UT Pro-Palestine Protest Thread

Captainant

22 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Got it -- had not seen the strict "no tents, no masks" rules.  And yes, the challenge would have to be to those rules in particular.

The no masks/no concealing your identity is an interesting discussion.  I am surprised that our current leadership would put that in place, being that it would put some of their preferred groups at risk.  But then, I strongly suspect the policy will only be enforced when the State doesn't like the content of the speech.  That is, the rules are pretextual, and not applied in a content-neutral fashion.  We shall see.

Rules attached for you to look over 

Guess it's the capitalist in me but the university should go ahead and "grid off " spaces on the lawn like they do for tailgaters during football season and charge like $100 or whatever for a day pass. Whoever applies and gets the pass, make them sign a form acknowledging the rules and leave them be unless they start to break said rules

GMCCo_mXwAARWQt.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, royiv said:

You’re making a very good argument for just ignoring them.

If I were personally in charge, I probably would have done what Brisket suggested which is let them fucking cook in the sun all day in their masks then clear them out after sundown.

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

They should have all first gone to Academy or REI, gotten a bunch of these mini-tents used to show what the full size looks like, and set them all up for the police to see.  Checkmate fuckers

image.png.c8c2a093d90fc3dc9d40acbb31a480df.png

I don't think the cops have enough riot gear on to safely take down even those mini tents.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Look at the picture from today dude.  They made a lame little tent city and encircled it locking arms.   They could have easily protested within the stated parameters and chose not to.  It was a fucking strategy.  At least see it for what it is.

Obviously, they could not have. They tried that last week. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

25 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

They should have all first gone to Academy or REI, gotten a bunch of these mini-tents used to show what the full size looks like, and set them all up for the police to see.  Checkmate fuckers

image.png.c8c2a093d90fc3dc9d40acbb31a480df.png

I've always wanted to get one of these for my Dachshunds to hang out in. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Fuck Abbott. Fuck DPS. Fuck these protesters. Fuck Israel. Fuck Hamas. Fuck everyone who's an asshole. So tired of everyone looking for reasons to be assholes.

If these fucking protests even hint at shutting down graduation, I'm going dress up in DPS gear and beat some motherfuckers.

Channeling your inner pirate like Mike, RIP gone too soon:

I feel like this rather often these days...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, hornbri said:

But we are talking about that happened today right? There were clear tents on campus today and it is clear they did that today to escalate the situation. Maybe now that tent question will get answered in court. 

We can't talk about today without including the greater context of last week. Given the significant trampling of civil rights, yeah, I think some civil disobedience is in order and justified. Again, I don't think no tents ever is a particularly reasonable restriction. But had this been a first interaction, I would not have had any issue with having the police come and kick out the protesters. In the context of last week, I find attitudes like @Skipper's that shows disdain for those who dare invoke their civil rights greatly disturbing. 

24 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

The protesters encircled the tents and chained tables together to protect the encampment. They knew exactly what they were doing. Credit to them as it worked exactly as they hoped it would.

My issue is the use of the term escalatory. Typically that has a violent connotation to it. And I find that usage ironic when talking about tents, particularly given the events of last week. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

They mostly got the response they wanted. It'll be in the news which is what they want. That's all they care about. 

If/when DPS starts beating them, then they'll really get what they want. 

All I see in the video is a gaggle full of assholes.

And with that I've given this bullshit too much attention. I'll resume to turning off or skipping any protest shit I see on media.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Dude all the protesters are in the South lawn. No one here is going to be impressed and want to fuck you.

Oh cool. You're like Beetlejuice, except I only had to type “dumb fucking fascist” once for you to suddenly appear. 

3 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Oh cool. You're like Beetlejuice, except I only had to type “dumb fucking fascist” once for you to suddenly appear. 

Hurry up, they are all about to be arrested. You can vulture, show empathy, bail one or two out, and maybe get laid. Go forth young man. We're rooting for you.

And oh yea, post pictures!!!

Edited by crash_davis
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

Meanwhile in San Marvelous:

Crowd looks to be pretty thin likely because of finals, can't begin to remember how many times I walked by the stallions between classes in a huge crowd of students and there was some kind of group popping off protesting or whatever, got called a sinner and told I was going to hell by some anti-abortion activists with megaphones frequently. Everyone goes about their business and eventually the protesters run out of steam and go home. No goon squad, no police brutality, no Gestapo Greg rolling the riot cops on horses in... who'd have thunk you could just let people get out their free speech piece in a designated space and things will all work out.

I bet they are gone way before 7pm too, crowds gonna thin out even more soon as happy hour specials start kicking in on the square....

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Watching the fox link. Man, they suck at slogans. The one dude near the camera keeps messing up.

But they are using from the River to the Sea chant.

Yeah, just heard that and noped out on watching any longer. Can’t get behind that level of ignorance.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Watching the fox link. Man, they suck at slogans. The one dude near the camera keeps messing up.

But they are using from the River to the Sea chant.

One would think think that calling for the destruction of Israel would get Israel to leave Gaza.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, royiv said:

Yeah, just heard that and noped out on watching any longer. Can’t get behind that level of ignorance.

Letting pro-Palestine protesters do their thing in public is the best way to make the argument for the other side.

10 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Meanwhile in San Marvelous:

Crowd looks to be pretty thin likely because of finals, can't begin to remember how many times I walked by the stallions between classes in a huge crowd of students and there was some kind of group popping off protesting or whatever, got called a sinner and told I was going to hell by some anti-abortion activists with megaphones frequently. Everyone goes about their business and eventually the protesters run out of steam and go home. No goon squad, no police brutality, no Gestapo Greg rolling the riot cops on horses in... who'd have thunk you could just let people get out their free speech piece in a designated space and things will all work out.

I bet they are gone way before 7pm too, crowds gonna thin out even more soon as happy hour specials start kicking in on the square....

I think that same women leads every single one of these nationwide somehow, that exact shrill and hectoring voice is the one I’ve heard each time whether online or in person.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Letting pro-Palestine protesters do their thing in public is the best way to make the argument for the other side.

I think that same women leads every single one of these nationwide somehow, that exact shrill and hectoring voice is the one I’ve heard each time whether online or in person.

You seem upset that Israel is unpopular.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, Smax said:

Guess it's the capitalist in me but the university should go ahead and "grid off " spaces on the lawn like they do for tailgaters during football season and charge like $100 or whatever for a day pass. Whoever applies and gets the pass, make them sign a form acknowledging the rules and leave them be unless they start to break said rules

GMCCo_mXwAARWQt.jpg

Thanks for posting the full set of rules.  The only thing that's vague (and could be read as violating the new Texas law) is the "no coming to campus without authorization."  The law makes it clear -- EVERYONE is "authorized" to be on the public spaces of all state university campuses.  It may be enforceable to issue trespass warnings and prohibitions against certain individuals based on specific events, but then the rule should say "coming on to campus when entry has been legally prohibited."

1) there are still ways to handle violations of said rules.  Foremost, only take action against the actual INDIVIDUALS violating said rules.  If it's Jane's tent, then clear out Jane and her tent.  If Jim is wearing a mask and refuses to remove it, remove Jim.  You don't get to "punish" the entire group for individual violations.

2) they can't charge or require "permits" (the statute our governor was so excited to sign....when he thought it was only to protect right-wing speech....says exactly that).  I think there CAN be a "permit" or "pre-clearance" process that is voluntary, and that the university can ask people to follow in order to help protect the university, the free speech process, and the demonstrators (e.g., if the subject of a demonstration is likely to draw a counter-demonstration, and maybe have a heightened risk of violence, it's good to give UT a heads-up so they can be on guard against shenanigans that could harm any protestors).

None of this shit is in play, though.  UT is going full-on heavy handed jackboots because that's the message the university wants to send.....when the message is not one the governor favors.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Unfortunately, Abbott and his sockpuppet Hartzell disagree with your assessment and have deemed riot cops to be the best response for about 50 people on the six pack, rather than let people hear out their ideas and decide for themselves. Because frankly yeah they're probably going to overstep and lose public support for their protest, but that's a moot point when they're being victimized

Edited by Captainant

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

The tents are against the rule at all time unless pre-approved: https://secure4.compliancebridge.com/utexas/public/getdoc.php?file=8-1050

In this case the tents are obviously being used to escalate the situation into more than a peaceful protest knowing they will get the police to show up to remove them.

This is how I interpret this. A purposefully antagonistic disregard for a somewhat harmless rule to prevent camping. 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, from what I have learned from my reading of Surly, people will have sex in them.  Sex tents are the scourge of our time.

This would actually be great if they were fucking in the tents. 

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

And the point has been that you can't arrest someone for a violation that hasn't actually occurred yet. Destroying a protest on the grounds that someone might violate a rule is fundamentally immoral and unconstitutional. 

It’s against the rules all the time as everyone showed already, it’s not a bad rule tbh. 

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

Fuck Abbott. Fuck DPS. Fuck these protesters. Fuck Israel. Fuck Hamas. Fuck everyone who's an asshole. So tired of everyone looking for reasons to be assholes.

If these fucking protests even hint at shutting down graduation, I'm going dress up in DPS gear and beat some motherfuckers.

I think this particular instance there are no good guys. Everyone involved today is a piece of shit. 

Wow. Today I learned that tents = escalatory. Gee, I would have thought the riot police and arrests last week were the escalating factor. But no, turns out, it is Coleman.

You obviously haven’t been camping in a long time. Shit is serious 

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Look at the picture from today dude.  They made a lame little tent city and encircled it locking arms.   They could have easily protested within the stated parameters and chose not to.  It was a fucking strategy.  At least see it for what it is.

Yep, fuck these people. They are doing the masked thing on purpose too. Really stupid that last week response made this happen. 

• Hook 'Em 1

And the point has been that you can't arrest someone for a violation that hasn't actually occurred yet. Destroying a protest on the grounds that someone might violate a rule is fundamentally immoral and unconstitutional. 

Hi2.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Anyone brave enough to venture over to TexAgs to see how they suggest this be handled?

A cursory glance at what's going on over there and I think this gif sums up what they think should happen to the protesters:

tiananmen square animation GIF by weinventyou

tho without the ambulance and the guy getting back up...

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Regarding the tents:  I've reviewed all the footage I can on KXAN and I see one tent.  I see a shit-ton of umbrellas, which I think we can all agree is not a tent.

So, wtf?

Perhaps you are unaware of the negative history of a psycho bitch named Mary Poppins?  We can't have that bullshit in our state, nosiree.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Regarding the tents:  I've reviewed all the footage I can on KXAN and I see one tent.  I see a shit-ton of umbrellas, which I think we can all agree is not a tent.

So, wtf?

It’s called a “pretext.”

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

So, wtf?

Go to post 1042.   More than 1 tent although still incredibly lame.  My favorite is what looks like a couch cushion to reinforce their barrier protecting said tents.   

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Go to post 1042.   More than 1 tent although still incredibly lame.  My favorite is what looks like a couch cushion to reinforce their barrier protecting said tents.   

OK, thanks.  I think I see 3 tents and a shanty tarp.  Clearly the larger crowd didn't put up any more tents but had a shit-ton of umbrellas.  This is not a situation warranting dozens of arrests, as has been alleged.

Edited by jimmyjazz

1 hour ago, Smax said:

GMCCo_mXwAARWQt.jpg

The way I read that rule bringing tents on campus is only prohibited after 10 pm.  "bringing tents on campus...later than 10:00 p.m."

2 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

The way I read that rule bringing tents on campus is only prohibited after 10 pm.  "bringing tents on campus...later than 10:00 p.m."

It's poorly written.  The English department coulda give them some help with those.  Then again, based on what I know of folks in the English department, they'd have told the admin to get fucked.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

It's poorly written.  The English department coulda give them some help with those.  Then again, based on what I know of folks in the English department, they'd have told the admin to get fucked.

Canons of construction are that terms are construed against the drafter.  If a construction could permit the use of tents on campus prior to 10 pm then it's against the rules.

Edited by DDD Dad

20 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Perhaps you are unaware of the negative history of a psycho bitch named Mary Poppins?  We can't have that bullshit in our state, nosiree.

I met Mary Poppins one morning at Disney World.  Bitch we're on vacation, my kids can have whip cream and chocolate chips on their waffles if they want and IDGAF about the calories when it's going to be 90+ by noon and 95% humidity. They will sweat it off and be fine. Damn.

Let's not fool ourselves.  If some grad school dipshit from the Linguistics Department (we have one?) had pitched a tent (uh huh huh) on the South Lawn one year ago, nothing would have ever been done about it.  People would point and laugh like they used to point and laugh at Leslie.

This is all about controlling the message and falling in line with the Governor.

• Hook 'Em 1