Week 14, 2023, Texas v Washington, College Football Playoff Edition

Wulaw Horn

3 minutes ago, ousux said:
30 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:
Ha, imagine the chaos you would see if they could play. No thanks. 

Then the portal shouldn't open until at least the first round of playoffs games are done, if not after the championship game itself.

The portal guys need to find a school before the spring semester starts.  It’s a scheduling problem.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, ousux said:
9 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:
The portal guys need to find a school before the spring semester starts.  It’s a scheduling problem.

Yeah, I know there's no easy solution, but it's the ultimate tease having an elite safety that we can't use when we need them most.

You don’t want to play a guy at safety who has 2 weeks to learn the defense.  Safety mistakes result in the other team dancing in the end zone, and UW seems like they are well equipped to do just that.

You don’t want to play a guy at safety who has 2 weeks to learn the defense.  Safety mistakes result in the other team dancing in the end zone, and UW seems like they are well equipped to do just that.
Not full time but 2 weeks is enough prep to play a few critical snaps where elite coverage is needed.

Edit- we're talking about a 3 year starter at Clemson, not someone coming off one season in the backfield.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, ousux said:

Not full time but 2 weeks is enough prep to play a few critical snaps where elite coverage is needed.

Edit- we're talking about a 3 year starter at Clemson, not someone coming off one season in the backfield.

It’s a bad idea which thankfully can’t happen.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, pyrohornIII said:

Curious what you guys think Strength and Conditioning and depth will play in this game.  Seems like Sark and Co have done a good job keeping a lot of talent in rotation to get guys like Ant Hill and Muhammad playing time and experience.  And then I would have to imagine our summer trainings and games in the heat would increase our guys' stamina?  

One of the coaches in the UW article mentioned playing fast to wear out Sweat and Murphy.  I saw other teams do that this year and we didn't step off a cliff when our 2nd teamers got in to give the starters breathers.  It always seemed that by the end of the game, both our lines had worn the opponents down.  

Does UW have the same caliber depth?

39 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Just based on defensive snap counts, they have 5 on D that don’t come of the field much. Trice and 4 DBs. They rotate elsewhere it seems. Each of those dudes played 72+% of defensive snaps.

Sweat played 53% of snaps and Murphy 46%. In closer games that was around 60 and 50%, respectively from what I recall.

We’ve had more rotation on the back end. We’ve only got 1 defender, Ford, that played over 72% of defensive snaps. I would not think there’s a significant difference in blowouts causing our rotations that much more.

The going fast philosophy is a bit interesting because it seems as though we substitute at the outset of series. I think they’re more likely to have quick strikes than to consistently drive the field. Particularly if we get the aggressive style that many here seem to favor.

OU was the only team to neutralize sweat and Murphy for a bit. It was no huddle hurry up not just no huddle. WA also does a fair amount of shotgun / 5-7 step drop it seems to me - that’s a long way for a 300-360 lb tackle to run. Limited breaks in between snaps with a no huddle hurry up in sync could be a real problem. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Rewatch of the Alamo bowl on youtube is brutal. So many missed opportunities, but the defense just couldn’t get off the field. 

Both teams are better this season.  We couldn’t stop the run last season, so hopefully that has changed but their strength is out weakness (secondary)  

True coin flip. Hope the boys want it more. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 3

It’s a bad idea which thankfully can’t happen.
NFL teams grab trades right before the playoffs, seems to work for them in some cases. But you're right in that it would cause too much chaos in CFB, and most players would be hard to integrate into a system in such a short amount of time. I'm still going to wreck something if Taafe or Thompson get burned for a few TD's and cost us a shot at winning it all.

NFL teams grab trades right before the playoffs, seems to work for them in some cases. But you're right in that it would cause too much chaos in CFB, and most players would be hard to integrate into a system in such a short amount of time. I'm still going to wreck something if Taafe or Thompson get burned for a few TD's and cost us a shot at winning it all.

The NFL trade deadline passed some time ago and there’s still 3 weeks left. They’re professionals.

Since I like to bang my head against the wall, I’ll throw out some positives.

Our safeties were on the field for the best 3rd down conversion defense. Your top 2 interceptors are S. Some of those picks were critical. PFF graded one of your S 10 points higher than Mukuba in pass D. Jalen Milroe has thrown two picks in only 1 game. Texas. He has completed 40+ yard completions in 10 games. Texas was only 1 of those.

The Corners were generally more responsible in late season games. Our pass rush struggled with some contain in KSU, the big play versus OU. It was not effective versus Houston.

Washington will likely have success down the field. Expect it. That alone will not beat us.

The NFL trade deadline passed some time ago and there’s still 3 weeks left. They’re professionals.

Since I like to bang my head against the wall, I’ll throw out some positives.

Our safeties were on the field for the best 3rd down conversion defense. Your top 2 interceptors are S. Some of those picks were critical. PFF graded one of your S 10 points higher than Mukuba in pass D. Jalen Milroe has thrown two picks in only 1 game. Texas. He has completed 40+ yard completions in 10 games. Texas was only 1 of those.

The Corners were generally more responsible in late season games. Our pass rush struggled with some contain in KSU, the big play versus OU. It was not effective versus Houston.

Washington will likely have success down the field. Expect it. That alone will not beat us.
I certainly hope it's not enough to beat us. I also hope we can regain the intensity and fuck you all very much we had the last two games of the season.

2 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

Does UW have the same caliber depth?

They do not. But talent isn’t the biggest issue for them. It’s time and experience in system. The UW starting roster is full of 4th and 5th year players. Penix has played in this system for six years, including at Indiana. Their receiver group has worked together and with Penix continuously for 2 years. 

Any backups would be a big drop in unit cohesion, time and experience in system. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I certainly hope it's not enough to beat us. I also hope we can regain the intensity and fuck you all very much we had the last two games of the season.

I think health and game planning will be on point like they haven’t been since Bama.

We certainly need each player to bring it individually. I feel confident they will.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I think health and game planning will be on point like they haven’t been since Bama.

We certainly need each player to bring it individually. I feel confident they will.
Speaking of bringing it, Michael Penix was recently asked what he remembers about last year's game against Texas..

"I don't remember anything, just that we won"

Hopefully Sweat, Murphy, Hill, Burke etc can help him truly not remember this one either? Of course he can later be reminded of the loss.

18 minutes ago, ousux said:

Speaking of bringing it, Michael Penix was recently asked what he remembers about last year's game against Texas..

"I don't remember anything, just that we won"

Hopefully Sweat, Murphy, Hill, Burke etc can help him truly not remember this one either? Of course he can later be reminded of the loss.

The uncut part of that was nothing but praise for Texas on both sides of the ball.

The uncut part of that was nothing but praise for Texas on both sides of the ball.
Shut it, We need every little bit of extra motivation. When this team plays with a fuck you attitude good things happen. Hopefully some very good things the next couple weeks.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Allstate Sugar Bowl Send-off scheduled for Dec 27th

Cheer on Texas Football with a Texas-sized send-off as they depart for New Orleans!

Wednesday, Dec. 27 at 11:30 a.m.
San Jacinto St. south of Gate 1 of Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium

Screenshot_2023-12-24-20-35-37_kindlephoto-15185435.thumb.png.9ff49245bc3f05f76db3c5d1eee93dc2.png

Texas Football heads to New Orleans on Wednesday, Dec. 27 for the College Football Playoff Semifinal at the Allstate Sugar Bowl versus the Washington Huskies!

Join Texas Cheer and Pom, Bevo XV and fellow Longhorns fans to give the Horns a Texas-sized send-off as they depart for the airport!

The first 1,000 fans in attendance will receive a commemorative Texas Longhorns Allstate Sugar Bowl poster.

The Texas Longhorns Official Team Shop will have two locations open for fans who want to gear up with the latest Allstate Sugar Bowl apparel (Gate 1 and the west Team Shop near Gate 6). 

Parking is FREE beginning at 10:30 a.m. in Trinity Garage on the corner of MLK Blvd and Trinity St. on a first come, first served basis. Fans are asked to line the sidewalks on both sides of San Jacinto St. to cheer on the Horns as they leave at 11:30 a.m. approximately.

https://texassports.com/news/2023/12/22/football-allstate-sugar-bowl-send-off-scheduled-for-december-27.aspx

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

I rewatched the Pac 12 Championship game late last night.  Washington was clearly the better team and were very sound on both sides of the football. Dylan Johnson and the run blocking were solid. Their WRs are excellent. Penix played well outside of a couple of brain farts and one lucky break. Defense did a good job of making plays in front of them. Grubb called a good game and threw in some fun/smart wrinkles.

What I couldn't remember until second viewing was just how shitty Will Stein's offense and Nix looked. I'm pretty sure Nix didn't throw a ball 10 yards past the LOS until their were 2 minutes left in the 1st half down 17-3 (it ended up being a 40 yard catch that eventually led to a TD).  Very little to no misdirection, lots of 4-5 wide. RBs couldn't break a tackle. The Washington secondary was basically untested for the entire game outside of 3-4 throws. Just dumbfounding. Nix wasn't pressured that much, and just seemed very tight the whole time. I was completely unimpressed by his performance. 

Our first play in the Big 12 championship game - a misdirection throw back screen to RB - was more interesting than anything Oregon ran the entire game.  

Edited by Hank Kingsley
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I rewatched the Pac 12 Championship game late last night.  Washington was clearly the better team and were very sound on both sides of the football. Dylan Johnson and the run blocking were solid. Their WRs are excellent. Penix played well outside of a couple of brain farts and one lucky break. Defense did a good job of making plays in front of them. Grubb called a good game and threw in some fun/smart wrinkles.

What I couldn't remember until second viewing was just how shitty Will Stein's offense and Nix looked. I'm pretty sure Nix didn't throw a ball 10 yards past the LOS until their were 2 minutes left in the 1st half down 17-3 (it ended up being a 40 yard catch that eventually led to a TD).  Very little to no misdirection, lots of 4-5 wide. RBs couldn't break a tackle. The Washington secondary was basically untested for the entire game outside of 3-4 throws. Just dumbfounding. Nix wasn't pressured that much, and just seemed very tight the whole time. I was completely unimpressed by his performance. 

Our first play in the Big 12 championship game - a misdirection throw back screen to RB - was more interesting than anything Oregon ran the entire game.  

Coach knows Nix is a fraud as a passer. Can’t hide it when down two scores. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Lots of analysis on this thread, sums to an early realization:  the teams are closely matched.  UW’s nations best passing attack should have a very good outing on our pass D, subject to whatever trouble our front 4 might generate.  Our offense against their D looks good on paper, but their experience level is likely to even out much of that gap.   And our great special teams are pretty well matched up by UW. 

Both teams had several games where they played below their best, and had to learn how to win.  

Having watched the two Oregon games plus USC, I am biased as those were 3 of their very best offensive outings.  As of a month ago, I didn’t think UT was of the same capability as UW, that we just didn’t look as good.  Then we began to look real good.  Tremendous bias on my part in the wake of those games.  

Really hard to pick this game.  But I have to pick UT straight up.  The team has earned some confidence.

2 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

UO did not challenge the LBs at all. They could play their run fits without worrying about getting too far out of position in coverage. The shallow routes didn’t require drops of more than 6-8 yards and they started 3-5 yards off the LOS. 

Bootleg action with 2-3 stacked routes is a concept Sark uses a lot. It both floods one side of the zone and stresses the LBs severely. The misdirection and route combinations are going to force the UW LBs to run sideline to sideline and 20 yards deep. Very different picture than defending Oregon. 

• Hook 'Em 6

On 12/23/2023 at 8:59 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

Rewatch of the Alamo bowl on youtube is brutal. So many missed opportunities, but the defense just couldn’t get off the field. 

Both teams are better this season.  We couldn’t stop the run last season, so hopefully that has changed but their strength is out weakness (secondary)  

True coin flip. Hope the boys want it more. 

We also were without 2 star running backs last year that prevented us from controlling the speed of the game in the second half. I'm hopeful we can mitigate Washington's offense this year by keeping their defense on the field. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/18/2023 at 11:20 PM, Hornius Emeritus said:

I have this YouTube video queued up to one of my favorite plays in Longhorn history. Derrick *#&$&# Johnson.  EDIT: A short time later, DJ made that great interception. I'd forgotten.

I was sitting right behind LHB. Awesome game! We were so thankful for the win because the drive back to Austin after a loss seemed unbearable. 

• Pancho locked this topic
  • Pancho unlocked this topic