Best (and worst) concept albums

Paul Wesley

6 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Forget concept album.  One of the greatest albums of all time

When I was a little kid, my parents granted me access to their record collection and the phonograph on the condition that I didn’t scratch any of the records or fuck up the needle. Sitting on the floor listening to records with big ass 70’s headphones on, for literally hours at a time, is where my obsession with music was truly born. I discovered this album in 1973, and has remained in regular rotation to this day. The production and songs are just immaculate. Both timeless and a time machine simultaneously. 

As others have already submitted, Pink Floyd has to be considered near the top of the mountain in concept albums. To create three concept albums with the quality and lasting relevance of Wish You Were Here, Animals, and The Wall, is an incredible artistic achievement. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Whitewater Horn said:

When I was a little kid, my parents granted me access to their record collection and the phonograph on the condition that I didn’t scratch any of the records or fuck up the needle. Sitting on the floor listening to records with big ass 70’s headphones on, for literally hours at a time, is where my obsession with music was truly born. 

Sort of the same for me. My mom lived in San Francisco in the late 60s/early 70s, so her records that I inherited included stuff like CCR, The Association, Sly and the Family Stone, The Mamas and the Papas. No Marvin Gaye, but driving with my mom as a kid in the late 70s/early 80s, she listened to a lot of “oldies” stations, so I grew up with the broader music of the 60s, including R&B. I’ve loved that stuff since.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Redheaded Stranger is likely the answer to the question.    I've only recently learned about Phases and Stages.  Been getting in to it a lot lately.

My favorite, by far, is "Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy" by Elton John.   One this is criminally underrated is "From The Inside" by Alice Cooper.  

Common component is Bernie Taupin.   

Edited by hullabelew
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

Common component is Bernie Taupin.   

Wow, I didn't know that Taupin ever worked with Alice Cooper.  Now that I've looked it up -- Steve Lukather and a couple of guys from Elton John's band, too.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wow, I didn't know that Taupin ever worked with Alice Cooper.  Now that I've looked it up -- Steve Lukather and a couple of guys from Elton John's band, too.

I bought that album because I read Taupin's name on the credits and Marcy Levy sings the duet of Millie & Billie.  
"And I liked your late husband Donald.  But such torture his memory brings.
All sliced up and sealed tight in baggies.  Guess love makes you do funny things"

I'll go with The Wall if Dark Side of the Moon isn't considered a concept album. That's debatable. Tommy has to be near the top also. Interesting all 3 were pretty close together in time given the history of music.

And I was going to post the same as JJ even before I saw his post. I like Styx, but damn that thing sucks.

Is OK Computer considered a concept album? Some of the guys in the band don't seem to think so: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OK_Computer#:~:text=Although the songs share common,not make a concept album

The songs of OK Computer do not have a coherent narrative, and the album's lyrics are generally considered abstract or oblique. Nonetheless, many musical critics, journalists, and scholars consider the album to be a concept album or song cycle, or have analysed it as a concept album, noting its strong thematic cohesion, aesthetic unity, and the structural logic of the song sequencing.[nb 1] Although the songs share common themes, Radiohead have said they do not consider OK Computer a concept album and did not intend to link the songs through a narrative or unifying concept while it was being written.[30][52][53] Jonny Greenwood said: "I think one album title and one computer voice do not make a concept album. That's a bit of a red herring."[54] However, the band intended the album to be heard as a whole, and spent two weeks ordering the track list. O'Brien said: "The context of each song is really important ... It's not a concept album but there is a continuity there."[52]

I agree with all the Willie and Pink Floyd nominees.  All remarkable achievements, but for different reasons.  Willie did it in a genre where pretty much no one was even thinking about a "concept" album, and he took simple themes (Phases) and narratives (Stranger) and - even with often bare-bones arrangements and instrumentation - turned those into far-reaching epics.  

Pink Floyd aimed higher in their themes and stories (it seems to me that they set out to make something epic), and also absolutely knocked them out of the stratosphere.  I think DSOTM was on the billboard charts for 19 years (!!!!!).

I was incredibly lucky that I happened to be in London a few years ago when the Who did "Tommy" at Royal Albert Hall.  It was amazing, but that record drops off quite a bit in the back half - they even omitted a couple of of those songs when doing the record in its "entirety" - so that one can't be considered to be on the same level, IMO.  

It would be even harder to pick a "worst" concept album, because 99% of them are shit.  But if you put a gun to my head, I'd pick a guy who grifted evangelical Christians for two decades, making straight trash with zero artistic merit.  Then it got worse.  He tried to grift a whole new audience with shit that had even less artistic merit.  Nothing fails more spectacularly than trying to be outrageous, but just being fucking stupid.

Screenshot-2024-03-07-at-1-01-14-PM.png

• Hook 'Em 1

All of these are albums that I feel are concept albums and enjoy listening to in their entirety as much as any one song.  The first would get my nod as best concept album for my tastes.

1*Aad3rcP6yKOj3LgWqx75gA.jpeg

4b8fb5bc7ae749351157e40f88ba1c61.1000x10

king-crimson-in-the-court.jpg?resize=560

s-l1200.webp

81zayfQ+ZrL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

My5qcGVn.jpeg

64d59f18b5c7f4ae2905bd2ff1467e01.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Thought about "Astral Weeks" but in the end I don't see it fitting as a Concept Album. It doesn't really fit into any category, although Springsteen probably best described it as "trance music: poetry laid down over basic, repetitive chords that show you the possibility of the divine." It's just a perfect album that seemed to happen without great intent, which in the end is kinda the opposite of a CA.

On 3/7/2024 at 6:59 AM, Whitewater Horn said:

When I was a little kid, my parents granted me access to their record collection and the phonograph on the condition that I didn’t scratch any of the records or fuck up the needle. Sitting on the floor listening to records with big ass 70’s headphones on, for literally hours at a time, is where my obsession with music was truly born. I discovered this album in 1973, and has remained in regular rotation to this day. The production and songs are just immaculate. Both timeless and a time machine simultaneously. 

As others have already submitted, Pink Floyd has to be considered near the top of the mountain in concept albums. To create three concept albums with the quality and lasting relevance of Wish You Were Here, Animals, and The Wall, is an incredible artistic achievement. 

I mean, Dark Side is a concept album as well.  They are pretty much a concept band.   

• Hook 'Em 1

Interestingly enough, I was pondering Rush as having put out concept albums, but of every album I considered (up through "Moving Pictures"), none really qualified.  Sure, they had concept SIDES, but a whole album?  Nope.

Then I googled it, and the interwebs agreed, up until some album they put out in 2012 that I never listened to, because not in high school.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2024 at 12:34 PM, Hard Times said:

I'll go with The Wall if Dark Side of the Moon isn't considered a concept album. That's debatable. Tommy has to be near the top also. Interesting all 3 were pretty close together in time given the history of music.

And I was going to post the same as JJ even before I saw his post. I like Styx, but damn that thing sucks.

In what world is Dark Side not a concept album? I’ve never heard that questioned. The Wall is more explicitly so but Dark Side is an icon of a concept album. One of the most important albums of all time  

Some others: Frank Zappa - Joe’s Garage; Moody Blues - In Search of the Lost Chord; Spirit - 12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus (awesome album despite the concept being poorly defined).

Give me Quadrophenia over Tommy all day every day. I’m not disputing Tommy as a concept album but it just doesn’t do it for me like Quadrophenia. That’s a masterpiece.

I don’t know if it counts but my parents had a copy of Peter & The Wolf when I was a kid and that was part of my musical foundation. They didn’t have much in the way of good music but that was a good one. They also had the soundtrack to West Side Story. That’s just a play. But so is Peter & The Wolf, right? And so are Quadrophenia and Joe’s Garage and The Wall, right? Labels are useful when talking about music but they can get fuzzy on the edges. I think we can safely say the West Side Story soundtrack is not a concept album.

But how about this? I used to have this on vinyl. A college roommate bought it on CD. It’s pretty good.

I haven’t read the whole thread. I see the Styx mention but I’m not sure which album you’re talking about. I assume Kilroy Was Here? That counts but I don’t think it was executed very well. I think Paradise Theater was the better effort. I haven’t listened to it in a long time but I still own that one. And I saw them live on the Kilroy tour. That was one of my first three concerts. I think it was my third after Rush and REO Speedwagon. It was a good show. 

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I haven’t read the whole thread. I see the Styx mention but I’m not sure which album you’re talking about. I assume Kilroy Was Here? That counts but I don’t think it was executed very well. I think Paradise Theater was the better effort. 

I posted about Styx "Kilroy Was Here" because it is the worst concept album ever recorded (which is consistent with the thread title).

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

In what world is Dark Side not a concept album? I’ve never heard that questioned. The Wall is more explicitly so but Dark Side is an icon of a concept album. One of the most important albums of all time  

Some others: Frank Zappa - Joe’s Garage; Moody Blues - In Search of the Lost Chord; Spirit - 12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus (awesome album despite the concept being poorly defined).

Give me Quadrophenia over Tommy all day every day. I’m not disputing Tommy as a concept album but it just doesn’t do it for me like Quadrophenia. That’s a masterpiece.

I don’t know if it counts but my parents had a copy of Peter & The Wolf when I was a kid and that was part of my musical foundation. They didn’t have much in the way of good music but that was a good one. They also had the soundtrack to West Side Story. That’s just a play. But so is Peter & The Wolf, right? And so are Quadrophenia and Joe’s Garage and The Wall, right? Labels are useful when talking about music but they can get fuzzy on the edges. I think we can safely say the West Side Story soundtrack is not a concept album.

But how about this? I used to have this on vinyl. A college roommate bought it on CD. It’s pretty good.

I haven’t read the whole thread. I see the Styx mention but I’m not sure which album you’re talking about. I assume Kilroy Was Here? That counts but I don’t think it was executed very well. I think Paradise Theater was the better effort. I haven’t listened to it in a long time but I still own that one. And I saw them live on the Kilroy tour. That was one of my first three concerts. I think it was my third after Rush and REO Speedwagon. It was a good show. 

You have 26k posts and you don't know some people here question everything?

Good post on WOTW. It completely slipped my mind and it's a great work. Especially with Justin Hayward. And speaking of which, The Moody Blues probably have a number of albums that would qualify. I'd put Days of Future Passed and To Our Children's Children above ISOTLC. ISOTLC has the bigger hit, but personally, I like TOCC better overall.

And interesting, REO was my first concert ever.

9 hours ago, Hard Times said:

You have 26k posts and you don't know some people here question everything?

Good post on WOTW. It completely slipped my mind and it's a great work. Especially with Justin Hayward. And speaking of which, The Moody Blues probably have a number of albums that would qualify. I'd put Days of Future Passed and To Our Children's Children above ISOTLC. ISOTLC has the bigger hit, but personally, I like TOCC better overall.

And interesting, REO was my first concert ever.

ISOTLC has sitar. It passes the acid test with flying colors. 

On 3/7/2024 at 1:15 PM, 66BUFF said:

image.png.9a8f80105b363b1e290a4a884c3896f8.png

This wins for me. On the Empire tour they played the entire Operation Mindcrime. Still one of the best concerts I’ve eve seen and I’ve seen hundreds. Even better than The Wall which was awesome. 

• Hook 'Em 1