2023-2024 Winter Weather

Trey3216

We installed a whole house generator as part of our post-Harvey rebuild. In the 18 months we’ve been in the new house, we have had several outages ranging from 30 minutes to 6 hours.  The generator gives great peace of mind. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Alright, tell me if this is something I should worry about. A few weeks ago, the water main in front of my house started leaking. The city fixed it and everything was fine. When they were done, they just threw a bunch of dirt on it and left. They said someone would come fill it in better later. Well, of course being Austin city government, that hasn't happened yet. It didn't bother me, because I knew it wouldn't get fixed right away, but now I'm worried that our water pipes are too exposed. Should I put some more dirt on this before Sunday? Is there a better option to insulate these pipes? We didn't have any water problems during the last two storms, but now I'm a little worried.

20240112_074212.thumb.jpg.b8caa46474c3429cee5b9d0c766bc4d8.jpg20240112_074204.thumb.jpg.c337e13b218ee9167e749c76aff749c5.jpg

My recommendation is that you go outside and piss on it every hour, on the hour, to keep it above freezing.  First, you need to lay in a good supply of cheap beer . . . 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Alright, tell me if this is something I should worry about. A few weeks ago, the water main in front of my house started leaking. The city fixed it and everything was fine. When they were done, they just threw a bunch of dirt on it and left. They said someone would come fill it in better later. Well, of course being Austin city government, that hasn't happened yet. It didn't bother me, because I knew it wouldn't get fixed right away, but now I'm worried that our water pipes are too exposed. Should I put some more dirt on this before Sunday? Is there a better option to insulate these pipes? We didn't have any water problems during the last two storms, but now I'm a little worried.

20240112_074212.thumb.jpg.b8caa46474c3429cee5b9d0c766bc4d8.jpg20240112_074204.thumb.jpg.c337e13b218ee9167e749c76aff749c5.jpg

GEt some cardboard layers... boxes... flatten then out, lay them on top and weigh them down with bricks.  You can also use a layer of frost cloth underneath that.  Cardboard is a decent insulator.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Generator isn't necessary when you just buy the materials for a sex tent next to the fireplace. 

Low temperature tent

low temperature sleeping bags

firewood

lube

human body heat

Bring on the shitfest

image.png.e5eaf343ea939db725ef5ad9a9eb35ce.png

We usually just put a bag or two of whatever we haven't opened yet - potting soil/mulch/compost - on top of the water main and then take it off after the freeze.

Edited by Grimas
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Grimas said:

We usually just put a bag or two of whatever we haven't opened yet - potting soil/mulch/compost - on top of the water main and then take it off after the freeze.

Yeah, that's a good idea.  I've done that before with a bag of mulch or dirt.

30 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Lowest temps in a decade in the Seattle area today and this weekend.  

haven’t seen nor heard peep from puget sound energy or whatever the generation source is about conserving or low reserves…

At least is isn't snowing, one of my kids moved there in 2021 and the snow storm a couple of years ago mostly locked down the city. Had to wait for it to melt, if I remember that took 2-3 of living through a slushy mess.

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

5C4FC7E6-3A83-4153-880F-C5BFD757A907.jpeg

That really doesn't count, that is just a dusting. Now ice or  the better part of a foot today and a forecast total of 15+ that we are forecast to get through Sunday; along with 20 mph winds gusting to 40+, well that sounds a little chilly, wind chilly that is, to me. 

Right on time. Stock Show Weather! Although my preferred nomenclature is Great Southwest Exposition and Fat Stock Show. The young un's I work with have no idea what I'm talking about when I say "Stock Show Weather", but it is a real thing. After the last 3 years some are starting to pay attention. The old man knows what he knows. Feel bad for the people and animals in the parade Saturday.

https://www.fwssr.com/

17 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

Went to HEB earlier to pick up a few things, and the panic shopping is in full force.

I hit up the grocery store (Tyler) at 8:30 this morning and it was well-stocked and not crowded.  Then, I went to Home Depot for some weather stripping for one of our doors and some new hose bib covers (ours are done for), and the shit show was starting.  I saw one lady with at least twelve of those hose bib covers in one stack trying to keep them balanced in the checkout aisle.  She's either reselling that stuff or is very new money with a shit ton of hose bibs but not rich enough to pay the help to take care of that shit.

Or that's what I told myself since my middle class ass maxed out at 4.

1 hour ago, cactusflinthead said:

Told y'all not to get used to the palm trees. Oh well, going to get paid either way. 

Fucking Cali landscape architects need to spend a winter here before they sell anything.

Someone planted palm trees in DFW?  How fucking stupid are they?

3 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I’ve kinda already resigned myself to schools being closed Tuesday…seems like an annual requirement to have my kids at home for several extra days while I try to work.  

Probably, so order some lego and make a day out of it. If bosses/clients don't understand they are asses. Shit happens, and you get to spend a day with the kids. Not sure how old they are, but damn they grow up fast. I love having days, even just dinner with mine.

• Hook 'Em 2

Long days, short years.  

I’d certainly be more enthusiastic at the prospect if we hadn’t just completed three weeks of no school during the incredibly hectic Thanksgiving thru New Years marathon.  As much as I love my kids (they’re 7/10)…kinda need a few normal weeks here.  

Edited by Homercles
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I’ve kinda already resigned myself to schools being closed Tuesday…seems like an annual requirement to have my kids at home for several extra days while I try to work.  

i hope it’s just Tuesday.

I would be surprised if we hit the weekend before districts like AISD announce it.

they’ll blame it on the forecasted windchill Tuesday morning at the bus stop for little Johnny so they don’t have to wait and see if there is precip. (And/or “we gotta get above freezing to check and make no sure no busted pipes!”)

3 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

i hope it’s just Tuesday.

I would be surprised if we hit the weekend before districts like AISD announce it.

they’ll blame it on the forecasted windchill Tuesday morning at the bus stop for little Johnny so they don’t have to wait and see if there is precip. (And/or “we gotta get above freezing to check and make no sure no busted pipes!”)

I was reading about Edmonton when I posted their -30 degree high today and they never cancel school because of weather. Not because they're that tough but because one-time decades ago they had cancelled school and a parent didn't know and sent their kid who couldn't get into the school and they froze to death so now, no matter how bad it is the schools still operate. Their school buses usually stop operating when the wind chill hits -22F (-30C) though.

2 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

Went to HEB earlier to pick up a few things, and the panic shopping is in full force.

No kidding. We'd done our regular trip but I ran out of one or two produce items I needed and the HEB near our house was crazy.

1 hour ago, hookemATL said:

take 2 edibles at 3:15 and you good.

If you have ear buds or noise-cancelling headphones, wear those. Then you can shop fast and won't be bothered by the shoppers' cries of pain when you hit them with your basket.

8 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

This is the content I come here for. Thought provoking information.

If you can't learn things from the finest documentary of military life, tactics, and heroism of the 1980s, I can't help ya.

BTW, last night I was having a conversation with one of the higher-ranking judges in the State of Texas.  Our conversation turned to 80s movies, and she commented that she recently re-watched Top Gun, and she opined that it was cringey bad.  I told her "damn, judge....I've disagreed with some of your opinions before, but that was just about the law.  This is shit that really matters -- how could you be so wrong?"

• Haha 4

Possible meal options for Freezemageddon III: The Reckoning

- meatballs in tomato sauce served with rice or farro

- pasta 

- chili with cornbread

- Teriki chicken, salad, something else (can't remember what I was thinking)

- kafta kabob with hummus, tabouli, pita, etc.

We're going to make it...

• Hook 'Em 6

18 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Possible meal options for Freezemageddon III: The Reckoning

- meatballs in tomato sauce served with rice or farro

- pasta 

- chili with cornbread

- Teriki chicken, salad, something else (can't remember what I was thinking)

- kafta kabob with hummus, tabouli, pita, etc.

We're going to make it...

We might need a freezemageddon menu thread. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

I’ve got teen age boys if I don’t have a menu at all times that could feed a platoon I’m fucked… and we’ve got a sleep over of 6 on Sunday.  So I did a normal 5-6 day grocery run today. 

Grilled chicken tacos tonight

fish tacos tomorrow night 

salami cheese and crackers for lunches 

breakfast tacos for well breakfast 

I got me a gumbo and Mrs clam chowder for a lunch  next week

ramen Sunday night 

cinnamon rolls for breakfast 

pot of beans Monday for 2-3 meals. 

• Hook 'Em 2

HEB on Braker/183 at 4:15 was, in fact, a shit show, but the shelves were not bare like the photos above. Just a bunch of stupid and annoying people in the way.

Menu for the next few days:

Beef stew

Panang Curry

Chinese Dumpling soup

Pierogie\sausage\cabbage bake

#TeamNoDrip

• Hook 'Em 3

So my wife put in the HEB curbside order last night for me to pick up at my usual 7AM Saturday slot. Those pics above are making me nervous that I'm going to get a text tomorrow at 6:30AM saying "due to u foreseen circumstances we don't have one fucking item in stock for your order. "

• Fuck Around and Find Out 2