Fuck you Wendy's

I mean, that's what they're saying now after everyone said "Wendy's can get fucked" with this dynamic pricing bullshit. My personal opinion is that they ABSOLUTELY meant surge pricing and only said "no wait everyone, we didn't mean SURGE pricing! We meant pricing would go DOWN!" after everyone realized Wendy's isn't good enough to get away with that shit.

You realize raising prices at lunchtime would be the dumbest business move ever in restaurant history, right? This was the result of some stupid marketing person that likely doesn’t even eat burgers writing this.

Rideshare surge is a result of limited resource (drivers) and too much short term demand (riders). The alternatives are shitty too. So it’s intended to attract more drivers to the area.

Wendy’s are generally in fast food forests with tons of competitors. If you raise prices while people are in line they will leave. And not come back.

National multi unit megachains have issues with quick pivoting. AI allows a dream scenario where each store can adapt to factors of inventory, labor, demand on a granular level and make specials on the fly to drive revenue or reduce costs. Another instance of innovation that benefits consumers and employees being hammered by a hysterical media and luddites./z
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

You realize raising prices at lunchtime would be the dumbest business move ever in restaurant history, right? This was the result of some stupid marketing person that likely doesn’t even eat burgers writing this.

Rideshare surge is a result of limited resource (drivers) and too much short term demand (riders). The alternatives are shitty too. So it’s intended to attract more drivers to the area.

Wendy’s are generally in fast food forests with tons of competitors. If you raise prices while people are in line they will leave. And not come back.

National multi unit megachains have issues with quick pivoting. AI allows a dream scenario where each store can adapt to factors of inventory, labor, demand on a granular level and make specials on the fly to drive revenue or reduce costs. Another instance of innovation that benefits consumers and employees being hammered by a hysterical media and luddites./z

why are you a newb?  @Texzilla58

5 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

Yes, I'm sure Wendy's, a multi-national fast food chain, is just looking out for the consumer and the little guy.  Corporations left and right are just falling over themselves to give something back.

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:
16 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Well hell. I always thought you were some kind of engineer, but thanks for making the chili.

whynotboth?.gif

Definitely not a gif engineer ...

Homer Simpson Lol GIF by Demic

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 2

Yes, I'm sure Wendy's, a multi-national fast food chain, is just looking out for the consumer and the little guy.  Corporations left and right are just falling over themselves to give something back.

It’s not about that. Raising prices isn’t the path to higher profits in retail. It’s about cash flow, labor and food costs, rents, a whole lot of wheels to turn. If you have a store that has solid lunch and terrible dinner hours this enables that store to have specials to attract business.

This isn’t anything new. Do you complain at your independent Chinese or TexMex joint that has a lunch menu with the same enchilada plate for the dollars less than dinner. Do you whine at the Italian joint with a shrimp special on the board because it’s not servable tomorrow night?

This has been a part of retail forever and technology will simplify pricing and inventory. For a national retailer it takes a lot to do the analytics on promotions. What will be the lift to make the cost of the promotion affordable. Cutting the price on a hot item might drive footsteps but does it drive bottom line. Since they don’t teach real retail in business school, it’s called the “monkey fuckin the skunk”. It feels good but you can only stand so much of it.

Retailers are too busy trying to stay in business in razor thin margins and get workers to come in as scheduled to make stupid “let’s fuck the customer” strategeries”.

4 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

Retailers are too busy trying to stay in business in razor thin margins and get workers to come in as scheduled to make stupid “let’s fuck the customer” strategeries”.

Wendy’s isn’t some mom & pop burger stand that’s having trouble keeping the doors open. They have a 3.7 billion market cap. They absolutely have the time and resources to sit around and think up more ways to increase cash flow. 

14 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

It’s not about that. Raising prices isn’t the path to higher profits in retail. It’s about cash flow, labor and food costs, rents, a whole lot of wheels to turn. If you have a store that has solid lunch and terrible dinner hours this enables that store to have specials to attract business.

This isn’t anything new. Do you complain at your independent Chinese or TexMex joint that has a lunch menu with the same enchilada plate for the dollars less than dinner. Do you whine at the Italian joint with a shrimp special on the board because it’s not servable tomorrow night?

This has been a part of retail forever and technology will simplify pricing and inventory. For a national retailer it takes a lot to do the analytics on promotions. What will be the lift to make the cost of the promotion affordable. Cutting the price on a hot item might drive footsteps but does it drive bottom line. Since they don’t teach real retail in business school, it’s called the “monkey fuckin the skunk”. It feels good but you can only stand so much of it.

Sir, this is a Wendy's.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 2/29/2024 at 9:00 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I don’t know how many times I’ve picked “drive thru” and they still have me pull around and go inside to get it.

This absolutely baffles me.  How is it any easier for them to hand me the food over the counter vs through the window?

If the argument is “well, the food’s not ready yet”, I mean, isn’t that the default drive-thru fast food order?  Pretend I just ordered it.

Am I missing something?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Wendy’s isn’t some mom & pop burger stand that’s having trouble keeping the doors open. They have a 3.7 billion market cap. They absolutely have the time and resources to sit around and think up more ways to increase cash flow. 

A stock valuation has little to do with the actual nightmares of operating a chain of thousands of stores housing a rapidly expiring inventory. Having been a part of large multi unit retail, the general biz school diktat of Soviet style centralized operations and customer interfaces delivers varying versions of a Moscow GUUM store. The need has been for a more decentralized store/time/situational approach that equates to the flexibility of smaller operations. Most large retailers these days are flailing because they can’t get out of their own way, and are run by finance guys that couldn’t sell pussy to a troop train.
  • Haha 1

This absolutely baffles me.  How is it any easier for them to hand me the food over the counter vs through the window?
If the argument is “well, the food’s not ready yet”, I mean, isn’t that the default drive-thru fast food order?  Pretend I just ordered it.
Am I missing something?

It’s almost like you had the choice to pick inside pick up, which I’m sure gets made the second you submit it Vs going drive thru and they begin making it when you tell them your name

For fast food burgers, I like Braums the best. Sonic is two, Wendy's is probably third but I just never think of it, probably because I don't eat a lot of fast food, so I rarely get past Braums or Sonic.

46 minutes ago, 'stache said:

For fast food burgers, I like Braums the best. Sonic is two, Wendy's is probably third but I just never think of it, probably because I don't eat a lot of fast food, so I rarely get past Braums or Sonic.

Sonic? SONIC?

chewing-gum-walking-away.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sonics solid. I think it hit a lull after it burst onto the scene and was mostly located in the south. After it moved north it kinda went down hill but rebounded. Still haven’t had one in 2-3 years now despite going to Freddy’s or five guys across the street

On 2/28/2024 at 3:59 PM, Brisketexan said:

There's a Popeye's close to your house?

2ac657db-ae85-4041-8122-6258a83e2653_tex

There is one on 620 five minutes from my house. Right next door to a Wendy’s.

Popeye’s chicken sandwich ftw

Wendy’s burger in a pinch once every few months. Decent fries are better than WB.

WB sweet & spicy is ok for fast food, but their shakes are first rate, IMO.

My go to burgers are at Roaring Fork, The League Kitchen, Ztejas, Cover 3.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

I really dislike Wendy's "seasoned" fries.  Give me potatoes and salt, period.

I do not recall Wendy’s fries being seasoned, but we haven’t been by there since last fall.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, utee94 said:

It's not just poors who bitch about prices.  Rich olds bitch about prices too, 'cause back in my day...

Got it.  This old hasn't been to one of those fast food places in 20+ years.  If I'm desperate, I'll grab sushi at an HEB.  Otherwise, I go sit at a restaurant bar and eat real food along with cocktails.

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Please tell me you also get a chocolate Frosty and dip the fries in it.

Never had a Frosty, but sounds like something Mrs. Brat would do.

She likes to dip popcorn in a DQ Blizzard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It’s pretty runny. It’s closer to soup. 

It is.  But I always kinda liked it.  And my mom, who was a hybrid coonass-south Texan, LOVED it.  She found a "knockoff recipe" online, and would make it for my dad and her all the time.  All in all, it was a moderately healthy meal choice, tasted plenty good, so why not?

As I've gotten older, I've leaned much more into the "dude, do whatever you want the way that you want" and away from being a strict purist on anything.  There are still some basic rules (for fuck's sake, no, there's no such thing as "pumpkin gumbo"), but I'm also comfortable realizing that a lot of these dishes were products of pretty basic and poor people tossing what was abundant into the pot, so if some poor coonass made possum gumbo with a shitload of bell peppers because he had a bumper crop this year, go for it.  If some S. Texan stretched out their chili with a buncha pintos and some extra masa and a marked down can of diced tomatoes, good for them.

So, if you like Wendy's chili, eat some Wendy's chili.  Just not a batch that @jimmyjazz made, because I bet he fucked it up.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So, if you like Wendy's chili, eat some Wendy's chili.  Just not a batch that @jimmyjazz made, because I bet he fucked it up.

Of course I fucked it up, I was in high school and much more interested in my coworker Kathy Allen, who was smokin' hot and kinda dim to boot.  Perfect.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 7:39 AM, Welch said:

Am I missing something?

they don't want you backing up the drive-thru line while you wait for your nuggets to get fried.  

Posted (edited)

Who's peeking out the drive-thru window

Counting the cars lined up out there

Raising their prices cuz people are hungry

Everyone knows it's Wendy's

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Wendy’s burger in a pinch once every few months. Decent fries are better than WB..

Whataburger fries are annoying. They have a disproportionate number of short pieces. Their burgers make it worth the stop though.

Chic-fil-A is rather generous with their fries.

Five Guys fries are greasy mush, and an attempt to make up for their small, overpriced burgers.

• Hook 'Em 1

Whataburger fries are annoying. They have a disproportionate number of short pieces. Their burgers make it worth the stop though.
Chic-fil-A is rather generous with their fries.
Five Guys fries are greasy mush, and an attempt to make up for their small, overpriced burgers.

Pro tip: Next time order an actual burger and not the little burger

21 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

BK

Wendy's

Sonic

JITB

McD

Burger only ranking, but I also have't had any of them in probably a year so...

BK has fallen off significantly in the last few years.  

It used to be my preferred FF burger stop among the nationwide chains.  Sucks now.

23 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

BK

Wendy's

Sonic

JITB

McD

Burger only ranking, but I also have't had any of them in probably a year so...

Sonic (in small town) 

Wendy’s

McD

BK

JITB

(note: I haven’t eaten at any of these in likely 10 years)