Wulaw Horn

Matt's is awesome. Fuck the haters. The grilled fish tacos are the best I've ever had. And the cilantro vinaigrette sauce is fucking crack level addicting. 

Salt lick is good but just be prepared to waste at least half a day (both in the drive and even moreso waiting to eat.) I highly recommend you get their sampler plate just to try a little of everything. But most importantly, BRING A BUNCH OF CASH!!! They don't accept cards and direct you to their atm that has a predatory type level of fee to withdraw cash. 

I didn't see it mentioned and I'm sure the haters will hate but Kerbey Lane (breakfast spot but serves everything) is usually a go to for me. Food is good, cheap, and there's one next to campus so you'll get a taste of student life/culture. 

And yes, I'm fat so I know what's good. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2

The issue isn't if Salt Lick is tolerable, or if it's better than out-of-state bbq. It definitely is. The issue is that there are many other options for better bbq. You don't have to stand in line for Franklin's, but you don't have to settle for shitty Salt Lick either. The first few replies to the question gave a great list of options. 

Matt's, on the other hand, is a fucking treasure and shouldn't be missed. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Matt's is awesome. Fuck the haters. The grilled fish tacos are the best I've ever had. And the cilantro vinaigrette sauce is fucking crack level addicting. 

Salt lick is good but just be prepared to waste at least half a day (both in the drive and even moreso waiting to eat.) I highly recommend you get their sampler plate just to try a little of everything. But most importantly, BRING A BUNCH OF CASH!!! They don't accept cards and direct you to their atm that has a predatory type level of fee to withdraw cash. 

I didn't see it mentioned and I'm sure the haters will hate but Kerbey Lane (breakfast spot but serves everything) is usually a go to for me. Food is good, cheap, and there's one next to campus so you'll get a taste of student life/culture. 

LX1vjq.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, Coogs35 said:

On a seperate note, I fly in today and want some food recommendations. Ideally some good Mexican and good BBQ would be appreciated!

If people are willing to drive to Saltlick go to Valentina's instead. It's my favorite place in ATX area for BBQ. They have smaller lines than most places and they specialize in tex-mex/bbq fusion so you can get brisket enchiladas or tacos too. They even hand-make their tortillas to serve in place of wonder bread. Unfprtunately, they keep moving further out of town - not sure where they are located now.

Tou didnt ask about burgers, but right after the game, you gotta get a burger at the Crown and Anchor.

• Hook 'Em 2

You just lost all credibility when you mentioned Kerby lane, which has been producing crap for several years now. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Speaking of BBQ, I’m in Marfa playing in a baseball tournament this weekend and hit Convenience West this afternoon. Pretty good shit. Texas wins big. 
Every region has their own twist, but west Texas mesquite smoked BBQ is one of the best. I've been in the city too long this year, I'm ready for desolation and awesome sunsets!
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I go to Austin, we go to Matt's El Rancho. Everybody loves it. Then, I come to the food and travel board on Surly and I'm told repeatedly that Matt's is the shittiest texmex in Austin and if you eat there, you're probably a carpetbagging know-nothing. Hopefully none of those experts see what you and I have written.

The best thing on Matt’s menu is nostalgia. The food is slightly better than mediocre, but people have fond memories. Matt Jr’s (R.I.P.) place in Dallas, Matt’s Rancho Martinez, was better. Fight me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

The best thing on Matt’s menu is nostalgia. The food is slightly better than mediocre, but people have fond memories. Matt Jr’s (R.I.P.) place in Dallas, Matt’s Rancho Martinez, was better. Fight me. 

Yeah it's a good place for good times. 

We went after a wedding and there was a dope mariachi band it's definitely always a good time

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

You just lost all credibility when you mentioned Kerby lane, which has been producing crap for several years now. 

As a student, I could go and get an order of French toast, bacon and hash browns with a cup of coffee and pay only $15 (which included a 20%+ tip) before finals. Their queso is notorious, as well as their sandwiches for the late night drunk meal. All at more than reasonable prices.

Are you a commi? Why do you hate Texas? Come at me, bro...

• Like 1

As a student, I could go and get an order of French toast, bacon and hash browns with a cup of coffee and pay only $15 (which included a 20%+ tip) before finals. Their queso is notorious, as well as their sandwiches for the late night drunk meal. All at more than reasonable prices.

Are you a commi? Why do you hate Texas? Come at me, bro...

You haven't lived until you've strolled into Kerbey at 6:30am on mushrooms and demolished two omelettes with home fries, two beers, and two coffees.  Then gone to 7/11 across the way and gotten another 12 pack to keep the party going.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Pancho said:

How did this get to Texas -20?

Confused Katt Williams GIF

A mix of Austin's most well known/hated Tex-Mex and BBQ, bruh. Keep up. 

22 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

You haven't lived until you've strolled into Kerbey at 6:30am on mushrooms and demolished two omelettes with home fries, two beers, and two coffees.  Then gone to 7/11 across the way and gotten another 12 pack to keep the party going.

With the amount of drugs I've done in my short life time, this, sadly, will not be one of those excursions. 

But this guy gets it. 

9 hours ago, Vertigo said:

You have to keep in perspective of where people are coming from. I have been to Utah and seen what they call Mexican food. It is low end, but it is an austin original and nostalgic. If it were so terrible you wouldn't have to line up at 4:30 PM for a table. 

Red Iguana (both locations) in downtown GSLC are both excellent.   Shrimp balls from the Hong Kong Tea House are the best bargain in chinese food in the werld.   Meatball sandwich at Moochie's is also a must.

• Hook 'Em 2

20231027_233552.thumb.jpg.ef7b1187a2911b6964015ca65411aa29.jpgI hate byu more than any fucker in here. And it isn't close. I dont want a win. I want shit pushed in so hard that they choke on it and question their own existence. I want sitake to quit after the game because he realized he can't compete. 

Fuck byu with a 24" rusty dildo that has traces of aids and haunta virus sprinkled with a touch of chlamydia. 

Edited by pops
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Red Iguana (both locations) in downtown GSLC are both excellent.   Shrimp balls from the Hong Kong Tea House are the best bargain in chinese food in the werld.   Meatball sandwich at Moochie's is also a must.

The iguana makes a mean molé

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Does Kerbey Lane still have California Enchiladas? THose were Lick your plate off delicious. Would eat there once a week back in the day.

Both Salt Lick locations take credit card now, and have for over a year.

And speaking for the poors, you really can't go wrong finding decent BBQ or Tex-Mex in most any place. Sure, some of the big fancy places might have better, but the little places are still good.

I have a Donns BBQ close to my house and their moist brisket sandwiches are awesome. So are the brisket tacos. I don't need to go spend an extra $50 for atmosphere or a 10-15% increase in "better" BBQ.

Don Darios down on Slaughter has decent Tex-Mex and great nachos compuestes. Sometimes we go for just decent Tex-Mex but good margaritas and will hit Casa Garcia's in Manor.

But I realize anyone who can afford a plane ticket just to watch a football game isn't going to the hole-in-the-wall local places. So go have some crappy Chuy's or whatever and enjoy the atmosphere if not the food.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Modessit said:

But I realize anyone who can afford a plane ticket just to watch a football game isn't going to the hole-in-the-wall local places. So go have some crappy Chuy's or whatever and enjoy the atmosphere if not the food.

At Chuy's, crappy food isn't a bug, it's the KEY feature.

Chuy's will always be a special place for me bc I've probably spent $1M on $1 'ritas and free queso bar after discgolf at the park.