THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]

texifornia

10 minutes ago, immamac said:

It’s simple. If committee wants to send an OOC games matter message Texas and Alabama are in. If they want to send a schedule all the cupcakes message they will put in FSU and Texas (or bama).

FSU defeated LSU and Florida, it's not like they slummed it with their OOC scheduling.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought about it. If I was a fsu fan I wouldn’t care about getting in because I know they wouldn’t win it or even the first game.

If they make it, the team they play against is very lucky. Automatic W.

Washington scares me because of their passing game. Will watts be back by then? Derek is out for half the game because of the stupid targeting call. After watching the Oregon game Washington is also basically Texas. Letting Oregon score in 2 seconds lol reminds me of Texas and then with their close wins.

Bama doesn’t necessarily scare me but it’s really hard to beat a team twice.

Michigan sucks.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, TXs said:

I think FSU is the most deserving at no.4 but definitely not the best 4th. Their best win is LSU, who BAMA beat along with GA. 

FSU beat LSU more impressively than Bama did and the game even happened after Milroe's transmogrification

1 minute ago, Post Oak said:

I'm not going back to look, but I'd advise everyone who wasn't around in 2008 to remember....FCB.

Different situation. We were in a 3 way tie and had a circular argument of 1 loss teams that had all played each other. 

Edited by The_Great_Hornsby
  • Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, theBigHen said:

By this same logic then bama is turbo fucked cause they almost lost to USF and Auburn and Arkansas 

true.

IMO, Texas and Bama are the 2 best teams right now.  Bama because Milroe is much better than the first half of the season. 

Edited by Make em eat Taco Bell

3 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

I am actually hoping that we come in at 4 and FSU at 3. I like the Michigan matchup.

Same. Plus the committee/talking heads will get to hype the 2024 non-conf matchup after our semifinal matchup 

I'm not going back to look, but I'd advise everyone who wasn't around in 2008 to remember....FCB.

Irrelevant here. That process was math driven and included the coaches poll where there was outright fuckery to keep us out of the title game.

Not saying that the committee will absolutely be above fuckery, but this process should theoretically remove the type of bias that bit us in the ass back then.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

true.

IMO, Texas and Bama are the 2 best teams right now.  Bama because Milroe is much better than the first half of the season. 

He really isn't. He looks the exact same. And Bama's oline is still not very good, especially their center. They just haven't played another dline like ours. Bama panicked for no reason. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, RichUT said:

Irrelevant here. That process was math driven and included the coaches poll where there was outright fuckery to keep us out of the title game.

Not saying that the committee will absolutely be above fuckery, but this process should theoretically remove the type of bias that bit us in the ass back then.

We've been dealing with bias all season I don't know what you think it would be any different now. We have no one on the committee to speak on our behalf considering our own conference would love to see us left out.

2 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Why take a cupcake off the schedule?

I mean yeah that's funny but honestly they're a good team and since the committee doesn't care about good ooc matchups why put our players through a physical matchup going into SEC play? Injuries have been a problem as it is

Edited by FtheBig12

17 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

Does the committee go by best team right now? Texas & Bama are in the playoff. 

Does the committee go by on the field results? FSU is in for being undefeated and Texas is in for beating Bama.

Do I think the committee will apply one philosophy to let in Bama and another to let in FSU, thereby screwing Texas? Yes. Unfortunately, I think this is the most likely scenario.

If/when this happens, CDC needs to announce that the Michigan game next season is off. The CFP committee will have made it crystal clear that beating a top tier OOC team on their field by double digits is meaningless. 

Terrible take. Beta

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, BigHornedLurker said:

I think it will be some permutation of 

Washington , Michigan , Texas , FSU 

And the SEC meltdown will be one for the ages 

If that transpires, we'd be cock-slapping the entire SEC at  once before we ever lace them up for our first conference game. I like it. It sets the tone for our arrival nicely. Now get daddy a drink. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

I think that Louisville was so awful last night that it plausibly cost FSU a spot. In any event…..

If they do let FSU in it’ll have to be as a 4. Then they’ll have to decide who they grant the guaranteed win to, and that’ll be Michigan.

We’ll be playing Washington in the Sugar Bowl

The best argument I’ve seen against putting Bama in over FSU is that it’s based purely on the eye test. The same eye test that had Oregon favored over Washington Friday. 

The games have to matter, otherwise what are we even doing here? Who knows how far FSU’s defense can carry them. 

UM, UW, FSU, UT

• Hook 'Em 2

We've been dealing with bias all season I don't know what you think it would be any different now. We have no one on the committee to speak on our behalf considering our own conference would love to see us left out.

Jesus with all the fucking PTSD around here. We don’t need someone from the broke ass Big 12 advocating for us. Our play on the field is advocation enough.

Besides, we already won the league. The Big 12 wants us in because then they at least get a check on our way out the door. Plus they’d be able claim a college football title if we won the motherfucker.

In short, take off your fucking tin foil hat and embrace the fact that we’re getting in the motherfucker.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, MirrOlure said:

I think that Louisville was so awful last night that it plausibly cost FSU a spot. In any event.

If they do let FSU in it’ll have to be as a 4. Then they’ll have to decide who they grant the guaranteed win to, and that’ll be Michigan.

We’ll be playing Washington in the Sugar Bowl

Yeah. Look, you cant chalk that Louisville performance up to just FSU's defense. Their players were constantly self tackling with plenty of grass in front of them. They couldn't catch. They constantly ran out of bounds for no reason, even when they could have gotten a first down. And of course their QB was... uh ... special. That was just historically bad offensive football. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I’ll be honest, I was with @The_Great_Hornsby on this yesterday, 80/20 Texas over Alabama. Before that PTSD and called it 50/50 if Texas won convincingly. This morning the talking heads are near universal Texas is in. What I didn’t see was FSU out. I didn’t see it as even remotely possible and last night even started rooting for the Noles to keep Bama out.

here’s the honest part. I want no fucking part of a national title game or semis that’s a rematch between Bama and Texas. Fuck rematches as the winner before. Not afraid just think rematches introduce a lopsided motivation for the loser of the first game that pisses me off.

Go Noles. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, B00M said:

The best argument I’ve seen against putting Bama in over FSU is that it’s based purely on the eye test. The same eye test that had Oregon favored over Washington Friday. 

The games have to matter, otherwise what are we even doing here? Who knows how far FSU’s defense can carry them. 

UM, UW, FSU, UT

So you think FSU and Liberty should be 1 and 2 then

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Blotto said:

If that transpires, we'd be cock-slapping the entire SEC at  once before we ever lace them up for our first conference game. I like it. It sets the tone for our arrival nicely. Now get daddy a drink. 

Yeah fuck the SEC hard core 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

Does the committee go by best team right now? Texas & Bama are in the playoff. 

Does the committee go by on the field results? FSU is in for being undefeated and Texas is in for beating Bama.

Do I think the committee will apply one philosophy to let in Bama and another to let in FSU, thereby screwing Texas? Yes. Unfortunately, I think this is the most likely scenario.

If/when this happens, CDC needs to announce that the Michigan game next season is off. The CFP committee will have made it crystal clear that beating a top tier OOC team on their field by double digits is meaningless. 

So temper tantrum is the way to handle it?  Fuck that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I do think the second four are roughly equivalent to the first four.

Washington, Michigan, Texas, FSU

Alabama, Oregon, Georgia, tOSU.

Alabama and Georgia would beat Michigan and FSU. tOSU and Oregon would beat FSU. There just isn't a dominant team this year. The trend will probably continue as the portal diminishes depth and eliminates roster holes. This means that it becomes harder for elite teams to pick on weaker opposing players and any injury makes an elite team vulnerable.

Our propensity to schedule OOC games will indeed shake things up in their league. The ones that continue to schedule cupcakes in their 7th week will be ridiculed and punished. OOC games should matter to the health of college football overall. I don't think this is something that the committee will want to squelch with their decisions. FSU practiced it and it helps their case since their league is true dogshit this year. 
Alabama practiced it and even though they lost to us, they have a stout strength of season argument over FSU. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

they will look at the overall body of work. 

the UH and KSU close games will hurt us.

the OU loss will haunt us forever, and they will rub it in forever. 2023 was the best shot. 

and if Bama gets in over us, the "SEC SEC" chants when Yormark was speaking, will look sillyshitastic dumbfuckenstein. 

I wonder how many people there are who, like you, seem to not understand the meaning of the Yormark SEC chant was a polite way of saying "Fuck you Yormark" and not some kind of pointless SEC flex. Alabama, which also has close wins, is not jumping over us when we have h2h on them. They may and should jump over FSU.

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

Another way of looking at SOS. If it matters to the committee and head to head matters like they said, then it may be enough for Alabama to overtake FSU with their undefeated championship win. I have it like this. This way, OOC games will continue to be scheduled like Texas and Alabama or tOSU and Oklahoma, otherwise teams won't do that, especially when the playoff games expand. Going undefeated to earn your spot should very important but does it overcome the other two factors? Remember the TCU example when they gave them the nod for going undefeated in a weak ass Big 12 year. I'm sure the committee remembers.
1. Washington

2. Michigan

3. Texas

4. Alabama

The SEC plays 3 sisters of the poor schools. 

1 hour ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

they will look at the overall body of work. 

the UH and KSU close games will hurt us.

the OU loss will haunt us forever, and they will rub it in forever. 2023 was the best shot. 

and if Bama gets in over us, the "SEC SEC" chants when Yormark was speaking, will look sillyshitastic dumbfuckenstein. 

Who cares? Did losing to OU lose us the Big 12? No. Could it affect our chances at the playoff? Only in a year where we didn't schedule and win a game against sacred Alabama. If anything, the shitty Big 12 is what holds us back and we're trading that in, finally. Losing by 4 on a neutral site in the final minute to your rival who went on to win 10 games shouldn't "haunt" us. 

We can't control what people with bias do but we damn sure would make it hard for them to justify ignoring the #1 criteria for judging two teams with identical records...head to head. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, immamac said:

It’s simple. If committee wants to send an OOC games matter message Texas and Alabama are in. If they want to send a schedule all the cupcakes message they will put in FSU and Texas (or bama).

best 4 teams include Texas and Bama. 

This makes no sense. If the committee wants to send a message about OOC games then it's Texas and FSU. FSU won OOC games against both Florida and LSU. Texas won OOC game against Alabama. I am not sure if you are aware of this, but Alabama lost their big OOC game. You shouldn't get credit for a big OOC game if you lose at home by double digits.

I do obviously agree that Alabama is better than FSU w/o Travis but it's not because OOC games matter.

Edited by Serak The Preparer
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

Just now, Serak The Preparer said:

This makes no sense. If the committee wants to send a message about OOC games then it's Texas and Alabama. FSU won OOC games against both Florida and LSU. Texas won OOC game against Alabama. I am not sure if you are aware of this, but Alabama lost their big OOC game. You shouldn't get credit for a big OOC game if you lose at home by double digits.

I do obviously agree that Alabama is better than FSU w/o Travis but it's not because OOC games matter.

In most years, Bama isn't hurt by scheduling a tough OOC opponent and losing. Instead, it's the one thing keeping that most likely keeps them out. But next year this would not matter and they wouldn't be penalized. Keeping us out is more damaging to OOC scheduling and the networks know this. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, nycHorn said:

In years past, do they reveal the whole rankings at the beginning and then dig into each bowl matchup or do we have to wait until the end of the show to hear the playoff selections?

Playoff teams will be revealed at 1215 EST. Bowl slates will be shown towards the end of the show.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, B00M said:

I must’ve missed when Liberty beat LSU, Florida, Clemson, Miami, Louisville, Duke… this is similar to me asking when you stopped beating your wife. 

Liberty basically plays in an FCS conference. But they do deserve the autobid for the G5 NY6 bowl. The MWC and AAC can take a seat trying to argue Boise or SMU deserve it 

• immamac changed the title to THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]