You can time travel to any time/event in the past... where you going?

See Apollo take off for the moon. Experience the gold rush. Find the truth behind Stonehenge, the pyramids, or Easter Island.

You can go back in time and check out any time or event you want. Where you going?

Obligatory:

time travel kip GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

I’m just like a ghost observing it, but there? Easy:

JFK shooting. I’d put money on Oswald being the only shooter but I’d like to know for sure. 

Derek Jeter’s Manhattan penthouse back when he was single. Is the gift basket thing true?

Tunguska event. This might have to be #1 on my list actually if I could only pick one. 

It’s believed there was a volcanic eruption about 130 million years ago that was the largest in the history of earth. That’d be cool to watch

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

See Apollo take off for the moon. Experience the gold rush. Find the truth behind Stonehenge, the pyramids, or Easter Island.

You can go back in time and check out any time or event you want. Where you going?

Obligatory:

time travel kip GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

My answer is soooooo conditional. We need more parameters.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TexasHooch said:

My answer is soooooo conditional. We need more parameters.  

Such as?

I'm thinking you go back in time, can stay for as long as you want, but you aren't confined to that time forever. You are present, but your actions don't have an impact on the future. So you can't go back in time and kill Hitler.

5 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Such as?

I'm thinking you go back in time, can stay for as long as you want, but you aren't confined to that time forever. You are present, but your actions don't have an impact on the future. So you can't go back in time and kill Hitler.

So you're basically a fly on the wall, but for as longs as you want.  You experience the time, but will have zero effect on yours or anyone else's future as a result of being there.  I'll also assume language barriers aren't a thing.

Watching our forefathers debate the constitution would be cool.  It'd be fun to watch Davinci create some art. Posting up in Utah watching the Dinosaurs do their thing would be pretty epic too.

In the end though, if it's only one thing, under those guidelines, I'm probably following Jesus around. I want to know the real deal, minus 2000 years of religion.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

I think about checking out Acapulco in the 1960s when it was in its hey-day. Or seeing Las Vegas back then. 

I'd love to see Galveston in the prohibition era. 

32 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Such as?

Then something like D-Day or Thermopylae. 

Or maybe going back to like 1969 and seeing Jimi Hendrix, Zeppelin, Dylan et al.

35 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I think about checking out Acapulco in the 1960s when it was in its hey-day. Or seeing Las Vegas back then. 

I was in Las Vegas for a weekend in 1957.

48 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Any time, any where, and you pick Galveston?  I like your style.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

JFK shooting. I’d put money on Oswald being the only shooter but I’d like to know for sure. 

Where do you set up shop to get the best view?  On the knoll or across the street?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TexasHooch said:

So you're basically a fly on the wall, but for as longs as you want.  You experience the time, but will have zero effect on yours or anyone else's future as a result of being there.  I'll also assume language barriers aren't a thing.

Watching our forefathers debate the constitution would be cool.  It'd be fun to watch Davinci create some art. Posting up in Utah watching the Dinosaurs do their thing would be pretty epic too.

In the end though, if it's only one thing, under those guidelines, I'm probably following Jesus around. I want to know the real deal, minus 2000 years of religion.

That was my first thought since there really isn't a record of who brought up which ideas. The signing of the Declaration & Yorktown would be up there.

Fuck it March 5th 1770 through July 12th 1804.

Also, I'm assuming we have some way of dealing with body odor?? I can't imagine what the smell in Independence Hall was like

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Jesus, the '60s are now considered a time travel destination? Talk about making me feel old. I went to Acapulco on my first honeymoon in 1979.  It was a fun place then.

3 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Such as?

office.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Id probably just spectate a bunch of famous historical battles. More ancient the better.

See some mongorian raids. Battle of the blackwater. The burning of harrenhal. Attack on deepwood motte. That kinda shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Id probably just spectate a bunch of famous historical battles. More ancient the better.

See some mongorian raids. Battle of the blackwater. The burning of harrenhal. Attack on deepwood motte. That kinda shit. 

O9tdPgb.gif

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

I’m just like a ghost observing it, but there? Easy:

Derek Jeter’s Manhattan penthouse back when he was single. Is the gift basket thing true?

Tunguska event. This might have to be #1 on my list actually if I could only pick one. 

It’s believed there was a volcanic eruption about 130 million years ago that was the largest in the history of earth. That’d be cool to watch

This is the last piece of the puzzle I was hoping for.  Looks like we have a confirmed conspiracy on our hands.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Ojo Rojo said:

Easy.  150 million years ago to see some fucking dinosaurs.

You know, that might be the best answer. Dinosaurs, hell yeah.

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

I don't think I'd want to see battles or wars. Historically they are interesting. Actually seeing the horrors of it? No thanks.

It occurred to me several years ago that if I could time travel, it's not the big events I'd go to see.  The more I've thought about it, the more sad it gets, because what I'd really do is go back to the 80s and eat at all the restaurants I miss.  GM Steakhouse, Green Mesquite before it burnt down and they forgot how to make a chicken fried steak, and many more.  I'd also probably go back about 300 years and fish the bays for reds and trout with no limits.

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I don't think I'd want to see battles or wars. Historically they are interesting. Actually seeing the horrors of it? No thanks.

Also most of them were not nearly as crazy or jaw-dropping as you’d think they are. Especially the older ones, just boringly executed slaughter for the most part. I even think about Omaha Beach on D-Day. Was it an insanely intense and brutal battle? Of course. Was it as frenetic as depicted in Saving Private Ryan? Probably not. 

30 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

That's a good point. I wouldn't want to watch the actual battler, but watching the mass of ships and airplanes crossing the english channel on D day would be cool

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Also most of them were not nearly as crazy or jaw-dropping as you’d think they are. Especially the older ones, just boringly executed slaughter for the most part. I even think about Omaha Beach on D-Day. Was it an insanely intense and brutal battle? Of course. Was it as frenetic as depicted in Saving Private Ryan? Probably not. 

Are you a real person? I'm beginning to wonder.....

The response to Saving Private Ryan was so intense that the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provided a toll-free hotline to aid veterans in coping with their PTSD and any other bad reactions they would experience from watching the film

Read this.

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/world-war-ii/spielbergs-war-saving-private-ryan.html

Edited by Jameslaw121
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Are you a real person? I'm beginning to wonder.....

The response to Saving Private Ryan was so intense that the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provided a toll-free hotline to aid veterans in coping with their PTSD and any other bad reactions they would experience from watching the film

Read this.

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/world-war-ii/spielbergs-war-saving-private-ryan.html

The limited archival footage available doesn’t really give off the same intensity as the movie, but I’m not sure how much of the actual landing was able to be filmed. All I know is I’m lucky I wasn’t there to experience it. Wading onto a beach while getting shot at is a fucking insane task to wrap your mind around. But they did it, some multiple times even if you’re talking about the guys in the pacific.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Classic Rock said:

Looks like I'll be headed to 1970 Frankfurt Germany for the Black Sabbath concert. These Germans don't seem to be appreciating the greatness before them.

Is there an alt. lyrics version of War Pigs

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Helobious said:

The limited archival footage available doesn’t really give off the same intensity as the movie, but I’m not sure how much of the actual landing was able to be filmed. All I know is I’m lucky I wasn’t there to experience it. Wading onto a beach while getting shot at is a fucking insane task to wrap your mind around. But they did it, some multiple times even if you’re talking about the guys in the pacific.

The gentleman who hosted my & Mrs. Brat’s engagement BBQ in 1967 at his ranch near Granger landed at Omaha Beach on D-Day. He was shot up so bad he was in hospital for at least a year recovering. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Helobious said:

When do you think D-Day happened? 1160? We know exactly what fucking happened on that beach that day. There is no debate or controversy surrounding how D-Day went down. And I'm sure SPR got it about 95% right. 

What's your next take? 

"I think those pussies in Nagasaki were milking it"

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3