Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

https://www.theverge.com/2022/11/4/23439790/elon-musk-twitter-layoffs-trust-and-safety-teams-severance

Elon Musk has now purged roughly half of Twitter’s 7,500 employee base, leaving whole teams totally or near-completely gutted, including those tasked with defending against election misinformation ahead of the US midterms next week, The Verge has learned.

The areas of Twitter impacted the most by Musk’s cuts include its product trust and safety, policy, communications, tweet curation, ethical AI, data science, research, machine learning, social good, accessibility, and even certain core engineering teams, according to tweets by laid off employees and people familiar with the matter. More company leaders, including Arnaud Weber, VP of consumer product engineering, and Tony Haile, a senior director of product overseeing Twitter’s work with news publishers, have also been laid off following Musk’s firings of Twitter’s senior leadership last week.

Given the sweeping nature of Musk’s layoffs and his mandate to cut costs in areas like cloud hosting, employees who remain at Twitter told The Verge that they expect the company to have a hard time maintaining critical infrastructure in the short term. “Shit is gonna start breaking,” said one current employee who requested anonymity to speak without the company’s permission, while another called management’s layoff process “an absolute shit show.”

Musk’s cuts began Thursday evening, shortly after an unsigned memo was sent internally confirming the company would “go through the difficult process of reducing our global workforce.” Impacted employees quickly realized they were locked out of their work accounts well before they were notified of their job status by another unsigned email titled “Your Role at Twitter.”

According to emails sent to laid off employees and an internal FAQ obtained by The Verge, those effected will continue to be paid and receive benefits until dates that appear to match the length of the mass layoff notice required by US federal and state law. If they sign a “Release of All Claims” document and separation agreement, all US employees will then receive one month of base pay as severance that is taxed at the higher supplemental income rate.

Meanwhile, employees in other countries have been notified that their roles have been “identified as potentially impacted or at risk of redundancy,” and that they should continue to abide by company policies until more information is shared. The employee FAQ says that “roughly 50% of the workforce will be impacted” by the layoffs, confirming discussion that was accidentally made visible inside Twitter’s Slack two days ago.

Spoiler

Employees who weren’t laid off on Friday received a separate email to their work addresses saying that the company’s internal directory, Birdhouse, and office badge access would be shut off until Monday, November 7th. Before Birdhouse was shut off, Musk had nearly 90 direct reports listed, according to screenshots seen by The Verge.

“He is looking forward to communicating with everyone about his vision for the company soon.”

“Throughout the last week, Elon has spent time with a number of employees, customers, partners, policymakers and Twitter users,” the unsigned email to remaining employees reads, according to a copy you can read in full at the bottom of this story. “He is looking forward to communicating with everyone about his vision for the company soon.”

According to Musk’s merger agreement with Twitter and an internal employee FAQ from October seen by The Verge, he agreed to pay terminated employees with severance that would at least match what Twitter offered prior to the deal closing. The FAQ says that Twitter’s severance package before Musk’s acquisition was two months of base salary, or “on target earnings” for sales employees on incentive plans, along with an employee’s performance bonus paid “at target,” a cash contribution for health care, and the cash value of equity that “would have vested within three months from the separation date.”

Some Twitter employees have already filed a lawsuit against the company claiming that the company violated the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act (WARN) and California’s WARN Act, which requires that companies give at least 60 days of notice before a mass firing. Others told The Verge they are consulting their lawyers about the discrepancy between Musk's one-month of severance and what he agreed to pay before the merger.

Twitter didn’t have a comment for this story by press time. The company’s communications department is almost entirely gone as of Friday.

Here’s the full email Twitter employees who survived the layoffs received on Friday:

Hello -

Thank you for your patience through this transition and for your commitment to the important work you do at Twitter. We are sending this email to confirm that your employment is not impacted by today’s workforce reduction.

Throughout the last week, Elon has spent time with a number of employees, customers, partners, policymakers and Twitter users. He is looking forward to communicating with everyone about his vision for the company soon.

We know you likely have a number of questions and we will have more information to share next week. In the meantime, please note that until Monday, Birdhouse is temporarily offline, our office buildings are temporarily closed and all badge access is temporarily suspended. Offices will reopen on Monday, Nov. 7th.

Thank you for continuing to demonstrate respect for impacted colleagues as we navigate these changes. As a reminder, we expect you to continue to comply with company policy by refraining from discussing confidential company information on social media, with the press or elsewhere.

We look forward to working with you on Twitter’s exciting future.

Twitter

• Haha 1

I think it's just a matter of time before twitter is nearly equal to the irrelevance of the various extreme-right twitter spinoffs, whatever their names are.

I read how besides selling blue check marks, Elo's other big idea was to pivot to video and become some sort of youtube competitor. The crash and burn on that idea could be fascinating. I gather the subscriber video idea is what they're running with to try to add some extra value to the blue check mark subscribers but :eyeroll:

My twitter strategy is that I read bookmarked feeds of 3 trusted news commentators/journalists. I don't have a twitter account, so I'm unable to @ anyone, which...whatever.  But I also never see an ad on twitter or deal with trolls or other unsavory types. The most valuable current resource i use it for is Josh Marshall's Ukraine War journalist/commentator list ... if I see significant degradation in those few resources (and I'm expecting it to happen pretty quickly over the next few months as certain users drop out and reliability of information erodes) I'll have time to go on longer walks with the dog, I suppose. 

• Like 1

The one thing to remember about Elon is that he overpaid 24B for Twitter. Without Elons offer, twtr would have been worth 20B on oct 28th but elon paid 44.  Now some of this wasn’t all elons fault but rather bad timing but it doesn’t change the fact that 24B of investor money was immediately destroyed last week.

maybe Elon and Co. will turn Twitter around and he sells it or goes public for 100B but the result will never change the he paid double the price. It will also put a 24B hole in his (& his investors) pockets  

he just drove Twitter off the lot and the car value dropped in half.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

It wasn’t perfect, but moderation and earned bannings kept it somewhat reliable over the alternatives.  

And rumors are a lot of the content moderation team is gone, and he laid off a bunch of marketing people, AND he laid off a bunch of the communications/PR folks who worked with news organizations and corporations to curate news and current events (that helped bring users back every day and made it a news platform).

if true, he’s going to have a platform for batshittery conspiracies and misinformation that drives most decent advertisers away AND he got rid of the people who work with advertisers (guess you don’t need that if you drive the advertisers away).

leonardo dicaprio bravo GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

I was told he was a business genius guru.

How many ceos do you know that have such an open schedule they can run a second or third company?

no, no not A second OR third company. he is CEO of all three companies. one of which has turned over a huge % of it's senior leadership.

image.thumb.png.ebf46efed24a1e0c6b17f039ebf0cc98.png

still waiting to hear how he can float that top talent (50 engineers+ including director of Autopilot and TeslaBot engineering Milan Kovac, director of software development Ashok Elluswamy, and engineering, product and design leader Maha Virudhagiri) from publicly traded Tesla to a privately held company. only way this is "ok" is if TWTR is compensating TSLA for it and that would be a rather high $$$ amount that seems unnecessary and would have been reported on by now i would think

3 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

One other thought, RE: another line from Elon's talk today:

"We've done our best to appease the advertisers and nothing has worked."

You've owned the company for what, a week? 

In that time, he's basically done the following, unless I've missed something:

1. Tweet then delete a conspiracy theory about Paul Pelosi

2. Haggle with Stephen King.

3. Repost maybe a dozen or so shit-tier Reddit memes.

simpsons-weve-tried-nothing.gif

Changed the price of the blue check from free, to $20 a month, to $8 a month.

Walk back that he’d unban a bunch of people until a “process” was in place, yet laid off the people who would handle that process.

Cutting back on servers, capacity, bandwidth and cloud usage to save money for a global platform like Twitter.  What could possibly go wrong:

https://www.reuters.com/technology/musk-orders-twitter-cut-infrastructure-costs-by-1-bln-sources-2022-11-03/

Elon Musk has directed Twitter Inc's teams to find up to $1 billion in annual infrastructure cost savings, according to two sources familiar with the matter and an internal Slack message reviewed by Reuters, raising concerns that Twitter could go down during high-traffic events like the U.S. midterm elections.

The company is aiming to find between $1.5 million and $3 million a day in savings from servers and cloud services, said the Slack message, which referred to the project as "Deep Cuts Plan."

Twitter is currently losing about $3 million a day "with all spending and revenue considered," according to an internal document reviewed by Reuters.

Twitter did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The steep infrastructure cuts could put the Twitter website and app at risk of going down during critical events when users are rushing to Twitter to consume and share information, such as during moments of crisis or major political events, the sources said.

The social media platform is exploring whether to cut extra server space that is kept to ensure Twitter can handle high traffic, one source said.

"(Musk) is willing to introduce that risk to meet these goals," the person said.

The second source described the proposed cuts as "delusional," adding that when user traffic kicks up, the service can fail "in spectacular ways."

Teams across Twitter are racing to present a plan to achieve the cost savings by a Nov. 7 deadline, according to one of the sources and the Slack message. Some employees have been ordered to work in the office every day of the week to meet the deadline, the source said.

Cost cuts could also come from reduced spending on Google Cloud services, the source said.

A spokesperson for Google Cloud to declined to comment.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

https://www.vice.com/en/article/m7gkw8/twitter-recommends-ye-as-top-follow-on-the-jews-as-company-does-mass-layoffs

“The Jews” is trending on Twitter, and its algorithm has selected Ye as a “Top” person to follow while Elon Musk fires roughly half of the company’s staff, including many of its policy experts and content moderators. 

Ye, formerly known as Kanye West, recently had his Twitter access limited after saying he would go “death con 3” on “JEWISH PEOPLE,” and has been dropped by the vast majority of his business partners after repeatedly making blatantly antisemitic comments over the last few weeks. The freeze on Ye's account has since been lifted.

"#IStandWithKyrie" is also trending, a reference to Brooklyn Nets star Kyrie Irving, who recently recommended that people watch an antisemitic documentary and was suspended for five games after declining to apologize and evasively answering a question on whether he holds "anti-semitic beliefs."

Twitter's content moderation has always been something of a disaster, and harmful things end up trending all the time. Twitter's content moderation has always relied more heavily on algorithms than competitors like Facebook do. In any case, Musk has promised to protect the values of "freedom of speech"—with the company now running with thousands fewer employees after mass layoffs. This may well be a window into what that looks like. 

In an email sent Thursday to all Twitter staff, the company said it would be notifying all employees about whether they would be laid off by 9 a.m. PST on Friday via email. All employees are receiving an email with the subject line “Your Role at Twitter.” If they are keeping their job, the email will go to their @twitter.com email address; if they’re being laid off, it will go to their personal email address. 

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Things not going well, chapter 847. Lou Paskalis is the CEO of MMA, a leading trade advertising association, and he put together the call for Elo to chat with major advertisers.

I did a double take…thought he had ‘shopped in the ‘deal with it’ sunglasses, which would be epic

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The one thing to remember about Elon is that he overpaid 24B for Twitter. Without Elons offer, twtr would have been worth 20B on oct 28th but elon paid 44.  Now some of this wasn’t all elons fault but rather bad timing but it doesn’t change the fact that 24B of investor money was immediately destroyed last week.

maybe Elon and Co. will turn Twitter around and he sells it or goes public for 100B but the result will never change the he paid double the price. It will also put a 24B hole in his (& his investors) pockets  

he just drove Twitter off the lot and the car value dropped in half.

Some folks might say that his ego messed around and found out. Gritty has gotten another victim.

2 hours ago, Homercles said:

Clearly.  But a lot of people who get to that level have a drive to succeed and associated ego that makes 99.999% of other people blush.  Succeed at all other costs (hi Tom Brady).  

It’s the last step that worries me.  We don’t need more avenues, especially a huge one that’s got global reach and install base, for people to sow division, hate and lies.  Sure it may crash and burn under the weight of trolls, conspiracy purveyors, bent politicians and dick pill ads…but it could also maintain just enough veiled legitimacy to soldier on as a means to spread more lies that inspire crazies to Jan 6, Pelosi, Pizzagate, litter boxes in schools, CRT, etc.  

It wasn’t perfect, but moderation and earned bannings kept it somewhat reliable over the alternatives.  

I really don't think that's a serious concern any more. Everyone can see what Twitter is turning into.

Those of you more in the know: does Facebook/Instagram not have large companies advertising on their platform due to all the bullshit on it?  My knowledge of this entire topic largely stems from reading this thread (so shaky at best), but lots of folks are talking about legit advertisers dropping off of Twitter due to concerns over content. Do these companies already not advertise on Facebook?  That hellhole doesn't moderate anything last time I looked.  

2 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Those of you more in the know: does Facebook/Instagram not have large companies advertising on their platform due to all the bullshit on it?  My knowledge of this entire topic largely stems from reading this thread (so shaky at best), but lots of folks are talking about legit advertisers dropping off of Twitter due to concerns over content. Do these companies already not advertise on Facebook?  That hellhole doesn't moderate anything last time I looked.  

My unscientific anecdote is what I see on Facebook/Instagram is real odd fringe ads unless I had recently been to ASICS to look at shoes or something 

9 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

It's piss.

Always has been.

I have never used it because I just do not find any part of how Twitter is set up to be interesting. It has been useful in certain instances like the war in Ukraine, but stuff like that does not seem to be the norm for the platform. It would really be something if he runs it straight into the ground.

18 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

For reference: Facebook removed a total of 866 million posts, during the first quarter of 2018.  From Feb. 2020 though August 2021, they removed over 20 million posts that had COVID misinformation. You can also break it down with violent and graphic content - here in the first quarter of 2022, they removed over 25 million posts.  The violent and graphic content fluctuates depending on what is happening in the world, and some is allowed, some isn’t, depends on context (some is flagged based on age and with a label of graphic content, some is removed).

Yes, they have large advertisers, but a lot of the advertising is driven by content you choose to look at, so everybody sees different ads.  When I’ve advertised on there in the past, my ads were only seen by the people actively looking at the topics or FB groups I was selecting (similar to Google AdSense when you search on Google).  If you follow some plastic scale modeling groups, you’ll see ads for hobby shops or books or magazines.  If you’re a vegan and look at some vegan groups, congrats, you’ll be bombarded with ads for vegan foods.

As for content, FB, etc. are constantly removing content (they even have a team of content moderators who deal with people live-streaming their suicides), and a lot of it comes down to if the content is harming somebody.

If you want to talk about your JFK conspiracies and Woody Harrelson’s dad being on the grassy knoll, or behind the fence and being one of the “tramps” that were arrested and released, you’re free to do so, because you’re seen as harmless.

If you claim that Tom Hanks is trafficking in young children to drink their adrenaline glands or whatever, or that COVID is not real and it’s just a regular cold, or that drinking bleach cures it, expect to see your content removed.  They do try to keep the truly batshit stuff off -  my Qanon sis-in-law has had plenty removed under different accounts (and I’ve seen it and reported it and it was removed), and she’ll let anybody know who is within earshot about how her Constitutional freedoms of speech are being trampled as a result, even though it’s a private company and not the US government. 

45 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

it sure as shit moderates instagram and keeps deleting alejandra guilmant's hot ass self-posted nude photos and videos off and it's pissing me off.  not that this adds anything constructive to this thread acting as an observation deck to a real-time train wreck.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

6 hours ago, Woodrow Call said:

I've been in the tech sector for 37 years. This is the worst situation I've ever seen in terms of how to handle employee separation. 

Over twenty years in the industry myself and yeah I've never seen this kind of fuckery.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, sasquatch69 said:

This feels like Musk, basically forced into the deal, is trying to (clumsily) execute a McKinsey-type strategic plan or hedge fund-style flip.  Massively cut budget via extreme layoffs, develop new revenue streams to inflate value (like the check mark idiocy), make himself look good and then ultimately sell it at a profit.  So far, it's not going so well.

Yeah but the list of people with 44 + B who are dumb enough to do that deal is very short. I’m fact he may be the only person on it

On 11/1/2022 at 1:59 PM, 'stache said:

It's already happened, dumbass, and its going to get worse. You fucking know it, stop being a contrarian troll. I know it makes you feel smart to take the opposite side of things, but interjecting "well, actually" in the middle of a normal conversation has the opposite effect. 

https://theblackwallsttimes.com/2022/10/31/n-word-usage-surges-after-elon-musk-took-over-twitter/?fbclid=IwAR0OIRyOAcGTROL4r0YVbuzn-k7rT6C9sH-95-Kpv55ODg5d8LotiJep_sI

Wow. This is a shock only to people who don’t use Twitter much. Or maybe just the naive? Utterly predictable. Look at all the hate speech!!!

Also, since Brisket loved the first piece by this guy. Here you go

56 minutes ago, sidis said:

it sure as shit moderates instagram and keeps deleting alejandra guilmant's hot ass self-posted nude photos and videos off and it's pissing me off.  not that this adds anything constructive to this thread acting as an observation deck to a real-time train wreck.

Alejandra Guilmant?

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

Interesting strategy if Elon starts to openly attack companies that are pausing advertising on Twitter. Can you really pressure advertisers to advertise more? 

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

This can’t be real, but I love the irony of the disinformation.  No way to embed a Tik Tok  

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRxeWvTx/

Who knows if that’s real but yesterday twitter hr said that those being fired are receiving an email to their personal email as their corp access would be cut. This guy is claiming to have received this email to his Twitter corp email account. And that his corp email would be active until later today. Makes it seem fake to me.

unfortunately there is no good way to fire large numbers of people. And if any Twitter employee is shocked they are losing their job, wtf. The writing has been on the wall for months.

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Interesting strategy if Elon starts to openly attack companies that are pausing advertising on Twitter. Can you really pressure advertisers to advertise more? 

https://gizmodo.com/meta-twitter-facebook-advertisers-musk-1849745400

Facebook offering some advice

Speaking at the Web Summit in Lisbon, Portugal representatives from The Oversight Board said Musk should learn some lessons from Mark Zuckerberg’s contentious content moderation history and “start with the principle of not doing harm,”

“As Meta found out, when you move fast you sometimes break things,” Oversight Board Head of Communications Dex Hunter-Torricke said.

When asked about Musk’s at times wildly inconsistent messaging regarding his approach to content moderation, Oversight Board member Alan Rusbridger advised Musk not to bite the hand that feeds.

“You can’t piss off the advertisers,” Rusbridger said. The former Guardian editor went on to urge stability and consistency when it comes to enforcing rules.

The crazy thing is that none of this is rocket science.  Everybody understands that if you allow batshit stuff to be posted, advertisers will bail. Hell, a bunch of advertisers and their reps literally told Musk this yesterday.

And that’s especially important given how much he sunk into Twitter.  Male supplements and gold coins may have made Alex Jones a millionaire, but they won’t bring in billions for Twitter, and neither will selling blue checks,

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

https://gizmodo.com/meta-twitter-facebook-advertisers-musk-1849745400

Facebook offering some advice

The crazy thing is that none of this is rocket science.  Everybody understands that if you allow batshit stuff to be posted, advertisers will bail. Hell, a bunch of advertisers and their reps literally told Musk this yesterday.

And that’s especially important given how much he sunk into Twitter.  Male supplements and gold coins may have made Alex Jones a millionaire, but they won’t bring in billions for Twitter, and neither will selling blue checks,

Many advertisers fled texags when they allowed their Political board to be overrun by QAnon posters. They had to shut that down to appease the few non -local advertisers that remained.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Humble Beast said:

Wow. This is a shock only to people who don’t use Twitter much. Or maybe just the naive? Utterly predictable. Look at all the hate speech!!!

Also, since Brisket loved the first piece by this guy. Here you go

Temper-tantrum GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 11/3/2022 at 7:25 AM, aggie08 said:

Why does always becoming a conservative influencer always have to include being a shit-posting troll and amplifying conspiracy theories? 

I have already said the Elon is still a huge net positive on the world...but him dedicating so much time to trolling for lib tears is a little disappointing for a man of his intellect.

It's because owning the libs is their party platform.  It's not policy.  It's not ideas.  It's just owning the libs.  That's it.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Just now, 'stache said:

Elon's purchase of twitter was a purely political temper tantrum.  And its playing out pretty much precisely along those lines. That's why politics are unavoidable here.

But a quick google search says:

Within the context of American politics, Musk has described himself as being politically moderate. Musk supported George W. Bush in 2004, Barack Obama in 2012, Hillary Clinton in 2016, and Joe Biden in 2020. In 2022, Musk said he would start voting for Republican Party candidates.

3 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Cutting back on servers, capacity, bandwidth and cloud usage to save money for a global platform like Twitter.  What could possibly go wrong:

https://www.reuters.com/technology/musk-orders-twitter-cut-infrastructure-costs-by-1-bln-sources-2022-11-03/

Only one man for this kind of job

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, 'stache said:

That’s an interesting reaction to it being proven that you’re either dishonest, or absurdly easy to manipulate. 

7 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Just curious, how did this become a political thread?

This is part of the information war. It’s not this clean, but one side is upset that they potentially lost control of a vital information/propaganda dissemination vehicle. The other side thinks they’ll get a fairer shake. I tend to think Elon will piss both sides off. 

• Fuck You 4

• immamac changed the title to Elon Musk: [Fraud] Official or unofficial piece of shit?
  • blacklab changed the title to Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?