John Bonney is grad transferring

Machinator

• Machinator changed the title to John Bonney is grad transferring
18 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Isn’t it a little late for that?  Is he going to sit out this year?  Does he even have a redshirt left?

I get it to an extent since he’s been jumped by the freshmen at safety, but he needed to see the writing on the wall sooner.

These guys are competitors, with a lot of confidence. It's kinda against their nature to accept they're not good enough, 'cos that's when you start settling. It happens.

Good for him.  He has 1 year of football left and wants to see significant playing time.  He was getting passed up here so I don't blame him going elsewhere.  Good luck to the young man both in football this year and in life.  Thanks for all you did for the university.

• Like 4

Wow... Didn't see that coming at least preseason. He's been out recruited which is amazing since he never settled on a position anywhere. I remember first seeing him in the '15 spring game and thinking he was a beast at nickle lol. He seemed a lot better last season in orlando's system but 2016 me will be glad to never see him at corner again.

That said, never gave me a reason to hate him off the field and always seemed to work hard so I hope he gets a shot at a smaller school to ball out before joining the workforce. 

• Like 3

Shit, there's six more days until the end of the summer session according to my department head.  Of course, he wouldn't make it as a Dean.  Maybe a position coach.  I wish the young man well, just genuinely surprised he already got that clearing or got it so late. One way or the other.  Must have been finishing some summer credits that had no final exam attached to the course.  

Started the first game of his freshman season. Out of the two deep as a senior.

This says so much about the state of the program a few years ago vs today. I really missed on the evaluation of Bonney. I thought since he played significant minutes early he was a stud. I didn’t realize at the time our teams sucked as bad as they did.

29 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

I wish him well. Saw him make a few good plays - don't recall any great ones, much less any HOLYFUCKINGSHIT!! ones, so...

The interception he had against OU last season was pretty great, but other than that he was more solid depth than an impact player.

• Like 1

This says so much about the state of the program a few years ago vs today. I really missed on the evaluation of Bonney. I thought since he played significant minutes early he was a stud. I didn’t realize at the time our teams sucked as bad as they did.

I think Ed Freeman also started that ND game.

Wish it would've worked out for him, but seems like he maxed out on potential. He wasn't ever fast or quick enough to be isolated on an island, but I do think he improved greatly from his RS Freshman year to last year, he actually looked confident and in the right spots last year. Hard to be a RS Senior and see some 18 year olds pass you up though. Let him go get that playing time at another D-I school and enjoy what he worked hard for, being a high-floor/low-ceiling guy that can be dependable.

Also, give him credit for opening up the new wave of Houston Lamar guys, he led to Holton, Holton to our 3 new freshmen. Before Bonney it had been since Orakpo.

21 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

Wish it would've worked out for him, but seems like he maxed out on potential...

You bet. What I don't get is that, given his goal of playing NFL ball (assuming he had that dream) is pretty clearly not gonna happen, what does gain him to be playing another year at some school that needs/wants a DB who can't quite make it at Texas? I'd think that he'd be better off spending his last year in our program and taking every opportunity to make and solidify the connections a varsity football player in Austin has offered every day. Well... maybe he's just angling for a grad program at Yale, or maybe Rice, or maybe FAU or some other Florida Directional University?

31 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

38-3 didn't crystallize it for you? 

giphy.gif

26 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

You bet. What I don't get is that, given his goal of playing NFL ball (assuming he had that dream) is pretty clearly not gonna happen, what does gain him to be playing another year at some school that needs/wants a DB who can't quite make it at Texas? I'd think that he'd be better off spending his last year in our program and taking every opportunity to make and solidify the connections a varsity football player in Austin has offered every day. Well... maybe he's just angling for a grad program at Yale, or maybe Rice, or maybe FAU or some other Florida Directional University?

Maybe he loves the game and just wants to get some real playing time for the first time in his career. He's clearly capable. Maybe he wants a leg up on a grad degree. I'd think the connections he made here are already solidified, he's a graduate and a 4-year player.

21 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

Maybe he loves the game and just wants to get some real playing time for the first time in his career. He's clearly capable. Maybe he wants a leg up on a grad degree. I'd think the connections he made here are already solidified, he's a graduate and a 4-year player.

Done sucked all the juice outta Texas? Looking for a fresh squeeze? I tend to believe Grad School angle is more likely than love of the game - but I'm not familiar with his studies. Anybody got some scholastic info on him?

31 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

Not to quibble, but Bonney had tons of “real playing time” here. 

Bonney will hurt. He knew how to play every position in the secondary and was reliable when needed. Smart player and valuable depth. Hopefully he goes somewhere he can play full time and get a crack at the NFL (like Adrian Colbert a few years ago). He's earned it.

Cuffee just got recruited over. Good luck to him, hopefully he catches on somewhere.

Hook 'Em! Bring on the kids!

Good luck to you John.  A good Longhorn.

Gotta think he has something worked out with somebody this late in the cycle.  

Whoever said UH is probably a pretty good bet.  

edit: Well,  I didn't catche the Lubbock in the tweet.  

Edited by Laga4

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

How many Mack Brown recruits are left now? Beck? Rodriguez (was he?)? That's all I've got without looking.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Posted on the spring thread. Just Heard and Andrew Beck. Rodriguez was a Strong offer and commit.

I missed one. Patrick Vahe was a Mack recruit.