Texas Primaries

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Was talking with a friend who runs the Texas Polling Project about this awhile back.  How sometimes the party line is "all these coastal, liberal elites are moving to Texas and trying to undermine our political values, etc."  And then the next day, it's ""All these conservative folks are fleeing oppressive blue state governments to come to Texas and enjoy Liberty."  And his team was trying to sort out a poll to get some decent statistical analysis of what was actually happening, and he's s stickler for details.  And after a few weeks of trying to read into the bullshit narrative of our state leadership, finally just said, "Fuck it" and moved on...

don't know him well personally, but know a few who do - he's a good dude and they do excellent work.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, bonnieblue said:

Well fuck. Anyone know how easy it is to move states as a partner at a big law firm? It’s easy … right?

If you're a lady, as your username and handle indicate you MIGHT be, well, you can probably make a pretty good case that you insist on moving states because of reproductive rights and medical care for women that are increasingly difficult to get in Texas, assuming you're still young enough to have kids, which again, I'll assume from your avatar. They'd probably hear that can of worms and absolutely be supportive of your move.

If you're a dude and already a partner, isn't the answer just that you do whatever you want?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Are Democrats allowed to participate in the runoff?

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I believe they cannot if they voted in the Dem primary the first go-round.

This is the correct answer.  The only registered voters who cannot vote in the R runoff are those who voted in the D primary.

Man, my voting record is about the equivalent of Kansas football. For Austin stuff I lean conservative (well the more conservative option). For state/federal stuff, it's Dem all the way.

Maybe the only time I've ever voted and the person I voted for won is with Watson for mayor and Biden for president?

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

For those with elderly parents and kids, these become the reason that many middle aged people end up staying in a location effectively forever. Their elderly parents will never leave, and then eventually you want to be near the kids/grandkids. The cycle perpetuates itself.

If one young-ish parent has a desire to leave Texas, the best path is to convince your kid to go to college out of state. Preferably not in an adjoining state. They live in another state, get married and have kids. 

My wife and I married late in life - mid 60s with 16 year old twins (IVF, of course).  My early almost-time-to-get-serious-about-college-plans comments have suggested/encouraged looking at locations that are more politically and climate change friendly than Houston.  With every election, that gets closer to simply commanding "get the fuck out of here!"  My and my wife's parents are deceased, with no strong remaining ties to Houston (or Texas).  We likely retire by the time the kids finish college.  Nothing holding us here.  I hope the kids settle somewhere I'd like to live....

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

Consider it the Second Law of Sociological Thermodynamics. It takes constant work to organize mankind in a way that bucks the trend of increasing fascist entropy.

This guy gets it.

Entropy, regression, reversal, going backward, terrified of tomorrow, fighting against the future. Luddites ... Unabomber ... MAGA-GQP ... anti-science ... religious fanatics/holy warriors (all-stripes) ... endless dystopian scenarios in Sc-Fi. The goal is always to GO BACKWARD ... into the past ... toward a mythical yesterday ... living in state of nature ... the good ole days of alleged spiritual purity ... worshipping the sacred texts, etc. There shall be no progress or anything that challenges the oral myths, ancient scrolls, sacred texts! It's being going on for centuries.

-- In the USA, it has always been present in the SEC Deep South and the deeply religious. Across America, it has picked up steam in the aftermath of Apollo moon landings (the peak of scientific reverence in America) and the evangelical revivalism in the 1970s.

Hell, didn't any of y'all see or read Fight Club? Tyler Durden and the Space Monkeys are the fascists of the non-future. As Durden prophesied:

"You’ll hunt elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center, and dig clams next to the skeleton of the Space Needle leaning at a forty-five degree angle. . . . You’ll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life, and you’ll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. Jack and the beanstalk, you’ll climb up through the dripping forest canopy and the air will be so clean you’ll see tiny figures pounding corn and laying strips of venison to dry in the empty carpool lane of an abandoned superhighway stretching eight lanes wide and August-hot for a thousand miles. This was the goal of Project Mayhem, Tyler said, the complete and utter destruction of civilization."

I can see the kudzu vines swinging from Reunion Tower in Big D. Crosses atop the ruined decaying skyscrapers, lots of visions are easy to imagine in Texas.

MAGA and GQP are little different than the Space Monkeys and Project Mayhem, with the addition of the religious fanaticism.

Donald Trump is their Tyler Durden! 

FightClub.jpg

Edited by BevoAbyss

3 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

My friend, Mrs.LL and I will be joining you in NYC in just a few years.  I have to get the youngest out of the house and safely into college (she's in 7th Grade now).  But once that's done, I can get the fuck out of this shithole and never fucking look back.

And by the way, I'm a 6th Generation Texan.  Saying that pains me.  But then I remember that one set of great-grandparents were Nth Generation Czechs; another set of ancestors were once Nth Generation English.  But they all figured out at some point that they needed to leave the shithole they were in to seek their entertainment and fortunes elsewhere.  And it won't take six more generations for my descendants to wonder "why the fuck did our family ever live in Texas?"

Yay!  I am still sad I missed you guys when you came up in Jan.  

I can recommend Sutton Place as a neighborhood that is central but quiet.  

On my dad's side, I am only a 3rd generation Texan, but on my mom's side, I am at least 5th generation, possibly 6th, but Smith is a common name.  I have a much better lifestyle here in NYC than I ever did in Houston

My wife and I have nothing tying us down here. After she gets through her principal cert we are moving to Colorado or Chicago area. Maybe Washington State so we can flee if need be lol. I remember asking my Modern French history professor at KU whether or not the Nazis could happen here and he unequivocally said no chance. This was like 2005 or so. There was a real cult of European liberalism and democracy back then. As a scholar of modern Germany as well as a teacher of AP US History and AP Euro I have seen and worried about the parallels for a long time. Any scholar of African American studies or the South/West knows that America hasn't been the liberal democratic paradise the white middle and upper middle class left have led us to believe. And it's gonna be too late for them once it actually happens. They're not ready for it and will have no clue what to do. The rich will do what they always do which is to flee somewhere else. But tons of people are gonna be stuck in the middle of it. Some you thought were super liberal will begin siding with the oppressors. It's depressing to even think about but I kind of just dgaf anymore.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, usmc0331horn said:

My wife and I have nothing tying us down here. After she gets through her principal cert we are moving to Colorado or Chicago area. Maybe Washington State so we can flee if need be lol. I remember asking my Modern French history professor at KU whether or not the Nazis could happen here and he unequivocally said no chance. This was like 2005 or so. There was a real cult of European liberalism and democracy back then. As a scholar of modern Germany as well as a teacher of AP US History and AP Euro I have seen and worried about the parallels for a long time. Any scholar of African American studies or the South/West knows that America hasn't been the liberal democratic paradise the white middle and upper middle class left have led us to believe. And it's gonna be too late for them once it actually happens. They're not ready for it and will have no clue what to do. The rich will do what they always do which is to flee somewhere else. But tons of people are gonna be stuck in the middle of it. Some you thought were super liberal will begin siding with the oppressors. It's depressing to even think about but I kind of just dgaf anymore.

There's one thing I do give a fuck about, and I've made it clear: I don't want my son coming back here and being pressed into military service in the event of a civil war.  I don't care for what side.  Enough of us have chosen shittiness that this place just isn't worth him fighting and dying for.

Maybe this country WAS worth fighting and dying for at one point.  I grew up thinking it was.  But today?  Nope.  If we are intent on taking ourselves to hell, we can do it without me and my family on board that train.  Good luck.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

There's one thing I do give a fuck about, and I've made it clear: I don't want my son coming back here and being pressed into military service in the event of a civil war.  I don't care for what side.  Enough of us have chosen shittiness that this place just isn't worth him fighting and dying for.

Maybe this country WAS worth fighting and dying for at one point.  I grew up thinking it was.  But today?  Nope.  If we are intent on taking ourselves to hell, we can do it without me and my family on board that train.  Good luck.

i'm 46 and am quite glad I never had kids. I only have to worry about us for the most part.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

But that's what I don't understand. The more money you have, the more you should be interested in running the state the correct way. So you know, you keep making money. But these fuckers are hellbent on destroying everything...

At that stage it's not about the money, it's about the power high.  Think Trading Places.  image.png.dcc69b21620f529b524881b7b342436e.png

14 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

The dumbest fucking people alive ….

Bexar County came dangerously close to this process too.  Cannot imagine the clusterfuck that would have been.  The votes have to be counted by a certain number of hours after the polls close, 24 I think.   Not sure what happens if they don't.  This whole hand count never made much sense, since they could only force counties to hand count in the primaries, not the general.  Maybe they figured if they could catch enough irregularities in the primaries they could force some sort of change?

13 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Can we at least fire Gilbert Hinojosa (who? state Dem chair) into the sun and start getting serious about voter engagement??

This.

• Hook 'Em 1

We're looking into exit plans from Oklahoma much sooner than we had initially planned for. My oldest is in college in-state, so I'm pushing her to get her degree and get the fuck out of here. She's an anthropology / history major and wants to do field work. Gotta be somewhere north of the Mason / Dixon Line that offers.

Our youngest is in 5th grade and has really settled into a friend group. I fucking hate ripping that away. When I was kid, we moved to a different state every 2-1/2 years chasing the patch until I was 15 or 16 and we were in Oklahoma. It sucks for a kid to have to start over, especially at the tween / young teen age, and somewhere as wildly unfamiliar as Michigan or Massachusetts or Washington state.

That being said, neither my kids or wife are protected under the laws of Oklahoma. Some of the crazier bills never made it out of committee this turn, but banning birth-control is still alive and kicking. And there's only the promise of more crazy coming down the pike.  Hard to justify staying, even for short-term emotional stability.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Well as much I give people guff for boasting about what generation Texan they are, the one thing they have zero involvement in...I will give you credit for my new band name, "The Nth Generation Czechs."  We're kind of a bluegrass meets polka thing.  

I am just utterly torn.  I want  to stay and improve this place.  My kids love it here.  Wife claims she wouldn't leave because family is somewhat closeby in Fort Worth and Kansas but they're all fucking denial that this is all going to get far worse before it gets any better.  And we have two young girls and every goddamn fucking turn, it's just about punishing women for being women.  And many women are in on it, but for another thread I suppose.  I honestly think we'd go to another country before we went to another state.  Can't afford California, hate the rest of the warm states.  Maybe Hawaii?  I can get a permanent visa to Costa Rica or Portugal through family.  We have right of return status on my mother's side to Israel but obviously not an ideal conversation to have with the wife right now given the situation (and I totally get that).  But my wife just doesn't see what's coming.  She's too optimistic and too sweet and too forgiving of people.  I get upending the only home and life our girls have ever known for political reasons seems bizarre.  But then, her family left Russia for Germany during a Catholic Purge.  I had some relatives that left Europe for being Jews and on the other side, others were conscripted to serve in the Kriegsmarine for the Reich.  I don't want my children to have to make choices like that. 

Let's not be dramatic.  We're not there yet.  But it sure as shit feels like we're at the thing that gets us to the thing.

I’m with you. I’m sixth generation and always said I would die here with my boots on, even if my kids chose to leave. But it’s close. The Big Texas we grew up with - big grins, loud laughter, helping hands and open hearts -  it doesn’t don’t exist anymore. My girls weren’t alive to experience that Texas, and what’s left just feels too damn small. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Can we at least fire Gilbert Hinojosa (who? state Dem chair) into the sun and start getting serious about voter engagement??

I think part of the problem is no one else wants to do it (take on the role, I mean-I’m sure you can find plenty who’d happily fire him).  

I hate to bash Beto but there’s a case to be made that he’d have been a far more dangerous AG candidate than governor.  Until you can mount some kind of state wide victory you’re going to be working against the leftover Ann Richards brigade and whose corpses run the state party.  

That said, if Lina Hidalgo wants to take that next step and doesn’t use it for something Federal she could do it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Will be interesting to see how many one issue voters arise out of this for public education. My uncle is a huge MAGA guy, his mind didn't move at all on the gun issue after Sutherland Springs when members of his own extended family were involved, but he has been a band directorfor 30+ year all over NW Harris Co but he's smart enough to know the first thing that gets cut in public education is the arts.

@slorch from your posts I always figured you were a big advocate for public education (apologies if I'm misremembering). Would the results of yesterday give you pause to vote for a R state house member that is pro voucher or state senator?  Also, anyone who jumps on him for the answer is a loser and not invited to my birthday party

4 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I think part of the problem is no one else wants to do it (take on the role, I mean-I’m sure you can find plenty who’d happily fire him).  

I hate to bash Beto but there’s a case to be made that he’d have been a far more dangerous AG candidate than governor.  Until you can mount some kind of state wide victory you’re going to be working against the leftover Ann Richards brigade and whose corpses run the state party.  

That said, if Lina Hidalgo wants to take that next step and doesn’t use it for something Federal she could do it.  

Lina is a good suggestion.  Hinojosa started as a judge. 

8 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Will be interesting to see how many one issue voters arise out of this for public education. My uncle is a huge MAGA guy, his mind didn't move at all on the gun issue after Sutherland Springs when members of his own extended family were involved, but he has been a band directorfor 30+ year all over NW Harris Co but he's smart enough to know the first thing that gets cut in public education is the arts.

@slorch from your posts I always figured you were a big advocate for public education (apologies if I'm misremembering). Would the results of yesterday give you pause to vote for a R state house member that is pro voucher or state senator?  Also, anyone who jumps on him for the answer is a loser and not invited to my birthday party

Your memory is correct.  Yes, the issue absolutely gives me pause.  I'm not a single-issue voter; but I feel there are few issues that have a greater impact on social mobility/ raising the floor of our society.  Fuck yeah, it gives me pause.  

5 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Lina is a good suggestion.  Hinojosa started as a judge. 

Lina had a better future than the thankless useless job of running the TDP

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

What is the expectation of Gilbert Hinojosa? The whipping boy status needs to be put out there. Given no credit for '18 from the board, YUGE tangible increases in '16 and '20 participation. '12 was dismal after 6 months on the job, '14 was not good for abortion barbie label. '22 was a push.

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

Abbott / Patrick / Paxton have a plan to take Texas to the extreme right

buckle up 

Oh honey no, Texas is already there.  They don't need the plan.  This state is lost. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Oh honey no, Texas is already there.  They don't need the plan.  This state is lost. 

It has only just begun. The chef’s kiss will be trump appointing a justice to replace a liberal justice 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Lina had a better future than the thankless useless job of running the TDP

I actually wasn’t proposing that-I meant run for a state-wide office and win it.

Whoever is first on the Dem side to do so is going to wield an enormous amount of power over what the next iteration of the state party looks like (for one they are going to have built a parallel organization that will likely BECOME the state party in order to win in the first place).  

This might be wishful thinking on my part but I would hope the money would follow.  

13 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

What is the expectation of Gilbert Hinojosa? The whipping boy status needs to be put out there. Given no credit for '18 from the board, YUGE tangible increases in '16 and '20 participation. '12 was dismal after 6 months on the job, '14 was not good for abortion barbie label. '22 was a push.

His two main jobs, in my opinion, are to fundraise and recruit candidates for office and he’s very weak at both. 

His second job (and that of the state board) is to articulate a vision that appeals to TEXAS voters (regardless of what’s going on nationally).  In this they’ve regard they are particularly terrible.  

Finally, with what limited resources they do have they should be trying to a) using Texas as a laboratory and b) trying build up the county chairs.  I think they are risk averse and kind of lazy overall and have been hoping that demographics and urban centers would save us and it’s clearly not happening.  

• Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I think they are risk averse and kind of lazy overall and have been hoping that demographics and urban centers would save us and it’s clearly not happening.  

It's also a failure to adapt to the GOP moving further and further to the right. In the past, the GOP tried to play for the center. After 2012, that hasn't been the case but the TDP is still strategizing as if the only political lesson ever to be learned was taught in 2004.

And what the hell is Nordberg doing in Detroit?  Well, get him some new pants then l.

(checks notes). Abbott literally sending people of color by bus to Detroit.  Okay, enjoy the rest of the simulation before they reboot us fuckers! 

3 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

It's also a failure to adapt to the GOP moving further and further to the right. In the past, the GOP tried to play for the center. After 2012, that hasn't been the case but the TDP is still strategizing as if the only political lesson ever to be learned was taught in 2004.

Not that anyone asked my advice, but one message I would be spending every state dollar I could beg would be “Republicans-bad for business.”

They’ve got to crack that messaging nut because there’s just not enough of the 2020 Biden constituency groups here where (to your point) rallying them wins a state election.

30 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Guys, if the nerds can win the frat Olympics, Dems can sweep Texas state-wide races. It's like y'all learned nothing from Hollywood.

Do we have to commit sexual assault in the process?

I don't really want to do that.

13 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I actually wasn’t proposing that-I meant run for a state-wide office and win it.

Whoever is first on the Dem side to do so is going to wield an enormous amount of power over what the next iteration of the state party looks like (for one they are going to have built a parallel organization that will likely BECOME the state party in order to win in the first place).  

This might be wishful thinking on my part but I would hope the money would follow.  

His two main jobs, in my opinion, are to fundraise and recruit candidates for office and he’s very weak at both. 

His second job (and that of the state board) is to articulate a vision that appeals to TEXAS voters (regardless of what’s going on nationally).  In this they’ve regard they are particularly terrible.  

Finally, with what limited resources they do have they should be trying to a) using Texas as a laboratory and b) trying build up the county chairs.  I think they are risk averse and kind of lazy overall and have been hoping that demographics and urban centers would save us and it’s clearly not happening.  

The problem is we basically have two Democratic parties in Texas. There's the South of I-10 party, and the North of I-10 party. The "Big" party keeps expecting Hispanics to turn the tide and turn Texas purple, but in every primary for statewide office, we tell their preferred candidate to get fucked in the primary in favor of the darling of the National party.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Do we have to commit sexual assault in the process?

I don't really want to do that.

I know, right.  I don't want to commit sexual assault.  I mean, I don't even WANT to become a youth pastor!

23 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

It would help tremendously if the TDP stopped assuming Democratic-leaning voters won't vote for Democrats if candidates move to the left.

7 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

The problem is we basically have two Democratic parties in Texas. There's the South of I-10 party, and the North of I-10 party. The "Big" party keeps expecting Hispanics to turn the tide and turn Texas purple, but in every primary for statewide office, we tell their preferred candidate to get fucked in the primary in favor of the darling of the National party.  

As long as I’m shitting on Democratic organizations I should probably hit Travis County, too.  They are appear to be well-run, have enormous local support, and would potentially be the ideal county organization for grooming the next generation of statewide office holders.  

However, to get there you’ve got to sit people on the council, at the county, on school boards, etc., and they are terribly captive to careerists like Watson, Celia Israel, and Brigid Shea.  I don’t have a problem with any of those people politically but they need to step aside so someone else can/must get some experience.  

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It would help tremendously if the TDP stopped assuming Democratic-leaning voters won't vote for Democrats if candidates move to the left.

That's what i mean when i say they're paralyzed by the fear of being called liberals and socialists. They could run Mitt Romney and would still get called communists.

I had to switch careers when I left Texas. O&G isn’t a thing in WNC. It wasn’t easy at all, especially in my 40s, but I’m glad I uprooted myself. Leaving friends and family was hard too. But as someone previously mentioned, you either rip the bandaid off or stay in the same place forever. Parents, Kids, Jobs, these things will always be there, telling you to stay put. 

Of course if Robinson is elected Governor here, might need to move again

Just now, Neonmoon said:

I had to switch careers when I left Texas. O&G isn’t a thing in WNC. It wasn’t easy at all, especially in my 40s, but I’m glad I uprooted myself. Leaving friends and family was hard too. But as someone previously mentioned, you either rip the bandaid off or stay in the same place forever. Parents, Kids, Jobs, these things will always be there, telling you to stay put. 

Of course if Robinson is elected Governor here, might need to move again

Is there hope in NC?

This thread is really stressing me the fuck out. My wife and I both have ancestors that fought for Texas' independence, our family roots have been in Texas for generations on generations. This state is our home.

But our home is fucking infested with goddamn fascists. We are having a daughter in a month and a half or so, and I can't imagine her coming of age in this handmaiden's tale-to-be of a state. Education is absolutely shattered and being targeted for privatization, women's rights are being rolled back - not to mention women's health outcomes are worst in the nation, and our state is hurtling towards a fundamentalist evangelical theocracy.

And to top it all off - more than half the fucking state thinks that the above is a GOOD thing and that saying negative things about it is just another expression of team sports/politics. Our enemies are too goddamn stupid and up their own asses to see the terrible and completely avoidable calamity that this state is hurtling towards.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Is there hope in NC?

I’ve seen polling that shows it being close. Which beats showing Robinson leading 

Glenn Rogers says bye

I am not a good politician. I am just a Texas rancher who wanted to make a difference in my community. Who knew this simple mission would have resulted in three brutal campaigns?

Throughout my three campaigns, because of my unwillingness to be compliant with the two billionaire, “Christian” Nationalist, power brokers that run this state, I have been unmercifully slandered through the politics of unwarranted personal destruction on social media, radio, post mail, streaming sites, and cable television.

https://www.weatherforddemocrat.com/opinion/rogers-ill-wear-no-mans-collar/article_62c2c326-dbd9-11ee-bffc-bf52e1a4654c.html

• Hook 'Em 3