Texas vs. Wyoming - Game 3 - 7pm on (for the last time) LHN

Pancho

7 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Like I said, grouping students together fixes a lot of things. You can then work that crowd with experiences, camera work, general admission policies, spirit groups, phone interaction, prizes, and welltimed stadium interaction. They also entertain themselves and create unique experiences.

Alcohol fixes the other issues as does winning and playing bigtime programs.

Gimmicks are not why college football is special. The UT gameday experience is bloated to say the least.

And my point is that Gen Z doesn't care about college football.  It certainly doesn't care what makes college football "special."

It's here for the gimmicks.  And that "bloat" is needed to attract them.

I have really bad news for you and the rest of us old guys out there--the Athletics Department is not going to cater to "fans of college football" to the exclusion of "a broader audience."  Because the students today are broadly not fans of college football.
I don't know if you've been paying attention to the interests and viewing habits of Gen Z, but they're not into watching sports (college or professional).  And if all you have on offer is 1) football and 2) a band playing Wabash Cannonball (fucking seriously?), you're not going to attract a whole lot of students.  And that means in ten years, you're not going to have a whole lot of people making donations to the LHF and sitting in those expensive west side stands.
So yeah, Milo--

5ba8485c-1e6e-431c-ae68-ae50f36a2f65_text.gif

This, and I can live with that (I’m not old enough to bitch about hip hop over show tunes anyway), but the Jumbotron is seriously way too loud and it’s just constant right up until the ball is snapped (and sometimes while in play).

There’s a happy medium where they cut the volume a bit and give the crowd a chance to look at the game and get involved.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

And my point is that Gen Z doesn't care about college football.  It certainly doesn't care what makes college football "special."
It's here for the gimmicks.  And that "bloat" is needed to attract them.

They are there for the experience. And since they are grouped together, there are countless ways you can entertain them and just them without jumping the shark for all.

And one thing you do if there’s lack of interest is decrease their ticket allotment. But since they’re grouped together you wont be seeing that. Because they’ll make their own fun. And that will be the best fun without lame corporate gimmicks.

And you wont be seeing that with SEC schools coming in and when demand and FOMO will be all-time high.

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

People like to bitch about the game day experience but it should be catered to the students and players. Sorry if that offends the old timers. Your time on campus has passed and what’s cool has changed. 

image.gif.460f4881d530df6d37d487c3ae170d58.gif

I mean, I get all that, and I love the music, new and old, the drone show, etc. But a whole lot of that shit in between isn't really that appealing to the kids either. My 17 yo & 19 yo complain about it more than I do. They were talking about the nonstop nature of it all and the crowd not getting a chance to just be a football crowd before I was. 

In other words, the usual couching of all of this as a young vs old conflict is missing the point. Would I want to go back to the way it was in '83 when I got to the 40? Hell no. The actual football aside, I'd be bored out of my mind, esp with that atmosphere and the crazy-long tv and other breaks we have now. But this has gone too far in the other direction, and I hear people of all ages talking about just wanting them to slow it down a tad, turn it down a tad, and give the crowd a little bit of a break.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

Like I said, grouping students together fixes a lot of things. You can then work that crowd with experiences, camera work, general admission policies, spirit groups, phone interaction, prizes, and welltimed stadium interaction. They also entertain themselves and create unique experiences.

Gimmicks are not why college football is special. The UT gameday experience is bloated to say the least.

LOL, yep. Someone up high in the upper deck Saturday night kept making paper airplanes and flying them toward the field. The crowd up there reacted to and got into that about as much as they did to the other filler stuff, seeing how far it could fly, how close to the field, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

They are there for the experience. And since they are grouped together, there are countless ways you can entertain them and just them without jumping the shark for all.

And one thing you do if there’s lack of interest is decrease their ticket allotment. But since they’re grouped together you wont be seeing that. Because they’ll make their own fun. And that will be the best fun without lame corporate gimmicks.

And you wont be seeing that with SEC schools coming in and when demand and FOMO will be all-time high.

I really think there's a generational gap here that people aren't seeing between Millenials and Z. 

Millenials really value the wow factor entertainment. They want something exciting and hyped up.  Something to tweet about.

Gen Z really does not value the "guided" entertainment the same way.  They want to do and experience things that are organic and authentic.  In a way, making their own fun is exactly what they want.

Gen Y talks about how fun the last concert they went to was while Gen Z talks about how fun their book club is.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, JBJ said:

I really think there's a generational gap here that people aren't seeing between Millenials and Z. 

Millenials really value the wow factor entertainment. They want something exciting and hyped up.  Something to tweet about.

Gen Z really does not value the "guided" entertainment the same way.  They want to do and experience things that are organic and authentic.  In a way, making their own fun is exactly what they want.

Gen Y talks about how fun the last concert they went to was while Gen Z talks about how fun their book club is.

Good post, and I quoted you over in the Gameday Atmosphere thread. You should chime in there if you haven't already.

8 hours ago, dcar00 said:

I think this is why Gene wanted Ace out of the band.  he copied his makeup too close.

They're not that close, it's just that this chick somehow found a way to bridge the gap by doing what was either a curved Ace or a fat-bottomed Gene.

Heh.

fat-bottomed 🤣

3 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Winning is what brings the crowd. Students in my day didn't give a shit about football, either, and for the same reason students now don't care: More than a decade of decline and suck, followed by another near-decade of suck.

1 hour ago, PvilleStang said:

Ok, "S" did a much better job with the Gene Simmons makeup in that photo there.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

If you win in Texas and Southeast(even Midwest college towns) students show up regardless of the game experience(105 degree temps not withstanding).  This isn't California.

now if you don't win you have to do all the in game experience stuff. hmmm, wonder why we needed to bring up the in game shenanigans to 11.

generally I am OK with all the new stuff. the only real things that bug me are the not hearing the band SOMETIMES and the stupid on field guy with the mic.  I'm not close to godzillatron so the volume doesn't really bother me much.

Now Bob Cole is a totally different issue.  that guy can die in a fire with the stupid Kansas first down call.  next thing you know we'll be waving wheat.  Fuck that guy.

16 hours ago, dcar00 said:

I would add ugly, if true, the Wyoming fans chanting don't get up when Cole was injured.  I still can't believe a) they were chanting during the injury and b) that that is what they were actually saying.

See my post #2664

They were definitely chanting during the injury. Those around me were doing a WHY-OH-Ming but others were probably saying worse as the student section below (next to LHB) got pretty fired up at what they were saying. 

Most of their fans were good, but some of the parents and families surprisingly weren't.  Especially the one across the aisle from me, he was a huge asshole.

Edit: Oh, like many others have already said, long past due to get strip club Bob Cole out of DKR and and any other UT venues.....especially the Disch. 

Edited by BillyGoatHill
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

Ok - which generation gets blamed for the old Jet Pack Guy?  

6 hours ago, PvilleStang said:

Nope, letters aren't in rank.  They're handed down from the older guys as they leave.  Consider there are 50+ guys out there.  The letters are constants, the Horns on either side of Texas changed week in and week out.  Now that the Hellraiser Honeys are folded in to the Hellraisers, I can't speak to the method anymore.

I remember when my friend became president, he said it was a really big deal that he was "moving up" to the T.

Why are we putting Sergio Garcia up on the godzillatron 2.0? Just cuz he is another rich asshole that moved here?  He will gleefully play and or root for the euros in the next Ryder Cup.  Who decides what we put up on that screen?
We had that 3m tribute to t Boone Pickens and really nothing for cedric when all that happened.  
I'm also starting of thinking on getting in the fire bob Cole bandwagon. He was fine when we still had a track around the field and even up to jet pack guy,  but now we got drones. 
Drone strike Bob Cole!

2 hours ago, JBJ said:

And Generation X has mutant powers!

When we are winning students will show up. There were more student all sports passes sold this year than available student seats in DKR. You have to go online the Wednesday before the game to get your ticket, and when they are gone that’s it. I’m not sure when the last time that was the case but it wasn’t last year. 

1 hour ago, dec3169 said:

Ok - which generation gets blamed for the old Jet Pack Guy?  

Jet Pack Guy will always have me shaking my head. Technology so old and stupid it appeared on an episode of Gilligan's Island. 

MV5BNGE5YTliNjgtMjk2Mi00MGY3LWJlYjYtMmQ3YTQxOGI5MDY0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTM2MjM4MTU2._V1_.jpg

Edited by Deej
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

for those of us that can't get to home games, tell us why Bob Cole is so terrible? 

Bob Cole has been characterized above as both a Carnival Barker and as a very bad strip club DJ.  Both are accurate. 

He also fancies himself as the most important guy in every room, and that room includes DKR (and sadly, Disch-Falk). 

Hey Bob -- there's a football game going on -- why not let us watch it without you constantly interrupting it?

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

for those of us that can't get to home games, tell us why Bob Cole is so terrible? 

I didn't know how bad he was till I came to this thread.

But after going to home games for 40 years I now can't shake it. I listened with a critical ear this last week.  Could it of been all the flashing lights gen z requires to entertain themselves or perhaps an awakening sorts?  I left discombulated in all manners. 

It's aiken to those MLB umpires who make over the top strike out signals. We didn't pay to see your antics.

Edited by bigbevo76

15 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

That's true. They love crafting, for example. I mean they fucking LOVE arts and crafts. 

Yeah.  I have met more than one Gen Z who is into ... forging, I think they call it.  Like heating up metal and molding it with some blacksmithing and welding usually involved.  Making ornamental door handles, yard art, and such.

I mean millennials are like 30-45 at this point. That’s a decent chunk of who’s here bitching about the overdone attempt to “hype up” the game atmosphere, myself included.
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, gmr548 said:

This, and I can live with that (I’m not old enough to bitch about hip hop over show tunes anyway), but the Jumbotron is seriously way too loud and it’s just constant right up until the ball is snapped (and sometimes while in play).

There’s a happy medium where they cut the volume a bit and give the crowd a chance to look at the game and get involved.

Yes, yes, yes.

This is getting discussed on the "Gameday" thread, and most everyone there (and on this page) are saying the same things.  

I just totally disagree when some people try to reduce this topic to "Generation (A) is like this, but generation (B) is like that."  People of every age just want to have fun, feel the energy of a crowd, and have a shared experience.  There want to feel like they are PART of something.  They may not leave the house and articulate, "I want to have a communal, shared experience," but that's what they want.  They can get that from Wabash Cannonball or from hiphop or from almost anything in-between.  

What the people at Bellmont absolutely do not understand is this:  When you carpet-bomb the audience with obnoxious, deafening shit every single dead ball -and when you insist that 100,000 pairs of eyeballs direct themselves to the video screen - you're taking away your own home field advantage.  Crowds are not capable of flipping a switch, where they go from passive consumers of the ****LOOK AT ME**** Jumbotron, and then suddenly becoming an active, vocal, cheering, involved part of the game.  

I've never seen a quieter, less-engaged 100,000 people than the ones who hardly stood, noticed, or cheered for the defense when Wyoming snapped the ball on a critical 3rd down in a tie ballgame.  

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I mean millennials are like 30-45 at this point. That’s a decent chunk of who’s here bitching about the overdone attempt to “hype up” the game atmosphere, myself included.

The people who posted here are generally "football people" who aren't going to like it regardless of generation.  I was talking more towards the crowd suggesting that less-interested students need some sort of laser light spectacular to draw them in.

20 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Gen X went into the early 80's. I'll be damn if i ever say i'm a millennial.  Asshole

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1