Seven Win Steve Rides Again!

closetojumping

11 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Then he should be fired.

For winning 35-6? Im not sold on Steve as a long term fit here but it is rare to get to play a conference opponent and get to experiment. Yesterday's game was a fact finding mission that will serve us well next week and further into the season. 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

He was using the BYU game as a scrimmage. 

That could be true in many respects. But it still doesn’t explain 50% RZ TDs over the entire year. Going into UofH we were around 42% which put us at 12th in the Big 12z I understand wanting to get the OLine and players to “gel” in the red zone during BYU game and forcing them to punch it in but it’s becoming a recurring theme. Take the points from here on out. Luckily we didn’t need the points against BYU. We will moving forward. 

I thought overall solid second half for the most part. We didn’t drop the game which was the main objective when your starting QB cannot play. That and getting Maalik as many different looks and things as we could. Unfortunately next Saturday we are on the fast track. I do hope down the line Sark relinquishes a lot of the OC stuff to an up and coming OC…but I don’t think that happens. Our talent level is not going to allow us/that and this group’s perseverance won’t let us lose many games. It’s the in game situational stuff that may continue to take hits if he stays heavily involved in the offense. 

I don’t want to go coach shopping again. Sark has many things I like. He’s doing a lot of things right. But this is one thing down the road that has to be addressed. 🤘🏼 Hook’em! We won. We didn’t drop a game. Players went out and balled. Maalik got some experience. Sark got to see where he’s at in game play. You never know until they get out there. Just worried about injuries and the RZ. We aren’t scary if we can’t punch it in and don’t take the points. But I am proud of the team, Sark and the win yesterday. Take the points lol! 

Edited by Nicole44

3 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

Yep. Not kicking those FGs was idiotic. I am all for being aggressive but that was incredibly stupid 

3 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

He was using the BYU game as a scrimmage. 

that's how i see it too.  next week, he needs to settle for the fg's (frustrating as it may be).  but there was a 0% chance that byu was gonna drive the length of the field and score on us so i don't mind him working on finding solutions to our redzone issues in a real game situation.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

First time in program history we have scored 30+ points in 8 games straight, we are 7-1 with two of the highest rated QB’s ever on our roster, all American OL at multiple spots and we just won 35-6 with our backup QB. You want to fire him lulz. This weekend has been the hall of fame of stupid fucking posts. I just read that worthy should benched for not catching passes…now that Malik is in… but it apparently was all Quinn’s fault before lulz. Keep ‘em coming 

Well said. Sark gets an A for program building/recruiting but, sadly, seems to be about a C when it comes to game management. It's disappointing because the latter is why he was hired in the first place. I hope he can evolve because if the game management catches up, we could have something special here.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Well said. Sark gets an A for program building/recruiting but, sadly, seems to be about a C when it comes to game management. It's disappointing because the latter is why he was hired in the first place. I hope he can evolve because if the game management catches up, we could have something special here.

While I agree with your sentiment I think that talent acquisition will help overcome the head scratching game day calls. I really believe damn near all coaches let their ego guide their calls, the great ones made sure and had the talent to overcome their bad calls. I’ve seen on here multiple times that Kirby smart is a meat head dipshit, so I’m not sure how that makes him some game day savant. That Oregon coach who was his DC is definitely a meat head prick and he seems to be doing just fine. Les miles and Ed orgeron have rings and I don’t remember them having a staff that was really special mainly because they were hard to work for. 

• Hook 'Em 3

15 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

I more worried about Sark doing meathead things Herman would do like twice late with a 15 point lead insisting on trying to punch it in and failing instead of taking 3 points, making it a 3 score game yada yada yada.  Yea it didn't burn us there because BYU is pretty shit but just play smart football, not meathead football. 

That is that bitchass PlayStation Pac-12 football that scrub got ingrained into. Unlike Alabama we don't have someone with firing synapses to tell him to fuck straight off.

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I generally hate FG. Settle for them too often and you will get beat. 
I love FG to go up 3 scores in the late 3rd or early 4th Q. Take the points in that situation there bro. 

You can't have the collapse profile Sark brings to the table if you are pragmatic. Its like you don't even watch the Astros bro....

• Hook 'Em 1

For winning 35-6? Im not sold on Steve as a long term fit here but it is rare to get to play a conference opponent and get to experiment. Yesterday's game was a fact finding mission that will serve us well next week and further into the season. 

If a coach treats a conference game like a scrimmage, then that coach should he fired. But thats not what happened I suspect.

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

If a coach treats a conference game like a scrimmage, then that coach should he fired. But thats not what happened I suspect.

I doubt he went into the game thinking that. But it was pretty obvious by the 2nd Q that BYU was overmatched. We were never going to lose that game and it was pretty obvious we tried out some things without worrying about a loss

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

I doubt he went into the game thinking that. But it was pretty obvious by the 2nd Q that BYU was overmatched. We were never going to lose that game and it was pretty obvious we tried out some things without worrying about a loss

I also doubt it, but there’s a narrative floating around that Sark was treating this game like a scrimmage.

6 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

I also doubt it, but there’s a narrative floating around that Sark was treating this game like a scrimmage.

I don't think it's scrimmage mentality, I think it's simply Sark being stubborn and doubling down on his beliefs and trying to establish program identity.  He wants Texas to be a program that exerts their will on opponents, smash them in the mouth and win the day (and all that crap that sounds cheesy, but is actually pretty important).  That high level agenda is really important, but that's a long game strategy (years sometimes) and you still have to play smart situational football in the moment.  I thought it was bat shit crazy not kicking those field goals to make it a 3 possession game, but I'm not the one who is going to get fired if Sark doesn't make Texas a consistent national contender within the next few years.  He seems to have a vision of what he wants Texas football to be and he's stubbornly sticking to it.  I'm not sure if that vision is right or wrong or if he's the guy to make it happen, but I like the commitment and consistency.  We've been wandering in the desert without a real identity for too long.  As much as some of the calls drive me crazy, Texas is playing a really solid and sustainable style of football in my opinion.    

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

This needs to be pinned somewhere for everybody to see. All the negative shit we read on here and you’d think we were staring down a 5-7 season again. I never assumed the shit talking would ever completely stop but it’s unbelievable that it hasn’t even missed a beat haha. It’s almost like some of these fuckers are waiting to lose just to validate their beliefs of sark. Mind bottling. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Fuck You 1

7 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

I'm a Sark fan, but passing up a FG there (twice) was just monumentally stupid.  

Objective number one:  Win.  The.  Game.

The math says those three points are very meaningful.  If a FG takes you from an 11-point lead to an 14-point lead, then it's still a 2-score game, and I suppose you can argue going for the TD.  But the lead was 15 points, and tacking on a FG is *HUGE* right there.  It makes it a 3-score game with less than a quarter to play.

Failing to punch it in (shocker) also totally energized the BYU sidelines and their fans.  

If BYU had gotten lucky on those possessions and hit a deep jump ball, or if our DB fell down - or whatever - then they would have been kicking off in a 1-score game with ALL the pressure on our offense.

Yes, we were the better team, and we got a couple of late scores and pulled away at the end of the game.  That doesn't make those decisions less stupid.  

There's a time to let your nuts hang.  There's also a time to take the FG and kickoff with a 3-score lead.

This is 100% correct. Scrimmage my ass. Back up QB playing up two scores early in the 4th you can go up 3 scores. There’s your context. Take the points. Maybe up 3 scores you go for the jugular on a 4th down but not up only 2 scores. Not in this context. Stupid call. 

This needs to be pinned somewhere for everybody to see. All the negative shit we read on here and you’d think we were staring down a 5-7 season again. I never assumed the shit talking would ever completely stop but it’s unbelievable that it hasn’t even missed a beat haha. It’s almost like some of these fuckers are waiting to lose just to validate their beliefs of sark. Mind bottling. 

It’s a cherry picked stat starting with WVU last year, after Texas had taken two losses on the year, one of which was absolutely a headset loss.

Sark’s done a nice job rebuilding the roster and assembling a staff that has shown some ability to develop talent. Coaching has cost Texas multiple games under Sark and there’s no sign that pattern will change. Acknowledging that isn’t wanting him or Texas to fail, and the weird bootlicking shitick doesn’t make it any more likely that it will improve.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Buncha fucking Derkas on this thread.

You motherfuckers have all been proven wrong, yet, you insist again and again that you're right and Sark is wrong. 

He pocketed a win, and you're still shaking your collective fists at the moon.   Keep on keeping on, you Derkas.  
Shine on you crazy diamonds. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

57 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

It’s a cherry picked stat starting with WVU last year, after Texas had taken two losses on the year, one of which was absolutely a headset loss.

Sark’s done a nice job rebuilding the roster and assembling a staff that has shown some ability to develop talent. Coaching has cost Texas multiple games under Sark and there’s no sign that pattern will change. Acknowledging that isn’t wanting him or Texas to fail, and the weird bootlicking shitick doesn’t make it any more likely that it will improve.

Cherry pick me a 17 game stretch since 2009 that’s similar. 17 games where you thought we were turning a corner as a program. The 10-4 season under herman comes to mind, but there ain’t no way your negative ass ever felt good about herman lol. Our recruiting was haphazardly slapped together, we turtled constantly and if we had ever lost Sam for a long stretch we would have been fucked. Coaching usually costs most programs a couple games a year unless you’re willing to get in the mud with Georgia or Alabama. Speaking of, Nick saban the greatest to ever do it hired BOB and probably cost himself a title. If Saban catastrophically fucks up from time to time, what do you expect of the average coach? I’ll take being 7-1 after 8 games, ugly or pretty.

• Hook 'Em 5

9 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

While I agree with your sentiment I think that talent acquisition will help overcome the head scratching game day calls. I really believe damn near all coaches let their ego guide their calls, the great ones made sure and had the talent to overcome their bad calls. I’ve seen on here multiple times that Kirby smart is a meat head dipshit, so I’m not sure how that makes him some game day savant. That Oregon coach who was his DC is definitely a meat head prick and he seems to be doing just fine. Les miles and Ed orgeron have rings and I don’t remember them having a staff that was really special mainly because they were hard to work for. 

I have had this sense that Sarkisian still cannot believe his eyes with the execution errors.  He calls stuff that, if executed, would work, but often isn't executed.  He must get these guys doing this stuff pretty routinely in practice only to have it blow up in his face come game time.

And it may explain why he a) thinks this will work in game time and b) thinks it's important to attempt and execute, during game time, as opposed to practice.

It was worse when the talent was less than it is now, but it still seems like a thing.

The simple way to say it is we don't have Alabama talent yet, or early 2000s USC.  I think Sark intellectually understands that, but cannot believe the way these guys fuck up his playcalling from time to time.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Cherry pick me a 17 game stretch since 2009 that’s similar. 17 games where you thought we were turning a corner as a program. The 10-4 season under herman comes to mind, but there ain’t no way your negative ass ever felt good about herman lol. Our recruiting was haphazardly slapped together, we turtled constantly and if we had ever lost Sam for a long stretch we would have been fucked. Coaching usually costs most programs a couple games a year unless you’re willing to get in the mud with Georgia or Alabama. Speaking of, Nick saban the greatest to ever do it hired BOB and probably cost himself a title. If Saban catastrophically fucks up from time to time, what do you expect of the average coach? I’ll take being 7-1 after 8 games, ugly or pretty.

Sure thing, that can be done. Tom Herman was 14-4 and 9-3 in conference, including a CCG appearance and NY6 win, from week 2 of 2018 until the OU game in 2019. Mack was 12-5 from the last aggy game through game 1 in 2013. See what arbitrary cutoffs can do?

You’re talking like I or anyone else is unhappy with the result date this year. Feel free to point out where that’s been said. What being 7-1 doesn’t change is being able to see issues on display. You choosing to be willfully ignorant doesn’t make someone who isn’t overly negative.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I have had this sense that Sarkisian still cannot believe his eyes with the execution errors.  He calls stuff that, if executed, would work, but often isn't executed.  He must get these guys doing this stuff pretty routinely in practice only to have it blow up in his face come game time.

And it may explain why he a) thinks this will work in game time and b) thinks it's important to attempt and execute, during game time, as opposed to practice.

It was worse when the talent was less than it is now, but it still seems like a thing.

The simple way to say it is we don't have Alabama talent yet, or early 2000s USC.  I think Sark intellectually understands that, but cannot believe the way these guys fuck up his playcalling from time to time.

Is that you, Steve?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Keef said:

Should Sark hire someone to call plays and still consult a bunch with the offense and maybe coach QBs?

The funny part of people suggesting this is he would still be in charge of decisions like when to go for it on 4th down and what plays to run down there. So if you think hiring a playcaller takes away those powers from him then you are probably mistaken.

He is far from a perfect playcaller, but he is the best we've had in a long time and the odds of us somehow upgrading by asking him to take a step feel feel very slim. From what I understand, he leans pretty heavily on the offensive staff during the week to put together the gameplan so he can do head coach stuff and make sure things are buttoned up on both sides of the ball. In terms of in-game stuff, he has 3 former head coaches on his staff so he doesn't have a shortage of guys around him who have been there before.

Again, he's not perfect. No coach is. He is going to mess up again. But the good has outweighed the bad for a while now.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

You talk far too much about it. Seriously, shut the fuck up. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

First time in program history we have scored 30+ points in 8 games straight, we are 7-1 with two of the highest rated QB’s ever on our roster, all American OL at multiple spots and we just won 35-6 with our backup QB. You want to fire him lulz. This weekend has been the hall of fame of stupid fucking posts. I just read that worthy should benched for not catching passes…now that Malik is in… but it apparently was all Quinn’s fault before lulz. Keep ‘em coming 

VY calls bullshit!

11 straight and

12 of 13 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Texas_Longhorns_football_team

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

As a stupid post writer myself, I agree. The mental retardation occurring is wild. 

7 hours ago, Js1 said:

As we have done in 2 other games. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, blutow said:

I don't think it's scrimmage mentality, I think it's simply Sark being stubborn and doubling down on his beliefs and trying to establish program identity.  He wants Texas to be a program that exerts their will on opponents, smash them in the mouth and win the day (and all that crap that sounds cheesy, but is actually pretty important).  That high level agenda is really important, but that's a long game strategy (years sometimes) and you still have to play smart situational football in the moment.  I thought it was bat shit crazy not kicking those field goals to make it a 3 possession game, but I'm not the one who is going to get fired if Sark doesn't make Texas a consistent national contender within the next few years.  He seems to have a vision of what he wants Texas football to be and he's stubbornly sticking to it.  I'm not sure if that vision is right or wrong or if he's the guy to make it happen, but I like the commitment and consistency.  We've been wandering in the desert without a real identity for too long.  As much as some of the calls drive me crazy, Texas is playing a really solid and sustainable style of football in my opinion.    

Were technically a national championship contender if we win out. 

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Sure thing, that can be done. Tom Herman was 14-4 and 9-3 in conference, including a CCG appearance and NY6 win, from week 2 of 2018 until the OU game in 2019. Mack was 12-5 from the last aggy game through game 1 in 2013. See what arbitrary cutoffs can do?

You’re talking like I or anyone else is unhappy with the result date this year. Feel free to point out where that’s been said. What being 7-1 doesn’t change is being able to see issues on display. You choosing to be willfully ignorant doesn’t make someone who isn’t overly negative.

So bring Herman back? Bring Mack back?

Edited by BurntOrange&White

5 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Buncha fucking Derkas on this thread.  You motherfuckers have all been proven wrong, yet, you insist again and again that you're right and Sark is wrong.  He pocketed a win, and you're still shaking your collective fists at the moon.   Keep on keeping on, you Derkas.  Shine on you crazy diamonds. 

Why are we so terrible scoring TDs in the Red Zone and blocking in short yardage situations?

giphy.gif

Still too many inconsistent negative offensive plays.  Was hoping our offensive line would be really dominant, but it just hasn't been happening so far this season.

I'm thrilled we are 7-1, but disappointed we're not seeing enough incremental improvements game to game.

Put 4 good quarters together this Saturday and kick kstate's ass!!! 🤘

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Ok, well played. Now add the proper context to all 3 cherry picked moments in time. Mack was done, he had let the program fall into disarray. Herman had already started to have foundation cracks and was making his own seat hot. Sark is 7-1 at the tail end of that 13-4 “arbitrary cutoff” with recruiting on the rise, a great staff, and a season defining win in Tuscaloosa. I’m content with who Steve Sarkisian is, warts and all lol. 

6 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

You talk far too much about it. Seriously, shut the fuck up. 

You are like the evil brother of billy loochi. He sunshine pumps, hates the longhorns, talks shit to people and is a big bad ass. You are negative as fuck, you hate the aggies, constantly talking shit, and when people don’t listen to your stupid shit you turn into a cocksucker. Put me on ignore fuck head. 

• Fuck You 1

46 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

You are like the evil brother of billy loochi. He sunshine pumps, hates the longhorns, talks shit to people and is a big bad ass. You are negative as fuck, you hate the aggies, constantly talking shit, and when people don’t listen to your stupid shit you turn into a cocksucker. Put me on ignore fuck head. 

And you’re a simpleton. Shhhhhhh.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, WinningIsHard said:

Ok, well played. Now add the proper context to all 3 cherry picked moments in time. Mack was done, he had let the program fall into disarray. Herman had already started to have foundation cracks and was making his own seat hot. Sark is 7-1 at the tail end of that 13-4 “arbitrary cutoff” with recruiting on the rise, a great staff, and a season defining win in Tuscaloosa. I’m content with who Steve Sarkisian is, warts and all lol. 

I’m pretty much here. He needs to take the points and let winning and making smart decisions in the 4th quarter be his program identity. I think that’s my only true complaint. He’s don’t a heck of a job.* 

*he has a bonehead loss that he’s supposed to win and it’ll get a bit rough, but still 7-5/8-4/????. Nice trajectory. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Were technically a national championship contender if we win out. 

Absolutely, but that's why I said he needs to make us a consistent contender (and there is still a long way to go this year).  Even TCU can stumble into a great season when the stars align, we need a sustainable program that wins 10+ every year.  If Sark can get us to that point, we're in the playoffs most years and you get your shots at championships.  While I'm not yet convinced Sark is the guy, I like that he seems very focused on long term foundational stuff and I think he's pushing a style of football that lends itself to consistent long term success.  This isn't Herman using a QB as a battering ram to win games.  While I don't agree with some of the in game decisions, those are mainly noise in the big picture.  I'm trying to judge the guy at the game or even season level, which is ultimately what I care about.  And I personally think they are playing a style of football that's really entertaining to watch.  For all the folks saying that we're winning ugly, I really wonder if they watch college football.      

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

I’m not the biggest Sark guy, as he seems make  play calling more difficult than is necessary. With that said, beating K-State this week would be an incredible coaching job and frankly would make me view him in a different light. 

Beating Bama on the road = meh i need to see more

Beating a team hes never lost to at home = i now believe!

Make it make sense

• Haha 8

27 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Beating Bama on the road = meh i need to see more

Beating a team hes never lost to at home = i now believe!

Make it make sense

He’s never won 10 games in a season before, so I’m from Missouri until I actually see it. As great as the Bama win was, it’s not the only data point. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 7