Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

I watched Quincy last night. A documentary on Quincy Jones. I’ve always been in awe of his incredible musical talent. And what a history. It’s an excellent film directed by his daughter Rashida Jones of Parks and Recreation fame. It starts out with his childhood in poverty in Southside Chicago, his close relationship with Ray Charles and how Frank Sinatra changed his life. Great story. He influenced a whole generation of musicians. Plus Oprah said he discovered her. Check it out. Also, there is a soundtrack on Spotify.

34 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

I watched Quincy last night. A documentary on Quincy Jones. I’ve always been in awe of his incredible musical talent. And what a history. It’s an excellent film directed by his daughter Rashida Jones of Parks and Recreation fame. It starts out with his childhood in poverty in Southside Chicago, his close relationship with Ray Charles and how Frank Sinatra changed his life. Great story. He influenced a whole generation of musicians. Plus Oprah said he discovered her. Check it out. Also, there is a soundtrack on Spotify.

It was good, but — and I know this reflects my own ignorance — I still don't know quite what he does.   His main thing is arranging, meaning taking existing songs and developing them for orchestral playing or an album?  Or did he compose most of the songs he was involved with?   I wish they went more into what arranging music is all about. 

3 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

It was good, but — and I know this reflects my own ignorance — I still don't know quite what he does.   His main thing is arranging, meaning taking existing songs and developing them for orchestral playing or an album?  Or did he compose most of the songs he was involved with?   I wish they went more into what arranging music is all about. 

What you ask is a tough question to answer because he did it all. Not just arranging. I’ve been a big fan of his for years. Not only his arranging and composing but his original soundtracks for Walk don’t Run, In Cold Blood, In The Heat of the Night and Roots. They were so different for their time period. I’m just impressed with the fact that he taught himself how to play, and write music, and then became a musical force and influence, considering his background of poverty and a mother with mental illness. 

5 hours ago, Brandywine said:

When I read the first sentence, I got psyched up because I thought they were showing old episodes of Quincy, M.E. On Netflix. Not gonna lie that I was bummed when I read on and found out this wasn’t the case.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I couldn’t get into season 1. Is it worth it to push through the first few episodes?

Considering the content, it might just not be relatable enough for you. I’m guessing your pubescent thoughts and feelings were  a little different than what this show portrays. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Considering the content, it might just not be relatable enough for you. I’m guessing your pubescent thoughts and feelings were  a little different than what this show portrays. 

Eh...that nerdy kid does bust a nut watching a movie trailer featuring the Rock....

Hopefully Netflix can do Chronicles of Narnia better than Hollywood did.  Everyone is REALLY stepping into the post-GOT fantasy void:

Chronicles of Narnia - Netflix

The Witcher - Netflix

Wheel of Time - Amazon

Lord of the Rings - Amazon

His Dark Materials - BBC

https://comicbook.com/movies/2018/10/03/the-chronicles-of-narnia-netflix-live-action-series/

3 hours ago, Scraps said:
On 10/1/2018 at 7:11 PM, Bill Brasky said:
American Vandal is fucking awesome 

I love the crime dramas so a satire of crime dramas is fucking awesome. I rolled through both seasons quick and thought it was hilarious.

American Vandal spoiler...

Spoiler

did you notice that in season 1 the cast on her leg was on different feet in different photos? 

23 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I saw that life of Brian is there. Are there others?

Looks like almost everything they’ve done is on there, at least TV-wise.  Just dropped yesterday.  Documentaries about the documentaries about making Life of Brian, TV spinoffs, the original series, etc.

somebody at Netflix really likes Monty Python. 

Do you guys use instantwatcher or something similar, or do you have it setup where Netflix actually shows you new stuff they added.  Unless I specifically search for a title I wouldn't even know they were carrying it.  They do a piss poor job of actually showing any movie that isn't a Netflix original.

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Do you guys use instantwatcher or something similar, or do you have it setup where Netflix actually shows you new stuff they added.  Unless I specifically search for a title I wouldn't even know they were carrying it.  They do a piss poor job of actually showing any movie that isn't a Netflix original.

InstantWatcher for Netflix.  JustWatch for Hulu and Amazon Prime. 

Norsemen s2 is good, S1 was better. Too much jarl varg for me this season.

Maniac was surprisingly good. I did not enjoy the trailer at all but gave it a shot because I like fukunaga. Ended up being very enjoyable on several levels and I would argue it's netflix's best drama.