Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

10 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I mean he has to contribute something at some point doesn’t he? They’ve been building this story for 6-7 seasons. Surely it goes somewhere.

Aryas ninja assassin story certainly did.

his whole reason for being is the NK.  he's the flip side of the coin.  for thousands of year his story has been tied to the NK's story.  and on the battle for everything, the culmination of events dating back to the very first episode, his only contribution was to warg into some ravens and take a tour of the north.  his redemption affirmation to theon was great but that was it.  

that's some shitty ass writing.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, DanRydell said:

Even accepting the Night King as so simple-minded leaves plenty of completely unexplained questions.

Why did the NK have such an interest in gory, large-scale art installations? Something that was seemingly so significant that it was featured three different times, including in the series premiere and the season premiere and yet was apparently ultimately meaningless?

The NK is a magical undead zombie Terminator.  Apparently he's into creating crop circles with the dismembered corpses of those he kills.  That's freaky enough without some deeper meaning behind it.

Why did the NK decide that NOW was the time to march south after waiting thousands of years?

Because otherwise it would be a pretty boring story?  We're seeing a slice of time in Westeros for this story, and it happens to be a pretty interesting time because of a confluence of events.

Accepting Bran’s explanation for why the NK wants to kill Bran, what’s the rush? If he is always able to find Bran, why not stand back and let his wights kill literally everybody else before tracking down Bran? He doesn’t even have his wights take out Theon first? Just because he wants to risk it all in order to flex on Theon?

Maybe his goal was to do something to/with Bran 1st?  Maybe he wants to suck out his brain, warg into Bran and access the Godswoods.net, or something else? Or maybe he's a egotistical shitface who gets off on killing cripples personally?  Up until that point he's survived dragon fire and a fall from 1000 ft in the air, so he's basically shown to be invincible - no reason to have the wights kill Theon when Theon is no more of a threat than a housefly.  Plus he gets to rub it in Bran's face.

The NK being immune to everything but dragon glass, having been created by dragon glass, makes some sense. But why can he also be killed by Valyrian steel? He’s immune to the fire of Valyrian dragons so it’s not simply some Valyrian magic shit.

The special power of Valyrian steel has never been fully explained, if it even could be by these characters.  It's special; and no one knows why.  Part of that is b/c it's rare and can't be forged anew.  Others have theorized that it's not the Valyrian steel aspect that killed the NK, it's something specific to the Cat's Paw dagger itself - that dagger is shown in a book that Sam reads in Oldtown about the White Walkers, so it may have some historical aspect.

4 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

his whole reason for being is the NK.  he's the flip side of the coin.  

That isn't accurate.  The 3-eyed raven is just the custodian of a special repository of human knowledge, with no particular connection to the NK other than the NK's preoccupation with destroying humanity.  The end of the NK simply removed the threat to Bran's safety that he posed, and Bran can now serve his actual purpose, which is pretty much unrelated to the NK. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

thought for sure we were going to see him get flamed up only to survive like dany in season 1.

maybe the NK was a Targ?

it dont make a shit now though.

2 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

The NK is a magical undead zombie Terminator.  Apparently he's into creating crop circles with the dismembered corpses of those he kills.  That's freaky enough without some deeper meaning behind it.

Because otherwise it would be a pretty boring story?  We're seeing a slice of time in Westeros for this story, and it happens to be a pretty interesting time because of a confluence of events.

Maybe his goal was to do something to/with Bran 1st?  Maybe he wants to suck out his brain, warg into Bran and access the Godswoods.net, or something else? Or maybe he's a egotistical shitface who gets off on killing cripples personally?  Up until that point he's survived dragon fire and a fall from 1000 ft in the air, so he's basically shown to be invincible - no reason to have the wights kill Theon when Theon is no more of a threat than a housefly.  Plus he gets to rub it in Bran's face.

The special power of Valyrian steel has never been fully explained, if it even could be by these characters.  It's special; and no one knows why.  Part of that is b/c it's rare and can't be forged anew.  Others have theorized that it's not the Valyrian steel aspect that killed the NK, it's something specific to the Cat's Paw dagger itself - that dagger is shown in a book that Sam reads in Oldtown about the White Walkers, so it may have some historical aspect.

i think one of the maesters said that dragon glass was used in the forging process of Valyerian Steel.. or sam read it in one of his books a few seasons ago.

Enjoyed the episode, but a few I think I liked more, although shorter sequences. Recall Jon Snows first battle with a WW and discovers his sword is awesome and the kids got turned by the NK and they ate the lady. Badass. 

Also the battle at the wall vs. the wildlings was pretty strong and well done.  This was pretty good for an epic zombie battle, if that’s your thing.  The dragon battling was a bit weak.

Love Arya and the kill stroke.  My beef is the intensity wasn’t there cause Bran was at stake at that moment. As others have said, he’s been pretty pointless except for Snows origin. He was even left out a whole season. 

The Dothraki charge could make sense in that it was kinda cool visually for the director, and how do you fit all the open plains horsemen behind Winterfell walls?  

id like episode six to end with Sansa submitting to Tyrion given he’s “the best of em all”

18 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

frankly, i wasn't thinking about Arya. i was thinking about how useless and pointless Bran was. and I wasnt that broken up by the prospect of the NK ending him.

I'm not sure you can call the NK's #1 objective at the Battle of Winterfell useless or pointless. The NK was there to kill Bran, plain and simple. And the only chance Jon/Dany had against the dead army was to kill the NK. Bran was the bait in the trap and they were able to catch the NK unaware (enough) for Arya to kill him.

Here are Bovada's seemingly arbitrary and updated odds re: who ends up on the iron throne.

A few thoughts:

How the hell are you gonna have Gendry with better odds than Tyrion? In fact, I think Tyrion is the best wager at this point. Jon Snow is obviously the front-runner. I guess that's why the Lord of Light brought him back - to reunify the 7 kingdoms and be the first king to rule justly in a long fucking time. It feels like Daeny's quest for the throne is self-serving and not at all altruistic, which makes me think she dies somehow. I don't see a path for Sansa or anyone else. I still can't figure out why Petyr Baelish is getting odds since he's dead. But I guess the line of thought is that anyone can seemingly come back from the dead on this show and that dude is a wart that just keeps popping up. Gilly would be hilarious.

ODDS TO BE RULING WESTEROS AT THE END OF GAME OF THRONES SEASON 8
Character Odds
Jon Snow +125
Bran Stark +450
Daenerys Targaryen +550
Sansa Stark +650
Gendry +750
Tyrion Lannister +850
Jon and Daenerys’ Child +1500
Arya Stark +1600
Petyr Baelish +2500
Samwell Tarly +2500
Cersei Lannister +2500
Jaime Lannister +5000
Varys +5000
Davos +7000
Bronn +10000
Euron Greyjoy +10000
Brienne of Tarth +10000
Jaqun H’ghar +10000
Daario Naharis +12500
The Hound +12500
Yara Greyjoy +15000
Tormund Giantsbane +15000
Gilly +100000
The Mountain +100000

Other moments that were done brilliantly:

- Jorah collapses from his wounds only after all the dead go down. He just wouldn't give up while Dany was still in jeopardy.  That character couldn't have gone out any other way.

- Sansa and Tyrion's emotional coming together moment in the crypt.  A nice culmination of those characters' path to that moment.

- Beric's reason for being brought back so many times, to ultimately save Arya and allow her to defeat the NK.  Decent payoff

Going to have to rewatch this tonight I think.

Edited by LonghornSean
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

That isn't accurate.  The 3-eyed raven is just the custodian of a special repository of human knowledge, with no particular connection to the NK other than the NK's preoccupation with destroying humanity.  The end of the NK simply removed the threat to Bran's safety that he posed, and Bran can now serve his actual purpose, which is pretty much unrelated to the NK. 

i don't totally agree.  3ER was holed up in the north protected from the NK by the very children who created the night king.  the nk has been trying to kill the the many iterations of the 3ER.  their stores are intertwined.

17 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

NK couldn't get around the wall until he got the dragon.

• Like 1

The scene where Sansa and Tyrion were in the crypt sitting behind the big stone monument with the dead running around killing people, Sansa pulls out the dragon glass dagger and her and Tryion are looking at each other in silence...I thought they were going off themselves.

Also, In regards to the significance of the NK killing Bran, I thought I read somewhere in this thread that if he killed Bran, it would send the world into eternal darkness. So the whole Night King vs the Lord of Light. But that was never brought up as far as I've seen or remember.

23 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

I didn't mind Arya's flying ninja attack except for not showing how she got there. 

She should have been naked.

23 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

Other moments that were done brilliantly:

- Jorah collapses from his wounds only after all the dead go down. He just wouldn't give up while Dany was still in jeopardy.  That character couldn't have gone out any other way.

- Sansa and Tyrion's emotional coming together moment in the crypt.  A nice culmination of those characters' path to that moment.

- Beric's reason for being brought back so many times, to ultimately save Arya and allow her to defeat the NK.  Decent payoff

Going to have to rewatch this tonight I think.

I thought the red witch's ending was done really well.  The doubt creeping in when she was trying to ignite the trench, her foreknowledge and manipulation to ensure things were in place to play out the way it did.  Her use of magic to keep herself young was not vanity, it was to allow her to play her part in the great war, and when her part was over, she relinquished it and died.  Arya got the big kill shot, but she would never had the opportunity if Melisandre had not been pulling strings not only in the last episode but all along the way.  She was somewhat akin to Littlefinger in that regard, though one who manipulated others and events for better ends.

Sadly, Melisandre's death ends any hope for Bran finding a soul mate in Westeros.

• Like 1

I enjoyed it very much. Love the role played by Lyanna Mormont.

I liked Melisandre's creative return...to see her doubt herself, once again, and then come through at the last moment..a victory before she fades away

Will agree, I had trouble with the darkness but it is night in an era of no electricity so...

I like Tyrion's long game to try and land Sansa's fine ass..

I know it seems like the battle was not strong enough, but we have not yet seen the toil it took on the soldiers/commoners. I am really struggling to understand how they will fight for the Iron Throne when EVERYBODY is gone (except main characters). I guess they will now convince others who did not battle with them against the night king and Theon's sister.

Edited by pacman

34 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

i don't totally agree.  3ER was holed up in the north protected from the NK by the very children who created the night king.  the nk has been trying to kill the the many iterations of the 3ER.  their stores are intertwined.

Their stories are intertwined, but not because the NK has any part of the 3ER's reason for being.  The NK has been a nuisance that the 3ER has had to deal with while serving its actual purpose.   Now that the nuisance is gone, the 3ER's reason for being hasn't changed.  Just the opposite - now the 3ER can fulfill that reason more easily. 

i know part of the allure of this show is "you never know who is gonna die and when, and nobody is safe!" but now that we're at the end, does anyone really care that much if a bunch of people do or don't die?

during the series, big-name deaths helped propel plot advancements and twists spun the viewer around to keep them guessing.  that's what made the stories/episodes so compelling and entertaining.  but now, it doesn't do much for me to see big tier 1 characters die, unless there's a really good reason to do so.  and "because that's how the books are/grrm wants it this way" is not a good reason.

it's a tv show, so i don't really care if arya or sansa or brienne or tyrion are alive the day after the events of the finale.  their future or the future of westeros means nothing to me.  if main character deaths help provide the best ending possible, then i'm down.  but i feel like a lot of people are setting themselves up for mass disappointment if a bunch of people somehow survive.

the hound is going to have it out with the mountain.  call it a wash.  cersei is the big bad remaining, so if someone kills her, it will likely be because of the sacrifice of 1-2 top-end characters.  i would say there's a chance cersei wins, but that would likely mean all/most of the other characters die, and i just don't see a realistic way for that to happen.  the only other way is if some of the good guys turn on each other, which after this battle, seems unlikely and silly.  

the producers/writers also know they have to give fan service to any major death, and i'd rather not spend half of the next 250 minutes watching that.

if you divide the remaining "big 15" or so characters into 3 tiers, my prediction is you'll get one tier 1 death, and 1-2 each of the other tiers max.  there will be got spinoffs, we already know that, and i'm sure they'll keep with the "unpredictability" but nobody wants to go into a new show thinking "well, we know errbody gonna die at the end".  there are plenty of ways to payoff character arcs.

Edited by henrygandorf
adjusted for total minutes remaining

If I’m Cersei, and I know that the winner at winterfell is going to get their shit together and come south for my crown and my head, i march my newly purchased army north and position them so that they can attack winterfell during the aftermath of the first battle when the victor will be weakest and in disarray. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Here are Bovada's seemingly arbitrary and updated odds re: who ends up on the iron throne.

A few thoughts:

How the hell are you gonna have Gendry with better odds than Tyrion? In fact, I think Tyrion is the best wager at this point. Jon Snow is obviously the front-runner. I guess that's why the Lord of Light brought him back - to reunify the 7 kingdoms and be the first king to rule justly in a long fucking time. It feels like Daeny's quest for the throne is self-serving and not at all altruistic, which makes me think she dies somehow. I don't see a path for Sansa or anyone else. I still can't figure out why Petyr Baelish is getting odds since he's dead. But I guess the line of thought is that anyone can seemingly come back from the dead on this show and that dude is a wart that just keeps popping up. Gilly would be hilarious.

ODDS TO BE RULING WESTEROS AT THE END OF GAME OF THRONES SEASON 8
Character Odds
Jon Snow +125
Bran Stark +450
Daenerys Targaryen +550
Sansa Stark +650
Gendry +750
Tyrion Lannister +850
Jon and Daenerys’ Child +1500
Arya Stark +1600
Petyr Baelish +2500
Samwell Tarly +2500
Cersei Lannister +2500
Jaime Lannister +5000
Varys +5000
Davos +7000
Bronn +10000
Euron Greyjoy +10000
Brienne of Tarth +10000
Jaqun H’ghar +10000
Daario Naharis +12500
The Hound +12500
Yara Greyjoy +15000
Tormund Giantsbane +15000
Gilly +100000
The Mountain +100000

I’ve been Team Gendry since season 3.  Back on the old board, I predicted Gendry and Arya would be the “winners.” Not sure if it will end up that way, but I think the argument for Gendry is this: he and Arya could unite the Seven Kingdoms.  

There will be a war with Cersei and her army.  It will be ugly and deadly.  She will lose.  They will need a new king to unite the torn apart kingdoms.  Gendry could be that person.  He is the son of former King Robert Baratheon so he has royal blood, for whatever that’s worth.  And based on the show, it seems like Robert Baratheon was well-loved by the people.  Definitely more popular than Joffrey and Cersei, so Gendry has that going for him.  Plus, he’s a boy from Flea Bottom.  That’s where he was raised.  The common folk will love him and support him.  And if he and Arya marry, then he will have the support from the north via the Stark lineage.  

And yes, I’m fully aware Gendry is a bastard and doesn’t have a rightful claim.  But as Disco Missile has already stated, claims don’t mean shit.  You need power and support from the people.  Those trump claims.  Of course, that seems to be Gendry’s greatest weakness now.  He doesn’t have the power that others have to forcefully claim the throne.  He’d need the backing of others and for some key people to die or refuse to fight for the throne (Dany, Jon, Jamie, Tyrion).  But the possibility remains.

Edited by Jive Turkey

5 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i know part of the allure of this show is "you never know who is gonna die and when, and nobody is safe!" but now that we're at the end, does anyone really care that much if a bunch of people do or don't die?

during the series, big-name deaths helped propel plot advancements and twists spun the viewer around to keep them guessing.  that's what made the stories/episodes so compelling and entertaining.  but now, it doesn't do much for me to see big tier 1 characters die, unless there's a really good reason to do so.  and "because that's how the books are/grrm wants it this way" is not a good reason.

it's a tv show, so i don't really care if arya or sansa or brienne or tyrion are alive the day after the events of the finale.  their future or the future of westeros means nothing to me.  if main character deaths help provide the best ending possible, then i'm down.  but i feel like a lot of people are setting themselves up for mass disappointment if a bunch of people somehow survive.

the hound is going to have it out with the mountain.  call it a wash.  cersei is the big bad remaining, so if someone kills her, it will likely be because of the sacrifice of 1-2 top-end characters.  i would say there's a chance cersei wins, but that would likely mean all/most of the other characters die, and i just don't see a realistic way for that to happen.  the only other way is if some of the good guys turn on each other, which after this battle, seems unlikely and silly.  

the producers/writers also know they have to give fan service to any major death, and i'd rather not spend half of the next 350 minutes watching that.

if you divide the remaining "big 15" or so characters into 3 tiers, my prediction is you'll get one tier 1 death, and 1-2 each of the other tiers max.  there will be got spinoffs, we already know that, and i'm sure they'll keep with the "unpredictability" but nobody wants to go into a new show thinking "well, we know errbody gonna die at the end".  there are plenty of ways to payoff character arcs.

Yes, I think it does matter. You don't have a tour of the entire cast like they had last week to have all of the tier one characters survive. I am not saying all of them needed to die but the biggest battle of the entire series should have had more than a couple of tier two characters get taken out. 

That said I thought the episode was incredible. 

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If I’m Cersei, and I know that the winner at winterfell is going to get their shit together and come south for my crown and my head, i march my newly purchased army north and position them so that they can attack winterfell during the aftermath of the first battle when the victor will be weakest and in disarray. 

Daeny still has two dragons. It'll be interesting to see how they devise a way for Cersei and her army to put up a fight against two dragons. 

I thought the red witch's ending was done really well.  The doubt creeping in when she was trying to ignite the trench, her foreknowledge and manipulation to ensure things were in place to play out the way it did.  Her use of magic to keep herself young was not vanity, it was to allow her to play her part in the great war, and when her part was over, she relinquished it and died.  Arya got the big kill shot, but she would never had the opportunity if Melisandre had not been pulling strings not only in the last episode but all along the way.  She was somewhat akin to Littlefinger in that regard, though one who manipulated others and events for better ends.

Sadly, Melisandre's death ends any hope for Bran finding a soul mate in Westeros.
I liked her overall story but was expecting her to get overwhelmed by zombies right as she lit the fire. That would have been a better way to go than walking out and disentigrating

2 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Yes, I think it does matter. You don't have a tour of the entire cast like they had last week to have all of the tier one characters survive. I am not saying all of them needed to die but the biggest battle of the entire series should have had more than a couple of tier two characters get taken out. 

That said I thought the episode was incredible. 

right.  i was referencing people's comments about the next 3 episodes and deaths they expect.  i too thought we'd see a little more high-end carnage last night.

• Like 1

Just now, irishtexan said:

Daeny still has two dragons. It'll be interesting to see how they devise a way for Cersei and her army to put up a fight against two dragons. 

One may be hurt right now. Unless dragon defense is castle dependent, you can defend Kings landing against an organized army and 2 healthy dragons, or an army of the dead that just beat and now includes that army, you can force the issue and fight what remains by attacking winterfell, or you can hope for enough losses on both sides that you can handle whatever is left. 

29 minutes ago, Goredho said:

She should have been naked.

Wasn't she the one who convinced Stannis to burn his daughter at the stake? (After all we've seen, I still think that is the most gut-wrenching scene in this show's run.)

3 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

The fuck? First off, that sentence on its face is too dumb to give a serious response, and second, the history channel is too busy talking about aliens and showing reality TV to cover any actual history. 

And finally, and i'm gonna *try* to only say this once, but we'll see how this goes:

Shaggy, for years: OTHER PEOPLE ARE ALLOWED TO HAVE THEIR OWN OPINIONS DERKA, jesus, can we permaban this fuck already, gah?!?!?!

Also Shaggy, for years: ANYONE WHO DIDNT LIKE THE SAME TV EPISODE AS ME IS WRONG, AND NEEDS TO FUCK OFF AND DIE.

This happens with every major TV show in the internet age. The fanboys refuse to even allow for the idea that the show isn't still at its 100% absolute peak level of greatness, and they butthurtedly attack anyone who says otherwise en masse. This site (or at least it's predecessor) was literally founded so that people could be free to give their actual opinions, regardless of popularity or PC-ness, but a huge portion of the denizens here only like that ideology when it aligns with exactly what they think and feel. Making it to where differing opinions are not allowed is the definition of "Derka'ing" a thread.

Cool.  This thread is about Derka again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

One may be hurt right now. Unless dragon defense is castle dependent, you can defend Kings landing against an organized army and 2 healthy dragons, or an army of the dead that just beat and now includes that army, you can force the issue and fight what remains by attacking winterfell, or you can hope for enough losses on both sides that you can handle whatever is left. 

Rabble rabble the military tactics on this show are dumb rabble rabble.

“You know if it was me, I’d leave the literal keep at the top of the hill inside the walled city to go fight an unknown opponent on open ground. It’s either going to be a giant army of the undead that was successful and gets larger everyday on whatever ground we happen to meet at, or me laying siege in the dead of winter to the remanent of 2 great forces from Essos and a bunch of pissed off Northmen in their own castle that they just prepared for a long siege...and they have dragons. Force the issue you know.”

Rabble rabble the military tactics on this show are dumb rabble rabble.

• Like 1

what did the white walkers do?  what was the purpose of all those main characters welding valyrian swords.  why hype it up for all these season.  nary a fight between them.  in fact the white walkers did not even do anything the whole battle.  what the hell?

it was theatrical a good movie.  it was a good horror movie which forgot all the story lines that got it there.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

what did the white walkers do?  what was the purpose of all those main characters welding valyrian swords.  why hype it up for all these season.  nary a fight between them.  in fact the white walkers did not even do anything the whole battle.  what the hell?

it was theatrical a good movie.  it was a good horror movie which forgot all the story lines that got it there.

i dont know.  all the dudes that had valeryian steel swords seemed to hold their own and not die.  except for jorah.

18 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

also, if cersei's "newly purchased army" somehow plays a big role in the final showdown, color me disappointed.  that's right up there with euron's 1000 ships for me.

lord of light ex machina.  Or new gods ex machina.  Children of the Forest ex machina.  Something, something ex machina.  

6 hours ago, DanRydell said:

Why did the NK decide that NOW was the time to march south after waiting thousands of years?

Did you happen to notice, at any point throughout the 8 seasons of this show, that there was a huge fucking wall between the NK and the 7 kingdoms?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

lord of light ex machina.  Or new gods ex machina.  Children of the Forest ex machina.  Something, something ex machina.  

Every battle in this show has seemingly had ex machina events (e.g., Tyrion at Blackwater Bay; John at Ice Lake; John at Battle of the Bastards; Jamie and the Loot Train (bottomless river)).  That being said, I'm cool with it.

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread