Week 14, 2023, Texas v Washington, College Football Playoff Edition

Wulaw Horn

Did you really post

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It’s not about me, nor did I say that. 

after posting

"What have I actually done? Well, let’s see. I picked this team in the preseason poll to win 12 or more. I picked Texas to make the playoffs in two preseason threads. Picked Texas to beat Bama in Tuscaloosa. Boy, I sure lacked faith.

Oh, and then I did that thing where I helped invent a fucking NIL machine for Sarkisian, helped intellectually, operationally and monetarily enable a rapid solution to land and retain critical talent at OL and TE, and then, oh yeah, helped unite an NIL solution for the entirety of Texas athletics and put in near 6 figures on the football NIL end of TOF to help seed it."

I'm confused.

No need to respond though, I'm sure it will be something, something, blah, blah, blah, fancy words, big paragraph.

Every regular on this board understands and appreciates what you have done for NIL at the University of Texas including me but I'm pretty sure most of us don't want to see you talk about all you've done and then say it isn't about you. No one said you are a bad fan and no one said you hate Texas. Please stop twisting/changing/ adding words to push your individual narratives. Some people see through that.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

WTF???

You must have found the texags equivalent of the Husky board.  

Everyone I know still kinda likes Sark.  Mainly because fucking Tyrone took us to 0-12 the year before Sark showed up and then Sark beat top-5 U$C in his 3rd game. 

Any hard feelings against Sark stem from the fact that his teams would always no-show against some shitty team, usually from Arizona.  

Plus, we ended up with Petersen when he left, so that was nothing but a huge upgrade.

Could be and I honestly don't remember which one it was. I just know there was a lot of animosity and ill will. I'll start lurking again and see if I can find it.

1 hour ago, troph said:

So why wouldn’t we get super physical in the first 5 yards giving the DL an extra second and throw off routes? 

I love press coverage and disrupting the slant with inside leverage but 1) they are really good at beating it with large, fast, physical receivers, 2) we haven't demonstrated outside of TTech and oSu that we can really do it (plus UW aint TTech-level receivers), 4) our safeties aren't built for it (yet, we don't have the speed or skill there), and 5) missing in zone means you give a 10-20 yard gain and hopefully keep shit in front of you and limit YAC but missing in man press means you give up 75 yard TD's, but maaaaybe get a few INTs.  High risk, high reward.  UW is built to annihilate that.

I loathe soft zone, but I won't be mad if we do it here, mix in zone blitzes and get to Penix while taking away the run game.  He can execute all the way down the field but better to make him complete a dozen passes per drive than 1 slant that breaks for 60+.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Balcones said:

Anyone know what are the team hotels for both teams? 

User who pretty much never posts on the football board asks what hotels the teams will be staying at, hours after the matchup is announced...

Stalions' burner confirmed?

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Modessit said:

So whose refs are we getting?

I think Washington has probably capitulated letting the Big 12 ref our game. Big Asian population in Washington and Kevin Mar would be an instant ratings bonanza for them.

my guess is it will be ACC or maybe a MWC/AAC crew.

They can't really let SEC/Big12/Pac2 ref ours.  maybe Big10 for us and Pac12 for the other semi.

33 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Sweat is the team MVP

Reminds me of the football team banquets I had to play while in school.  Not much fun for us band guys. Back in the cash strapped 80's we got a completely different meal than the team and guests.

The worst one was right after Akers got fired. It was like a funeral, you know, kind of like aggy's banquet this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

One concern is Washington will run blitz the fuck out of Texas and they have the personnel to execute it well. IIRC Sark has struggled scheming against run blitzes. 

On the flip side Washington is not good when the defense can get pressure to Penix. Arizona State of all teams held them to 15 points because they got pressure on him and they struggled to move the ball.   

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

One concern is Washington will run blitz the fuck out of Texas and they have the personnel to execute it well. IIRC Sark has struggled scheming against run blitzes. 

On the flip side Washington is not good when the defense can get pressure to Penix. Arizona State of all teams held them to 15 points because they got pressure on him and they struggled to move the ball.   

That would be a bad game plan for them against this team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Man, it's just crazy to think this is an actual reality. And that one massive choice to play Alabama in a home and home was the fuel this team needed. Just like Ohio State was the spark that lit the fuse for the 05 team. I love that we get at least another month to discuss meaningful college football in Austin. It's been far too long. 

Yeah it still doesn't feel real.

44 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Sidebar - hopefully he sticks around til New Years

Sark was able to do the job as Alabama OC and Texas HC for a bit. I suspect Choate can manage Texas LB Coach and Nevada HC for a month.

But we'll see. I will be pretty annoyed if we just let coaches leave right before our biggest and most important games. I mean glad you got this job and all but you probably should stay and finish the season.

7 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

2022 Alamo Bowl Thread  

On 12/31/2022 at 8:32 AM, Nivek said:

I was strangely dispassionate about the game.  I normally am more into them, but felt like there was a bit of a letdown without Bijan and RoJo.   Washington came out hyped up and ready to play, and Texas overall did fine.   Quinn looked better.  The defense did alright considering all of the holding and the one-sided spot preference.   The WRs which have been underwhelming all season continued that streak.  I was pleasantly surprised by the Cain catch at the end and I laughed watching him run after an earlier reception.   All in all, Quinn continued to compete.  Brooks might be serviceable.  O-line still blows.  The incoming guys should shore up some of the issues and maybe by '24, we might feature a solid team with locker-room leaders.

Yeah that Brooks guy might work out.

Remember when Casey Cain used to start? Crazy.

Hope it all works out in 24. January of '24.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Sark was able to do the job as Alabama OC and Texas HC for a bit. I suspect Choate can manage Texas LB Coach and Nevada HC for a month.

But we'll see. I will be pretty annoyed if we just let coaches leave right before our biggest and most important games. I mean glad you got this job and all but you probably should stay and finish the season.

Would think that staying and winning a NC would help with his cred on the recruiting trail.

• Hook 'Em 2

Sark should develop a T'Vondre/Murphy package of plays for wider use.  It would force the defense to react and pull at least 1 out of the box in short yardage.  Hell Sweat could line up in the slot and set one hell of a pick just lumbering across the middle.  And if he's open, throw it to him.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

Alabama will boatrace the Michigan frauds. 

I don't think they will boatrace them. Georgia made Bama look 1 dimensional and I think Michigan has better lines than Bama. Michigan is one of the few teams who can match up with Texas on the line. That being said, Michigan will need to find some offense to win. I think it will be a brawl and the final score will be something like 24-20. 

Edited by The_Great_Hornsby
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It’s not about me, nor did I say that. I know that kind of rhetorical tactic crushes it for you elsewhere though. 

That considered, this isn’t “Sark’s success”. It’s Texas Football’s success and Sarkisian is the head coach of it and he’s benefitted mightily from NIL and he’ll tell you as much. 

That second point is big. In todays landscape, any coach saying otherwise is Dabo or some other narcissistic person. The NIL support allows Sark to have a seat at the table for players/recruits/portal that otherwise would not be attainable. His job is to be the elite recruiter and close the deal. I’m happy to see that he’s honest and upfront about it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

• immamac unpinned this topic
  • Pancho locked this topic
  • Pancho unlocked this topic