Fuck you Wendy's

Wendy’s is expensive already…12-13$ for a double with fries and a drink. They have meal deals that are probably the play.

Problem with our Wendy’s is there’s 2 in town, and both are ran horribly. Slow lines and weird, seedy workers.

McDonald’s in our town absolutely runs circles around wendys. They can pump out 3-4 cars for every 1 at Wendy’s. Not as good Wendy’s IMO but it’s fast food.

Plus the app of McDonald’s absolutely shits all over wendys crappy app. I don’t know how many times I’ve picked “drive thru” and they still have me pull around and go inside to get it.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

They need to get a whole bunch of guys like the one who ran the register at the Wendy’s in the union in the mid 90’s. He could handle any surge.  

Everyone loved that dude but he wasn't actually fast. He just talked real fast and liked to slap the side of the register a lot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Travel around a bit and you will find that not every dq sells steak fingers.  It’s very defeating to pull up to one and not see it on the menu. 

We should toilet paper those, like my brother did to the houses of the people who gave out pencils and healthy treats at Halloween. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Travel around a bit and you will find that not every dq sells steak fingers.  It’s very defeating to pull up to one and not see it on the menu. 

Dairy Queens in Texas Have Their Own Menu—And We Want It All - tasteofhome.com

Spoiler

Dairy Queens in Texas Have Their Own Menu—And We Want It All - Amrita Thakkar, Updated: Mar. 16, 2022

The Dairy Queen menu in Texas has tacos, nachos and more!

If you’ve ever visited a Dairy Queen in Texas (or even the DQ Texas website) you might’ve come across the slogan “That’s What I Like About Texas”. This is quite a change from the DQ slogan we’ve seen everywhere else: “Happy Tastes Good”. And it’s far from the only thing that’s different about DQ in Texas.

Dairy Queens in Texas feature menu items that you might not find anywhere else, ranging from nachos and tacos to some very different burger offerings. We hear they might even have their own jingle for commercials! That’s not too surprising. Here’s what you need to know before you hit up a DQ in Texas.

Here’s What to Expect From DQ’s Texas Menu

With Texas, you expect to go big, and the Texas DQ doesn’t disappoint. Texas-exclusive offerings include (but are definitely not limited to):

• The Hungr-Buster: a quarter-pounder with onions, tomatoes, lettuce, pickles and mustard
  • The Belt-Buster: a burger that doubles up on the quarter-pound patties
  • The Triple-Buster: yep, this triples the patties
  • The Dude Chik’n Fried Steak Sandwich: fried steak with lettuce, tomatoes and salad dressing
  • Steak Finger Country Basket: crunchy fried steak strips

Of course, that’s not all! When in Texas, you expect some Mexican-inspired fare, and the Texas DQ doesn’t disappoint. Here’s what else you can find on the menu:

• Texas T-Brand Tacos
  • Nachos Deluxe
  • Beef Taco Salad
  • Grilled Chicken Taco Salad

Why Does Dairy Queen Have a Different Menu in Texas?

Your first response might be to think that it’s because Dairy Queen started in Texas. You’re not the only one who’d think that—as of 2017, Texas had the most Dairy Queens of any state, at approximately 600. The very first Dairy Queen was actually opened in Joliet, Illinois, even though the chain is so popular in Texas, it’s literally known as “the Texas stop sign”.

But there is a reason for that unique menu, and it involves some selling and buying. International Dairy Queen sold its franchising rights in Texas to Rolly Klose in around 1947, who in turn sold exclusive rights for DQ to several restauranteurs who began to experiment with offerings beyond the usual soft-serve and desserts. When Texas Dairy Queen was repurchased by International DQ in 1980, the restauranteurs negotiated with the company to allow them to continue with the Texas-exclusive items and their own brand of marketing.

These items aren’t the only unique things created by franchisees—even the iconic Blizzard was a franchisee creation.

Can I Get ‘Em at DQs Outside Texas?

Unfortunately, these items are Texas exclusives—you’ll have to head down to the Lone Star state to get ’em. However, the DQ secret menu has some items that you can get no matter where in the country you are, as long as you have a store nearby. Indulge in a Butterbeer Blizzard, or add some nostalgia with the Jack and Jill Sundae or the Peanut Butter Bash Sundae—the possibilities are endless!

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

We have two up in our neck of the woods who don’t sell steak fingers. 

3 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Wendy’s is expensive already…12-13$ for a double with fries and a drink. They have meal deals that are probably the play.

Looks like $8 for a double with cheese, large fries, large drink and chicken nuggets.  Some kind of meal deal.  No idea if that's always available.

https://nypost.com/2024/02/28/business/wendys-u-turns-on-dynamic-pricing-that-would-raise-prices-during-peak-hours/

Apparently not surge pricing now

The new boards, slated to roll out next year, “should increase further supporting sales and profit growth across the system,” said Tanner, who rose to the chief role earlier this month.

But after reports of Tanner’s comments sparked an uproar this week, Wendy’s spokesperson Heidi Schauer sought to walk them back in a Wednesday statement to The Post.

“To clarify, Wendy’s will not implement surge pricing, which is the practice of raising prices when demand is highest. We didn’t use that phrase, nor do we plan to implement that practice,” she said.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

The Daves double and the Double Stack are two different burgers. The second one is much smaller (and thus cheaper).

Still, a burger, nugs, large fries and a large drink for $8 isn't exactly highway robbery.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I eat FF burgers way too often and each scratch an itch or craving I may have at that time.  I don't particularly like ketchup & mayo on a burger but it works for me on a whopper.  Loved BK growing up then hated it as I got older but now it has become one of my favorites. 

Dynamic pricing, aka happy hour, has been a staple in restaurants for as long as I have been alive. What's the resistance with the application to fast food? I suspect in 10 years this will be the standard model. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, seven said:

Dynamic pricing, aka happy hour, has been a staple in restaurants for as long as I have been alive. What's the resistance with the application to fast food? I suspect in 10 years this will be the standard model. 

When it comes to cheap food products, I suspect the customer will tolerate "dynamic pricing" downward (e.g., happy hour) much, much more than they will tolerate it upward (order at lunchtime, pay an extra $3!)

That reminds me, though....the campus egg roll carts had "dynamic pricing" before it was cool.  If I had a class that ended around 4:00, I'd walk by one of the carts on the way home and ask "what do you have left, and how much for all of it?"  I often got something like 2 orders of indian bread, 4 eggrolls, and whatever hell else they had for $5 or so.  I could even haggle. "That doesn't sound that great.  I'll give you $3 for it all."

• Drool 1

7 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Problem with our Wendy’s is there’s 2 in town, and both are ran horribly. Slow lines and weird, seedy workers.

McDonald’s in our town absolutely runs circles around wendys. They can pump out 3-4 cars for every 1 at Wendy’s. Not as good Wendy’s IMO but it’s fast food.

Plus the app of McDonald’s absolutely shits all over wendys crappy app. I don’t know how many times I’ve picked “drive thru” and they still have me pull around and go inside to get it.

My experience at the one by my office in SE Austin is the opposite - you go through the drive-thru at like 10mph and they practically throw the food into your car and shoo you on your way.  Extremely fast food, to the point of anxiety.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

When it comes to cheap food products, I suspect the customer will tolerate "dynamic pricing" downward (e.g., happy hour) much, much more than they will tolerate it upward (order at lunchtime, pay an extra $3!)

That reminds me, though....the campus egg roll carts had "dynamic pricing" before it was cool.  If I had a class that ended around 4:00, I'd walk by one of the carts on the way home and ask "what do you have left, and how much for all of it?"  I often got something like 2 orders of indian bread, 4 eggrolls, and whatever hell else they had for $5 or so.  I could even haggle. "That doesn't sound that great.  I'll give you $3 for it all."

Yes, although I suspect that the standard menu price will still raise some, but the discount will be less than current price. 

18 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:
24 minutes ago, seven said:

"Happy Hour" and other previously established dynamic pricing models are also transparent, in that, the regular prices, discounts, and dates and times for those discounts tend to be listed in menus or other signage. 

Wendy's "dynamic pricing" implies that the listed amounts will simply change on the fly and be reflected on the digital menus. In other words, you could drive through at 12 p.m. and see a Dave's Double listed for $10, then drive through again at 3 p.m. and see the same sandwich priced at $6.50 without having the slightest idea why.

In my opinion, the former is perfectly acceptable because the customer is allowed to make an informed choice, whereas the latter is devious and exploitative and should be shunned.

2 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

"Happy Hour" and other previously established dynamic pricing models are also transparent, in that, the regular prices, discounts, and dates and times for those discounts tend to be listed in menus or other signage. 

Wendy's "dynamic pricing" implies that the listed amounts will simply change on the fly and be reflected on the digital menus. In other words, you could drive through at 12 p.m. and see a Dave's Double listed for $10, then drive through again at 3 p.m. and see the same sandwich priced at $6.50 without having the slightest idea why.

In my opinion, the former is perfectly acceptable because the customer is allowed to make an informed choice, whereas the latter is devious and exploitative and should be shunned.

You sound like someone who is terrified that their Taco Bell drive thru order at 2:45 a.m. is gonna end up being $75, and not JUST because you're fucking baked and ordered one of everything on the menu.

• Drool 1

27 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Their chili is made with left over patties from the day before so that tracks.

Not true.  As soon as a burger reaches "done" and hasn't been served it goes straight into the frozen burger stash for chili.

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Yeah, but as a poor college student, a 99 cent baked potato with the chili dumped on it, along with sour cream and cheese and stuff was a great meal.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Js1 said:

Stupid fucking convoluted soda machines

i go to amc for the raspberry vanilla coke from the freestyle.  fight me.

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Didn’t Jack in the Box offer a smash burger a few weeks back and they sold out in a couple hours? I’m shocked BK and Wendy’s haven’t tried it. 

ftfy

Edited by elfenix

14 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Like gas prices. 

13 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I don’t even have a problem with that. What I noticed back when Wendy’s did a revamp some years back and I finally swore them off was that they weren’t even bothering to try to hide it anymore, leaving the crumbled up patties in larger chunks that clearly betrayed the fact that they were torn up squares of yesterday’s burgers. The burgers and fries got worse and that was a big turnoff. Still, I tried to keep eating their chili but that lack of concern for at least trying to keep up the facade was the last straw.

Posted (edited)

So here in Cowtown, this ridiculous idea of surge pricing by Wendy's never got off the ground.  And the resulting demise of the Wendy's location on 7th street, after being a$$ raped by In&Out next door is that Terry Black's barbecue is coming=profit. They are currently working on the land preparing the ground for foundation.

https://www.star-telegram.com/entertainment/restaurants/eats-beat/article271466462.html

Edited by pch

1 hour ago, pch said:

So here in Cowtown, this ridiculous idea of surge pricing by Wendy's never got off the ground.  And the resulting demise of the Wendy's location on 7th street, after being a$$ raped by In&Out next door is that Terry Black's barbecue is coming=profit. They are currently working on the land preparing the ground for foundation.

https://www.star-telegram.com/entertainment/restaurants/eats-beat/article271466462.html

There was never any plan for surge pricing.

It’s not true but what’s the problem if they do? Any successful restaurant figures out how to monetize leftovers, scraps, and excess inventory. And they utilize everything they can to minimize waste. Any barbecue joint that doesn’t meticulously use everything and maintain tight food costs controls will go out of business

21 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

There was never any plan for surge pricing.

I mean, that's what they're saying now after everyone said "Wendy's can get fucked" with this dynamic pricing bullshit. My personal opinion is that they ABSOLUTELY meant surge pricing and only said "no wait everyone, we didn't mean SURGE pricing! We meant pricing would go DOWN!" after everyone realized Wendy's isn't good enough to get away with that shit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

On 2/28/2024 at 8:54 AM, Tylerocks said:

Kirk Tanner is a fucking idiot.

I forgot that he had gone to Wendy's.  Our paths crossed about 20 years ago and my assessment was exactly the same as yours.  He's also a monumental douchebag on a personal level.

On 2/29/2024 at 5:02 PM, 4th&Five said:

This year at Xmas we somehow got on the topic of FF burgers and my parents both said Burger King is by far their favorite. There was a moment of silence in then my brother said it was the most insane thing he’s ever heard. I lost it. 

Your folks sound like my kind of people. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Texzilla588 said:

It’s not true but what’s the problem if they do? 

It's interesting how few people actually read the thread.  I've made thousands of gallons of Wendy's chili.  It's made from browned fresh ground meat that is immediately frozen when the patties are done.  The griddle is literally used to cook (a) patties and (b) chili meat.

I mean, it ain't French Laundry, but at least listen to people who worked there.

• Like 1

The Daves double and the Double Stack are two different burgers. The second one is much smaller (and thus cheaper).

Correct. Had a meal deal today with spicy nuggs and a double stack. Had to get 2 kids meals and 2 Junior frosties. Actually kept it under $20 for the 3 of us, $19.25. Got some free chocolate milks out of it because they guy gave me the milk and the woman bagger had one in the food bags lulz.

Meal deals, especially for lunch, is the way to go.

On 3/1/2024 at 5:17 PM, jimmyjazz said:

It's interesting how few people actually read the thread.  I've made thousands of gallons of Wendy's chili.  It's made from browned fresh ground meat that is immediately frozen when the patties are done.  The griddle is literally used to cook (a) patties and (b) chili meat.

I mean, it ain't French Laundry, but at least listen to people who worked there.

Well hell. I always thought you were some kind of engineer, but thanks for making the chili.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1