What is a Christian nationalist?

Boss Hogg

8 minutes ago, Smax said:

A Texas Dem speaks some truth, unfortunately I feel those that need to HEAR this, wont or will just dismiss and walk away thinking stupid lib

I knew you were talking about James Talarico when I read your sentence, but before the tweet had loaded on the page. 

10 minutes ago, Smax said:

A Texas Dem speaks some truth, unfortunately I feel those that need to HEAR this, wont or will just dismiss and walk away thinking stupid lib

I’m sure this was recorded from the regular St. Andrew’s Sunday service but it’s missing a crowd shot of the six parishioners in attendance, five of whom are senior citizens and the other a driver from the assisted care facility.  

But, at least he got something to publish to YouTube and X, so kudos I guess for taking a stand….

Christian Nationalism is inherently contradictory. Don’t trust me, trust the source material for Christians. Y’all might want to also read up on the consequences of denying truth, because that is possibly the only deadly sin.

It is disquieting, this wholesale abandonment of truth. Made more so by this eschatological component of evangelicals. Which supposedly includes a biblically scaled delusion, amplifying the “father of lies,” and yet sent by God,

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 6:20 PM, Brisketexan said:

"Newsflash - Hitler already tried his bullshit.  He got shut down and sent to prison.  The government handled him just fine.  Warning that he's coming back, and will seize complete power and implement the exact vengeful and brutal agenda he's been promising is just fear-mongering."

Read.  The fucking.  Playbook.  You fucking asshole.  Fascism doesn't get it done on the first try.  It probes, it fails.  Then, it comes back....wins....and does EXACTLY WHAT IT SAYS IT WANTS TO DO.  LISTEN TO WHAT TRUMP AND HIS LACKEYS SAY THEY WANT TO DO.  THAT IS WHAT THEY WILL DO.

Fucking assholes like you are EXACTLY how the world ended up with murderous fascism last century.  But you seem to think that EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED LAST TIME won't happen this time, for....reasons.  Mostly the reason of "because I want to keep voting for the fascists, so I need to rationalize it away."  Sorry, fucker.  You vote for people who say "hey, we definitely intend to do nazi shit," then you're a fucking nazi.

nathan fillion castle GIF

1 hour ago, Willfully Horn said:

Christian Nationalism is inherently contradictory. Don’t trust me, trust the source material for Christians. Y’all might want to also read up on the consequences of denying truth, because that is possibly the only deadly sin.

It is disquieting, this wholesale abandonment of truth. Made more so by this eschatological component of evangelicals. Which supposedly includes a biblically scaled delusion, amplifying the “father of lies,” and yet sent by God,

I'd like to know what these Christian nationalists are.  Are they Southern Baptists (seems like a lot of them come from that group) or are they are mix of various branches of Christianity?

Because if they are a mix, there's no way in hell they'd all agree on how Christianity should be taught or enforced.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'd like to know what these Christian nationalists are.  Are they Southern Baptists (seems like a lot of them come from that group) or are they are mix of various branches of Christianity?

Because if they are a mix, there's no way in hell they'd all agree on how Christianity should be taught or enforced.

A common theme among fundagelicals is congregationalism. Meaning in this application that the individual congregation manages its own affairs, including deciding its own theology. 

Although certainly not infallible, those denominations with a more episcopal polity, that is, a hierarchy of governance, tend to be less extreme and more nuanced in their deeper beliefs and the hierarchy tends to exert a moderating influence.

Congregationalism seems to be the most direct path to fundamentalist extremism in all the worlds religions. Judaism being a somewhat notable exception, probably given their strong tendency toward academicism among clergy and even lay members. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

A common theme among fundagelicals is congregationalism. Meaning in this application that the individual congregation manages its own affairs, including deciding its own theology. 

Although certainly not infallible, those denominations with a more episcopal polity, that is, a hierarchy of governance, tend to be less extreme and more nuanced in their deeper beliefs and the hierarchy tends to exert a moderating influence.

Congregationalism seems to be the most direct path to fundamentalist extremism in all the worlds religions. Judaism being a somewhat notable exception, probably given their strong tendency toward academicism among clergy and even lay members. 

Very good point. While the connectional system can fail spectacularly from time to time (see Marcial Maciel and the RCC) it makes it less likely that a chaos agent like Cardinal Raymond Burke could ever successfully destroy the Church because of multiplicity of safeguards built into the RCC’s infrastructure.

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

What twice said. And even among congregations you’ll have some in cities like Austin that while conservative they would not be as overtly hate filled - more of a liberalish “love the sinner hate the sin” as opposed to rural congregation that is filled with trumpers.

So IMO, it’s really the convergence the Trump, rural, Q mindset with Congregationalism that allows these views to take over those churches.  

I would also add in many cases these churches are taken over even from a leadership perspective - and these examples are often displayed on social media for us to see and cry or laugh at - but I would hazard to guess based on my inside experience that often leadership is tacitly approving such horrific positions through pulpit silence so as to not alienate the congregation because the only source of financial support is the congregation.  After all money and the power it buys is a universal truth. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, troph said:

I would also add in many cases these churches are taken over even from a leadership perspective - and these examples are often displayed on social media for us to see and cry or laugh at

Like this nonsense 

f_webp

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

well there's your cowboy churches, your suburban megachurches, probably an electric guitar or some local celebrity musician, and a coffee shop at church. 

basically any non catholic white christians in america. sorry american protestants this is all your fault. 

WhErE aRe AlL tHe MoDeRaTe PrOtEsTaNtS aNd WhY ArEnT tHeY lOuDeR iN CoNdEmNaTiOn

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Like this nonsense 

f_webp

For every church that has that nonsense there are hundreds nothing like that but still filled with Christian nationalists. There are plenty of churches that won’t say trumps name but want abortion outlawed nationally, want Ten Commandments on the walls on schools, think us “homos fags and queers” are a symptom of social decay due to removing Jesus from the center of public life, want leaders to be Christian and to govern from a biblical view. That’s a garden variety Christian nationalist viewpoint and it’s wildly prevalent in congregations. Those churches may not even mention Trump but they vote R in lock step. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

well there's your cowboy churches, your suburban megachurches, probably an electric guitar or some local celebrity musician, and a coffee shop at church. 

basically any non catholic white christians in america. sorry american protestants this is all your fault. 

I was going to say the pic atom used is probably not a cowboy church but a similar idea. There are some “rad” cowboy churches out there but those are filled with live and let live types to begin with that started a cowboy church because they were tired of judgment and rigidity. But for everyone of those there are there are some dangerous ones too - I bet in places like Idaho and Michigan they are more militia churches. The fact is these churches probably don’t form the extreme views of the Christian nationalist viewpoint but they certainly provide the space for them to proliferate. 

So in a strict sense probably not but practically speaking - yes it is the non-liturgical Protestant movement’s fault 100%

Edited by troph

2 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

WhErE aRe AlL tHe MoDeRaTe PrOtEsTaNtS aNd WhY ArEnT tHeY lOuDeR iN CoNdEmNaTiOn

Happy Easter! The resurrection of the son, aligned with the resurrection of the sun, imbued with the magic of transformation! And chocolate eggs!

Louder? Don’t you Quaker, bro?

image.png.e8b79cc2d689111fb5abbb8c64d6bf92.png

image.png.9e4b6d68de72b179f8c03ce520c8514d.png

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2015/12/21/where-christian-churches-stand-on-gay-marriage/

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2016/06/21/where-major-religious-groups-stand-on-abortion/ft_16-06-22_churchabortion/

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Happy Easter! The resurrection of the son, aligned with the resurrection of the sun, imbued with the magic of transformation! And chocolate eggs!

They always told me to watch out for those Missouri Synod Lutherans. 

• Haha 2
  • Prepare your anus 1

image.png.9e4b6d68de72b179f8c03ce520c8514d.png
https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2015/12/21/where-christian-churches-stand-on-gay-marriage/

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2016/06/21/where-major-religious-groups-stand-on-abortion/ft_16-06-22_churchabortion/
And none of the religions mentioned should have any part in deciding public policy. @Willfully Horn isn't arguing that of course, but if you're wondering what a Christian Nationalist is... it's a person that wants to give that power to their church while denying that power to other churches.
They always told me to watch out for those Missouri Synod Lutherans. 
They're assholes. No really.
  • Hook 'Em 5

34 minutes ago, tchookem said:

but if you're wondering what a Christian Nationalist is... it's a person that wants to give that power to their church while denying that power to other churches.

1234.  I can guarantee that “Christian nationalists” in Texas have no intention  of letting Catholics decide things, even if they are the Governor of Texas (and Abbott’s wife is not only the granddaughter of Mexicans, her maiden name is Phalen so she’s probably related to that filthy libtard Dade Phalen). 

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

1234.  I can guarantee that “Christian nationalists” in Texas have no intention  of letting Catholics decide things, even if they are the Governor of Texas (and Abbott’s wife is not only the granddaughter of Mexicans, her maiden name is Phalen so she’s probably related to that filthy libtard Dade Phalen). 

Catholics are the majority in Texas too, bet most southern baptists have no idea that given the current trend one day in the future a guy in a funny hat who lives in Rome might be calling the shots in Texas.

So wrap things up for the slow, the current Texas governor bends the knee to a yankee carpet bagger in Pennsylvania and soon to the Pope, Oh my has the great proud state of Texas fallen 

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Captainant said:

crossposting from the abortion thread, because hot damn that's christian nationalism at work

I love people speaking in tongues.   Scared the shit out of me as a kid, but these days, it’s fucking hilarious.  They all know it’s fake,  yet they all keep the charade up because they are better Christians than others.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I love people speaking in tongues.   Scared the shit out of me as a kid, but these days, it’s fucking hilarious.  They all know it’s fake,  yet they all keep the charade up because they are better Christians than others.

I had plenty of speaking and other vocal expression caused by tongues at church camp....

• Drool 1

This is Christian Nationalism, and it is oh so very fucking dangerous.

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick pushes pastors to run for political office
During a private meeting at Ed Young's Second Baptist Church in Houston, dozens of right-wing Christians strategized how to win seats in the 2024 elections.

As millions of Texans prepared to stare at the sky Monday to glimpse the total solar eclipse, Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick joined his pastor Ed Young in a prayer circle at Houston's Second Baptist Church, where they embraced conservative kingmakers and called for pastors and believers to run for office. 

"If we don't win in 2024, we lose this nation," Patrick said ahead of the November elections, while standing on a small stage at the church's massive Woodway campus. "Today, it is a battle of darkness and light. There are people who pray to God, believe in God, raise their families in God's work and there are people over here who don't believe in God and want to kick God out. They hate God. That's the battle we're in."

Patrick, a longtime member of the SBC-affiliated megachurch and one of the most powerful Republicans in Texas, attended the pastor's private luncheon organized by the American Renewal Project (ARP), a group founded by anti-gay Dallas political operative David Lane. The ARP has enlisted North Carolina's GOP Lt. Gov. Mark Robinson to recruit and train clergy and congregants to win seats on local school boards, city councils, county commissions and on the state legislature. The project's Houston meeting represented the first of 20 gatherings across Texas. 

"We need America to get out of the chaos and come back to peace," said Patrick, who called North Carolina's Robinson a friend. "Whether its pastors or just believers, they need to stand up and either run for office, support people running for office…" and register citizens to vote in elections. 

Patrick drew applause for praising anti-abortion state and federal laws and for verbalizing anti-immigration rhetoric alleging that "millions" of people including "criminals, sex offenders, and child abusers" were crossing the U.S.-Mexico border. He also claimed the Biden administration refused to do anything to stop the border "chaos" because migrants mean future Democratic voters. 

"I'd rather be kicked out of office for my positions than kicked out of Heaven for my positions," Patrick said. "Vote me into office and vote me into Heaven." The speech a little more than a month after Pastor Young delivered a ranting sermon during which he referred to migrants coming into Texas as "undesirables," "garbage" and "raff" and suggesting that the United States is already "lost through foolishness." Ahead of the 2022 midterm elections, Young referred to the Democratic Party as "some kind of religion that is basically godless" and called for his congregants to vote out local officials.

On Monday, Lane, the founder of the American Renewal Project, said 50 pastors and religious leaders ran for various political seats in North Carolina in 2022 to fight in "a war between God Jehovah and the false god of secularism." Lane aimed to replicate his successes in Texas and encourage more than 100 believers to run for statewide office in the coming years. "The American culture is nothing but the manifestation of the false religion that's governing America," Lane said. "If we're going to save the country for our kids and theirs, we have to move into the public square in obedience to Jesus' Kingdom" which he believes was assigned in the Gospel of Matthew.

Patrick echoed the need for Christians to prepare for a sort of spiritual warfare during the "battle" of November elections, his words seemingly in line with to the aims of Christian nationalism, an ideology that seeks to merge American and Christian identities. "If we get ready for battle in the election in 2024, I believe the victory will be the Lord's," Patrick said. "But we have to stand up and fight.” The lieutenant governor spoke with certainty when saying "we're all going to Heaven" in the room with pastors and others wearing pins of an American flag with a cross. "We're already saved. We're gone," he said. "But what about the future? What are our children and grandchildren are going to inherit?"

• Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, bolverk said:

During a private meeting at Ed Young's Second Baptist Church in Houston, dozens of right-wing Christians strategized how to win seats in the 2024 elections.

As millions of Texans prepared to stare at the sky Monday to glimpse the total solar eclipse, Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick joined his pastor Ed Young in a prayer circle at Houston's Second Baptist Church, where they embraced conservative kingmakers and called for pastors and believers to run for office. 

"If we don't win in 2024, we lose this nation," Patrick said ahead of the November elections, while standing on a small stage at the church's massive Woodway campus. "Today, it is a battle of darkness and light. There are people who pray to God, believe in God, raise their families in God's work and there are people over here who don't believe in God and want to kick God out. They hate God. That's the battle we're in."

Patrick, a longtime member of the SBC-affiliated megachurch and one of the most powerful Republicans in Texas, attended the pastor's private luncheon organized by the American Renewal Project (ARP), a group founded by anti-gay Dallas political operative David Lane. The ARP has enlisted North Carolina's GOP Lt. Gov. Mark Robinson to recruit and train clergy and congregants to win seats on local school boards, city councils, county commissions and on the state legislature. The project's Houston meeting represented the first of 20 gatherings across Texas. 

"We need America to get out of the chaos and come back to peace," said Patrick, who called North Carolina's Robinson a friend. "Whether its pastors or just believers, they need to stand up and either run for office, support people running for office…" and register citizens to vote in elections. 

Patrick drew applause for praising anti-abortion state and federal laws and for verbalizing anti-immigration rhetoric alleging that "millions" of people including "criminals, sex offenders, and child abusers" were crossing the U.S.-Mexico border. He also claimed the Biden administration refused to do anything to stop the border "chaos" because migrants mean future Democratic voters. 

"I'd rather be kicked out of office for my positions than kicked out of Heaven for my positions," Patrick said. "Vote me into office and vote me into Heaven." The speech a little more than a month after Pastor Young delivered a ranting sermon during which he referred to migrants coming into Texas as "undesirables," "garbage" and "raff" and suggesting that the United States is already "lost through foolishness." Ahead of the 2022 midterm elections, Young referred to the Democratic Party as "some kind of religion that is basically godless" and called for his congregants to vote out local officials.

On Monday, Lane, the founder of the American Renewal Project, said 50 pastors and religious leaders ran for various political seats in North Carolina in 2022 to fight in "a war between God Jehovah and the false god of secularism." Lane aimed to replicate his successes in Texas and encourage more than 100 believers to run for statewide office in the coming years. "The American culture is nothing but the manifestation of the false religion that's governing America," Lane said. "If we're going to save the country for our kids and theirs, we have to move into the public square in obedience to Jesus' Kingdom" which he believes was assigned in the Gospel of Matthew.

Patrick echoed the need for Christians to prepare for a sort of spiritual warfare during the "battle" of November elections, his words seemingly in line with to the aims of Christian nationalism, an ideology that seeks to merge American and Christian identities. "If we get ready for battle in the election in 2024, I believe the victory will be the Lord's," Patrick said. "But we have to stand up and fight.” The lieutenant governor spoke with certainty when saying "we're all going to Heaven" in the room with pastors and others wearing pins of an American flag with a cross. "We're already saved. We're gone," he said. "But what about the future? What are our children and grandchildren are going to inherit?"

I live in Houston near 2nd Baptist. What's the process like to complain to the IRS or whichever powers that be to revoke their tax exempt status?

• Hook 'Em 4

24 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I live in Houston near 2nd Baptist. What's the process like to complain to the IRS or whichever powers that be to revoke their tax exempt status?

Process: https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/irs-complaint-process-tax-exempt-organizations

Form: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f13909.pdf

Send:

Can be submitted one of the following ways:

Email to eoclass@irs.gov, or

Mail to TEGE Referrals Group, 1100 Commerce Street, MC 4910 DAL, Dallas, TX 75242

• Hook 'Em 4

I was raised in a Christian household (fortunately with none of the baggage) and it is stuff like this that pisses me off more than anything.

"It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves”

I used to drive by 2nd Baptist often when visiting home from UT. I always thought "Second Baptist...who admits they are second?"

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Ed Young has been flouting that shit more and more since Covid. He’s always been a piece of shit though. Covered up and protected at least none sexual predator over the years. The second Baptist private school is literally a fucking handmaids tale factory. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Non denominational bible church preacher in NC pushing back on some people in his congregation. The winds in these communities shift, and quickly. 

Yes, but see, you need to understand that he's a Satanist libtard commie, because he doesn't acknowledge that Jesus himself sent Donald Trump.  Scratch that...he doesn't acknowledge that DJT is almost certainly the second coming of Christ himself.  So, keep your libtard satanist blasphemy to yourself.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 4/10/2024 at 3:00 PM, atomheartbevo said:

I don’t believe this to be true. I preface this also with having never done this myself when praying. I have mentioned this story before, but I remember a trainer we had on the football team in college. His name was Dwayne and he could barely get words out due to a severe stuttering speech impediment. When he wanted to work with us I had to help him ask our coach because he couldn’t finish the sentence. He had a rough childhood as best I remember. One thing about him that will forever stick with me is sitting in chapel with him. He would pray and his stuttering would go away when he spoke in tongues. He could not speak an entire sentence to save his life, but pray in tongues? That he could do. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I don’t believe this to be true. I preface this also with having never done this myself when praying. I have mentioned this story before, but I remember a trainer we had on the football team in college. His name was Dwayne and he could barely get words out due to a severe stuttering speech impediment. When he wanted to work with us I had to help him ask our coach because he couldn’t finish the sentence. He had a rough childhood as best I remember. One thing about him that will forever stick with me is sitting in chapel with him. He would pray and his stuttering would go away when he spoke in tongues. He could not speak an entire sentence to save his life, but pray in tongues? That he could do. 

Well, yeah, speaking in tongues is literally just making up sounds. Of course he didnt stutter. Stuttering encompasses actual language, which requires a lot more of your brain to process. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Singing also helps people to not stutter, and it’s possible that, since so much of church is singing or chanting, that he was accessing that part of his brain when praying. 

I think we dismiss stuff out of hand because we do not personally believe it to be true. I attempt to not do this with any religion and treat all the same.

1 minute ago, UpperWestside said:

I think we dismiss stuff out of hand because we do not personally believe it to be true. I attempt to not do this with any religion and treat all the same.

Thats fine but Occam’s razor is a thing for a reason.  I prefer to not look at the supernatural for things that can be explained by the natural world. 

You'll notice that when people do speak in tongues, they always (at least English speakers—the only group of tongue-speakers with which I've had interaction) use phonemes that are comprised of Baby's First Vocalizations. Because it's just gibberish, it's hard to improvise sounds that aren't in your native language. No English speaker of tongues is getting real Semitic phonemes out there. Just lots of "sha na na" and "manahaba" like shit. No complex diphthongs or consonant clusters. No uvular fricatives, voiced implosives, or clicks. Just basic baby bitch English nonsense