Texas vs ou - 11am on ABC

Pancho

After watching that Presser I’m convinced Sark is the right guy for this moment in this program.    All I heard was accountability and a sense he knows we are the better team.  He didn’t outright say he’d like another shot at this cock suckers, but you could hear between the lines.  

Any of you who think Sark should go 

suck my dick GIF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

After watching that Presser I’m convinced Sark is the right guy for this moment in this program.    All I heard was accountability and a sense he knows we are the better team.  He didn’t outright say he’d like another shot at this cock suckers, but you could hear between the lines.  
Any of you who think Sark should go 
200.gif

I think Sark is a great coach and a great fit at Texas. However, if we drop another game, fuck Sark. I say that only because the rest of the big 12 is ABSOLUTE GARBAGE. As in, total shit. If he wins out and gets to the conference title game, I’m cool, but if he drops one more game to a sub par team, fuck em. I hope he gets the cancer.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I believe the coaches felt the tempo was aiding the offense in their drive success.  The drive stalled after bowman got hurt and their defense got to break, regroup, and substitute.  I think the plan was tempo to decent fg range and then burn clock. Came up one first down short. 

Well the coaches were wrong. You keep em on the field, prevent subbing, get them to show their defense, change the play if you want, control the game.

8 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Well the coaches were wrong. You keep em on the field, prevent subbing, get them to show their defense, change the play if you want, control the game.

In hind sight this is probably right. No huddle / fast paced stall really. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This is one of the top 5 worst coaching finishes in Texas history

like, this shit is indefensible. Watching it live from the sooner section, i knew we were gonna lose when we were doing this shit. Bush league. 

learned nothing from 2008 tech

2008 we were down 6 and needed a TD. We finally got to first and goal, ran a play, then ran a 2nd play for a TD. So really just one play where Mack and Colt should have slowed it down.

Today was a head scratcher. Defensible in that they liked the rhythm, but yielding control of the game.

In hind sight this is probably right. No huddle / fast paced stall really. 

In realtime we didnt understand why we didnt milk the clock after the first first down of the drive. Wasnt hindsight, just observations of years of watching winning football.

I was doing the milking cow gesture, as opposed to the milking humans one.

3e97f3260b6f13dc5402b767245f3818.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

The issue was running on 3rd & 9 and then settling for a FG on 4th & 4. We ran plays in tempo so Venables couldn't get his checks in to the defense and we were gashing them.

The issue was we couldn't take a sack on 3rd down which was highly possible

12 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

In realtime we didnt understand why we didnt milk the clock after the first first down of the drive. Wasnt hindsight, just observations of years of watching winning football.

I was doing the milking cow gesture, as opposed to the milking humans one.

3e97f3260b6f13dc5402b767245f3818.jpg

I got it during the game too I just thought he determined the fast pace was how we could best move the ball. And for the most part it worked until the second down sack.  Again a difference of one play in a 60 min game. 

Edited by troph

The issue was we couldn't take a sack on 3rd down which was highly possible

And thats a losing mentality. Stupid shit like a sacrifice bunt to avoid the double play. Im sure OU fans were delighted to see a handoff there, forcing our middling kicker to attempt a long field goal with an ample 1:30 left. 50:50 shot he misses. Or at least enough clock for Gabriel to get to work.

2 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

And thats a losing mentality. Stupid shit like a sacrifice bunt to avoid the double play. Im sure OU fans were delighted to see a handoff there, forcing our middling kicker to attempt a long field goal with an ample 1:30 left. 50:50 shot he misses. Or at least enough clock for Gabriel to get to work.

Your no huddle run the clock point is fine. This is high quality bullshit though. Throw the ball incomplete or take a sack and it’s a punt and a FG loses it. The call wasn’t bad. Our run game was working well. The second down RPO sack was the problem.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

After watching that Presser I’m convinced Sark is the right guy for this moment in this program.    All I heard was accountability and a sense he knows we are the better team.  

At what point do we move from “getting it” after yet another loss that will keep us from winning a conference championship to DOING it? OU never seems to have that problem. 

I looked out there today and saw us running a Greg Davis playbook early on and “weathering the storm.” I was wondering if Mack had hacked into Sarkisian’s headset and was making suggestions. It was fucking awful.

OU absolutely owns us. It is shameful. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Sarks a good dude. Good recruiter. But until we get an O coordinator we will always be middle of the road even in a year in which we have everything going for us we still find ways to shit the bed and championship programs don’t.   Many teams turn it around after a year or so. We stay down blowU was dogshit last year and in a year flipped it 

Edited by Sgt Hulk
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Sarks a good dude. Good recruiter. But until we get an O coordinator we will always be middle of the road even in a year in which we have everything going for us we still find ways to shit the bed and championship programs don’t.   Many teams turn it around after a year or so. We stay down blowU was dogshit last year and in a year flipped it 

And maybe find a D-coordinator that at least knows how to fucking stop the QB draw.

MODOK ran that shit on us multiple times and gashed us with it every fucking time.  Our LBers are turrible.  Our D-line, when actually playing well which wasn't today, never holds contain and the LOS in lieu of speeding up the field.  It was like taking candy from a baby.  Dude had 113 yards rushing on us today while their other backs couldn't crack 4 YPC.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

You don't hire a Sark-type coach and then turn him away from his greatest strength.  He's not the mackbrown-texasfootball style CEO.  If we want the CEO-style coach, it's better to fire Sark and find one than try to get Sark to become that.

16 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

At what point do we move from “getting it” after yet another loss that will keep us from winning a conference championship to DOING it? OU never seems to have that problem. 

I looked out there today and saw us running a Greg Davis playbook early on and “weathering the storm.” I was wondering if Mack had hacked into Sarkisian’s headset and was making suggestions. It was fucking awful.

Unfortunate. Annoying. Exasperating.

Shameful? Please. It's a football game.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

This is one of the top 5 worst coaching finishes in Texas history

like, this shit is indefensible. Watching it live from the sooner section, i knew we were gonna lose when we were doing this shit. Bush league. 

learned nothing from 2008 tech

In the moment, i was screaming at my friend that we were snapping it too quickly. 

And if not allowing them to get set was why we were gashing them, then WHY didn’t we run a play when they were in FG BLOCK personnel and not set?

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Rage+1 1

57 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

The issue was running on 3rd & 9 and then settling for a FG on 4th & 4. We ran plays in tempo so Venables couldn't get his checks in to the defense and we were gashing them.

Scipio had the same line of reasoning about why we ran up tempo. He’s correct but it ignores our own ability to dial in the right play as well. They were gassed and had a back up corner who I believe was really a safety. You’re at the OU 49, burn the clock and get the right play in. Ewers was going to make the throw, up tempo or not. Get worthy or AD on that corner and win the game. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Levi said:

Scipio had the same line of reasoning about why we ran up tempo. He’s correct but it ignores our own ability to dial in the right play as well. They were gassed and had a back up corner who I believe was really a safety. You’re at the OU 49, burn the clock and get the right play in. Ewers was going to make the throw, up tempo or not. Get worthy or AD on that corner and win the game. 

This is where I am.  I originally thought the tempo was the key, but that’s not likely true. QE was dialed in and slowing down the no huddle likely wouldn’t have changed the outcome of individual plays but it would have run the clock.

• Hook 'Em 2

1.  Stressful, stressful game. CFB is the greatest and this is the best rivalry game in the country.
  2. Maybe next year they show a stat from 1954 or any other rando year showing how even the series is. 
  3. The end reminded me of the Bama game last year. Left way too much time on the clock at the end. I was hoping we'd go for it on the 4th down as I was worried about Auburn.
  4. Oklahoma looked like the more physical team. They looked like they wanted it more. They played lights out.
  5. Bug Mountain is him.
  6. Ewers balled out despite his mistakes. I think he is a NFL QB on a CFB playoff team, but inexperienced. I wish we had him another year and he never went to OSU.... I expect us to take a step back next year due to graduation/NFL.
  7. Iffy coaching decisions but its easy to criticize in hindsight. Liked the fake punt and the aggressiveness on 4th down, Wildcat pass, etc.
  8. Feed Brooks - please.... He has been amazing. 
  9. OLine missed Majors and looked confused. Maybe that was Venables I'll have to rewatch but cannot stomach it right now.
  10. OU was one of the most penalized teams prior to this game and we have been pretty clean. Generally behind the stick too often.
  11. We were almost good enough to overcome 3 turnovers. Damn...
  12. I'm proud of this team and happy with our season - One loss may get us into the CFB.... Beat the rest of the Hateful8 and the newcomers. 
  13. OU will always suck, even when they win

IMG_3762.thumb.PNG.b401924378e10c4cc4c7a32f98b866a4.PNG

Edited by RAMBONE
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

Unfortunate. Annoying. Exasperating.

Shameful? Please. It's a football game.

And this is why we are 11-18 against ou since 1995, 8-16 since 2000.

oklahoma cares about this game more than Texas. If we win, great! If we don’t, oh well we’re still The University of Texas.

Then we get mad we aren’t winning enough in December/January

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Pancho said:

oklahoma cares about this game more than Texas. If we win, great! If we don’t, oh well we’re still The University of Texas.

I respectfully disagree.  We shit the bed a lot more than we should have over the last 23 years.  We should have won every one of them.

4 hours ago, troph said:

Your no huddle run the clock point is fine. This is high quality bullshit though. Throw the ball incomplete or take a sack and it’s a punt and a FG loses it. The call wasn’t bad. Our run game was working well. The second down RPO sack was the problem.

Isn't it funny? We had just taken a sack and these fuckers on this thread want us to drop back and throw it again. Imagine Surly melting down had we attempted that and got sacked again or even an incomplete?

Also, I said this in another thread and I will say it here. Going tempo is what slowed down OU's defense. However, the negative with tempo is you can't hurry up to the line and then have your linemen sit in stance for 30 seconds. That is a recipe for false starts. So the negative of that is snapping early. That said none of us know if OU would've been still struggling to defend us if we slow all the way down and allow them to both sub and get checks in.

Truth is we lost that on defense when we allowed them to drive the entire length of the field in one minute.

• Hook 'Em 6

Man, this loss is bugging me in a way I haven't let Texas Football bug me in a long time.  Between acceptance of the suckage and the newfound ability to rationalize losses without concluding the program is fucked, I haven't let things bother me much the last few years.

That said, this being Texas-OU, I had this niggling fear that something like this would happen and the first quarter delivered on that fear, big time, bro.  These games where we are both ranked, both undefeated, and --relatively-- evenly matched are rare and the "rivalry game weird shit" factor seems ever-present.

I am pretty sure, but can't prove, that if we had managed to score on that opening drive, the game would have turned out differently and the heroics on the fake kick and blocked punt would have gone toward building a lead in other situations instead of merely securing a tie and our defensive struggles may have made it a closer game than anyone wanted, but without incurring the loss.

I still think the psychology of this team is a bit delicate.  But it is encouraging that we didn't completely roll over.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

My biggest issue with our last drive was IF sark was playing for the FG, which I was ok with, then why the fuck didn’t we milk the clock more? I was at the game surrounded by a shit ton of fans yelling “what the fuck are you doing?”. Super confusing to go tempo and play for a FG. At worst I felt like you play for the FG and kick it with 20 seconds left and if you miss it then we go OT. I don’t understand why the sark defenders can’t just say the clock was mismanaged? Because it was. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

I have this feeling, too, that Sark doesn't entirely trust Ewers or the OL and that affects his playcalling.  Sure, most of the time it doesn't and the gameplan and playcalling assumes that we'll get the good versions of Ewers and the OL and not the wtf versions (explaining at least partially why we force the passing game when the run seems to be working).  But when it's nut-cutting time, I think Sark pulls his punches some out of fear that one or both will fuck it up.

Sure, he has rather stubbornly stuck with Ewers despite the mistrust, because he trusts the backup(s) even less.  That may not and hopefully is not true with Manning, but there are other factors at play there, including and especially the commitment to give him a redshirt year and get him fully acclimatized.

5 hours ago, Pancho said:

Well, there is the explanation, too, that Mack and Stoops are kind of polar opposites as far as coaching goes and that accounts for 8 of those 18 years.  The other 10 were marked mostly by inferior coaching and talent.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Yeah, tempo helped Quinn and gave the blOU defense troubles.  Negative plays and pre-snap penalties really hurt the Texas offense. 

I was really surprised that the Texas o-line didn't play better - Banks got his ass whipped a few times so I'm wondering how healthy he was yesterday.  Losing Majors early definitely hurt Texas.

The blOU hurry-up offense took away the effectiveness of our DL, which put more pressure on the LBs and secondary. We lacked discipline in our pass rush lanes which allowed Gabriel to escape and run too many times. Gbenda and Ford did not have good games.  Catalon getting hurt really caused problems too.  It just seemed like the defense was really off yesterday.  

Frustrating, but time to quit smelling our own farts and get back to work.  This is a good team that must keep improving if they really want to be great.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

My biggest issue with our last drive was IF sark was playing for the FG, which I was ok with, then why the fuck didn’t we milk the clock more? I was at the game surrounded by a shit ton of fans yelling “what the fuck are you doing?”. Super confusing to go tempo and play for a FG. At worst I felt like you play for the FG and kick it with 20 seconds left and if you miss it then we go OT. I don’t understand why the sark defenders can’t just say the clock was mismanaged? Because it was. 

Here's where my theory about mistrust comes into play.  Ewers was dealing that drive, using tempo.  Sark was afraid to change that lest something bad happen, like the sack.

I don't think it was a "FG drive" until the sack happened.  And the fact of the sack changed everything.

I'm not sure Sark was really considering the clock, which is in error, but I think he was also trying to keep the drive alive for a score and afraid to tamper with what was working.

We're never going to eliminate player and unit error, but I think as the line continues to develop and maybe Ewers moves on, we may see better clock management when Sark trusts his players not to do shit like give up a sack on a critical drive.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, Pancho said:

Correct. If OU would have lost this game they would blow out, I mean by huge numbers like 70-10, the next 6 teams to get back into the playoff conversation. And that momentum would carry over to the Big 12 Championship. Texas needs to get back into it and prove why they’re still one of the Top 10 teams in the country. 

14 hours ago, mdmost said:

Defense was really bad, could barely get pressure, and couldn't get the final stop we needed. The O-line was terrible. To get 4 shots on the 1 yard line and you can't push through was about as bad a series as I've seen out of a Texas OL. OU had no such issues when they needed to get into the endzone inside the 5. Ewers was not good and Sark kept leaning into him. Ewers really seems like a 50/50 player. When he's good, he's great. When he's iffy, he's not going to do enough to get it done. I don't put too much blame on Brooks today. It's hard to get yards when your OL gives up the middle on almost every play that's designed to go that direction. We've been playing with fire all year with these slow starts and not winning all 4 quarters and it finally burned us. This one is going to hurt for a while.

You guys have ALL got me thinking. Dreams/nightmares all night. So I mentally went to film room. Whacked the game in reverse. Who lost it? Well, to begin with, the guys (plural) who left the receiver open in the corner of the end zone. OR the guys who didn’t get to the QB before he threw (just missed him, just) But then the guy who got the penalty that moved them into range for the short pass. But then the guys (plural) who left squirrel Stoops open for a huge gain. Oh, and the guys who couldn’t play properly (no one can) the stupid prevent defense that allows the QB and receivers forever to hook up b/c we’re playing soft to let them march down the field sloooowly and “run out the clock”. Skipping some plays it was the Worthy who didn’t reach the ball across the line a split second sooner (sic). Or the Olinemen who couldn’t push ou off the goal line for ONE YARD! For 4 PLAYS! Keep watching the tape with me fellow arrogant humans. We’ll see missed tackles. Several Foolish kickoff returns starting us inside the 20. Lost fumble our QB. Dropped int in the End Zone. (Note: the high throw/dropped pass/big hit on Sanders, while troublesome, was covered by the ST TD on ensuing ou drive). But it definitely demonstrates we have a SEVERE red zone disease) I won’t belabor the one hundred missed blocks (count them all) of the Oline. That matters a great deal to our running game and QB play. Yes, the Dline was held. A lot. That’s actually not a glitch, that’s a feature of Big 12 reffing (rhymes w…u know). Prob won’t be much different in future. Watch all the mistakes all the way to our starting center going down. Which explains but do3s not excuse poor Oline blocking. Then get all the way to the first quarter. The terrible read/throw by Ewers while A. D. fails to work back to the QB. That play had two missed reads by QE, poor pass blocking and lazy receiver work. Worthy was open quick.  I also point to that moment as the WTF are we doing? Because, watching more tape, in pregame the interviews (yes very thorough film study) I heard our fearless leader saying let’s go out and “have fun”. Really? Have fun? Texas ou IS FUN! When we WIN! Like 49-0 FUN! I’m not even going to watch all the surly film/posts. But I guarantee you sobs and chicas didn’t os your part. The negative Zen/karma/reverse positivity and unbridled arrogance of some of us wasn’t helpful at all! So. WE lost the game! None of us scored a touchdown, made a tackle, kicked a potential game winning field goal, neither caught nor threw a pass. Nobody actually drew up nor coached our people to defeat the opposing OC/DC/SC. How many called the fake punt on 4th? Or the punt block? Be honest. (I know…surly). But that’s my point. We all rant a rave during the game. But be real about it. Maybe one or two of us would get ANY NIL money in todays market. We get to play second guessers for all the mistakes made by coaches and players. We’re usually RIGHT too! After the fact. Or calling plays from our couches/tents/sports bars. That’s the joy of surly. Just spare the hate for our players/staff until it’s all played out. The game thread was so over the top  ( I know surly) but it feeds other negative boards and supports our opponents more than our own people. Peace out Buddhists. Speared good karma Hindus. More positivity new agers. Embrace the hate as the MOC McConaughey would say. “My people have always suffered this way”  my Jewish rabbi would say. Although Psalm 11:6 says God will rain fiery coals and burning sulfur down on them (His enemies). Jesus wants us to pray for them. DKR said “Angry men win football games.” He said that but I watched James Street, Steve Worster, Ted Koy and Jim Bertlesen RUN for 500 years per game with a mixture of party animals and very focused, talented athletes.

In summation, aka TL/DR lighten up Francis. College football is reaching parity and in ways we may never have seen. Be encouraged and quit acting like a bunch of bitchy twitchy meth-head, fentanyl sucking …. Oh nvm . It’s a team loss. Take it bitches. Let’s win out! 

“He ain’t the guy” is so lame. No. WE ain’t the guy, arrogant assholes! 

• Hook 'Em 2

First time ever that I felt we were doomed after the opening kickoff.  Got nailed trying to return it, OU was super excited, our guys looked stunned and they kicked our ass the rest of the game.  Just piss poor attitude, whatever the reason.

I feel like Kick Returner is not that special a skill that we cant just bench a guy for getting tackled inside the 20. I love Keilan but he made 2 HUGE mistakes yesterday along with the running into the flopper that extended their first FG drive and got their offense into rhythm 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

Also with kick returns it seems like the downside and likelihood of starting a drive at the 15 is much higher than the upside and likelihood of getting a runback. 90% of all good returns get nullifed by a penalty anyway.

Think of it like a stolen base. Yeah it would be nice to be at second base. But it would hurt alot more to get thrown out. Returners should be coached to fair catch unless they are damn sure or until the rules make it mor advantageous to return

8 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Spot on. So many don't understand this.

And that's out problem.

Plus, I don't think Texas HATES ousux the way ousux HATES Texas.

That's why we're pussies.  We'll continue to piss the leg when Texas admin, coaches, players, alums see the paperclip helmet.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

he wasn't playing for a field goal, the sack on 2nd down changed everything.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1