Israel-Hamas war thread

Brisketexan

Regarding the second carrier group deploying, this WSJ article mentions that it was a scheduled deployment. (https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/israel-hamas-war-gaza/card/u-s-weighs-deploying-second-aircraft-carrier-group-i4fMGkmj7mGmlQCNqW1W), It's pay-walled, so I couldn't read the rest, so I'm hoping someone else might have other sources to provide additional context.

I'm not at all knowledgeable about the topic, but I'm sure that along with the USS Gerald Ford already out there, it's not an unexpected show of force.

I dated an Israeli in high school. She also went to UT. I haven’t spoken to her in many years, but these events made me reach out to her. So in my little world, thousands of miles away from the conflict, there is a positive…reconnecting with a friend. Fortunately, her family is basically halfway between Lebanon and Gaza, so far from the action so far.

/csb

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I dated an Israeli in high school. She also went to UT. I haven’t spoken to her in many years, but these events made me reach out to her. So in my little world, thousands of miles away from the conflict, there is a positive…reconnecting with a friend. Fortunately, her family is basically halfway between Lebanon and Gaza, so far from the action so far.

/csb

Dude. Rules.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, TejanoAtUT said:

Regarding the second carrier group deploying, this WSJ article mentions that it was a scheduled deployment. (https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/israel-hamas-war-gaza/card/u-s-weighs-deploying-second-aircraft-carrier-group-i4fMGkmj7mGmlQCNqW1W), It's pay-walled, so I couldn't read the rest, so I'm hoping someone else might have other sources to provide additional context.

I'm not at all knowledgeable about the topic, but I'm sure that along with the USS Gerald Ford already out there, it's not an unexpected show of force.

So it was scheduled but we still sent our bro dozer with truck nuts and LED rack lights. 

• Hook 'Em 3

So it seems like Israel is going to unleash hell on Iran. In the past when they've done limited strikes I feel like Iran hasn't done much in terms of an immediate response. I would think if Israel is going to start dropping bombs on Iran it's going to be pretty devastating this time around. How does Iran respond? I assume they unleash Hezbollah at which point Lebanon enters the chat and off we go? 

Or is there somehow the potential this is a short war where Israel flexes its muscle and everybody decides they aren't quite ready to all die?

29 minutes ago, TejanoAtUT said:

The U.S. may deploy a second aircraft carrier near Israel, U.S. defense officials said, an escalation of the U.S. military effort to deter regional powers from joining the war between Hamas and Israel.

The USS Dwight D. Eisenhower and its accompanying ships were scheduled months ago to sail this week for the Middle East. They are expected to reach the Middle East in roughly two weeks, defense officials said.

The USS Gerald R. Ford and its accompanying ships, some of which have nuclear capabilities, are expected to arrive later on Tuesday, defense officials said. The Pentagon is considering, but hasn't formally decided, whether the Eisenhower would relieve the Ford or both groups would remain, defense officials said.

The U.S. last had two carriers in the region in 2020 after a deadly rocket attack on Camp Taji in Iraq killed two American troops and one British service member.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Arnold Schwarzenegger Shut Up GIF - Arnold Schwarzenegger Shut Up Kindergarten Cop GIFs

Fuck.  Take this shit to the cloak room.  (Also, FWIW, per today's WH press briefing, not a penny of those funds have been spent.)

A discussion about whether Iran is in fact funding Hamas is political?  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

34 minutes ago, TejanoAtUT said:

image.gif.9cb49d685d62ad2918c001eb1b04c937.gif

1 minute ago, Buzzrock said:

We can all relax now. 

It's a diplomatic social media post that he knows will be read all around the world.  That's why it reads like a greeting card.  Did you want him to make multiple posts discussing specific strategies, tactics, and logistics?  Particularly given the integrity of the site he's on?  

• Hook 'Em 6

Just now, YGIFS said:

It's a diplomatic social media post that he knows will be read all around the world.  That's why it reads like a greeting card.  Did you want him to make multiple posts discussing specific strategies, tactics, and logistics?  Particularly given the integrity of the site he's on?  

You can relax now.

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

/csb

Okay cool guy. If we are going to rehash ex Jewish girlfriends, then we are going to need a new thread 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Hey, I was just saying it was a pretty good interview between 2 people who don't really care for each other much and were able to have a 14 minute conversation without straying from the topic much at all.  Sometimes seeing disagreeable people present a well-rounded opinion (that was nowhere near what you are thinking it is I'm saying) about a topic gives me hope that somehow, someway, we'll eventually climb out of the shit slinging phone booth we've been stuck in.  

You definitely shouldn’t watch Frank Luntz’s segment from Squawk Box this morning then. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Doesn't mean it didn't happen, but should probably wait a bit for full confirmation until we take this as a fact.

Beheadings or not, they are slaughtering children, toddlers, infants.  I've seen video and pictures of infant car seats, boosters, etc absolutely soaked in blood, a few of them clearly from a gunshot to the head based on the blood location and amount.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BlueGreySky said:

Beheadings or not, they are slaughtering children, toddlers, infants.  I've seen video and pictures of infant car seats, boosters, etc absolutely soaked in blood, a few of them clearly from a gunshot to the head based on the blood location and amount.  

They call this "Thursday at a Checkpoint" in the West Bank. 

Someone touched on this a little earlier, and I haven’t caught up on the whole thread but: every Jewish friend and family member I’ve reached out to has really appreciated it. Just a word of support to let them know that others are thinking about them really means a lot. Most have friends and distant, if not close, relatives there that they are worried about. 

18 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Not sure you caught my sentiment. But that’s for the CR. 

26 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

So it seems like Israel is going to unleash hell on Iran. In the past when they've done limited strikes I feel like Iran hasn't done much in terms of an immediate response. I would think if Israel is going to start dropping bombs on Iran it's going to be pretty devastating this time around. How does Iran respond? I assume they unleash Hezbollah at which point Lebanon enters the chat and off we go? 

Or is there somehow the potential this is a short war where Israel flexes its muscle and everybody decides they aren't quite ready to all die?

I'm not sure about that.

For one thing, I don't think it's at all clear that Iran is coordinating this.  Iran supports Hamas; that's apparent.  But I don't know that Iran put Hamas up to this.

If Iran were coordinating this, it seems to me that you'd also have Hizbullah also attacking Israel from the north.  The fact that you don't see anything more than a handful of rocket attacks--something that could be put together on a very spur-of-the-moment basis--indicates to me that Hamas may have completely Leroy Jenkinsed this shit.

But for another, Israel has its hands full right now.  It still has infiltrators trying to kill Israelis in Israel. It doesn't yet have its defenses fully manned in the north.  I don't think it really wants to bite off a full-scale war against a major regional power without first securing its own situation.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Buzzrock said:

Not sure you caught my sentiment. But that’s for the CR. 

I got it.  But there are plenty of people of all stripes who want all our leaders of all stripes to start blowing shit up and telling us all about it. 

It reminds me of when Farley used to do Stormin Norman on SNL during the first Gulf War.  He'd hold the press conference and he'd show photos and maps of our complete strategy and impact in Kuwait/Iraq.  But then somebody would ask him something innocuous like, "What are the troops eating there" and he'd flip out like that question was out of line and classified.  Used to crack me up, that impression.  

But this is going to be a very delicate tightrope for Statesman.  For once, lotta people gonna be relieved we have so much hardware and access in Saud and UAE.  Will make this much less awkward than it already is.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

I don’t know why this is being used as some got you when we’ve had multiple international news agencies report the information (CNN, CBS, I24, LCI). Are we saying that we can’t trust those sources when they have people on the ground the verify the claims?

Even if that particular thing didn’t happen, does that change anything at all. 

“See, guys, it wasn’t THAT bad.”

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I'm not sure about that.

For one thing, I don't think it's at all clear that Iran is coordinating this.  Iran supports Hamas; that's apparent.  But I don't know that Iran put Hamas up to this.

If Iran were coordinating this, it seems to me that you'd also have Hizbullah also attacking Israel from the north.  The fact that you don't see anything more than a handful of rocket attacks--something that could be put together on a very spur-of-the-moment basis--indicates to me that Hamas may have completely Leroy Jenkinsed this shit.

But for another, Israel has its hands full right now.  It still has infiltrators trying to kill Israelis in Israel. It doesn't yet have its defenses fully manned in the north.  I don't think it really wants to bite off a full-scale war against a major regional power without first securing its own situation.

My best guess is a little of everyone's speculation: Iran probably prodded Hamas' leaders to do something that could fuck up the diplomatic goings on between SA and Israel, Hamas' leaders probably ordered its guys in Gaza to do this (not thinking they'd have the "success" that they've had), and it only worked so well for them because Israel ignored the obvious warning signs.

4 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

I don’t know why this is being used as some got you when we’ve had multiple international news agencies report the information (CNN, CBS, I24, LCI). Are we saying that we can’t trust those sources when they have people on the ground the verify the claims?

It's not some gotcha. Shit gets misreported all the time during conflicts for good and bad reasons, so I think it's important to note when shit turns out to be inaccurate.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

They’re not verifying independently. They all seem to reference back to the same source. 

Taking the time to behead multiple infant does seem like a next level of extra…enough to warrant suspicion on that specific claim. 

That said it doesnt change anything in the big picture because Hamas is on video killing dogs, men, women, elderly, child, whole family all non-discriminatively so they’ve already gone far beyond the pale. 

• Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Yes.

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

In what I'm sure is completely unrelated news, USS Nimitz and HMS Prince of Wales just sailed out of Norfolk.

RDML Couture upon arrival, "Where the fuck is my ship?  What the hell have you done with my ship?"

PO3, "Uh, a couple of sailors took it to get it washed Admiral."