THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]

texifornia

1 hour ago, heso said:

Whichever team made it out of those 3 would have the best win and the best loss in the country. They aren’t getting left out. 

We'll have to agree to disagree on this. I don't see the CFPC letting UM or PSU in having only played 2 good opponents all year & losing one of them & I think OSU would be on thin ice & it may be a beauty contest between 1 loss OSU/UT &/or UO or UW. I hope it happens so we'll see.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

I’m confused on why it’s assumed we jump a 1 loss Oregon. The committee for whatever reason have them above us now. Adding a win over Oregon St and Washington is better than B12 championship game. 

How could they justify us jumping them at any point the rest of the way if they haven’t already? 

I would not say that it is assumed, but they could justify it the same way they can justify putting Oregon in front of us now.  Clearly there is wiggle room for how a team is currently performing. 

At this point, all Texas can control is staying at one loss, and winning a little more convincingly.  If those happen and we miss out on the CFP, at least we have improved enough to be in the discussion, which is more than a lot of Texas fans think is possible with Sark.  

40 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

So who am I hoping lose this weekend? 

Ole Miss over UGA ?

Penn St over Mich ? 

Miami over FSU

MSU over OSU 

USC over Oregon

Utah over Washington

Kentucky over Bama

any of these things along with Texas continuing to win increases our odds of going to the playoff

all of them happening probably skyrockets us to #1 

Edited by BigHornedLurker

I think Cristobal and Miami need this. I think FSU goes down. Gut feeling. Well unless there are 10 seconds left and all Miami has to do is kneel. It would be a signature win for the program and FSU hasn’t been truly challenged imo. I’ll hold my nose and root for this. Then the path should be less cluttered to get to CFP if we take care of our own business. 

23 minutes ago, BigHornedLurker said:

Miami over FSU

MSU over OSU 

USC over Oregon

Utah over Washington

Kentucky over Bama

any of these things along with Texas continuing to win increases our odds of going to the playoff

all of them happening probably skyrockets us to #1 

I think Bama winning out is the best thing for UT. 

I have a feeling Noles lose @ Fla to end year 

Oregon State has the opportunity to do something funny and take a ginormous shit on the Pac 12 in their last year.

They get Washington at home this week then travel to Oregon next week. 

They are fully capable of winning both of those games and knocking the Pac 12 out of the playoffs.

(I don't think they beat Oregon fwiw)

On 11/9/2023 at 12:26 PM, nbmishoid said:

A mountain of blessings are required.    Get ready for Penn St or Old Miss in some bowl.

I dont think the situation is that dire. But of course it is going to require someone higher ranked to slip up. I can think of a variety of highly plausible scenarios in which Texas gets in guaranteed:

1) Florida State loses to either Florida/ACC finalist (ACC misses playoff)

2) Oregon beats Washington but Oregon drops a game to OSU before they beat Washington (PAC misses playoff)

Less likely but very plausible scenarios:

3) Bama beats Georgia, Texas gets the nod over a 1 loss Pac 12 Champ Oregon by virtue of a H2H road win against the SEC champ (PAC misses playoff)

4) Bama beats Georgia, Texas gets the nod over Bama by virtue of a H2H road win (assuming Washington wins out, SEC misses the playoff)

More unlikely:

5) Georgia loses to Bama and Bama loses to Auburn prior to that result (SEC misses playoff)

Very unlikely scenario:

6) Ohio St/Mich winner loses the Big 10 champ game to Iowa (lol) (Big 10 misses playoff)

Plenty of ways to still make it into the dance. Which is why ESPN still has us at an 87% chance if we win out. I personally think we will make it if we win out, but that is a big if. The pressure is mounting for everyone, and usually the end of the season is chaotic. Buckle up. 

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I dont think the situation is that dire. But of course it is going to require someone higher ranked to slip up. I can think of a variety of highly plausible scenarios in which Texas gets in guaranteed:

1) Florida State loses to either Florida/ACC finalist (ACC misses playoff)

2) Oregon beats Washington but Oregon drops a game to OSU before they beat Washington (PAC misses playoff)

Less likely but very plausible scenarios:

3) Bama beats Georgia, Texas gets the nod over a 1 loss Pac 12 Champ Oregon by virtue of a H2H road win against the SEC champ (PAC misses playoff)

4) Bama beats Georgia, Texas gets the nod over Bama by virtue of a H2H road win (assuming Washington wins out, SEC misses the playoff)

More unlikely:

5) Georgia loses to Bama and Bama loses to Auburn prior to that result (SEC misses playoff)

Very unlikely scenario:

6) Ohio St/Mich winner loses the Big 10 champ game to Iowa (lol) (Big 10 misses playoff)

Plenty of ways to still make it into the dance. Which is why ESPN still has us at an 87% chance if we win out. I personally think we will make it if we win out, but that is a big if. The pressure is mounting for everyone, and usually the end of the season is chaotic. Buckle up. 

None of those things seem likely, from 1 to 6, IMO.

As an aside, I think Georgia rolls Bama by 3 scores.

29 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

None of those things seem likely, from 1 to 6, IMO.

As an aside, I think Georgia rolls Bama by 3 scores.

And that may be so. But every year, teams lose at the end of the season. Like clockwork. Let's see how it all plays out. 

And if Georgia beats Bama by 3 scores. Just hand them the trophy lol. 

15 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

And that may be so. But every year, teams lose at the end of the season. Like clockwork. Let's see how it all plays out. 

And if Georgia beats Bama by 3 scores. Just hand them the trophy lol. 

Well yeah.  If Georgia beats Bama by 1 point, then they do get handed the SEC championship trophy.

As it stands, we are on the outside looking in. 

Our recent form + losing Brooks are enough for the committee to pass on us. 

In our favor, is that we are a national brand that tends to push people to watch us win/lose. 

We are not currently a Top 4 team and our DBs & healthy RBs are the reason why.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ATXbronco said:

We were the top "ranked" 1-loss team until Ewers got injured.
Oregon overtook us the day after that happened.

But Oregon has also looked pretty good and probably deserved to leapfrog us regardless of Ewers injury.

Disagree. They have barely played anyone with a pulse and we have a much higher SOS than them. Their "ranking" is based purely on eye test and style points. Texas has been winning despite injuries and playing with a backup QB. I would be surprised if Oregon would beat K state. 

Edited by The_Great_Hornsby

9 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Disagree. They have barely played anyone with a pulse and we have a much higher SOS than them. Their "ranking" is based purely on eye test and style points. Texas has been winning despite injuries and playing with a backup QB. I would be surprised if Oregon would beat K state. 

Seriously?

I'd be surprised if UT could beat an unranked USC.

3 hours ago, BeardIP said:

Seriously?

I'd be surprised if UT could beat an unranked USC.

lmao have you even watched one of their games? It might be the worst secondary I have ever seen. It was so bad, they fired their DC midway through the season. Quinn would easily throw 6 TDs and our D line would destroy them. 

27 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Kirk with the “head to head isn’t the only metric” when talking about Texas and Alabama and if we both win out…

New Girl Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Weirdly, he was hinting the same thing with the first CFP rankings, but last week I’m sure he said on the show something to the effect of, “there’s no way” Bama would go over Texas.

1 Georgia

2/3 Ohio St / Mich

If Ohio St wins this matchup, I think they jump back to 1. I think Michigan would drop all the way below Bama (until Bama loses to Georgia).

4 Florida St

5/6 Wash / Oreg

I think this is the committee 's way of saying that the winner of the rematch is in the playoffs (replacing Michigan if they lose. If they beat Ohio St and Oregon beats Washington so that they all end up with 1-loss, then this becomes a tricky discussion)

7 Texas

We're in a tough spot. If Washington wins a rematch, they move up into top 4 ahead of Ohio St/Mich loser, we jump Oregon into 6 (maybe into 5 depending on the drop of Ohio St/ Mich loser). If Oregon wins, then our resumes are pretty close (they'd have ranked wins over Washington, Utah, Oregon St). Their Washington win will be seen to be as good as our Bama win. KU, KSt, and Ok St are all still ranked in the back end of the 25, but KU/Ok St losses really hurt our resume, especially if they drop any further.

8 Bama

I don't think the committee will jump Bama over us unless we drop a second game.

Based on remaining schedules, I think the CFP rankings will end up

1) Georgia

2) Ohio St

3) Washington

4) Florida St

5) Texas

6) Mich

😎 7)Bama

8 ) Oregon 

I think what we need is Oregon to drop a second game, still qualify for the CCG, then beat Washington in the CCG. They won't put a 2 loss conference champion in the playoff over Texas. And they won't put 1-loss non champion Washington over 1-loss champion Texas

Edited by TheBryMan81

Doesn’t matter if we’re wrong this week…matters at the end. 
Texas better win a couple of games going away, not holding on for dear life, if they want to win a final argument of 1 loss sec champ vs 1 loss big 12 champ. 
they have to eliminate the eye test bullshit or that will be the excuse, head to head be damned. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Being #5 might be psychologically better than being #4 and being boatraced a la TCU.

We get the plausible deniability that would have hung with anyone in CFP and the grudge and chip on our shoulder for next year, to motivate and keep urgency high and continue growth. Maybe Ewers come back to finish the job (CFP, as well as help his stock). Lastly, finishing the regular in the top 5 should beat anyone’s expectations pre-season (and even as recently as a few weeks ago), and after bowl season should we handle our business in an NY6 bowl, we could be a top 3 team after it’s all said and done, to build off of for recruiting, true hype for 2024, preseason ranking, etc.

• Fuck You 1

8 hours ago, George said:

Doesn’t matter if we’re wrong this week…matters at the end. 
Texas better win a couple of games going away, not holding on for dear life, if they want to win a final argument of 1 loss sec champ vs 1 loss big 12 champ. 
they have to eliminate the eye test bullshit or that will be the excuse, head to head be damned. 

I get the feeling that Texas and Bama both get in if Oregon upsets Washington. They will say "yada yada yada, Texas has a win over a playoff team and has the best win in the country against the SEC champ on the road and that elevates them both to #3/4 and so sorry Oregon and the PAC but youre out." 

17 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

Being #5 might be psychologically better than being #4 and being boatraced a la TCU.

We get the plausible deniability that would have hung with anyone in CFP and the grudge and chip on our shoulder for next year, to motivate and keep urgency high and continue growth. Maybe Ewers come back to finish the job (CFP, as well as help his stock). Lastly, finishing the regular in the top 5 should beat anyone’s expectations pre-season (and even as recently as a few weeks ago), and after bowl season should we handle our business in an NY6 bowl, we could be a top 3 team after it’s all said and done, to build off of for recruiting, true hype for 2024, preseason ranking, etc.

Id rather be in the playoff than not. Boatracing notwithstanding. Wtf

• Hook 'Em 4

58 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I get the feeling that Texas and Bama both get in if Oregon upsets Washington. They will say "yada yada yada, Texas has a win over a playoff team and has the best win in the country against the SEC champ on the road and that elevates them both to #3/4 and so sorry Oregon and the PAC but youre out." 

To pick nits, if we go by the current AP poll, Washington has the best win in the country, followed by OU then Texas.

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

To pick nits, if we go by the current AP poll, Washington has the best win in the country, followed by OU then Texas.

Correct. But I am talking if Bama upsets Georgia. Then we would own a win over Bama who at that time would be #3/4 in the eyes of the committee. And Oregon's win would end up being over the new #7/8 team (Washington). And Georgia would probably be #6 at that point (with Oregon stuck at #5 and Texas at 3/4). 

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

What happened to your balls?

We're talented, we'd get a month to heal up and gameplan, and fuck it you don't get that many chances to win the damn thing in life. This is an unbelievably sad post.

Hey man, just trying to find the silver lining on the most probabilistic outcome, which is UT being juuuuuuuuust a bit outside of that top 4.

1 hour ago, BeardIP said:

No, aggy

20 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Correct. But I am talking if Bama upsets Georgia. Then we would own a win over Bama who at that time would be #3/4 in the eyes of the committee. And Oregon's win would end up being over the new #7/8 team (Washington). And Georgia would probably be #6 at that point (with Oregon stuck at #5 and Texas at 3/4). 

Maybe.  Georgia might not drop below 'bama.  I mean, TCU lost the Big XII title game and got into the playoffs.  The committee does weird things.  (If I recall correctly, USC's loss in the Pac 12 title game made it possible for TCU to get in.)

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Maybe.  Georgia might not drop below 'bama.  I mean, TCU lost the Big XII title game and got into the playoffs.  The committee does weird things.  (If I recall correctly, USC's loss in the Pac 12 title game made it possible for TCU to get in.)

You think that a 1 loss Georgia, who's only loss would be to Alabama in the SEC championship game, would stay in front of the team that they just lost to? Pass the weed, you must have the good shit

1 minute ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

You think that a 1 loss Georgia, who's only loss would be to Alabama in the SEC championship game, would stay in front of the team that they just lost to? Pass the weed, you must have the good shit

I wish.  

Look at the CFP rankings last year:  #3 TCU lost to #10 KSU, yet TCU didn't drop and KSU only moved up to #9.  A close game between #1 UGA and say #6 Bama might turn out similarly.  Probably not, but I know enough to be skeptical of the committee's "logic".

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I wish.  

Look at the CFP rankings last year:  #3 TCU lost to #10 KSU, yet TCU didn't drop and KSU only moved up to #9.  A close game between #1 UGA and say #6 Bama might turn out similarly.  Probably not, but I know enough to be skeptical of the committee's "logic".

I will bet you any amount of money that a SEC champ Bama with 1 loss goes over a non-SEC champ Georgia with 1 loss. I mean honestly, their is zero argument for Georgia in that situation and to even entertain that hypothetical is so insane, it isnt worth discussing. 

Fact of the matter is for Georgia, if they dont win the SEC title game, they arent going to the Playoffs unless Texas and Florida State blow it down the stretch. 

• immamac changed the title to THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]