¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

State wildlife officials estimate there are as many as 100,000 pythons living in the vast swamps outside Miami. The snakes pose significant threats to native wildlife.

Holy shit, I knew they were a menace there but I had no idea there were so many.

Number is probably low...   When we used to go out to 10k islands people would struggle to keep the raccoons out of your food/coolers...basically they had bolt cutters and plasma torches...  nothing was safe.   Don't have that problem any more.  Mammals are getting wiped out in the Everglades.

Precipitous declines in formerly common mammals in Everglades National Park, southern Florida, have been linked to the presence of invasive Burmese Pythons (Python molurus bivittatus), according to a U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) coauthored study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (http://dx.doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1115226109).

The study, the first to document the ecological impacts of this invasive species, strongly supports that animal communities in this 1.5-million-acre park have been markedly altered by the proliferation of pythons, particularly since 2000. Mid-sized mammals are the most drastically affected.

The most severe declines, including a nearly complete disappearance of raccoons, rabbits, and opossums, have occurred in the remote southernmost regions of the park, where pythons have been established the longest. In this area, populations of raccoons dropped 99.3 percent, opossums 98.9 percent, and bobcats 87.5 percent. Marsh and cottontail rabbits, as well as foxes, were not seen at all.

https://soundwaves.usgs.gov/2012/04/research2.html

Edited by Loco

13 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I've bet there have been some epic alligator v. python battles the world has never seen.

Truth both are competing for the apex predator trophy in Florida. It's like a Godzilla movie. Between the pythons, gators and Florida Man, its time for the nation to take extreme measures.

Operation Bugs Bunny

giphy.gif

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thestud said:

Lady opened her screen door and three rat sneks fell from overhead. Lady freaked and called 911. Cops came and only found one snek. It was good snek so they relocated good snek away from stupid lady. Sneks were apparently trying to get to a bird nest on stupid lady’s front porch.

I just lifted the picture off of KXAN's fb page without reading the story, not realizing it's from last year. Whoops. Mabad, y'all. 

19 hours ago, Loco said:

Number is probably low...   When we used to go out to 10k islands people would struggle to keep the raccoons out of your food/coolers...basically they had bolt cutters and plasma torches...  nothing was safe.   Don't have that problem any more.  Mammals are getting wiped out in the Everglades.

https://soundwaves.usgs.gov/2012/04/research2.html

I don't get as worked up about "invasive species" in the US as most people.  Species's have been invading North America for 500 years, and we're still here.

1 minute ago, Parliament said:

I don't get as worked up about "invasive species" in the US as most people.  Species's have been invading North America for 500 years, and we're still here.

I don't know, kudzu, hydrillia, those stupid snails...

1 hour ago, DaysOff said:

Because of this thread I watch where I step and am constantly looking for sneks. I've seen one ribbon snake. Swayze goes on a stroll and finds like 7 deadly snakes.

Same here.  I used to walk around downtown Austin without a concern in the world, and after reading this thread I'm constantly on alert for sneks.  Stresses me out.

13 hours ago, SurlyBDR said:

I just lifted the picture off of KXAN's fb page without reading the story, not realizing it's from last year. Whoops. Mabad, y'all. 

KVUE just ran a story about it this morning.  APD tweeted it out yesterday telling people to call 9-1-1 to have a officer come out to relocate snakes.  Really, 9-1-1 for a non-venomous snake?

On 4/8/2019 at 8:50 AM, SquishMitten said:

The math doesn’t seem quite right. They said 1,600 people went out and only found 68 pythons. Seems like they should’ve found way more than that

It's like 8000 square miles.  It's all a pain in the ass to get to. Plus these  things are camouflage and can hide underwater.  They need to figure out a way to trap them or sterilize them 

44 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

It's like 8000 square miles.  It's all a pain in the ass to get to. Plus these  things are camouflage and can hide underwater.  They need to figure out a way to trap them or sterilize them 

That park is only about 1,100 square miles, which is admittedly still an enormous area. But keeping the reference in acres is what prompted my comment... 700,000 acres, with allegedly 100,000 pythons. Seems like 1,600 people could do a bit better.

26 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

That park is only about 1,100 square miles, which is admittedly still an enormous area. But keeping the reference in acres is what prompted my comment... 700,000 acres, with allegedly 100,000 pythons. Seems like 1,600 people could do a bit better.

1 snek for every 7 acres isn't exactly snek island

22 hours ago, South Austin said:

The distinct pattern suggests one of the most venomous snakes in North America, if not the world.  Congrats on releasing a killer.

This world ain’t for pussies, and I’ll be damned if I’m gonna make it any easier. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Maybe. Not really. But even then, I am thinking it’s some nerodia species because of the yellow belly.

I thought that the snake swimming completely on top of the water notated venomous due to the venomous snakes swimming with fully inflated lungs.