Texas vs oSu - Big XII Championship - Pre-game Chatter

TrashMaster G

2 hours ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

I love that we did that. Stormtroopers should be worn at home all the time.

My understanding is that there was a rule made that required the home team to wear their dark jerseys.

Rule came about because schools in the South would have games with Northern schools, schedule the game for the heat of the day, and then choose their light uniforms. Then schools like Penn State and Notre Dame would show up to e.g. Tuscaloosa in September wearing super-dark jerseys in the sun and just burn right up.

That's why we wear orange at home.

5 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Wait. I thought (1) we were the home team and (2) NCAA rules require the home team to wear their dark colors.

How does the Big XII determine who is the home team for the conference championship game?  We have the better record, as we did in the 2005 and 2009 Big XII title games, and we wore all whites in those games.  I figured that's how the uniform choice was made, but I'm too lazy to research that issue.

Edited by South Austin

1 minute ago, Rimbo said:

My understanding is that there was a rule made that required the home team to wear their dark jerseys.

Rule came about because schools in the South would have games with Northern schools, schedule the game for the heat of the day, and then choose their light uniforms. Then schools like Penn State and Notre Dame would show up to e.g. Tuscaloosa in September wearing super-dark jerseys in the sun and just burn right up.

Pretty sure the home team has the choice.  I think LSU wears white at home sometimes.

• Hook 'Em 1

The rules say the visiting team wears white jerseys unless the teams agreed in writing before the season. I'm assuming there's an agreement that the home team can choose for the championship game.

Also, reading through the rules the silly Colorado L and D on their jerseys this year is actually against the rules. Should have been a 15 yard penalty at the start of each half. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

LSU always wears white at home except for special occasions (however they determine that)

I think the deal with LSU is that the SEC (or maybe it’s all SEC teams individually) has a standing agreement on them wearing white at home. For OOC they have to get agreement from each team almost all of which agree. Tulane historically has not agreed just to be douchey I presume.
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The rules say the visiting team wears white jerseys unless the teams agreed in writing before the season. I'm assuming there's an agreement that the home team can choose for the championship game.

Also, reading through the rules the silly Colorado L and D on their jerseys this year is actually against the rules. Should have been a 15 yard penalty at the start of each half. 

I did not know about the L and D patches before and wow is that stupid

11 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

I think the deal with LSU is that the SEC (or maybe it’s all SEC teams individually) has a standing agreement on them wearing white at home. For OOC they have to get agreement from each team almost all of which agree. Tulane historically has not agreed just to be douchey I presume.

That is gloriously petty, roll Wave

12 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Tulane historically has not agreed just to be douchey I presume.

Just now, texifornia said:

That is gloriously petty, roll Wave

Not unlike the NFL teams that will sometimes wear white at home only when playing Dallas, just to prevent the Cowboys from wearing their preferred white jerseys.  I'm a Cowboys fan and I still find that to be both petty and awesome.  

29 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I saw a thing about the "L"

Damn Colorado got their ass whooped so hard by the ducks they had to wear the L on the jersey 

31 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I think the thinking is: The white stormtrooper uniforms look tight.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Also also, corporate jersey manufacturer logos also appear to be against the rule in the rulebook. I say we fly a banner that the stupid swoosh on our uniforms is illegal. 

xl9YOGqEUuQS_gZNrHeUqzEZq_1440x960.jpg

Wait that's only 7 pieces of flair on your jersey Sam, you need at least 10. 

-Captain

-inspirational hashtag

-rig 12

-Longhorn logo

-TEXAS spelled out

-nike swoosh

-Alamo bowl patch

Vs. the "throwback"

Nike-University-of-Texas-Longhorns-Football-UT-Alternate-Throwback-Uniform-Jersey-1970-White-Burnt-Orange-15.jpg?resize=664%2C374&ssl=1

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

47 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Unless there’s an agreement in place between the teams

My understanding is how it is in all levels of football -- the Home team chooses what jerseys to wear, and unless there's something like a "usc-ucra" agreement to both wearing their Home/Color uniforms (like they've been doing recently), the Visitor team must wear the opposite-type jersey of whatever the Home team wears:

Home chooses White jerseys, Visitor must wear Color jerseys
    Home chooses Color jerseys, Visitor must wear White jerseys

It's always the Home team's choice of what to wear, and the Visitors have to live with that and wear the opposite type of jersey.

We old Dallas Cowboys fans have dealt with this for decades with the "cursed" blue jerseys that philly/ny/stl/washington in the old NFC East that they would make us wear as the visiting team in both regular-season and playoff games.  Sometimes opponents will still do it hoping that the Cowboys will have bad-luck wearing them and lose, but since Dallas has been choosing to randomly (and on Thanksgiving recently) wear blue jerseys at home and win in them, it doesn't happen as much anymore.

So if Texas chose White as the Home team, Silo-Tech must now wear some kind of Color jersey as the Visitor team.

I haven't seen a rulebook to know if there's actually an explicit "rule" that the Home team has the jersey choice, but this is how it's been done for decades regardless.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Not unlike the NFL teams that will sometimes wear white at home only when playing Dallas, just to prevent the Cowboys from wearing their preferred white jerseys.  I'm a Cowboys fan and I still find that to be both petty and awesome.  

Used to be just the nfc east teams that did that. But at some point, more and more of the league started doing it. 

schramm started having Dallas wear white at home so the visitor could wear colors and not just have blue v white every game. I think maybe when they were still in the cotton bowl?  But, Texas stadium did have a nice little sunbath for the visitor sidelines only. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Maybe you're thinking of Mack Brown's 2?  Texas has 3 total, the first one in 1996 under Mackovic.
It's still an embarrassingly small number, especially compared to our archrival, which is precisely why I want Texas to win this last one so badly.  After that the chips will fall where they may, but I desperately want to see Texas take this one last opportunity to win the B12 championship in football.

I was talking about during the same time frame.
  • Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Oh come on, now-- you're just angry your team doesn't get to wear its all-whites.

Honestly what I'm hoping for is we bust these out since y'all are wearing the whites.  This is our best uniform look by far.  We've come close to basically making this standard, but we just need to bust out the original OSU brand on the helmet.

corn.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Motherfucking uniform talk. Some of the most banal shit that can possibly be discussed in an Internet forum, and you dipshits gravitate towards it every time. 

Allen Jackson or uniform talk? Pick one, motherfucker 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

We old Dallas Cowboys fans have dealt with this for decades with the "cursed" blue jerseys that philly/ny/stl/washington in the old NFC East that they would make us wear as the visiting team in both regular-season and playoff games.  Sometimes opponents will still do it hoping that the Cowboys will have bad-luck wearing them and lose, but since Dallas has been choosing to randomly (and on Thanksgiving recently) wear blue jerseys at home and win in them, it doesn't happen as much anymore.

Washington was the same. They always wore their whites unless made to wear the burgundy jerseys...which was almost always just when they would go to Dallas. At least back in the 1970s and 1980s.

Of course later Jerry introduced the "special" blue jerseys for Thanksgiving and now Washington wears all sorts of weird shit like black jerseys, gold pants, white pants, black pants, and whatever. It is like Oregon.

Edited by Valmy77

1 minute ago, Burntcowboy said:

I just got tickets for the game!  I could really use some help on where to stay and how to get to the game. I have read multiple people talk about taking some sort of public transportation to the game because the traffic is so bad. 

It’s Jerry world

you can sleep in your stealth RV in the wal mart across the street and walk over

but seriously, it’s no big deal to get there and get to the game. I did it for Florida vs Michigan and don’t remember any of it so it must’ve not been that bad. We did lose to Michigan that day so drinks were drank. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

How does the Big XII determine who is the home team for the conference championship game?  We have the better record, as we did in the 2005 and 2009 Big XII title games, and we wore all whites in those games.  I figured that's how the uniform choice was made, but I'm too lazy to research that issue.

My memory is that back when the Big 12 had divisions, the home team alternated every year and it was (at least initially) opposite of where it was played. So if it was played up north, the south team was the home team. When it was played in Texas, the north team was the home team. We were the home team in 1996 against Nebraska, because the game was played in St. Louis. We were the away team in 99, 01, 05, and 09 because those games were in Texas.

Edited by ultimaton

35 minutes ago, Zeus said:

It’s Jerry world

you can sleep in your stealth RV in the wal mart across the street and walk over

but seriously, it’s no big deal to get there and get to the game. I did it for Florida vs Michigan and don’t remember any of it so it must’ve not been that bad. We did lose to Michigan that day so drinks were drank. 

I always hear people bitch about the surcharges that Uber/Lyft/etc. and taxis charge to drop you off at Jerryworld, so there's that, too.  

The shuttle service from J. Gilligan's grill ($12 per adult) looks like it's still a thing, I'd probably use that.

http://www.jgilligans.com/shuttle/index.html 

Edited by BachelorTrek
  • Hook 'Em 1

Would love to see us play with the same intensity on all three phases that we had against Tech. Quinn even struggled a bit and it was still a 50-pt win. Crazy how deep this team can be when everything clicks. Really excited about the freshmen contributing like they have. Bookend conference championships would be poetic. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Not sure about terrible but they definitely aren’t 9-3 good. This is a 7-5 caliber team that found a way to squeak out a couple wins they shouldn’t have won. 

The line is -15 for a reason. 

This has been, without question, the weirdest season in Gundy’s tenure, even if you throw out the non-conference games, which Gundy inexplicably decided to treat like NFL pre-season games, the variability in performance has been all over the place from week-to-week or even within the same games.

The team’s only real sustained run of mostly excellent play was the stretch of the K-State game through Bedlam. Then there was the absolute no-show at UCF followed by the bizarre Jekyll and Hyde performances in the Houston and BYU games.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all of we get blown out on Saturday, but the only thing I’ll say is this the kind of spots that Gundy typically excels in. 

We’ll see.

2 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

This has been, without question, the weirdest season in Gundy’s tenure, even if you throw out the non-conference games, which Gundy inexplicably decided to treat like NFL pre-season games, the variability in performance has been all over the place from week-to-week or even within the same games.

The team’s only real sustained run of mostly excellent play was the stretch of the K-State game through Bedlam. Then there was the absolute no-show at UCF followed by the bizarre Jekyll and Hyde performances in the Houston and BYU games.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all of we get blown out on Saturday, but the only thing I’ll say is this the kind of spots that Gundy typically excels in. 

We’ll see.

I’m not sure how good Kansas State is after this last weekend. 4 loss team that lost to our 2nd string QB and avoided OU.

I’m starting to think K-State was just mediocre as hell. The only bizarre result was OU compared to the rest of the season. Not sure that was even bizarre since it’s a rivalry game. Weird shit happens. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I’m not sure how good Kansas State is after this last weekend. 4 loss team that lost to our 2nd string QB and avoided OU.

I’m starting to think K-State was just mediocre as hell. The only bizarre result was OU compared to the rest of the season. Not sure that was even bizarre since it’s a rivalry game. Weird shit happens. 

They had nothing to play for and it showed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

They had nothing to play for and it showed. 

Maybe but what was their best win this year? Against Kansas with a 3rd string walk-on QB? 

Had Bean played that game Kansas State would have been 7-5. They had a ton of lucky breaks this year. Kansas 3rd string QB, Texas 2nd string QB, no OU, etc. 

K-State seems about as mediocre as they come when you start looking at the full body of work. 

Thankfully Mar would have to squat to bump into Sark and there’s no chance of that happening. 
There would be a TKO on the field if any of the Rig 12 zebras do that to Sark. I'm just happy that moment with Charlie was caught by TV cameras so we don't look like a bunch of whiny conspiracy theorists.
  • Hook 'Em 1