Greg Orders Texas National Guard To Seize Park in Eagle Pass, Bars Border Patrol/CBP

atomheartbevo

3 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I disagree with @atomheartbevo that this action by Abbott is wholly performative. It is performative, no argument there, but it is also a very good trial run to test just how state and federal military will react during a coup; a real coup that doesn't just use cos play cult crazies. If you think I'm being too Ledgey, no one except those cult crazies has suffered any punishment whatsoever. All of the GOP congresspersons, senators, planners (Roger Stone, Ali Alexander, Nick Fuentes, Michael Flynn, et al), donors, and such are still more than willing to keep trying.

The leadup to January 6th was filled with stumping by Ted Cruz, Josh Hawley, etc because of the January 5th Georgia Senate run-off between Loeffler and Warnock and the "Stop the Steal" campaign that began in November, 2020 was fully ramped up by then and all over social media, parroted by GOP reps (who then scrubbed their accounts). This drumbeat that Abbott began is going to keep pounding until something happens, and the GOP wants something to happen.

Dangerous times right now.

And this.

The time to crush an insurrection is right when it starts.  The next best time is the moment right after it starts.  

Act now.  Act firmly, with no question.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

It's clearly intentional that the beginning of his declaration essentially quotes South Carolina's declaration of secession.

As Mrs. Whiggins notes, there's obviously a performative aspect to this, but that's not all this is.  You don't get to commit a little treason as a political stunt. And after January 6th, there can be no tolerance for shit like this in the hopes that if you just don't engage with them they'll calm down and go away. They haven't and they won't. 

• Hook 'Em 9

59 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It makes perfect sense if you remember that Greg is trying so desperately to get Trump's attention.

Personally, I think it's time to put that notion to bed. For all his flaws, Abbott isn't dumb enough at this point to think Trump would consider him a viable VP candidate. And, at his age, he likely isn't entertaining the thought that Trump would select him for SCOTUS should a position open up.

That leaves us with two options:

1. Abbott believes this is a good policy and is promoting a State's Rights stance against the federal government. This option is ideologically consistent with longstanding anti-federalism beliefs among Texas conservatives going back to the Antebellum.
  2. Abbott is doing this because he recognizes that his supporters, both voters and financial backers, want this. This option is logically consistent for someone who wants to be re-elected or wants to pad his bank account as he heads into retirement.

Let's just face it. Today, the Republican Party of Texas is now the Retrograde Party of Trump. If you want continued support from its base, you have to behave like a reactionary and rancorous xenophobe.

And you had better stand up to those effeminate pansies in DC because no red-blooded Texan is gonna take orders from those pointy-headed liberals, RINOs, and various other beta cucks.

That's it. Don't just be an asshole; be THE asshole and we'll shower you with praise and money. That's the more straightforward and logical explanation.

Edited by bolverk
Shoulnd't have stepped away after getting started with this reply. Wiggins, Brisket and Wildcat have better replies.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

21 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

So there’s precedent 

10] In October 1957, Eisenhower federalized the Arkansas National Guard and ordered them to return to their armories which effectively removed them from Faubus's control. Eisenhower then sent elements of the 101st Airborne Division to Arkansas to protect the black students and enforce the federal court order. The Arkansas National Guard later took over protection duties from the 101st Airborne Division.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

That's it. Don't just be an asshole; be THE asshole and we'll shower you with praise and money. That's the more straightforward and logical explanation.

I would agree with that, but Greg has plenty of money and has the means to attract plenty more over the years without acting batshit, and nobody outside of Texas is showering him with the kind of praise he is clearly seeking, and this is a very new tack for him. And praise doesn’t mean shit to him at this point in his life - praise and $10 will get him a cup of shitty coffee at Starbucks.

He has hit his ceiling in Texas and he’s pushing 70. Over the last 27 years, he’s held the top three positions in Texas relating to laws and how they are enforced - Texas Supreme Court in the 90s, then Texas Attorney General for over a decade, and then Governor, and prior to a couple of years ago, he never went this batshit.  

You could probably make the case based on the time line that he feels he should have gotten the national attention that DeSantis did, but instead Abbott had the Texas Republican Party head and his supporters literally protesting outside of the Governor’s Mansion about COVID protocols, and MAGA blasting him online over it, and he had prominent Republicans inside and outside of Texas telling everybody that Florida, not a Texas, was the leader in freedumbs.  And on top of that, DeSantis was coming into Texas and drawing larger crowds than Greg, which had to burn his ego.

And lately he’s been flailing around with the legislature not automatically doing what he wanted no matter how many times he threatened to call a special session. He is watching a civil war develop among Republicans in Texas over the Paxton bullshit and some other issues (vouchers), complete with a well-funded effort to defeat Republican incumbents in their primaries, but he’s not going to have a problem staying above that.

Look, he’s not going to have a problem with his next re-election, assuming he can keep Harris County in check, so that’s not a factor.  And as I said, he’s got the money, and the praise doesn’t advance his career.

This is a Hail Mary for him, and the fact that he’s trying to make sure everybody hears about what he’s trying to do, and the fact that he is definitely trying to create conflict and chaos between the Texas National Guard and the feds to get more attention goes beyond him trying to draw money or praise - he’s trying to hurt Biden in an election year, or at the least, make sure Trump is hearing his name.  Trump wouldn’t make him a VP candidate or a potential SCOTUS pick, but I’m sure he’d be happy to get the AG nod or another court seat.

And no, Greg is not serious about illegal immigration.   Call me when he has the state start raiding day labor sites, large construction projects, large agricultural operations during harvest times, lawn care companies, home builders, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

There is a reason E-Verify is only mandatory for state agencies, colleges, strippers and state contractors in Texas.

Florida is finding out all this right now with their E-Verify rules on private business with over 25 employees.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Over the last 27 years, he’s held the top three positions in Texas relating to laws and how they are enforced - Texas Supreme Court in the 90s, then Texas Attorney General for over a decade, and then Governor

I don't think that should be allowed

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, safe sex said:

I don't think that should be allowed

In a sane world, the voters would not have allowed it.

But most Republicans in Texas probably don’t realize how long he’s been either the top law enforcement official or Governor.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

So it’s an invasion but he’s bussing them to different cities? So Abbott is helping the invaders by transporting them around the country?

Good point. That sure sounds like he's giving aide and comfort to the enemy to me.

Abbott has enjoyed fucking around for far too long. He needs to find out. 

• Like 5
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

So it’s an invasion but he’s bussing them to different cities? So Abbott is helping the invaders by transporting them around the country?

That’s why this is not about illegal immigrants - Greg wants the attention.  He thought bussing them around would get him more positive buzz.   It didn’t. All eyes were still on Trump and DeSantis.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

The state of Illinois should sue Texas. A suit which must be brought in the US Supreme Court. The claim should be one asking the Court to enjoin the Governor of Texas from levying war against a sister state. Because, you see, if this IS an “invasion” (per the Constitutional definition), then transporting “invaders” to another sovereign state is questionably an act of war. Force the SCOTUS to either 1) tell Illinois to go pound sand because this is not an “invasion” (thus telling Abbott he’s full of shit), or 2), it IS an invasion, and Abbott is acting illegally in waging war against other states by transporting hostile forces to them without their consent.

I literally tried to send this to the Illinois AG and their website link goes nowhere and is apparently administered by a bunch of morons. Not that surprising. 

https://agforms.ilag.gov/Forms/agcontactus

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Even TPPF said illegal immigration does not meet the constitutional definition of invasion. And those people aren’t lefties 

but the conservative twitterverse (and probably texags and secrant) are convinced that migration = invasion.  and what do some dorks at a think tank know? 

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

I literally tried to send this to the Illinois AG and their website link goes nowhere and is apparently administered by a bunch of morons. Not that surprising. 

https://agforms.ilag.gov/Forms/agcontactus

Aren’t the groups he’s been bussing “legal” migrants that have been processed and are awaiting asylum hearings?  Thought that got cleared up about Martha’s Vineyard time. Believe he’s only calling the migrants illegally crossing as part of the “invasion”.  Pretty clear distinction. Sorry counselor, but it sounds like the wheeled counselor might have figured that one out.  

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Aren’t the groups he’s been bussing “legal” migrants that have been processed and are awaiting asylum hearings?  Thought that got cleared up about Martha’s Vineyard time. Believe he’s only calling the migrants illegally crossing as part of the “invasion”.  Pretty clear distinction. Sorry counselor, but it sounds like the wheeled counselor might have figured that one out.  

you didn't get the talking points, they're all "claiming" asylum now

It's bleeding over into real life. I had a customer that was furious the other day that they had to pick between English and Spanish at the ATM. Also, "Why would we want to alienate a growing market?" was not a sufficient answer apparently. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

There’s a lot to unpack here but “Biden has turned every state into a border state” is one of the most insane, nonsensical statements I’ve ever read.

They didn’t know the border existed before Biden.  Sure, they heard Trump was going to build a wall to keep brown people out, but they didn’t really care.

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

There’s a lot to unpack here but “Biden has turned every state into a border state” is one of the most insane, nonsensical statements I’ve ever read.

There's also 3 other states that border Mexico

16 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Biden should force the issue.  Order Federal Forces to enter areas illegally "controlled" by the TSG and DPS to the exclusion of federal forces.  Enter, and dare them to shoot.  One of two things happens: the Texas forces smartly back the fuck down, showing Abbott to be the gutless pussy that he always has been, OR, the Texas forces shoot at federal forces, which will 100% be an act of insurrection and will give the federal government all the reason it needs to crack the fuck down on the TSG, DPS, and Abbott.  Yes, involving troops.

FA.

FO.

Or is that what they want him to do? Invoke the Insurrection Act so it will give a future GQP president the cover he needs to invoke it in order to overturn a lost election?

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Just more proof that the most vocal Christians don’t actually believe in anything, they just use it as an excuse to be hateful assholes.

Most "Christians" have no desire to live Christ-like lives and don't even try outside of going to church to be seen by the other hypocrites.  They think that calling themselves Christians and being seen as such is going to get them the golden ticket to heaven.  That's it.  The only fucking bible verse most are even familiar w/ is John 3:16. 

They are true deplorables. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Just more proof that the most vocal Christians don’t actually believe in anything, they just use it as an excuse to be hateful assholes.

That's because they don't listen to the teaching of OG Jesus, but Republican Jesus. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Or is that what they want him to do? Invoke the Insurrection Act so it will give a future GQP president the cover he needs to invoke it in order to overturn a lost election?

Biden could also (1) direct federal agencies to suspend services to Texas, (2) freeze the state's accounts at national banks, and (3) pardon and release all detainees from federal prisons located in Texas.

Just now, chainsaw said:

Biden could also (1) direct federal agencies to suspend services to Texas, (2) freeze the state's accounts at national banks, and (3) pardon and release all detainees from federal prisons located in Texas.

(1) is fun to talk about but he’d never do that because it would hurt actual people, including those who don’t support Abbott’s hateful policies. (3) is comically extreme. (2) doesn’t seem realistic. I’m not sure what effect it would have and don’t have time to think about it right now. It strikes me as unrealistic but I don’t know enough to seriously comment on how practical or feasible that might be. 

4 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

(1) is fun to talk about but he’d never do that because it would hurt actual people, including those who don’t support Abbott’s hateful policies. (3) is comically extreme. (2) doesn’t seem realistic. I’m not sure what effect it would have and don’t have time to think about it right now. It strikes me as unrealistic but I don’t know enough to seriously comment on how practical or feasible that might be. 

The key for (1) and (3) is to show him AD highlights from high school and tell him that means Texans are Palestinian, then he won't give a shit about them.

For (2) you'll be surprised how quickly a bad actor gets his act together once their money becomes inaccessible. Basically, tell the banks they are required to treat Texas the way they're currently treating Russia (another hostile occupying force).

Edited by chainsaw