2023-2024 Winter Weather

Trey3216

13 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

So my wife put in the HEB curbside order last night for me to pick up at my usual 7AM Saturday slot. Those pics above are making me nervous that I'm going to get a text tomorrow at 6:30AM saying "due to u foreseen circumstances we don't have one fucking item in stock for your order. "

I have a pickup for 8:30 tonight and it says they had everything including extra firelogs which I thought would have been hopeless.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

If you can't learn things from the finest documentary of military life, tactics, and heroism of the 1980s, I can't help ya.

BTW, last night I was having a conversation with one of the higher-ranking judges in the State of Texas.  Our conversation turned to 80s movies, and she commented that she recently re-watched Top Gun, and she opined that it was cringey bad.  I told her "damn, judge....I've disagreed with some of your opinions before, but that was just about the law.  This is shit that really matters -- how could you be so wrong?"

And then she pronounced sentence and you were remanded to custody?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and since we're posting menus.

Grilled chicken and Sausage

Gumbo

Smoked Chuck Roast and Baby Back Ribs

Meatballs and Pork Chops in reserve

and, because, like Troph, I've got teenaged male kids at home, 4 gallons of milk and 72 eggs also on reserve.   Basically, a slightly extended version of the shopping run that ordinarily goes down on Sunday.

If the power goes down, I'm either burning charcoal or using  my only propane device, the Ooni Pizza Oven.  We may see how handles meatballs and various vegetables or make a bunch of focaccia bread.

Edited by dcbc

Fresh black eyed peas with ham, and jalapeño cornbread.

Braised short ribs served over a cauliflower mash.

Homemade tomato soup (San marzano tomatoes FTW) with grilled cheese made fresh sourdough.

Irish stew made with braised lamb shank.

Pasta with sausage and peppers.

Not sure of the order we’ll be having those. But that’s what I’ve got ready to make the next several days. Oh, and I’ve got some solid sammiches planned for lunch. Got some ham, turkey, pastrami, salami, sun dried tomato pesto, olive salad, purple onion….yeah.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Fresh black eyed peas with ham, and jalapeño cornbread.

Braised short ribs served over a cauliflower mash.

Homemade tomato soup (San marzano tomatoes FTW) with grilled cheese made fresh sourdough.

Irish stew made with braised lamb shank.

Pasta with sausage and peppers.

Not sure of the order we’ll be having those. But that’s what I’ve got ready to make the next several days. Oh, and I’ve got some solid sammiches planned for lunch. Got some ham, turkey, pastrami, salami, sun dried tomato pesto, olive salad, purple onion….yeah.

You’re gonna need these.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Orange&White said:

HEB on Braker/183 at 4:15 was, in fact, a shit show, but the shelves were not bare like the photos above. Just a bunch of stupid and annoying people in the way.

Which makes no sense.

because the temps on Monday/Tuesday are still going to be about 5-10 higher than the level they keep the thermostat in that store.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

On my Wunderground forecast for NW Austin, both the window and the percentage chance of precipitation has fallen since last night. 

The bullseye for freezing rain is now over Palestine/Jacksonville/Rusk. South Austin 5-10% chance of accumulation; North Austin 10-20% chance.

image.thumb.png.cc829fd3ece559e5a093d19c0dd0929e.png

https://origin.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/pwpf/wwd_accum_probs.php?ftype=probabilities&fpd=72&ptype=icez

Edited by bolverk
linkage
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Not quite as cold, but seeing that after a brief warmup Wednesday and Thursday, most of the state will get down to well below freezing next weekend as well. 

After that, final full week of the month looking like what I call "pho weather" (temps mostly in the 50's and daily rain chances).

We've got a whole fryer in the crockpot that will be used for tortilla soup tomorrow. 

Tonight is pork stir fry and chocolate brownies for dessert (had to pick up some Samuel Smith's Chocolate Stout for the recipe). 

We've got an assortment of other soups & stews in the freezer ready to reheat as needed.

If you have a backflow preventer installed on your sprinkler system, be sure to cut the water feed, drain the BFP, and cycle the valves. Last part may not be necessary, but I run a quick cycle of 1m at each zone just to cycle after the water is off and with the drain valves open. 

• Hook 'Em 5

27 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

If you have a backflow preventer installed on your sprinkler system, be sure to cut the water feed, drain the BFP, and cycle the valves. Last part may not be necessary, but I run a quick cycle of 1m at each zone just to cycle after the water is off and with the drain valves open. 

Sir, can you please storyboard that, please?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Sir, can you please storyboard that, please?

Depends what kind of BFP. This is what mine basically looks like, without the two PVC drains. Basically just shut off the main feed, open all the test ports (1/4 turn) and turn the valves on the BFP 1/4 turn as well.

• Hook 'Em 2

53 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Depends what kind of BFP. This is what mine basically looks like, without the two PVC drains. Basically just shut off the main feed, open all the test ports (1/4 turn) and turn the valves on the BFP 1/4 turn as well.

A lot of folks have this alternate setup. Video i watched last time below:

• Hook 'Em 2

Those “code compliant” above ground irrigation pressure valves were a weak point in the 2021 super freeze. Those and pool pumps were a profit bonanza for their respective suppliers after that freeze.