First responders and other civic heroes cleaning up our mess

Nicole44

This cop died saving a mentally ill man on the train tracks:

Easley Police Officer Matthew Hare died as he was helping get a man experiencing a mental health crisis off the train tracks in Easley. The man was saved.

Hare was hit by an oncoming passenger train and died at the scene. He was 22.

https://www.police1.com/officer-down/22-year-old-sc-police-officer-killed-while-saving-person-on-train-tracks-2CxISuTobmPM3gmM/

This cop saved a dog whose snout was zip tied shut. The cop adopted the dog:

https://www.wishtv.com/news/indiana-news/dog-found-with-snout-zip-tied-shut-adopted-by-south-bend-officer-who-rescued-him/

• Hook 'Em 2

This cop was stabbed to death and a witness (a hero) shot and killed the assailant and tried to save the cop’s life. hopefully, the witness won’t see any jail time for doing the world a favor by ending the assailant’s sorry life. Thankful for good samaritans. The true ones. 

“A New Mexico police officer died after he was stabbed by a suspect who was shot and killed by a witness to the attack on Sunday evening, police said. Las Cruces Patrol Officer Jonah Hernandez was stabbed at least once shortly before 5 p.m. after responding to a report of a trespasser, the Las Cruces Police Department said in a statement posted on social media.

A witness to the attack used the officer's police radio to call for help after the stabbing, but Hernandez died after he was taken to MountainView Regional Medical Center in Las Cruces, police said.

The suspect, a 29-year-old man, was believed to have been shot and killed by the witness, according to police, who did not release the suspect's identity pending notification of his next of kin.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/las-cruces-police-officer-killed-jonah-hernandez-stabbed-death-suspect/

• Hook 'Em 1

Well, this happened today.  Two cops and a medic killed responding to a Domestic. Southern suburb of the Twin Cities.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/18/us/burnsville-minnesota-officers-shooting/index.html

Two police officers and a firefighter were fatally shot and another officer was injured after responding to a domestic incident early Sunday morning in Burnsville, Minnesota, according to local authorities.

The incident began around 1:50 a.m. CT, when Burnsville Police were called to a home where a man was reported to be armed and barricaded inside with family members, city officials said in a news release.

“After arriving, the situation escalated into gunfire with responders,” the city said in the release.

• Hook 'Em 1

This police officer was shot yesterday trying to apprehend  a POS already involved in a separate shooting. Hopefully, the officer involved survives. The suspect is dead. Sorry some of my initial ones were within the last couple of days/weeks. I will focus on just current ones but wanted to include a few older stories for emphasis. 

The incident that lead to Byrne's injuries began after officers were investigating a deadly shooting that happened near the intersection of 9th and Kerlin streets, Upland Police Chief Mike Irey said.

Officers with the Chester and Upland police departments tried to pull over a car just before 3:30 p.m. on Saturday, that was suspected to be involved in that shooting, Irey told NBC10.

The car fled from the officers and crashed at the intersection of 15th and Upland streets, Irey said.

The officers then chased the suspect on foot before gunshots were fired by the suspect and the Chester police officer near 14th Street and Arbor Drive, according to officials.“

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/officer-shot-twice-in-delaware-county-on-saturday-official-says/3779424/?amp=1

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1

One officer was stabbed yesterday multiple times by the suspect that was shot dead. Another officer gave CPR to the suspect who died. Ofcourse  🙄 the AG’s office is investigating the shooting. The officer that was stabbed will survive but lost so much blood he had to be airlifted.  The wife of the suspect had called 911 saying the suspect was acting violently. Then when officers arrived the suspect jumped on top of an officer repeatedly stabbing him. It’s good to investigate to make sure it was all done correctly. 
He then saw an officer on the snow applying chest compressions to the man police shot -- 33-year-old Taiquell Woodson. He says another officer had a bloodied arm after police say Woodson stabbed him multiple times.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/newyork/news/bay-shore-police-shooting-udall-road-suffolk-county/

Edited by Nicole44

29 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

This thread seems like the kind of thing the Rainey Street Killer would do.

was just going to comment about our resident serial killer; reminds me of @TxTow talking shit about rock throwers. but in this case this seems like a weak attempt at getting a lighter sentence. 
Good Luck Nicole

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

This cop saved a one month old baby that was choking a few days ago.

https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article285757291.html

This cop saved a three year old, six year old and their mother after a motorcyclist going 100 mph crashed into their car. One of the children needed CPR and he provided that also after freeing them from their crashed car but was unable to save the motorcyclist.

https://www.insideedition.com/florida-police-officer-saves-mom-and-daughters-ages-3-and-6-months-from-car-hit-by-speeding-86074?amp

These cops saved a man the other day from jumping off the Williamsburg bridge.

https://patch.com/new-york/williamsburg/amp/31675356/video-man-saved-from-jumping-off-williamsburg-bridge-by-nypd-cop

this rookie became a cop after being saved by cops in 1996 from a burning car.

https://nypost.com/2024/01/12/metro/rookie-cop-saved-from-burning-car-as-a-baby-finally-meets-nypd-saviors/amp/

• Hook 'Em 1

My sister and BiL are ER nurses.   I think it’s fair to count them as first responders in regional catastrophes.
I know they participate in emergency drills with firefighters and paramedics.

I’m not here to shit on nurse’s (cRNA’s that post their paystubs are a different story), but the name explains itself quite clearly: First Responder. Nurses are more like third responders if anything. Technically they don’t respond to anything, the problems are brought to them.

21 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I’m not here to shit on nurse’s (cRNA’s that post their paystubs are a different story), but the name explains itself quite clearly: First Responder. Nurses are more like third responders if anything. Technically they don’t respond to anything, the problems are brought to them.

Are they "on the scene"?  No, I agree but they're part of the chain of responders that help save lives.  If you don't count that, cool.  I do. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

This cop saved a one month old baby that was choking a few days ago.

https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article285757291.html

This cop saved a three year old, six year old and their mother after a motorcyclist going 100 mph crashed into their car. One of the children needed CPR and he provided that also after freeing them from their crashed car but was unable to save the motorcyclist.

https://www.insideedition.com/florida-police-officer-saves-mom-and-daughters-ages-3-and-6-months-from-car-hit-by-speeding-86074?amp

These cops saved a man the other day from jumping off the Williamsburg bridge.

https://patch.com/new-york/williamsburg/amp/31675356/video-man-saved-from-jumping-off-williamsburg-bridge-by-nypd-cop

this rookie became a cop after being saved by cops in 1996 from a burning car.

https://nypost.com/2024/01/12/metro/rookie-cop-saved-from-burning-car-as-a-baby-finally-meets-nypd-saviors/amp/

I think everyone can agree that cops do good/great things at times.

The problem is virtually all  cops will lie to back their 'brothers'. That can take the form of filing a false report, turning a blind eye, staying silent, or even covering up mistakes.   

Until we have real police reform that includes lifetime LEO bans, losing pensions, and enforced criminal penalties for lying cops, they are simply untrustworthy.

'Bad apple' is a very fitting metaphor because the saying is 'one bad apple can spoil the barrel'.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, 0xdeadbeef said:

I think everyone can agree that cops do good/great things at times.

The problem is virtually all  cops will lie to back their 'brothers'. That can take the form of filing a false report, turning a blind eye, staying silent, or even covering up mistakes.   

Until we have real police reform that includes lifetime LEO bans, losing pensions, and enforced criminal penalties for lying cops, they are simply untrustworthy.

'Bad apple' is a very fitting metaphor because the saying is 'one bad apple can spoil the barrel'.  

I’m not disagreeing with you on the bad apples. I just do not believe all of them are rotten. I see a lot of people back their own in families, gangs, in all sorts of professions. Especially in government.  Granted most of those don’t have that kind of power. Some non-cops though do a lot of damage and many back their own. It’s human nature. Imagine how few things cops would have to do if families took care of the bad apples in their own backyard? 

Not making light of what you are saying. Bad apples suck. And should be removed from duty posthaste. Yes you have to clean the rot out. And yes it’s dangerous because they are in power. Yes it’s their job and duty to work for us and do no harm to us and protect us. I’m get what you are saying even though it takes me forever to get to my point and brevity is not my thing and I often have a difficult time expressing my full point.

i just don’t believe bad apples spoil the whole barrel bc if that’s true almost every family in America is just as rotten. Truth. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

My sister and BiL are ER nurses.   I think it’s fair to count them as first responders in regional catastrophes.

I know they participate in emergency drills with firefighters and paramedics.

I worked 25 years in the field as a paramedic....went back to school got my RN. Went to work in ER's for the next 5

Do not put ER nurses in with first responders, there is no comparison. Flight nurses yes

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hpara759 said:

Do not put ER nurses in with first responders

But, from what I know of ER nurses, and I've worked with several on tangential matters over the years: they are in-command badass adrenaline junkies who project some serious power.  And as the ones I knew were all women....all of that made them incredibly sexy.

So, there's that to take into account.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 officer shot in Independence, Missouri. Warrant situations from the cops I have met are one of the most dangerous times. That and DV situations. You never know when the abused person might come at you like a spider monkey. Way to make a bad situation worse for yourself. You have a warrant let’s make it ten times worse. People are fucking stupid. Hope the officers will be ok.

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/wireStory/2-officers-shot-wounded-independence-missouri-police-107691961

• Hook 'Em 1

Thank you for this thread. When I was young and dumb many years ago, I thought like many that cops were only out to get us. And it is true there are rotten apples in the barrel. But we have many more good police officers out there. It's good that they are getting their recognition.

Ain't nothing perfect, but I am thankful for the many policemen, firemen, EMT's, ER nurses that step up every day for our safety. 

God Bless them!

• Hook 'Em 4

Cody Allen, 35, an Independence police officer, husband and father of two small children, was shot and killed Thursday. 

Independence Police Chief Adam Dustman praised Allen’s “heroic actions” after a civil process server called for help during an eviction.

A Jackson County civil process server, identified as Drexel Mack, was also shot and killed.

https://amp.kansascity.com/news/local/article286104501.html

Killed trying to save a civil processor who was also killed. Suspect got evicted alright. To fucking jail where his dumb ass belongs. 

IMG_9676.jpeg

On 3/4/2024 at 11:55 AM, Nicole44 said:

He’s not a first responder but he’s a hero in my book. Saved an 80 year old man being attacked. 

Braylon just tryna get some good karma going after the crimes he committed against the Texas secondary in the 2005 Rose Bowl.

(Yes, I know our 'Horns won but that guy had a DAY.)

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Deej said:

"Windy Deuce"? Sounds like something that belongs in the shart thread.

Windy Deuce Fire sounds like a shart thread topic regarding the consequences of participating in a hot wing competition.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Deej said:

"Windy Deuce"? Sounds like something that belongs in the shart thread.

It sounds like a bar. I’m thinking of the Double Deuce maybe.

i wish someone would start a thread on bar fights. If you were in a bar fight, what song would you want to be playing in the background? 

On 2/23/2024 at 9:35 AM, DigglerontheHoof said:

Firemen, paramedics, nurses and doctors?  

Betting All In GIF

Cops?

Animated GIF

The firefighters I know are real shitheads. Real arrogant meatheads. But as far as I know they do manage to put out the three major fires a year that happen and haven't killed anyone for flinching at the wrong time.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

On 2/20/2024 at 9:40 PM, StassneyHorn said:

Most Austin firefighters that come teach at the academy love to tell you how much they make in overtime to sit around and not be firefighters but janitors.

Wut?

On 3/5/2024 at 6:36 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

Braylon just tryna get some good karma going after the crimes he committed against the Texas secondary in the 2005 Rose Bowl.

(Yes, I know our 'Horns won but that guy had a DAY.)

He may have had as many yards receiving as Vince did in total.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 'stache said:

The firefighters I know are real shitheads. Real arrogant meatheads. But as far as I know they do manage to put out the three major fires a year that happen and haven't killed anyone for flinching at the wrong time.

Well, yeah, any profession is gonna have some of those guys & girls, and of course I worked with some during my career. 3 major fires a year? Where are you located? We have a helluva lot more than that in a typical couple of weeks in Austin.

On 2/23/2024 at 12:32 PM, Hpara759 said:

I worked 25 years in the field as a paramedic....went back to school got my RN. Went to work in ER's for the next 5

Do not put ER nurses in with first responders, there is no comparison. Flight nurses yes

Yeah every flight nurse I ever met during my career was a total badass. Sadly, one that I met is no longer with us, having fallen from Star Flight years back during a rescue attempt at Barton Creek. And damn, 25 years Paramedic-ing and then back for more in the ER? My hat is off to you!

15 hours ago, F250 said:

There are civic workers that literally clean up our mess and never get any love despite preventing the collapse of civilization every day. They also manage to do this without being abusive assholes like cops.

Shout out to the people that literally get rid of our shit and keep the water drinkable.

Also, power plant workers and linemen work to keep the power running when the rest of us are bitching in the ERCOT thread. The linemen in particular are climbing utility poles in extreme heat and cold or right after a hurricane just knocked a bunch of lines down. Sometimes these people die while on the job and get zero recognition.

Unfortunately, society doesn't appreciate these workers. Well, Glenn Campbell had that one song "Witchita Lineman."

Yeah working at fire dispatch/CTECC the last few years of my career really let me see how even in Austin the city never really sleeps and takes 'round the clock maintenance to continue working reasonably well. There are people out working on it, and people coordinating all of that 24 hours a day. PD, FD, SO, EMS, TxDOT, Water, Electric, TxGas, Street & Bridge, Solid Waste, Animal Control, and a lot more.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

He may have had as many yards receiving as Vince did in total.

I still maintain that VY's performance that day was as good as his 2006 RB performance. Maybe better, but of course, that's another topic. Might make a good thread, actually, I guess. And yeah, Edwards was a fucking monster in that game as well.

Edited by wood