41 PM, Incredulity said:

they are, and hold value much, much better 

Maybe you just didn't understand the question. 

image.thumb.png.82b79b53729b6ecaa99c682ccb37940c.png

image.png.bf44a0eee1647e69708ac96de73d8849.png

Becuase that is certainly not cheaper than an F-150, which is what the poster was asking. Because all these trickle down savings coming. Maybe. Probably not, because if we learned one thing during covid it's that companies love leaving money on the table when they can simply pass costs to consumers or profits into their own pockets. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Maybe you just didn't understand the question. 

image.thumb.png.82b79b53729b6ecaa99c682ccb37940c.png

image.png.bf44a0eee1647e69708ac96de73d8849.png

Becuase that is certainly not cheaper than an F-150, which is what the poster was asking. Because all these trickle down savings coming. Maybe. Probably not, because if we learned one thing during covid it's that companies love leaving money on the table when they can simply pass costs to consumers or profits into their own pockets. 

Nobody buys the RWD starter models.

The starter model F150 is the white commercial model.

We can go 15 rounds about what Tundra and what F150 are apples to apples.  Toyota will be cheaper and will hold its value better.  It will suck on gas mileage and interior wont be as nice.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Incredulity said:

We can go 15 rounds about what Tundra and what F150 are apples to apples.  Toyota will be cheaper and will hold its value better.  It will suck on gas mileage and interior wont be as nice.

I'm guessing that you have no data to support that position

5 hours ago, Incredulity said:

I've bought double digits of these for work in the past few years alone. Which is related to the point we are the market movers in trucks and not rando truck buyers

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, G650 said:

I've bought double digits of these for work in the past few years alone. Which is related to the point we are the market movers in trucks and not rando truck buyers

Didn't this whole discussion get started by fattie or someone else asking for a Toyota/Kia/Hyundai version of a F-250/Silverado HD. We're not even comparing the right trucks.

yep there it is 

On 10/27/2023 at 10:04 AM, fattyflattie said:

I’m not sure about that.  As someone who requires a 3/4-1ton for real life, I don’t see them being replaced. We’ll just grit our teeth, understand your 100k would probably be 70 without the leaches, vote accordingly, and keep hoping they get theirs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, G650 said:

I’m sure Ford sells a fuck load of them.

Point remains a Tundra will be cheaper than an F-150 at every trim level except the base and will be worth  more a year off the lot.

• 3 weeks later...

The fate of the United Automobile Workers union’s tentative contract with General Motors, won after a hard-fought strike, now looks uncertain. Workers at the automaker have unexpectedly pushed back against the terms, prolonging the drama around the Detroit auto industry. https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/15/business/gm-uaw-union-contract.html

It seems like this is 100% of Shawn Fain for not making sure and securing he had the votes, before announcing Mission Accomplished. Either that or he was betrayed somewhere down the line. 

It would be disastrous to scrap this and have to re-start the strike.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, nbmishoid said:

The 25% over 4 yers is5.8%per year.  Good but not gold.   

Sure, but shouldn't that have been communicated up the chain before signaling to everyone and markets that this thing is done? A "we are close, but not there yet, let's sharpen the pencil and do one more pass" could have been helpful a couple weeks ago.

13 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

Sure, but shouldn't that have been communicated up the chain before signaling to everyone and markets that this thing is done? A "we are close, but not there yet, let's sharpen the pencil and do one more pass" could have been helpful a couple weeks ago.

Of course 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, nbmishoid said:

Of course 

Hence my suspension is that Shawn Fain either bungled it (shot his load too fast with bad assumptions) or he was betrayed (was told he had the commitments and votes, but now he doesn't for...reasons?).

If this thing doesn't pass, I think drama ensues and there must be a story.

Edited by BeardIP

5 hours ago, BeardIP said:

The fate of the United Automobile Workers union’s tentative contract with General Motors, won after a hard-fought strike, now looks uncertain. Workers at the automaker have unexpectedly pushed back against the terms, prolonging the drama around the Detroit auto industry.

I smell fuckery. 

• Hook 'Em 2