Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

Blue Eye Samurai that dropped Nov. 3rd, is anyone else watching this? It is a visually stunning animation about a revenge story. It is super violent and it looks so well cheographed that I would forget it is animation at times. The fighting is good but occasionally very John Wickish in that you have to suspend belief on how the hero triumphs but it is very entertaining and well paced. I didn't mean to binge it but I did. Now I have to hope for a season 2. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

"Our Universe" is fucking incredible.

Narrorated by Morgan Freeman.

Really puts life into perspective.

Edibles optional but encouraged.

Life on Our Planet, also narrated by Freeman, is also very good. It tells the story of evolution from the very beginning. . 

• Hook 'Em 3

13 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Life on Our Planet, also narrated by Freeman, is also very good. It tells the story of evolution from the very beginning. . 

Just to clarify. This show is not limited to the evolution of man but the creation and evolution of all life in earth. There obviously is a good bit of CGI, as it takes place over hundreds of millions of years, but it’s done pretty well. 

Edited by TonyTexas

15 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Idk why this shit has been my jam lately. Pop an edible and Life on Our Planet, Our Universe, Planet Earth, The Planets hits HARD

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

Watched Sly

Rocky is my movie so obviously a lot of talk about that. Family life growing up talk. Rambo/Expendables talk.

Worth a watch if you like Sly.

If you don't like him you must be a little bitch boy.

I'm a HUGE fan. I've got the Rambo, Rocky, and Expendables classic DVD collections.

The doc really brought forth his motivation to do everything he did.

He recognized his limits and his strengths. Didn't fight either to bring forth 3 franchises of badassery.

• Hook 'Em 1

Watched Beckham doc and as an American non soccer fan, I had no idea that he was hated by pretty much the whole country after getting booted out of the world cup final.

I'm trying to think of anything in America even remotely close to the vitriol over something that purely happened on the playing field (ie not sandusky stuff) and am coming up blank.  Take Gideon in 2008 and multiply it by 100.

Tldr-limeys really, really care about soccer and make the most ardent college football fans appear sane.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Not a cat said:

Watched Beckham doc and as an American non soccer fan, I had no idea that he was hated by pretty much the whole country after getting booted out of the world cup final.

I'm trying to think of anything in America even remotely close to the vitriol over something that purely happened on the playing field (ie not sandusky stuff) and am coming up blank.  Take Gideon in 2008 and multiply it by 100.

Tldr-limeys really, really care about soccer and make the most ardent college football fans appear sane.

Agreed. Wife and I loved it. Not soccer fans whatsoever.

On 11/6/2023 at 8:06 AM, burntorangebongos said:

Blue Eye Samurai that dropped Nov. 3rd, is anyone else watching this? It is a visually stunning animation about a revenge story. It is super violent and it looks so well cheographed that I would forget it is animation at times. The fighting is good but occasionally very John Wickish in that you have to suspend belief on how the hero triumphs but it is very entertaining and well paced. I didn't mean to binge it but I did. Now I have to hope for a season 2. 

Watched episode 1 last night. Pretty badass 

28 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Watched episode 1 last night. Pretty badass 

It is a rudimentary revenge story, but with enough twists to intrigue and suck you in. By episode 5 and 6 when it really delivers, you will forgive it anything because it has you so engrossed. I can't believe how stunning it was, almost like it had a master cinematographer in a real-life film. After I watched it, I looked up the cast and realized another reason it was so good.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 11/9/2023 at 8:29 PM, burntorangebongos said:

It is a rudimentary revenge story, but with enough twists to intrigue and suck you in. By episode 5 and 6 when it really delivers, you will forgive it anything because it has you so engrossed. I can't believe how stunning it was, almost like it had a master cinematographer in a real-life film. After I watched it, I looked up the cast and realized another reason it was so good.

Blazed right through all 8 episodes. Really enjoyed it.

You left out Ming Na Wen as the brothel runner. She is fantastic. And you get to hear her talk dirty.

On 11/9/2023 at 11:54 AM, Not a cat said:

Bill Buckner.  Still too soon.

Started The Killer starring Michael Fassbender, hypnotic narration of Paris setting by the lead, you’re expecting to see a flawless assassination but it goes kaput and he has to bug out to the safe house . . . only it’s not safe.  So far so good; it holds one’s attention.

I really liked it. Sort of a slow burn…

One to avoid - "Who is Erin Carter." Put it on because it's filmed in and around Barcelona, has Douglas Henshall in it, and seemed wife friendly. 7 episodes that become increasingly painful to watch. 
All the 'made by netflix for netflix' dramas (as opposed to something already produced that netflix buys the rights to) these days seem so formulaic.

I’m a little tired of 100 lb women who can supposedly go around kicking guys asses.

I will certainly suspend reality in certain instances but when they try to make a real life type show, not superheroes, I don’t want to see chicks fly through the air doing roundhouse kicks and doing a superhero landing pose.

b17ff2af85afe666c110068045481ce5.jpg

On 11/8/2023 at 4:39 PM, MissingInAction said:

I'm a HUGE fan. I've got the Rambo, Rocky, and Expendables classic DVD collections.

The doc really brought forth his motivation to do everything he did.

He recognized his limits and his strengths. Didn't fight either to bring forth 3 franchises of badassery.

I also enjoyed my Copland rewatch...on Netflix now.

1 hour ago, Mileslong said:

I really liked it. Sort of a slow burn…

I started watching while working out thinking I’d give it a chance and see if it’s worth finishing later. I almost bailed during the intro in Paris. Instead, I sat there and watched the whole thing in one sitting. Slow burn for sure, couldn’t stop watching for some reason.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bushwood said:

Watching "Escaping Twin Flames" 

so messed up. 

We watched this over the weekend. They next level fucked some peoples' lives up. 

I'm so confused when I see this shit. That dude doesn't seem charismatic at all, just a total fucking dick headed douche. How does he get these people to follow so blindly and make such horrible life-changing decisions?

We watched this over the weekend. They next level fucked some peoples' lives up. 
I'm so confused when I see this shit. That dude doesn't seem charismatic at all, just a total fucking dick headed douche. How does he get these people to follow so blindly and make such horrible life-changing decisions?

Cringey for sure. Reminds me of a timeless scam, the Lonely Heart’s club. People will believe and pay for what they wish to happen.

On 11/9/2023 at 12:54 PM, Not a cat said:

Bill Buckner for Bosox fans 

On 11/8/2023 at 11:18 PM, shadow_operative said:

i’m watching mindhunter again. god damn what a shame it is that the show will never be finished. 

Spoiler

the series ends with bill tensch coming home to find that his horrible bitch of a wife and Omen of a son are gone (yay!), followed by one final scene of Dennis Rader enjoying some light autoerotic asphyxiation. LOL, what a way to end one of the best shows netflix ever put out. 

On 11/14/2023 at 1:13 PM, Buzzrock said:

I’m not going to shut up about this until more people watch it. It’s so fucking good. And the soundtrack kicks ass.

One episode left to go and I've enjoyed it so far.  The animation is awesome.  The voice acting is solid.  The pacing is solid.  The story is very much like any superhero/action hero story where folks get grievously wounded and 10-20 minutes later seem to be fully healed (or at least, unaffected), but that's fine.  Just roll with it.  Japanese version of "For Whom The Bell Tolls" was nice.