Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

22 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Bullshit. There have been aberrations in voting for 100 years.  You don’t think there’s anything we can do to improve our system?  What about the machines that have been found that benefit the R’s in the past? Don’t think there’s anything we can do to improve on that?  We have different systems for different states.  It takes weeks to get all the votes in.  That’s fucking stupid and we can manage better than that. 

This ignores the *fact* that the voting was accurate. As brisket said, of course there are improvements that can make things more efficient etc. 

But your line of “Of course Biden won but I wish we had a more stable voting system” is fucking part of the problem.  

Its stable as hell. The only reason people doubt it is because the MAGAts and Fox and OANN etc said don’t trust the vote. So their minions didn’t trust the vote.  Then the MAGATs and Fox and OANN ran polls where people didn’t trust the vote - so there must be something wrong?  This was a propogandist’s strategy.  There is nothing systematically wrong with our vote system that should have ever put the results in doubt.  Feed the sheep the lie then concern troll why all the sheep don’t have faith in the voting system. It’s a strategy and it’s abhorrent. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Bullshit. There have been aberrations in voting for 100 years.  You don’t think there’s anything we can do to improve our system?  What about the machines that have been found that benefit the R’s in the past? Don’t think there’s anything we can do to improve on that?  We have different systems for different states.  It takes weeks to get all the votes in.  That’s fucking stupid and we can manage better than that. 

I think having different systems in different states provides some resiliency. If a foreign power wants to truly attack a voting system, its hard for them to make much leeway now. A one stop shop makes it much easier for them to make big waves. 

Only things I would do is allow political observers (already allowed), allow foreign observers (like the UN), and maybe randomly link 2 states together to double check each other's counts (change the states every cycle) in close races.

Who cares how long it takes to count if you get it right? So a few more things I'd add.  Every state published the ballot count order prior to election day (absentee, mail-in, in-person or vice versa).  Voting demographics are known to vote differently from one another. It should be a felony for anyone to attempt to stop a count, to question the integrity of the election based on count order, or to declare a winner while the other candidate still has a statistical, even if unlikely, chance of winning. 

In short, there is really no problem with our system that just counted 150 million votes. The problem is that the loser needs to take the loss and stop being a pussy.  You don't get to make shit up to try to make the loss go away. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

The only narrative that it is rife with fraud is a FALSE one promoted by the insane wing of the GOP (that is, the whole GOP now).

I don't believe it's rife with fraud, and have never said anything close to the sort. 

37 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Come on.  We have problems with our voting "systems" in this country, but those related to ballot counting are absolutely dwarfed by malicious actions intended to suppress minority votes.  You're barking about the wrong thing.

No, we should fix that too.   I'm interested to hear what you suggest as far as drawing districts.  The only thing I've seen on this board is celebration that the census will be redone, and now they can be "fixed" for the left.  Turn about is fair play and all that, but are we really wanting to fix the system, or "fix" it?

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

Who cares how long it takes to count if you get it right? 

Several states dragging their ass this year did nothing but let more narrative build, and it absolutely had a role in the rising tensions that led to the 6th.   No expects NY to have their ballots done in 24 hours, but fucking AZ, NM, and others shouldn't have the problem.   

NO ONE in this country wants to feel like they've been cheated.  Minorities feel they have (often rightfully so) but it doesn't make it OK because you disagree with the other side.  There were reports coming out about votes that were input incorrectly causing large advances *that were caught, fixed, and explained*. I listened to that shit on NPR, not Fox.  IIRC something about she typed in 1250 and it went to 12500 or something of that sort.   Lady claims she did it correctly and it must have been computer glitch.  Either way it happened, was caught, and was fixed.  Ask yourself, with the Trump admin in office, if you started seeing some funky shit happening like that, your first thought wouldn't be this motherfucker is gaming something to stay in power?  You would have just thought Trump and his cronies were all on the up and up while 10's of thousands of votes hit the ledger at a 100% clip?  No.  The problem wasn't questioning the inconsistencies and weird shit that were found, it was the absolute inability to believe it was a mistake once it was caught, fixed, and explained away.  

1 hour ago, A-Tex Devil said:

But your line of “Of course Biden won but I wish we had a more stable voting system” is fucking part of the problem.  

Its stable as hell.

It's so fucking stable we've been thinking Russia fucked with the previous election, right?  So they did, or didn't, or it's stable, or it's not.  Or it wasn't stable then but is now?

50 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Focusing on tiny aberrations in voting systems state to state ignores FAR bigger problems like voter suppression and gerrymandering.  Take Alabama:

* voter ID is required, but public housing IDs don't count, thereby disenfranchising primarily minority voters

* voter registration sites were completely closed in primarily minority counties, requiring potential voters to travel 10s of miles in a car they don't own and on public transportation that doesn't exist

Or consider Harris County, TX, where they shut down all but one voter dropoff location for a county of nearly 5M people.

Come on.  We have problems with our voting "systems" in this country, but those related to ballot counting are absolutely dwarfed by malicious actions intended to suppress minority votes.  You're barking about the wrong thing.

Add the post office bullshit with the sorters and those mofos did their best to rig the election in their favor and still lost...  in a landslide. 

45 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Bullshit. There have been aberrations in voting for 100 years.  You don’t think there’s anything we can do to improve our system?

These "aberrations" typically result from human error and using them in the context of this thread and the 2020 election is disingenuous. As others have said better than I, there is no systemic or widespread voter fraud and there never has been. Voter fraud is exceptionally rare and there are numerous studies that support that claim. For example, in the 2016 election there were were a whopping four documented cases of voter fraud out of 136.6 million votes cast. 

Do you think the 147 Republican representatives and the 8 senators who voted against certifying the results of the election did so for justifiable reasons? Were their speeches and their votes based in facts and sound argument, or do you think it was it all performative protest to appease the pro-goon crowd?? Was there a connection between their actions and the actions of the domestic terrorists who overran the Capitol?

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Dude, russian did fuck with previous election. But it didn't do it by manipulating voting systems. It did it by manipulating voters. It isn't the same issue and it won't be solved by the same solution. The fact that you equate the two just shows how ignorant, arrogant, and/or willfully obtuse you are. 

Yep, it drives me nuts when I hear all the "Russia hoax" throaters ignore the crux of the argument that even HRC was making at the time. Russian actors interfered in the election by injecting massive propaganda via Twitter, Facebook, etc. The Senate Intelligence Committee report validated those claims about Russian interference and the right-wing continues to ignore that fact. 

Before a single vote was cast, Trump repeatedly said the only way he could lose would be if the election were rigged.

The R Senate refused to take up HB 2722, which would have required a paper trail from these voting machines. The House passed other election security bills which were ignored by the Senate.

Voting by mail has a paper trail built in to the system, but the POTUS continually sowed distrust in that voting method prior to the election.

It is hard not to see the insurrection as the culmination of an ongoing strategy. Reports that Trump appointees hamstrung capitol police response further supports that belief.

Conceding elections, after losing the vote, is in the best interest of the nation. Any person who puts personal ambition above the country’s best interest is a shitty person. A Party that supports an individual putting themselves above the country is a shitty Party. Rs need to clean up their shitty Party.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Damnit
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Yeah, all those Squad bitches are jus drama queens.

It’s not like they have been getting legitimate death threats that required the FBI to step in since the day they were sworn in or anything.

It’s not like Ilhan Omar got disgusting threats from one of the actual insurrectionists prior the the riot. And reported him to law enforcement authorities and nothing was done.

Just attention seeking dramatics, right???

Every single time a congressional member of the death cult attempts to say we should just move on from the insurrection in January it needs some heavy pushback. Just out of human decency we need to stamp out this mindset that has become a staple of the death cult. 

I believe in treating everyone as an equal and that includes those who perhaps one day might wish myself or loved ones harm because we do not hold racist, white nationalist or conspiratorial beliefs. No member of Congress, or citizen in this country, should ever have to live in fear like Congresswoman Tlaib does. This absolutely has to be brought to an end. If you are a sitting member of congress or the senate and hold those beliefs you need to be banned from the entire Capitol complex and your district or state immediately needs a special election to replace you. I wish the death cult party had the courage to stand up to their base and tell them that the hate engine has to cease to exist, but I know that will not transpire.  All that hate will just burn them up in the end. 

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

It's so fucking stable we've been thinking Russia fucked with the previous election, right?  So they did, or didn't, or it's stable, or it's not.  Or it wasn't stable then but is now?

You are being purposely obtuse. But whatever. 

There is election interference/voter misinformation and voter suppression. All of that is happening. 

What there is not is widespread voter fraud where actual cast ballots are being dumped, stolen, switched or miscounted.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Sometimes I forget that you are fucking retarded. Thank you for reminding me. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

I know we’re off on a “VotEr fRaUD” tangent but to bring it back to AOC and Tlaib and other members of “The Squad”....

I have have a real fucking problem with all these Republican men trying to belittle and mansplain how female trauma is fundamentally different than male trauma.

Until you spend your entire existence knowing 50% of the population is physically stronger and bigger than you. And live with the fear that the same 50% has a element of sexual violence that often accompanies physical violence that isn’t usually a threat to men.

And being told your whole life that it’s your responsibility to “act right” (don’t go anywhere alone at night, don’t dress a “certain way”, be “polite” to vulgar predators to placate them instead of pushing back, to take the responsibility to avoid “problems” instead of forcing the predators to “act right”, to just grin and bear and it.

Women live with a entirely unfair and unjust system that requires them to modify their existence in order to “be safe”.

All that conditioning from the time we’re faced with the fact that hatred from men includes an acknowledgment that any threat to use includes a calculation most men never have to even think about in passing.

Men may have to worry about getting beat up - women have to worry about sexual violence on top of physical violence.

Do we think Adam Schiff or Bernie Sanders or Ted Lieu get very detailed rape threats? No, of course not.

That element of threat to women adds an entire extra level of fear.

That manifests itself in more severe fear and anxiety and a trauma.

So for men to brush off that very significant element of the difference between how men and women deal with threats and the resulting lasting trauma.

So, in conclusion, until I hear these men acknowledge that there is an extra level of threat when it comes to women vs. men I invite them to shut the fuck up.

I wanted to post something along these lines, but I obviously would have been unable to explain it nearly as well as you.

Ted Cruz, Hawley, Gaetz, hell, even MTG can be (and often are) the biggest shit bag, loud-mouthed assholes imaginable, and the worst that happens to them is that John Oliver will spend 7 minutes on them on a random Sunday. On the other side, like you mention, no one's fantasizing about hate fucking Bernie.

Young female politicians are weighed and judged completely differently the second they dare to open their mouths. They live in a world where, if the wrong person recognizes them in a grocery store, things could get ugly quickly.

Edited by aggie08

4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I wonder if someone should set up a task for to investigate all these voting irregularities. I’m sure if they did they would find something right? What’s that you say? Oh Bush and Trump both did it and found nothing. Nah fuck all that. 

Fucking moron

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Sometimes I forget that you are fucking retarded. Thank you for reminding me. 

That actually hurts. When some of the intelligent posters here disagree, I can live with that.  But when someone on Rockos level feels that way, it’s time for some introspection.  Seriously, being clowned by futureman’s less talented sock is like a swift kick to the dick. 

• Haha 3

I mean that picture is funny as fuck, but I'm assuming the implied context of her saying she was a victim when she wasn't is what makes it not really okay. Am I missing something or is that it?

As a standalone image you can't say that's not funny, because I laughed, but in context I think it's pretty fucked up. 

16 minutes ago, immamac said:

I mean that picture is funny as fuck, but I'm assuming the implied context of her saying she was a victim when she wasn't is what makes it not really okay. Am I missing something or is that it?

As a standalone image you can't say that's not funny, because I laughed, but in context I think it's pretty fucked up. 

No, I feel pretty confident in saying there's absolutely nothing funny about it.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, immamac said:

I mean, calling women liars when they talk about their surviving an attack is HILARIOUS AMIRITE????

• Hook 'Em 4

21 minutes ago, immamac said:

So faceswaps aren't funny now? Cuz I still think they are. I get why this face swap was not funny in context, out of context still funny.

Timing is everything in life.  This was far too soon and far too embedded in incel culture to be funny, imho. What do think some of these insurrectionists would have done to AOC?  

1 hour ago, immamac said:

So faceswaps aren't funny now? Cuz I still think they are. I get why this face swap was not funny in context, out of context still funny.

Oh you mean if you ignore the context of the very real threats of her rape and murder then yea it’s fucking hilarious. 

Seriously man, just ignore the context. Jesus.

5 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Oh you mean if you ignore the context of the very real threats of her rape and murder then yea it’s fucking hilarious. 

Seriously man, just ignore the context. Jesus.

was making sure why it was fucked up. I didn't know if people thought it was fucked up because it was a chick on a dude or if it was the context. It was definitely the context which in this particular case is not in question.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, immamac said:

was making sure why it was fucked up. I didn't know if people thought it was fucked up because it was a chick on a dude or if it was the context. It was definitely the context which in this particular case is not in question.

No one here believes you’re that stupid

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Dress up an outright lie in a “funny meme”

Yep.  The meme - the right can't meme - is facts. It's an identifying feature of the devoted reactionary right (the bad guys).

And to my libertarian leaning friends: 

Spoiler

Your first principle and mine is:  Don't hurt people. 

The reactionary right is claiming libertarianism. Some of you right libertarians may want to listen to your left libertarian brothers and sisters right now.

You have fascists claiming your ideology. Show some fucking balls (with all due respect) and stop supporting the shitshow lumpen folk Trump stirred up. They are the shitshow no libertarian ever wants stirred up. Their actions lead to less freedom - which is anti-libertarianism. Peace is the libertarian ideal. 

libertarianism is the only strain of right ideology that has a moral basis for asserting the protection of freedom. Don't lose that moral basis to a cheap convention of brownshirt thugs and their major malfunctions. Please.

Have a good sunday.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

I mean, all manner of yucky things can be found funny by some but intent is more important than the humor.

That dumb meme wasn’t meant to be funny.

It was meant to put AOC in the same category of Jussie Smollet - who actually fabricated an attack by MAGAs for attention.

Literally none of that applies to what happened to AOC on January 6th. It’s a radical right wing attempt to deflect from the violence and sedition perpetuated by people like GRHorn and make it about the bullshit narrative that AOC is a lying attention seeker.

Impressionable yokels see that and it confirms their racist and sexist attitudes and thus becomes truth.

It’s dangerous and it is a tactic taken directly from disinformation efforts propagated by our foreign adversaries.

Dress up an outright lie in a “funny meme” and studies show that method has staying power in minds primed to believe that garbage more than an article or a tweet.

It’s part of the reason assholes like Trump and his merry band of fascists were successful.

The plausible deniability by dressing it up as a “joke” gives them cover for disseminating lies and propaganda.

So no, stripping away the intent to reduce it to “just for laughs” plays right into their strategy of trying to minimize their complicity and attempts to victim blame and flip the narrative away from the culpability and redirect to blaming the victims.

It’s garbage and not the least bit funny. Stripping away the disgusting intent renders any feeble attempt at “It’s just jokes guys! Why so serious?” moot.

TL;DR - no, it’s not funny.

I’m just glad to hear someone from the far left FINALLY admit that juicy smollet lied and faked the whole thing. That’s a step in the right direction 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 11

1 minute ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I’m just glad to hear someone from the far left FINALLY admit that juicy smollet lied and faked the whole thing. That’s a step in the right direction 

Bitch what the fuck are you talking about, he was not some lionized martyr like y'all treat rittenhouse and MTG. Lurk more. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, immamac said:

You may be smart with computers or whatever you are a dumb motherfucker. Or an outright dishonest one. Pick your poison, they both suck. 

No whataboutism, was honestly just a pleasant surprise to hear that from folks as there was a LOT of defending and pretending and even some "well even if it's not true, it could have easily been true" mental gymnastics. And I don't know that I saw that here, but in the broader conversation nationally.

And I never even said anyone here were the ones really defending him (and not lionizing him) as, though we have a handful, I wouldn't even say we have a lot of far left people on this board which I made sure to qualify were the loons defending Juicy.

100% I stopped reading that lady's post after I saw she said that and responded in a "Yes, thank You!" appreciative type response. It was not in response to anything she was going on and on about, or anything about AoC or anything she might have been responding to.

So yea, a couple of people create strawmans regarding what I said and then try and say I was doing that....well, every accusation is a confession, as folks like to say.

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

No whataboutism, was honestly just a pleasant surprise to hear that from folks as there was a LOT of defending and pretending and even some "well even if it's not true, it could have easily been true" mental gymnastics. And I don't know that I saw that here, but in the broader conversation nationally.

And I never even said anyone here were the ones really defending him (and not lionizing him) as, though we have a handful, I wouldn't even say we have a lot of far left people on this board which I made sure to qualify were the loons defending Juicy.

100% I stopped reading that lady's post after I saw she said that and responded in a "Yes, thank You!" appreciative type response. It was not in response to anything she was going on and on about, or anything about AoC or anything she might have been responding to.

So yea, a couple of people create strawmans regarding what I said and then try and say I was doing that....well, every accusation is a confession, as folks like to say.

Don't double down on stupidness. 

• Like 4

Just now, Dahobbs said:

Don't double down on stupidness. 

okay sure, cool, hook 'em.

I will say, 2021 is a year of unity; Trump is out, Biden is in; we all hate Hedge Funds and all we all agree that Juicy Smollet faked a hate crime.

The further 2020 is in the rear view the better 2021 is looking!

6 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

okay sure, cool, hook 'em.

I will say, 2021 is a year of unity; Trump is out, Biden is in; we all hate Hedge Funds and all we all agree that Juicy Smollet faked a hate crime.

The further 2020 is in the rear view the better 2021 is looking!

I don't think even Smollet defends himself anymore. You've created an imaginary far left in your head that still supports Smollet. Nobody gives a shit about him except those that use his actions to deny that racism still exists. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I don't think even Smollet defends himself anymore. You've created an imaginary far left in your head that still supports Smollet. Nobody gives a shit about him except those that use his actions to deny that racism still exists. 

I mean, a simple google search says otherwise (it appears we both haven't kept up with the foolishness that is the fake hate crime), but enough of a derail, I'd say.

Oh fuck off.

Most of us “on the far left” - and many people here would laugh in your blank face at categorizing me as such - gave him the benefit of the doubt until the facts came out and then we all roundly condemned him.

You need to venture out of your reading of headlines and watching Tucker Carlson.

Your act isn’t fooling anyone.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1