2024 Oscar Nominees

BigDHornfan

Barbie is the only nominated movie I've seen.  I liked it, but at no point during it did I think I was watching anything Oscar worthy.  It was a fun movie.  Not sure how often the highest grossing movies generate directing/acting nominations?  I don't remember many Marvel movies getting anything other than special effects, and they certainly shouldn't have if they did.

• Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/23/entertainment/ryan-gosling-oscar-nomination-barbie/index.html

Gosling's statement makes it sound like he believes Barbie should have been nominated for a Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar.

Oh, look!  It was!

🙄

well there was some drama about whether it would qualify for original screenplay (which it should've been) or adapted, since there's no source material.  seems odd that barbie is adapted and may december is original, since i think it was based on a specific story, with plenty of source material (but no ip).

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Not sure how often the highest grossing movies generate directing/acting nominations?  I don't remember many Marvel movies getting anything other than special effects, and they certainly shouldn't have if they did.

Top Gun: Maverick was nominated for Best Picture last year

• Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, nolongerU2horn said:

Top Gun: Maverick was nominated for Best Picture last year

Yeah I meant the individual awards that don't have an expanded nomination list like best picture.  Barbie was nominated for best picture, but not best actress or director, and the argument that they should based on box office success seems flimsy as most blockbusters don't cleanup at the awards.

• Hook 'Em 1

I guess I’m ok with Gerwig not being nominated, because that category is stacked. Personally I would swap her in for Yorgos (another film that struggles with being a bit too one note in an otherwise masterfully created world). Robbie not being nominated over Annette Bening is fucking insane. 

35 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

well there was some drama about whether it would qualify for original screenplay (which it should've been) or adapted, since there's no source material.  seems odd that barbie is adapted and may december is original, since i think it was based on a specific story, with plenty of source material (but no ip).

Yeah, I've always thought the rules were a little weird there, but whatever. Wasn't really my point.

18 hours ago, safe sex said:

Ridley Scott hasn't made a great movie since Kingdom of Heaven and hasn't made a good movie since The Martian

He deserves a Special Oscar, at least, for all the incredible movies he has made in his lifetime. The man is a giant in movie making. I still think he should have won for Gladiator. That was a year full of terrific movies: Gladiator, Traffic, Almost Famous, Wonder Boys and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. All great movies. 

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Barbie is the only nominated movie I've seen.  I liked it, but at no point during it did I think I was watching anything Oscar worthy.  It was a fun movie.  Not sure how often the highest grossing movies generate directing/acting nominations?  I don't remember many Marvel movies getting anything other than special effects, and they certainly shouldn't have if they did.

Hell, Gerwig SHOULD get nominated for making a movie about Barbie remotely interesting and entertaining. That was a hell of a trick.

Edited by C-Man
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Drool 1

I think the Greta Gerwig snub for directing is interesting because she pulled off a bit of a Hollywood throwback movie. Yes, Barbie had digital effects but the sets, the props, practical effects, the Ken musical dream sequence all seemed like something the Academy would go nuts over. But she's been nominated before for Ladybird.  Margot, while great in Barbie, has been nominated before. The one I'm more annoyed at being snubbed was Greta Lee. She had impressive acting in 2 different languages. It's strange to nominate a movie for Best Picture but none of the actors for their categories. Just go back to 5 Best Picture nominees. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Hell, Gerwig SHOULD get nominated for making a movie about Barbie remotely interesting and entertaining. That was a hell of a trick.

Ever since they opened up the nominees to include as many as 10 for Best Picture there's been stuff that would've never gotten it before.

Yep and I think the reasoning for the expanded nominations was to get more films in that were commercially successful to improve ratings.  It certainly wasn't because The Academy thought there were so many great pictures being made.

11 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I enjoyed Barbie but at no point did I think "Margot Robbie deserves an Oscar for this performance." 

Probably not, but it may have been the best movie I saw last year (off the top of my head).  

23 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Yeah I meant the individual awards that don't have an expanded nomination list like best picture.  Barbie was nominated for best picture, but not best actress or director, and the argument that they should based on box office success seems flimsy as most blockbusters don't cleanup at the awards.

oh yeah I'm dumb

7 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

He deserves a Special Oscar, at least, for all the incredible movies he has made in his lifetime. The man is a giant in movie making. I still think he should have won for Gladiator. That was a year full of terrific movies: Gladiator, Traffic, Almost Famous, Wonder Boys and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. All great movies. 

I would be fine with him getting a lifetime Oscar. A once great filmmaker was still a once great filmmaker, and he's got a long list of great movies. Just nothing recently. 

19 hours ago, safe sex said:

If you haven't, you really need to watch The Zone of Interest

I haven't heard of it.  I checked out the premise of the story and the setting was very familiar.  Turns out I was thinking of another movie I watched - The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

I enjoyed Barbie but at no point did I think "Margot Robbie deserves an Oscar for this performance." 

agreed...but i did have that thought re: Gosling. i came away feeling he absolutely stole the movie, but not intended as a slight to Robbie.  can't imagine another actor nailing that role so well. i don't really get the America Ferrara nod either...was that role really that impactful?? i mean not really, and any number of generic actresses could have been cast there. *shrug*

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

yeah... this is a pretty good point. i remember when word of the movie first came out and thinking 'um, okay' and assuming i would have zero interest in it... and then seeing the names associated with it and being all 'huh, well that's interesting!' Gerwig managed to produce something really funny and thought provoking, not to mention the cultural zeitgeist. BUT... she's nominated for that effort in the screenplay category, so there's that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Funny, I tend to agree about Gangs of New York but see KOTFM completely differently. Generally thought the cast and performances were great (aside from whatever Brendon Fraser was doing) and the pacing wasn’t a problem. I felt the 3.5 hrs, but not in a bad way if that makes sense. 
More so, I really push back that it was a poorly directed movie when there are a few sequences that were so well done and memorable that only a handful of people could have pulled them off. Specifically the ending, which was incredible. I don’t know if anyone else alive could have made it work. 

1920’s lawyers acted that way and did so effectively.
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, mchookem said:

agreed...but i did have that thought re: Gosling. i came away feeling he absolutely stole the movie, but not intended as a slight to Robbie.  can't imagine another actor nailing that role so well. i don't really get the America Ferrara nod either...was that role really that impactful?? i mean not really, and any number of generic actresses could have been cast there. *shrug*

It was entirely because of this monologue, which is probably more about what was said rather than how she delivered it. She might win the award if enough voters rally around the movie just to prove a point. 

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I will defend Fraser to the death, it was clear that his character was doing a character and he killed it. 

It was clear that he was doing what Marty asked of him, which was a directorial mistake. KOTFM was my favorite movie of the year and a modern master piece, but the Fraser stuff is just tonally off and disjointing. 

I was at the NBR awards the other night, and Marty started talking about the scene where the Osage gather in a circle to talk about the ongoing travesty. He said they needed some audience reaction shots, so he asked one of the loquacious Osage actors to rile the folks up. The resulting off the cuff monologue was so great Marty decided to leave it in, and, in my opinion, is one of the best scenes of the movie.

What a picture

• Hook 'Em 2

It was clear that he was doing what Marty asked of him, which was a directorial mistake. KOTFM was my favorite movie of the year and a modern master piece, but the Fraser stuff is just tonally off and disjointing. 
I was at the NBR awards the other night, and Marty started talking about the scene where the Osage gather in a circle to talk about the ongoing travesty. He said they needed some audience reaction shots, so he asked one of the loquacious Osage actors to rile the folks up. The resulting off the cuff monologue was so great Marty decided to leave it in, and, in my opinion, is one of the best scenes of the movie.
What a picture

The court room scene was a farce and demonstrated a miscarriage of justice was occurring. Therefore it was on point and (probably) historically accurate.

I dont doubt the Freemason’s spanking scene was also based on real stuff but that was weird too. The whole movie is filled with weird, evil and unbelievable shit that actually happened.

Regarding 1920’s lawyering, I read a book about the infamous lawyer turned Gatsbying bootlegger - George Remus - who got away with murder. He did theatrics similar to what Fraser was doing. The book covered this part in great detail. Dude was crying and yelling - I think in his own defense. Jury ate it up back then because they were rubes. Now juries eat up DNA evidence and crying blondes.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

What a picture

Fraser was playing a 1920s lawyer who was there to rile up the rubes and browbeat someone who wasn’t smart. He wasn’t there to be subdued and subtle.

There’s a moment in the courtroom scene right Fraser’s outburst where his expression just changes, he’s cool as ice and the whole place is erupting.   He played it perfectly— the lawyer is playing a a scenery-chewing character. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Fraser was playing a 1920s lawyer who was there to rile up the rubes and browbeat someone who wasn’t smart. He wasn’t there to be subdued and subtle.

There’s a moment in the courtroom scene right Fraser’s outburst where his expression just changes, he’s cool as ice and the whole place is erupting.   He played it perfectly— the lawyer is playing a a scenery-chewing character. 

He was worse outside of the courtroom in the grand meeting scene. He and Leo were in different movies.

for any of the industry people who are complaining that Gerwig didn't get the Best Director or Robbie the Best Actress nominations, I dare them to name who they believe should come off the nomination list. They don't seem to be doing that publicly.  It's also tougher for a comedy to be nominated for the Best Director/Film/Actor and Actress. They seem more open to giving comedies the supporting roles.

And Gerwig also carries some baggage in that her husband, and Barbie co-writer, is considered by many to be a POS. The story is he left Jennifer Jason Leigh when she was pregnant to hook up with Gerwig. He claims that was not the case and Gerwig was not the not the reason for the breakup. From what I read, few believe them. Perhaps this came into play when the directors put in their nominations. 

Marriage Story, which he wrote and directed, was nominated for Best Picture and Best Original Screenplay in 2019. So I doubt him and Gerwig being together came into play on her snub. Poor Things is a comedy according to the Golden Globe that it won. Granted, it's a dark comedy and has dramatic elements in it. It's nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, and Emma Stone for Best Actress. And all of those should happen as it was a fantastically acted and directed movie. 

• Hook 'Em 1

He was worse outside of the courtroom in the grand meeting scene. He and Leo were in different movies.

Digging in on your opinion? I’ll have to watch it again.

One of things that made KOTFM notable is the depiction of the banality and grotesque nature of evil. Having Leo and DeNiro be the two lead villains would not have been my choice because they seem cool and are legends on and off the screen.

But they both did well. I usually appreciate Leo’s performances after time and rewatches. Think they needed to be in it for box office.

Agree with all about Barbie. The nod for screenplay was deserved but director?! No way. And that movie was a lot of fun almost entirely because of Gosling.

And Bening for Nyad? Uh, no. That film and her performance were lame. The movie equivalent of “this could have been an email.”

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

And Bening for Nyad? Uh, no. That film and her performance were lame. The movie equivalent of “this could have been an email.”

Damn. That's the perfect description. We saw it on a whim on a weekend afternoon with nothing better to do. It was fine. Got to sit in a dark theater with a couple of cocktails. Walked out and pretty much forgot about it. Was shocked when it started getting awards nominations. It wasn't awful, but it felt like I could have watched a short video on YouTube and gotten the gist of it.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, royiv said:

Damn. That's the perfect description. We saw it on a whim on a weekend afternoon with nothing better to do. It was fine. Got to sit in a dark theater with a couple of cocktails. Walked out and pretty much forgot about it. Was shocked when it started getting awards nominations. It wasn't awful, but it felt like I could have watched a short video on YouTube and gotten the gist of it.

I would be shocked if Bening won. She's been nominated five times and hasn't yet won but that doesn't mean she should've been picked over Greta Lee. I guess the Academy differs in their opinion.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Scorsese coaxing that performance out of late-stage direct to streaming comedy DeNiro is why he deserves the nod. For real. 

yeah DeNiro was incredible in KOTFM.  i didn't think he still had it in him.

Obviously I’m a full-blown, Republic of Austin, hippie woman who’s a staunch feminist, but…I don’t think it’s that crazy that Margot and Greta didn’t get nominated, while Ryan did. They were all great, but while I loved the movie, it’s a stacked field and he was the standout character, IMO. If Greta was going to win for anything, it should’ve been Little Woman, and Margot for I, Tonya. I think they’ll both get their due one day.

I said what I said.

• Hook 'Em 4

Anyone else seen American Fiction?  Jeffrey wright was fantastic, and the whole movie was very entertaining. I laughed out loud several times. 

Purely based on how much I enjoyed the watch I would give it the nod over the other nominees I’ve seen (Oppenheimer, Barbie, KOTFM, Maestro)

The Academy put themselves in a bad position. They had to nominate Barbie to stay in the zeitgeist, but they didn’t expect the Gerwig and Robbie blowback. They should have anticipated this reaction.

I would have been fine with Gerwig receiving a nomination. She took a very difficult concept to adapt on film and made a functional movie. Robbie didn’t deserve a nomination. I love her, but she played Barbie way too straight while Gosling went for it and was rewarded. 

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Academy put themselves in a bad position. They had to nominate Barbie to stay in the zeitgeist, but they didn’t expect the Gerwig and Robbie blowback. They should have anticipated this reaction.

I would have been fine with Gerwig receiving a nomination. She took a very difficult concept to adapt on film and made a functional movie. Robbie didn’t deserve a nomination. I love her, but she played Barbie way too straight while Gosling went for it and was rewarded. 

I kind of think for the movie to work within the grander vision Robbie had to play Barbie pretty straight.  The character + performance didn't really lend itself to being Oscar nom worthy.   She's a hot 33 year old with strong to quite strong acting chops....she's gonna get other opportunities.