Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

On 7/2/2019 at 12:07 PM, Chips O'Toole said:

Exhibit A is pretty good if you follow the various true crime docuseries.  It's only 4 eps but it covers some examples of flawed forensic science in criminal cases.  The first case is about the video evidence in the Killeen Valero robbery case.

To my surprise, the filmmakers actually didn't leave much out concerning this case.  You can read more here if interested:

Spoiler

1) There was a jailhouse snitch, which may or may not have been in the doc - I FF a few parts.  Jailhouse snitches are notoriously unreliable.  This was actually the basis for Powell getting a new trial a few weeks ago. 

2) the clerk who knew powell as the CD guy and who was featured in the doc worked at a valero that was robbed, while he was tried for the 7/11 robbery - that's where the surveillance video featured in the doc and trial came from. I don't think this matters much in the grand scheme of things, but that was a bit unclear to the viewer IMO.

3) At trial, 2 employees at the 7/11 identified powell as the robber and they were not featured in the doc.  However, one of their statements to police had the perp at 5'7.

4) the evidence against powell was very weak IMO.  Glad he's getting a new trial.

This ruling summarizes the evidence against him nicely: http://media.graytvinc.com/documents/Powell+retrial+ruling.PDF

On 7/2/2019 at 1:16 PM, Scraps said:

I've always hated dogs in cases.

On 7/2/2019 at 1:22 PM, Chips O'Toole said:

I had never heard of dogs being used as evidence in these cases, it seems completely fucked to use a dog's reaction as evidence rather than just as a means of finding a body.  It blows my mind, it could be so easily manipulated and even if it wasn't, it's still bullshit that you would take an interpretation of a dog bark as admissible evidence.

On 7/2/2019 at 2:43 PM, Deej said:

Yeah, using dogs as evidence is more than suspect. Damn things want nothing more than to make their owner happy. What makes a cop happy? Getting an arrest. A handler can give off any subtle indicator to a dog, and a handler can read anything into a situation. Not saying dogs aren't capable, but once you introduce a cop into the situation, all bets are off. 

On 7/2/2019 at 5:06 PM, MissingInAction said:

I could make my last dog bark at anything if i stared at it long enough. Current dog is also learning this. 

Had no idea i could be convicting motherfuckers with this trick.

As with the blood spatter story, the doc makers left out a lot of evidence, including evidence about the reliability of these dogs.  Read further if interested:

Spoiler

1) unlike the dog who failed the test in Texas (that was very misleading to include in my view), the particular dogs used in this case have a very high (>95%) accuracy rate based upon controlled experiments (single and double blind), supervised by the FBI.  In this way, this type of evidence is much more scientific than say ballistics or fiber comparison, etc, which are based upon the subjective opinion of the analyst and whose reliability is not assessed through controlled experimentation.   

2) when the dogs tested his car, it was among 30 other vehicles in a warehouse.  The handler was not told which car was the suspect car.  The dogs hit only on his car.  Also, when they separately tested the car's belongings, the belongings were in a room of other objects not connected to the case, and the handler was not told which objects were the suspect objects.  The dogs hit only on the child's car seat and bag containing the child's blanket.  

3) witness testimony at trial indicated that the father frequently spanked the 2 year old with a paddle for wetting herself.  The night before the alleged carjacking, a sleepover witness testified the father beat the child so hard she sounded like was in immense pain.

4) the father told the police the night before the incident that child fell and hit her head and may have had a concussion.  

5) The morning of the incident, the dad took the 2 year old with him to drop off his 7 year old at school.  This was unusual, as he never took the 2 year old.  He also covered her with a blanket to "keep her warm."  

6) not long before the alleged car jacking, the father stopped his car and spoke with an acquaintance.  This man testified the father was the only occupant in the car and that the father seemed distraught.  

7) the car was found a short distance away with they keys in it, running, but the child was missing.  Does it make sense that the average car jacker would ditch the car, but take a 2 year old? Why not ditch both?  Or the kid, but not the car?

😎 the father's alleged movements that day do not match cell phone tower pings

9) the dogs also alerted in the child's bedroom and closet.   

You can read more about the evidence against the father here:

https://caselaw.findlaw.com/mi-court-of-appeals/1683760.html

On 7/3/2019 at 10:46 PM, Bama Chick said:

New series on The Romanovs - half dramatizations, half talking head historians - is pretty good.

But I’m a sucker for this kind of stuff.

Came here to post about this.  Similar to those things they (used to?) play on History all the time.  Not incredible, but decent for a brush up on the end of the Romanovs.

Derry Girls is great, excited to hear about a new season.

Girls, Incarcerated. It’s petty but I feel some schadenfreude that these old rednecks saw their grandkids grow to be fast-ass girls. Heidi especially needs a slap. I feel bad for Najwa who can’t go anywhere since she has no guardian, but the rest of Indiana can slide into Lake Michigan.

At least Ms. Minnick got out, and is apparently doing her master’s studies at UT.

Edited by TheStoicPaisano

On 7/4/2019 at 10:10 AM, blacklab said:

I've really enjoyed Dark. German series about evil things happening in a small town. Finished season one last night and moving on to season 2 now. 

Finished this on Sunday (both seasons)  They have been renewed for a 3rd season.

Perfect German combination of Stranger Things and Lost. 

On 7/6/2019 at 9:43 PM, Izhmash said:

Beats is a good flic.  Strong story line and engaging throughout.  

Is it good if I hate hip hop? I'm not old man shake fist at sky guy, but I do hate hip hop. 

Also, thanks to those who recommended The Chef Show. That series was fantastic. I assume the movie is worth a watch if I can find it? 

I guess I’m the only one who didn’t like the Chef show. I loved the movie. But the show fell short. It wasn’t bad. It was just meh. A show with little forethought about a Director and famous chef cooking random shit and inviting celebrities to jerk each other other off. And I like Favreau and Choy. 

I was watching Roadhouse and trying to think about how I would describe Netflix to someone from the eighties, like if I went back in time and had to describe it to someone then. I would probably start by saying its like Satellite or Cable tv, but you choose the shows you want to watch. But then I thought about how to describe to the random eighties people that the most "Streamed" show was about kids from the eighties and set to eighties music and based on the horror from the eighties.

49 minutes ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

Is it good if I hate hip hop? I'm not old man shake fist at sky guy, but I do hate hip hop. 

Good question.  I am not certain.  The story line is strong enough to overcome it, I believe...but the music is rap / hip hop. The story is about bringing a teen out of a downward spiral and leveraging his creative skills to position him for some success.  It's a feel-good story with a few dashes of drama.

9 hours ago, trza-hawk said:

I was watching Roadhouse and trying to think about how I would describe Netflix to someone from the eighties, like if I went back in time and had to describe it to someone then. I would probably start by saying its like Satellite or Cable tv, but you choose the shows you want to watch. But then I thought about how to describe to the random eighties people that the most "Streamed" show was about kids from the eighties and set to eighties music and based on the horror from the eighties.

It's like if blockbuster delivered movies over the telephone.

i don't know if it's been mentioned, but aziz's new special "right now" is up.  directed by spike jonze (whatever that means, it's a fucking stand up).

anyway, wasn't sure if anyone had seen it.  i loved his show, and loved everything he did in parks and rec, but his routines can be very hit or miss with me.

although his raaaaaaaandy character (from funny people and other bits) was hilarious.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i don't know if it's been mentioned, but aziz's new special "right now" is up.  directed by spike jonze (whatever that means, it's a fucking stand up).

anyway, wasn't sure if anyone had seen it.  i loved his show, and loved everything he did in parks and rec, but his routines can be very hit or miss with me.

although his raaaaaaaandy character (from funny people and other bits) was hilarious.

Watched it last night and it's really funny. I liked his old specials but this one is better imo. He's not "in character" for this one and it works better with the content. 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 12:35 AM, henrygandorf said:

I loved his old specials. This one was not up to that level. Maybe it was the dumbass camera a foot from his face. Thanks Spike Jones. 

Watched the new Aziz set last night.  I enjoyed it.  That said, something seemed eerily familiar both in style, body language, and his cadence.  

The whole act seemed to biting hard on Chappelle’s The Bird Revelation from the sitting on a stool to the plaintive sighs into the michrophone, to the whispered deep thoughts, etc etc. 

The improv with the 10 year old kid in the front row was great, though.  

17 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Collateral was a good / quick watch. BBC immigrant murder mystery 

Yeah Collateral great... any other recommendations similar to Collateral??

Some similar that I've seen: 

• Bodyguard is good 
  • Secret City was great
  • Marcella is ok
  • The Code is ok
  • Broadchurch is ok and nice scenery
  • Deadwind decent but it's subtitles

Movies worth revisting if bored:  Fracture, The Imitation Game, All the President's Men, Good Will Hunting, The Hangover, Grand Torino, Indiana Jones movies, The Dark Knight, Pull Fiction, The Fighter, The 40 Yr Old Virgin, The 6th Sense, Scarface, American Gangster, She's Out of My League.

Manhunt Unabomber was interesting Series

Few of my favorite series are still:  Narcos (3), Ozarks, Stranger Things

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

On 7/14/2019 at 10:15 AM, pyrohornIII said:

Just finished In the Dark.  Not bad and the lead is rather attractive.  It reminded me of Fleabag but mixed with something like The Wire.

Agreed. I really liked this show and was just coming here to recommend it.

2 more to recommend. Great News and Dope.

Great News is yet another in the line of Tina Fey associated shows. Great cast, great comedy, 21 min episodes. John Michael Higgins is fantastic and Nicole Richie is super hot.

Dope is insane. These film crews follow both cops and drug dealers and tell some crazy stories. Season 3 is even crazier as they’re imbedded with some cocaine makers in Central America and Mexico following the product all the way into Spain.

22 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Fell asleep trying to watch the Bob Lazar aliens documentary. Anyone seen it?

I watched it and thought the documentary was boring trash (mainly due to the director). Much better/interesting watching the Joe Rogan Experience interview w/Bob Lazar on YouTube.

• Like 1

Always Be My Maybe

What a fucking beating. Allie Wong might be the most unlikable leading actress in the history of movies.

However, every scene with Keanu Reeves is gold. The restaurant scene was fucking hilarious.

I'm not sure how long these have been on netflix, but I've been watching a few of the PBS nova docs lately. "the day the dinosaurs died" about taking core samples of the crater currently thought to have been created by the asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs is really really fascinating. 

Edited by seven
  • Like 2

OK, so I'm totally late to the party on Californication, but I'm here now. This show is fucking great and I hope that I have lived a good enough life to come back again as Hank Moody.

Hank: (whispering) Charlie, shit heads up. Charlie, I just remembered why I didn't call her back...Charlie. Charlie. Dude, she's gonna blooooow!

16 minutes ago, LonghornJudas said:

OK, so I'm totally late to the party on Californication, but I'm here now. This show is fucking great and I hope that I have lived a good enough life to come back again as Hank Moody.

Hank: (whispering) Charlie, shit heads up. Charlie, I just remembered why I didn't call her back...Charlie. Charlie. Dude, she's gonna blooooow!

I didn't finish Californication, but Charlie Runkle has to be one of the greatest supporting characters/sidekicks in the history of evar.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2019 at 1:26 PM, TwiceHorn said:

I didn't finish Californication, but Charlie Runkle has to be one of the greatest supporting characters/sidekicks in the history of evar.

True. Evan Handler was the perfect choice. I love his dynamic with Sue, too.

I would never fuck Sue, ever, unless I was drugged and raped, which is likely how Sue would do it, BUT I would hang with her any day.