Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

3 hours ago, NoName said:

naw, fuck that guy...i just read an article about him getting choked out at that BJJ tournament he was in

but when it's zuck vs elon it's an easy choice.

I'm not clicking that link until you confirm that "BJJ" doesn't stand for "blow-job-jamboree."

/damn it, I clicked it anyway.

//can thankfully confirm that it's Brazilian-Jiu-Jitsu-related

Edited by dcbc
  • Haha 2

Can Musk finish neuralink before we all wish death on him?  He’s a dbag for sure but the possibilities for Parkinson’s, epilepsy, spinal cord injuries, Alzheimer’s and dementia with neuralink are pretty amazing.  It sounds crazy but he has with the help of the people he puts in place to has done everything he said he would tech wise so far and this one might be a game changer for many.  

Edited by Hook1997

41 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Can Musk finish neuralink before we all wish death on him?  He’s a dbag for sure but the possibilities for Parkinson’s, epilepsy, spinal cord injuries, Alzheimer’s and dementia with neuralink are pretty amazing.  It sounds crazy but he has with the help of the people he puts in place to has done everything he said he would tech wise so far and this one might be a game changer for many.  

No. If you get a musk chip in your brain do you have any faith it will actually work? Or have gone though proper safety research?

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, NoName said:

No. If you get a musk chip in your brain do you have any faith it will actually work? Or have gone though proper safety research?

Hints why it’s in human trials….   Am I volunteering no but if I have Parkinson’s and it’s five to ten years later after it’s shown to work, and I get it yea I’d signup.  To many it’s worth furthering the research vs how they are living now.  

Edited by Hook1997

5 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

fuck him but he's right. something is fucky. the promised recession will always come yeah. But not now. Corporations are making really weird personnel decisions right now, probably because wash rinse repeat no longer works

No, he’s not right. There’s nothing fucky with the numbers. He just doesn’t understand them. The recession hasn’t happened yet because we’re still at only 260,000 jobless claims. At around 400,000 is when recession hits. Although, Housing has already been in recession for a year. Tech has seen some layoffs, but the majority of the economy has not. Recession should be hitting around December 2023 IMO 

2 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Hints why it’s in human trials….   Am I volunteering no but if I have Parkinson’s and it’s five to ten years later after it’s shown to work, and I get it yea I’d signup.  To many it’s worth furthering the research vs how they are living now.  

5 to 10 years? Wow. He might beat Tesla’s robot axis to market. 

27 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

5 to 10 years? Wow. He might beat Tesla’s robot axis to market. 

Yea crazy amount of time to cure a disease never cured before I know….   I’m just saying there is work that he’s doing that is good, I don’t understand why some people can’t separate politics and just not liking a person from some of the work they do.  I’m looking at one thing he’s working on not the person, most of what he has set out to do he has done before anyone else even though most said he couldn’t.  You or anyone you know land a reusable rocket recently or brought the first electric car to the market?  We’re talking about something that can help the lives of millions and your looking at it thru a judgmental lens still?

Edited by Hook1997

8 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Yea crazy amount of time to cure a disease never cured before I know….   I’m just saying there is work that he’s doing that is good, I don’t understand why some people can’t separate politics and just not liking a person from some of the work they do. 

Ah, there is your first mistake, thinking that this is anything political. It is not. This really has to do with Musk's penchant for over-promising and under-delivering. He didn't do it a lot around 2010 or so. But for the last 10 years, this has been much of his norm.

You or anyone you know land a reusable rocket recently ...

I watched Bond do it in Thunderball. And McDonnell-Douglas was testing them out in the 1990's.

... or brought the first electric car to the market?

You mean General Motors? The EV1 says 'hi'.

Look, I know that these two examples are a bit of hyperbole, but not wrong. It is a lot of revisionist history that people  have about Musk that he is this great inventor. Look I get that Tesla, because of Musk's money, was able to make the electric car become much more mainstream on a timetable that was much faster than planned by any of the big players in the market. And I get that SpaceX has moved reusable rockets much further than either example I cited, though I would give much more credit to Gwynne Shotwell than I would Musk.

BUT, while these are two example of Musk delivering. Musk has a very recent track record of not delivering. Robotaxis, hyperloop, Tesla Semi, Cybertruck, Solar roofs, GOING TO MARS (seriously he said we should have been there, or are 3 years out), etc. And his recent track record is awful. This is what I harp on.

We’re talking about something that can help the lives of millions and your looking at it thru a judgmental lens still?

Yes. When I am using a technical lens to judge him, why wouldn't I apply this to Neuralink? Hell, they are already behind schedule on this as he promised to have these in people 3 years ago! Many of the people that started working at Neuralink have left because they didn't like his workplace culture. In the end, it just sounds like a lot more of Musk's over-promising and under-delivering.

And that doesn't even get into results, which I am not sure what to expect. Frankly, what I am seeing with Neuralink, they haven't made a ton of progress as a whole. I would have expected them to be very far along with animal trials before attempting to put these in human subjects. Instead it really sounds like that Musk is expecting Neuralink to use humans a guinea pigs only making strides once they have human subjects. So now we get to throw ethics into this equation (which we've been watching with Tesla for a bit now).

Edited by Captain Ron
can't forget solar or mars
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Musk is a variant of the mlikshake duck. I expect most serious people never thought he was super involved in anything technical but appreciated that he brought energy and financial backing to cool projects that helped move us forward and that's cool. And then we learn more about milkshake duck

23Ducktweet_xp-videoSixteenByNineJumbo16

• Hook 'Em 3

Musk is a confidence man. The PT Barnum of Technology. Similar to Steve Jobs maybe. He stands in front of the crowd and wows them with promises of new technology tomorrow. Sometimes the smart people making this shit deliver. Sometimes they don't. It doesn't matter though, the promise is the same every year. We're going to change the world. Just wait till next year. 

Don't get me wrong. SpaceX is delivering. Tesla originally delivered, but there are some underlying issues now. We'll see. I know nothing of Starlink but it seems like it's delivering. 

Twitter has exposed Musk for what he is. A confidence man that doesn't know what he's talking about and lend credence to rumors that SpaceX has employees dedicated to distracting him when he's around. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Musk is a confidence man. The PT Barnum of Technology. Similar to Steve Jobs maybe. He stands in front of the crowd and wows them with promises of new technology tomorrow. Sometimes the smart people making this shit deliver. Sometimes they don't. It doesn't matter though, the promise is the same every year. We're going to change the world. Just wait till next year. 

Don't get me wrong. SpaceX is delivering. Tesla originally delivered, but there are some underlying issues now. We'll see. I know nothing of Starlink but it seems like it's delivering. 

Twitter has exposed Musk for what he is. A confidence man that doesn't know what he's talking about and lend credence to rumors that SpaceX has employees dedicated to distracting him when he's around. 

Can't think of a better description

49 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Two quick thoughts:

Starlink - solid product. THOUGH I would note that I think the delivery has been a lot less than it could have been. The ironic thing is that the problem at this point isn't the satellites, but in fact that there isn't enough ground handling stations. His lack of stations in areas with high demand has caused him to not be able to meet demand. Our place in Vermont, I have no issues and in fact have their cheaper rate of service. But you get in areas like Texas there are waitlists and the costs are, IMHO unnecessarily high. Speeds are also not what they could/should be. I would give it 7/10.

Comparison w/ Jobs - Not totally fair to Jobs. I think he was 1000x the showman/marketer that Musk is. The guy was so much more media savvy that Elon on his best day. Jobs understood that few words was better. And he was not promising anything until they knew exactly the target they were going to hit. He might walk on stage with a non-working demo (these were rare), but he understood that if you say on Day X you will have product Y with Features A, B, C, D and E he would deliver that product and features on that day.

And he was part of the development process too. He understood his target audience and delivered features that even we didn't know we needed. Things like truetype, etc. And he understood that finish was everything. There is a reason that the iPod, iPhone and Macs are all seen as things of beauty. They are works of art.

• Hook 'Em 6

5 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Comparison w/ Jobs - Not totally fair to Jobs. I think he was 1000x the showman/marketer that Musk is. The guy was so much more media savvy that Elon on his best day. Jobs understood that few words was better. And he was not promising anything until they knew exactly the target they were going to hit. He might walk on stage with a non-working demo (these were rare), but he understood that if you say on Day X you will have product Y with Features A, B, C, D and E he would deliver that product and features on that day.

And he was part of the development process too. He understood his target audience and delivered features that even we didn't know we needed. Things like truetype, etc. And he understood that finish was everything. There is a reason that the iPod, iPhone and Macs are all seen as things of beauty. They are works of art

Absolutely.  Jobs obsessed over tiny little details, like the curvature of the corners of the iPhone or even icons of the default apps on the iPhone. He obsessed over how fast the scroll wheel on the original iPods would move through lists of songs.

He would not have announced and bragged about something as shitty as the CyberTruck, and he sure as fuck would not have thrown baseballs at it and then have the windows break like that. 

And given how many years the various Tesla models have been around, he sure as fuck would not have allowed there to still be fit and finish problems with things like door panels.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

He would not have announced and bragged about something as shitty as the CyberTruck, and he sure as fuck would not have thrown baseballs at it and then have the windows break like that.

the cybertruck was announced 3 years and 7 months ago. and still isn't out. and still doesn't have an expected delivery/release date.

Edited by NoName

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

the cybertruck was announced 3 years and 7 months ago. and still isn't out. and still doesn't have an expected delivery/release date.

Meanwhile Ford announced their electric truck and then shipped it a year and change later.

And Rivian is starting to get more SUVs out there, that look like SUVs.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Absolutely.  Jobs obsessed over tiny little details, like the curvature of the corners of the iPhone or even icons of the default apps on the iPhone. He obsessed over how fast the scroll wheel on the original iPods would move through lists of songs.

And given how many years the various Tesla models have been around, he sure as fuck would not have allowed there to still be fit and finish problems with things like door panels.

Jobs may have drank too much of the kool-aid about being “first” and pumping up the importance of Apple releasing tech that already existed, but Jobs absolutely had a clear, concise vision with clear, concise timelines that he consistently delivered on. The only snake oil with Jobs was the importance of Apple being the company to release tech. Does it already exist? Didn’t matter. If Apple hadn’t released it, then it didn’t “exist” in Jobs’ mind. But Apple did drive innovation and did improve on already existing concepts exactly how Jobs said it would exactly when Jobs said they would. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Jobs also wouldn't let the design of his products languish for years and let them get long in the tooth. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Yea crazy amount of time to cure a disease never cured before I know….   I’m just saying there is work that he’s doing that is good, I don’t understand why some people can’t separate politics and just not liking a person from some of the work they do.  I’m looking at one thing he’s working on not the person, most of what he has set out to do he has done before anyone else even though most said he couldn’t.  You or anyone you know land a reusable rocket recently or brought the first electric car to the market?  We’re talking about something that can help the lives of millions and your looking at it thru a judgmental lens still?

I wanted to come back to this really quick - because I do think there is one thing lost in my response to this message that I want to be clear on, given the technology and what it can do:

I very much want this venture to succeed. Everything you talk about with the tech and what it could do - phenomenal. I think it would be amazing. And it's success could be a major game changer for humanity.

But, again, I just don't think he is going to deliver anything on this front. He's all hat and no cattle. And even this part:

5 hours ago, NoName said:

if you think that suddenly people don't like Elon Musk due to his political change, you have another thing coming. dude is a well known shitty human. not sure there is a person currently living on the planet who is better at taking credit for things he absolutely did not do alone.

I would be willing to let this go IF HE WAS DELIVERING HIS PROMISES. The ability to deliver on the task at hand will cover just about anything. Look at how many total shitheads there are that get their job done - coaches, CEOs, etc. If you deliver, you can be among the worst humans in the world and people would give you a pass.

Where Musk is starting to lose the script is that he is a shitty human and not delivering anymore. And that doesn't fly.

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Where Musk is starting to lose the script is that he is a shitty human and not delivering anymore. And that doesn't fly.

And he doesn't even seem to have a vision at times.  You could argue he has one with SpaceX, but it's a pretty broad and long-term version.

Tesla?  There's no vision there, other than maybe pivoting to them being a company that builds charging stations for other companies.  He can't seem to come up with new vehicles, and the one new vehicle he came up with recently is never going to be built. Meanwhile, the monolithic companies he bitches about like Ford are able to announce and then produce a new platform within a year.

Twitter?  His vision for it changes weekly.  Sure, he seems to want to make X.com happen, but he's not actually doing the things he needs to do to make it happen. In fact, he's turning people off to twitter/X.com, and technically, he's making people question the technical competence of twitter.

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Meanwhile Ford announced their electric truck and then shipped it a year and change later.

And Rivian is starting to get more SUVs out there, that look like SUVs.

Not sure I agree with your police work, Lou.

Signed, someone who paid a $100 deposit for Ford Lightning in May of 2021 and still cannot order model (just logged in and looked) and even if I could, prices are up like 50% since announced.

Edited by HonkeyVape

4 minutes ago, HonkeyVape said:

Signed, someone who paid a $100 deposit for Ford Lightning in May of 2021 and still cannot order model (just logged in and looked) and even if I could, prices are up like 50% since announced.

While it was being designed and tested starting in 2019, they unveiled it and announced the name on May 19, 2021.  Ford shipped the first one on May 26, 2022.

Musk has been talking about a truck since 2012, started sketching it out publicly in 2016, unveiled and named it in 2019, and it might come out later this year.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

While it was being designed and tested starting in 2019, they unveiled it and announced the name on May 19, 2021.  Ford shipped the first one on May 26, 2022.

Musk has been talking about a truck since 2012, started sketching it out publicly in 2016, unveiled and named it in 2019, and it might come out later this year.

Oh no I agree, the Cybertruck is vaporware, I'm just saying let's not over-credit Ford here. They aren't exactly at distribution and GTM yet, though they have done roll-outs while they could.

1 minute ago, HonkeyVape said:

he said it "Meanwhile Ford announced their electric truck and then shipped it a year and change later. "

F150 Lightning was unveiled in May 2021. first one was delivered in May 2022.

they took like 69k pre orders and delivered 13k and change in 2022. they are going to triple their production in 2023 to an annual rate of 150k units. sorry but what did you think was going to happen? you would pre order (well deposit on an order at least) and they would lock you in at that year 1 price?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, HonkeyVape said:

Oh no I agree, the Cybertruck is vaporware, I'm just saying let's not over-credit Ford here. They aren't exactly at distribution and GTM yet, though they have done roll-outs while they could.

1 year from announcement to first delivery.

cybertruck is on 3 years and 7 months from announcement and is nowhere near being rolled out. alpha version had HUGE issues. it isn't going to be delivered until 2024 at the earliest.

The contents of the report do not deal a fatal blow to the Cybertruck. As one veteran automotive engineer, who spoke on condition of anonymity to prevent backlash from Tesla fans, says, the company has enormous financial resources which will allow it to address the issues detailed in the report. However, he said, “my first reaction is I am astounded. These are classic mechanical automotive engineering challenges that you have in pretty much any vehicle. I'm blown away that they would be struggling so much with the basics.”

this is a sick burn from that ars article:

Stainless steel is not easy to shape or mold, “Hence the look as if it's the output of a student in an in-class ‘Pop Quiz Number 1’ for the course ‘Intro to Car Design,’” says Raj Rajkumar, a professor of electrical and computer engineering at Carnegie Mellon University

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

he said it "Meanwhile Ford announced their electric truck and then shipped it a year and change later. "

F150 Lightning was unveiled in May 2021. first one was delivered in May 2022.

they took like 69k pre orders and delivered 13k and change in 2022. they are going to triple their production in 2023 to an annual rate of 150k units. sorry but what did you think was going to happen? you would pre order (well deposit on an order at least) and they would lock you in at that year 1 price?

No, I knew it was a lottery style system too at first and to get the low price you'd need to get lucky, but I logged in just last week and of the 4 models, only 1 was available (and of course the two cheapest starting base models were not available to build out).

I think Ford has done great and will dominate the E-truck market, I'm just saying they aren't exactly rolling them off the line in short order as it seemed was suggested.

4 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Weird...looks like if you order a Lightning today it will be delivered in Oct. Screenshot2023-06-23142543.png.9a9104e39ca6d86d2d5dcb735f8ae4c3.png

my understanding is that the higher level trims are available pretty soon (before end of year) while if you want the base version or the lightning pro version you are going to be waiting a long time. not that it matters, they are cancelling all pre orders and refunding $$ i think by EOY.

^^ That's what I'm seeing as well

That said, I think it is a flex when someone rolls up in the church parking lot with the new Ford Lightning though, especially knowing it's not the cheapest. We've beat this dead horse, but having a Tesla in 2023 is NOT a flex.

But as I mentioned in the trucks thread-- gasoline trucks are still more expensive. Just had lunch today with a buddy who bought a higher end F250 with all the fixings and out the door price was $109k.

Edited by HonkeyVape

I think Ford has done great and will dominate the E-truck market, I'm just saying they aren't exactly rolling them off the line in short order as it seemed was suggested.

that's flat out not what was suggested or said:

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

announced/unveiled in May 2021. first one was delivered in May 2022.

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

that's flat out not what was suggested or said:

announced/unveiled in May 2021. first one was delivered in May 2022.

Sorry then, I took the implication to mean that it was being shipped in mass quantity and at scale, not in the limited way it's been handled since 2022.

Again, it's massively better than what Tesla has been able to do and so by comparison it's a grand slam, which I guess was the point.

Sorry then, I took the implication to mean that it was being shipped in mass quantity and at scale, not in the limited way it's been handled since 2022.

Again, it's massively better than what Tesla has been able to do and so by comparison it's a grand slam, which I guess was the point.

yeah, they announced it, rolled it out and delivered 15k+ in ~18 months.

if they roll one off the assembly line by November, TSLA is going to be 4 years between announcement and delivery of a single vehicle, much less 15k.

RE: Lightning availability and whatnot.

Bought a new Explorer for my wife back in February.  Dealer had a Lightning on the lot; it was a Platinum.  Didn't walk over to it to see the cost or whatever.

Signing the papers with the finance guy, I asked him about it. Said it had been on the lot for 2-3 months, and no one seemed interested.  I asked what the price was, and he said sticker.  Granted, this was in NW Arkansas, so maybe there was some built in bias towards an electric truck, but at the same time, that area's socioeconomic status would guarantee someone could afford the thing, plus I saw Teslas out and about.

Just checked their website, and they have 5 new in stock now (one XLT and 4 Lariats) and a used one with 1,600 miles

This morning on twitter features ridiculous messages from Lance Armstrong, the network of pro Russian accounts logging back on to insist they got everything right, and some nobody with a blue check posting a long cat about nuclear war and suspending the constitution gets 6.5M views in a day.

Maye Musk really doesn't want her son to fight Mark Zuckerberg in a cage match. 

"Don't encourage this match!" she tweeted at podcaster and AI researcher Lex Fridman on Thursday, adding two angry-face emojis to her post.

Fridman had suggested he'd be "all for" a Musk vs. Zuck jiu-jitsu match. Elon Musk gamely responded to Fridman, writing: "Let's go full MMA."

But Maye Musk has been spending the last day trying to prevent the throwdown from happening. 

"Actually, I canceled the fight. I haven't told them yet. But I will continue to say the fight is canceled, just in case," she tweeted.

She also tweeted at her son on Friday, asking him to knock it off after he proposed the fight take place at the UFC's Octagon in Vegas.

"Fight with words only. In armchairs. 4 feet apart. The funniest person wins," she wrote.

No date has been set for the fight, which Elon Musk proposed, Zuckerberg took the bait on, and may well end up being nothing but billionaire bluster on Twitter.

Even so, the betting odds for the fight are rolling in, and some Twitter users have taken it upon themselves to make posters for fight night. Musk seems pretty fired up, though he'll be up against a younger, fitter Zuckerberg who's had training in mixed martial arts for over a year.

STFU. With all the shit we've been through the last couple of years, I need to see elmo get his ass beat by weird ass zuckerberg. Dont ruin this, bitch. The world needs to heal. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, F250 said:

No rules street fighting as opposed to street fighting with rules?

I mean.....maybe.  Years ago, I saw two shirtless dudes fighting at the bus stop that used to be at 6th and Congress.  As one of them started to get the upper hand (kinda getting the other dude in a headlock), the headlocked dude yells "time out, time out!"....and the other dude actually releases the headlock and goes back to his "corner."  So....maybe there's rules?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean.....maybe.  Years ago, I saw two shirtless dudes fighting at the bus stop that used to be at 6th and Congress.  As one of them started to get the upper hand (kinda getting the other dude in a headlock), the headlocked dude yells "time out, time out!"....and the other dude actually releases the headlock and goes back to his "corner."  So....maybe there's rules?

Those dudes weren't fighting.

NTTIAWWT.

• Haha 1

• immamac changed the title to Elon Musk: [Fraud] Official or unofficial piece of shit?
  • blacklab changed the title to Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?