Week 14, 2023, Texas v Washington, College Football Playoff Edition

Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

Good god that Hardcorehusky board is delusional.  They apparently think that all three of their receivers are better than Worthy. What a really strange fan base Washington has. 

Fuck em. Let them think whatever their poor, tiny pea brains can imagine. 

Their tears will be that much sweeter. 

type set GIF

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

Good god that Hardcorehusky board is delusional.  They apparently think that all three of their receivers are better than Worthy. What a really strange fan base Washington has. 

I've lurked over there ever since I heard that "throat shit" poster was running over and telling them how shitty we were. That board is a fucking wasteland of no analysis. It's not as odd as an aggy board but it's pretty bad. Washington is the best, winners win, Texas hired sark, he's a drunk. Washington won last year, don't care if your DTs are the best in the nation they aren't Penix or whatever Oregon Dline combo, blah blah blah. Washington wins.

• Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

28 minutes ago, troph said:

I've lurked over there ever since I heard that "throat shit" poster was running over and telling them how shitty we were. That board is a fucking wasteland of no analysis. It's not as odd as an aggy board but it's pretty bad. Washington is the best, winners win, Texas hired sark, he's a drunk. Washington won last year, don't care if your DTs are the best in the nation they aren't Penix or whatever Oregon Dline combo, blah blah blah. Washington wins.

Yeah, @Mitch Cumsteen had me thinking we could actually talk football over there. That is clearly not the case. 

2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

I've read your back and forth with them and Mitch. There will be mass seppuku if they lose. I thought they were just giving visitors a hard time but they really believe that there is no way they lose to such an inferior, lower class program. 

18 hours ago, Huskyfan1997 said:

lol, fine ok.  This will be my last post.  You guys obviously don't want me here.  Not sure what week 16 means and why you need to call me an idiot, but oh well.  I was just trying to have some productive discussions about this interesting game coming up.

The video was just supposed to provide some good insight into what a competent defense can do to Penix.  I think he was 10-22 passing at one point.  

Good luck fellas.  Sorry I couldn't be more friendly apparently.  

Image of It's done out of love.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

I particularly liked the "how can we lose to a fat NT" and "we're going to run straight over him" comments. No shortage of chuckle fodder there.

I do wonder how our OL will handle their DL playmakers. Supposedly their best DT (Tuli Letuligasenoa) was injured and now available, and they have the unknown Zack Durfee and Bralen Trice, who is legit.

I did look over some dated footage of Zack Durfee and he looked good against the competition he played in it. So I expect our OT's will have their hands full.

• Hook 'Em 2

My Brother and I had talked and decided if Texas played Washington we would go. We are both Texas fans but his wife went to UW so it works out. Well I get a call today saying “we decided to buy airfare and stuff for the national championship since one tell will be in…….sorry”. I mean I get it but it was the perfect game to go And see. Little disappointed because I’m not buying natty tickets before we are in it. 

58 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

lol the Seahawks do not take a back seat to a MLS team

Exactly. Does an MLS team take a backseat team to any other main sport an area has? I can't think of any. It's a bottom tier league.

Inter Miami is easily more popular than the Marlins right now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

My Brother and I had talked and decided if Texas played Washington we would go. We are both Texas fans but his wife went to UW so it works out. Well I get a call today saying “we decided to buy airfare and stuff for the national championship since one tell will be in…….sorry”. I mean I get it but it was the perfect game to go And see. Little disappointed because I’m not buying natty tickets before we are in it. 

That's some dumbass wife logic at its finest. At least, I'm assuming your brother didn't talk himself into that.

You should still go to the Sugar Bowl.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Inter Miami is easily more popular than the Marlins right now. 

The Marlins have a beautiful park and were actually good last season. Be interesting to see if their attendance is better this coming season.

Edited by Valmy77

12 minutes ago, Huskyfan1997 said:

Ok, back by popular demand.  And DaHobbs, I've just read your interactions on Hardcore Husky.  You've been treated way worse than I have here.  

To answer the question about how much people care up in Seattle ...

Seattle is a very bandwagon-ish town.  Back in the 90's when the Seahawks sucked, they couldn't even sell out the 60K seats in the old Kingdome.  Yet the Husky football team easily sold out its 70K stadium with long season ticket waiting lists.  

Huskies are a big deal especially when they are good.  I've seen many national analysts comment that the Oregon vs UW game up here was the loudest stadium they've ever been to.  

Seahawks > Huskies > Mariners > Kraken > Sounders > Storm

Sonics would be 3rd if stupid Oklahomans didn't steal them. 

hey bitch ass crybaby. glad you back

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Huskyfan1997 said:

Ok, back by popular demand.  And DaHobbs, I've just read your interactions on Hardcore Husky.  You've been treated way worse than I have here.  

Seattle is a very bandwagon-ish town.  Back in the 90's when the Seahawks sucked, they couldn't even sell out the 60K seats in the old Kingdome.  Yet the Husky football team easily sold out its 70K stadium with long season ticket waiting lists.  

Huskies are a big deal especially when they are good.  I've seen many national analysts comment that the Oregon vs UW game up here was the loudest stadium they've ever been to.  

Step into the cocktagon, my good bitch

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Huskyfan1997 said:

First the stole the land, then they stole the Sonics and renamed them the Thunder and thought nobody would notice.

2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Yeah, @Mitch Cumsteen had me thinking we could actually talk football over there. That is clearly not the case. 

It's definitely lacking in serious football talk. Some of the talk is just ignorant "you're from Texas, you suck, go fuck yourself" stuff. I like the board in general, though. It doesn't get near the amount of action that surly does.

Tying to understand where they're coming from, they have a bit of a chip on their shoulder because nobody gave them much of a chance/respect against Oregon or Penix didn't win the heisman or they play in the pacific time zone or whatever. They definitely have a hard on for Sark, understandably, and to a lesser extent PK, but they've been on a helluva roll since Deboer got there and they gave it to us pretty good last year in the Alamobowl. 

Hopefully Texas earns a little more respect from them in New Orleans.

• Hook 'Em 1

Definitely a big chip on shoulder up here due to lack of national respect ("south Alaska", etc).  Couple that with past glories 30 years ago and you have the cauldron that is that board.  They think UW is still some powerhouse like in the early 90's.  Which we aren't.  I mean many of our current players lost to Montana 2 years ago.  That's like losing to a peewee team.  

Honestly don't know why all the hate for Sark.  Sark brought us back from the dead.  But he realized he could never consistently get 5 star recruits like USC can.  I don't blame him for going to USC.  You pair his play calling with 5 star talent and you get what Texas is now (minus the alcoholism).

I won't blame Deboer for jumping ship, but like I said before I hope it's to an NFL team.  I already hear rumors that the Chargers want him.  What he's done in 2 years with this team is nothing short of a miracle.   

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Huskyfan1997 said:

Welcome back. As to my treatment, I ain't worried about. I don't mind some shit talking or confidence. It is just odd that talking somewhat serious football is impossible. What's your take on your injured players coming back in? I know you have the defensive tackle and a couple of safeties, any feel for how it'll affect your pass coverage and run stopping? Also, it appears odd to me that Washington gives up a healthy average to opposing rushers, yet teams still prefer to throw at nearly 60% on your defense. Does Washington stop the run on normal run downs but give up an inflated average by things like draws on passing downs? Or is something else going on there? 

• Like 1

The collective IQ used to be higher until those damn ducks flooded the boards with nothing but trolls.  So all the high IQ's left leaving it to be trolls vs trolls haha.  Ducks are the worst.  They got a sugar daddy paying for the implants and butt lifts and giving them shiny new cars.  And for that they got some major attitude. 

• Haha 6

IMO, it's so difficult to compare these teams based on results.  The top 10 passing offenses in the country is littered with a bunch of Pac 12 teams.  So all these metrics and stats are skewed and difficult to read anything into them.  

Regarding injuries, MacMillan was a huge difference maker.  He was out after game 3 I think and didn't really get back until the Pac 12 championship game.  He is a problem for defenses when all 3 are healthy.  They still beat Oregon in the first game, but most people will say the UO outplayed UW that game.  But nobody says that in the last game.  

But this was my original point on this board.  Depth is a huge advantage for Texas since you have a bunch of 5 stars waiting their turn for when an injury happens.  UW has no depth, especially on defense.  And our 2 safeties were out for most of those middle games.  When everybody is healthy, they can play competently and decently.  Definitely not elite, but enough for their offense to win games still, usually.  

• Hook 'Em 2

my view of the game:
1. Unpredictability factor - I think Texas is on schedule or a year early tbqh. This is uncharted territory for the entire team (5-7 / 8-5 / 12-1). That said, the leaders of this team are ballers and that includes a sophomore QB. But 18-22 year olds, who knows. A month to get cocky, a month to get motivated, a month to get in trouble, a month to get healthy, a month to scheme. Those are huge wild cards.  How will the kids respond? How will the coaches attack. PK can "dial up" some bad mother fucker schemes. See Alabama. Sark is a known quantity here. But tendencies matter and Sark has his issues with pedantic adherence to play calls like 4 straight runs at the 1 (insane no calls notwithstanding) against OU. We've had plenty of red zone problems. We did see changes against Tech and oSu on short yardage so that's a wildcard too. Another wild card - officiating. Texas will not have to deal with a Big 12 crew. That bodes very well for the Horns on both sides of the ball. All of this to say, I would not bet on this game, too many wildcards and unknowns when you really take a step back.

2. Texas run defense - game is over if we don't stop the run. Good news, no Texas fan should be worried. No one has run on Texas. The Horns have the top rated DT rotation in the country and Sweat has been so dominate he even made an appearance in the Heisman polling. Our stats show better for opponents than how the games really played out and yet Texas is still one of the best against the run. Washington fans think they will have no problem because "last year". Be confident, don't care, had sex last night. And don't care, everyone has said the same thing. Sweat is immovable. Murphy is a fucking machine. The speed on the edge and the scheme (as my pedestrian eyes see it) pushes the run back to the inside and the big guys eat it up. Ford and Ant Hill are great in supporting Sweat/Murphy and co. Could WA get their RBs in space on the outside? Sure. When they do, will they have success? Sure. Will they have success consistently in the run game, enough to rely on it? They could, but all statistical analysis, all game output to date suggests that is actually not likely.  I suspect Washington's coaching staff has a view more similar to ours than their fans.

3. Texas defense on first down // Texas defense on third down - I think this is where the game is decided.  if Washington stays ahead of the chains, Texas is in deep shit (same can be said for Washington's defense vs. Texas offense). And Washington will score points and will have several sustained drives and probably some big plays too. Each time that happens, discard, forget and line up again.  The game within the game is having enough opportunities to put the pressure on Penix (more so than he's used to and require that he alone perform). If Texas can get into obvious passing downs after stopping the run, then Hill, Sorrell, Burke can pin their ears back - and I think this group has what it takes to get their sacks. Texas gets more than 3 sacks (see Alabama / Texas had 5) and Texas is well on the way to a win. As for winning first down, I would expect at least 1/3 of the time, Texas can do this. Missed execution in the passing game (it will happen), run stuffed, penalty, sack, whatever it may be. 2/3 of the time I suspect Washington will have a solid gain, a run, pass, defensive penalty, etc. Will that be enough? Can Texas get into situational third and long and execute?  Executing on third and long and first and ten will require pressure and stopping the run. Let's see what happens, but situational opportunities will turn this game. The more third and longs we get, the better Texas will fare. So I will not only watch for third down conversion rates for Washington but maybe more importantly, how many third downs does Washington have to play from (and within that set how many are third and long). The more (to a degree) the better chance Texas has to stop them. That is the crux of the contest when it comes to Texas D vs. Washington O. 

4. Texas offense - Look, I've seen Washington play. They play physical defense... for a Pac-12 team. OU and Alabama are probably more physical than what Washington will bring (can't wait for idoits that know nothing about Texas OU to come in here telling me I'm wrong about that). And we aren't going to get any bonus points for "murderer's row" but we took everyone's best shot this year and once you get past the obvious OU and Alabama teams, teams like KSU and Iowa State, the core of that daunting gauntlet, are also physical football teams. Washington is a much better team than those two as an example, but physicality is just not something that is going to keep me up on this one.  Texas pass pro is legit, someone in the OL thread posted championship week we had 3 of the top 5 graded linemen - and that's with two sophomores, 1 junior and 2 seniors (check my math). Simply not worried at all. Doesn't mean it won't be a battle, but I think Washington will have to bring pressure to overwhelm the Texas OL in pass pro. If Washington gets 3-4 sacks, maybe. But that pressure will put Texas in a position to take advantage whether it's screens and runs or the long ball.  Texas will run the ball, Texas will pass the ball. QE and Baxter/Blue/KRob will get their yards and Texas will get its points. Where Texas can lose this on offense is the 3rd quarter disappearing Houdini act, or Quinn starting slow, or turnovers. But on paper, Texas O should cruise and score 35+ points.

5. Turnovers/special teams - This could help either team balance out the success or lack thereof on points 3 or 4. Texas gets a timely INT, it won't matter if Penix threw for 300 yards. Washington gets an INT it won't matter Texas defense was winning first down to get third and long.  Same with X on the punt returns, KRob on KO and punt block teams. I'm sure Washington will try to get theirs too.  Obviously a wild card as well.

6. Washington hurry up ? - will Washington try and emulate OU's offense with the no huddle hurry up? Quite frankly it's the only offense that has beaten Texas all year. If you can keep the Texas DL rotation from happening on schedule you can gas our DTs or keep Sweat/Murphy out of key downs. It will be interesting to see if Washington tries to change or just stays to their strength. Some have said they hurry up to the line to call the play but that's not the same as a full tilt hurry up offense. Could be another wild card factor.

I don't know who wins, I think points 1 and 5 (maybe 6) make it impossible to know. But when watching, to me it's about Texas defense creating as many third and longs as possible and on offense staying in attack mode and executing well. Texas wins third down like it has all year (best in the nation), Texas wins.  Penix converts on third downs more often than not - or better for him - avoids too many third downs all together and Washington wins.

Queue up Washington fans telling us Penix is all world, best third down passer in the history, Texas doesn't stand a chance, Washington will run for 250 yards, Texas is arrogant, fans are stupid, queers and steers, Sark is a drunk, whatever the fuck, don't care.

Dude - after reading your thesis, do you have any more to offer? We have open ears and time, just saying.

Hook’em!!!
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Huskyfan1997 said:

But this was my original point on this board.  Depth is a huge advantage for Texas since you have a bunch of 5 stars waiting their turn for when an injury happens.  UW has no depth, especially on defense.  And our 2 safeties were out for most of those middle games.  When everybody is healthy, they can play competently and decently.  Definitely not elite, but enough for their offense to win games still, usually.  

It's not like Texas is two deep with 5 stars. Seriously, nowhere even close to that. And frankly, depth across the board is not injury proof either. Losing some starters results in a significant performance drop. The secondary is probably the most glaring example. Derek Williams being out due to targeting for the 1st half is less than ideal.

I'm expecting the Husky defense to be a little better than season stats suggest because of having your safeties and DT back along with the addition of Zach Durfee, who is something of a wildcard given no season tape. So interested to see how the OL handles the Husky DL. Texas does have two very good OTs, but Trice is a Junior, 1st round talent going up against same in Banks (sophomore).

4 hours ago, Crapinon said:

I've read your back and forth with them and Mitch. There will be mass seppuku if they lose. I thought they were just giving visitors a hard time but they really believe that there is no way they lose to such an inferior, lower class program. 

I'll use a bit of care and qualification here, because they aren't exactly the same but there sure seem to be a lot of similarities but my data points are vastly different.

I went snow skiing in Lake Tahoe prior to the USC game. I, by design, wore Texas gear frequently. I've also known more than my fair share of USC fans.

Every USC fan I had ANY level of engagement with was completely certain Texas would be destroyed. I really did not find a single "fan" that knew who "number 10 was for Texas" , and I asked frequently. Which sort of shocked me. I mean, I get not knowing our OL or DBs... but um.. he was at the same Heisman ceremony with Bush. 

060501_young_vmed_2p.thumb.jpg.0040154675abbdcf00af6c9ad314174f.jpg

Most USC fans I met at the time and know epitomize the fair weather Tshirt fan.

Based on the experience with Washington, it seems it might be a West Coast fan thing, not just a USC fan item.

Edited by BurntEyes
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

CSB time. In 2005, I had a buddy of mine who was a huge USC homer from SoCal. We were jawing at each other all year talking about which team was better. Once the Rose Bowl was announced it became a full on smackfest. He knew a little bit about Texas, but had not really watched them play. He was too enamored with Reggie Bush and Matt Leinhart to care about our little team. Fast forward to the game, and the 4th and 5. As soon as Vince crossed the goal line my phone rings. He just says "Dude, Vince Young is the most incredible fucking athlete I have ever seen. *Click*"  To this day it was one of the greatest phone calls I have ever received. 

Is a CSB! 

..but you had a signal just after that AND heard it ring.

Were you using a sat phone and why were you answering it?

Oh wait.. maybe you weren't at the game.

I'm on page now.

Edited by BurntEyes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

The collective IQ used to be higher until those damn ducks flooded the boards with nothing but trolls.  So all the high IQ's left leaving it to be trolls vs trolls haha.  Ducks are the worst.  They got a sugar daddy paying for the implants and butt lifts and giving them shiny new cars.  And for that they got some major attitude. 

Pics? For research..

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

I'll use a bit of care and qualification here, because they aren't exactly the same but there sure seem to be a lot of similarities but my data points are vastly different.

I went snow skiing in Lake Tahoe prior to the USC game. I, by design, wore Texas gear frequently. I've also known more than my fair share of USC fans.

Every USC fan I had ANY level of engagement with was completely certain Texas would be destroyed. I really did not find a single "fan" that knew who "number 10 was for Texas" , and I asked frequently. Which sort of shocked me. I mean, I get not knowing our OL or DBs... but um.. he was at the same Heisman ceremony with Bush. 

Based on the experience with Washington, it seems it might be a West Coast fan thing, not just a USC fan item.

I think this characterization is accurate except WA fans seem to still clamor for respect where USC fans had that fucking fight song playing in their ears the whole damn time so they couldn't hear what we were saying anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Vertigo said:

CSB time. In 2005, I had a buddy of mine who was a huge USC homer from SoCal. We were jawing at each other all year talking about which team was better. Once the Rose Bowl was announced it became a full on smackfest. He knew a little bit about Texas, but had not really watched them play. He was too enamored with Reggie Bush and Matt Leinhart to care about our little team. Fast forward to the game, and the 4th and 5. As soon as Vince crossed the goal line my phone rings. He just says "Dude, Vince Young is the most incredible fucking athlete I have ever seen. *Click*"  To this day it was one of the greatest phone calls I have ever received. 

Extra points for “snow skiing”

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

My CSB: I have only been skiing in Tahoe once in my life, and it was back during Christmas break of 2005 when I was in highschool. On the flight from Houston to Reno, I was wearing a Longhorn shirt and sat by a middle-aged USC fan who couldn't help but antagonize a teenager with declarations that USC would kick our ass and Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush were leagues better than anyone on our team. I tried briefly to convince him that he was vastly underestimating VY, but he was having none of it. I told this arrogant man to just wait and see in January. My only regret was not getting his contact info before leaving that flight so I could have followed up with him.

• Hook 'Em 3

14 hours ago, Huskyfan1997 said:

Regarding injuries, MacMillan was a huge difference maker.  He was out after game 3 I think and didn't really get back until the Pac 12 championship game.  He is a problem for defenses when all 3 are healthy.

McMillan is who jumped out to me in the championship game v Oregon. Nobody knew his name because he missed the bulk of the season, but that guy is real good and I expect he'll find some space against us. Hook 'em!

6 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

My CSB: I have only been skiing in Tahoe once in my life, and it was back during Christmas break of 2005 when I was in highschool. On the flight from Houston to Reno, I was wearing a Longhorn shirt and sat by a middle-aged USC fan who couldn't help but antagonize a teenager with declarations that USC would kick our ass and Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush were leagues better than anyone on our team. I tried briefly to convince him that he was vastly underestimating VY, but he was having none of it. I told this arrogant man to just wait and see in January. My only regret was not getting his contact info before leaving that flight so I could have followed up with him.

He knows he FAFO.

17 hours ago, Huskyfan1997 said:

Honestly don't know why all the hate for Sark.  Sark brought us back from the dead.  But he realized he could never consistently get 5 star recruits like USC can.  I don't blame him for going to USC.  You pair his play calling with 5 star talent and you get what Texas is now (minus the alcoholism).

The Sark hate is weird. He left the program in much better shape than he found it and UW got a great coach when he left. That wasn't a Jimbo/FSU situation where he burned down the program on the way out.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Texasrocks said:

The Sark hate is weird. He left the program in much better shape than he found it and UW got a great coach when he left. That wasn't a Jimbo/FSU situation where he burned down the program on the way out.

They don’t like being reminded that they aren’t a blue blood because they think of themselves as a blue blood. Sark putting that mirror up to them pisses them off. 
My dad was a husky fan and grew up in Bremerton. I have some relationships with a couple of his friends, my cousins went to school there, etc. 

• Pancho locked this topic
  • Pancho unlocked this topic