Cool traditions at other schools

Beau Vine

What other colleges have cool traditions?  (Shaddup aggy, I said "traditions," not "turditions.")

Today, my daughter was on the administrative end (with Blue Key Honor Society) of one of the coolest traditions of any college... Every Colorado School of Mines freshman brings a 10-pound rock from their home town, carries it up the mountain behind campus, dunks it in white paint, and puts it on the M. And then gets drenched in leftover white paint.

When she graduates in May 2020, she'll walk back up there and take down a rock to keep.

Here's last year's M Climb (pardon the "music"):

• Like 1

Jump Around at Wiscy is pretty cool in person.

Sun Devil tradition of leaving at half, pounding a few at the bar across the street, and returning mid third quarter is over since there are no more re-entries allowed this year.  Selling beer on the concourse though.  So there’s that.

• Like 1

The Class  Ring did not originate at West Point.

They stole the idea from aggy.

One of the cool things that the academies do is a parade in August right after they have finished initial training that signifies the Freshman Class joining the student body of roughly 4000.  Then upon graduation their Senior year, they have a parade again to kick their asses into the real world.

Very symbolic, but awesome representation of the student body.

I know that we love to pick on A&M here, but they do have some really cool traditions that get to the heart of what it really means to be an Aggie. For example, even though they've switched conferences, A&M has still continued the tradition of getting their asses kicked in their Thanksgiving weekend game.

Edited by HornOnTheBayou
  • Like 2

When I was student manager of the cafeteria at UNC-Asheville, the school had a tradition of assigning cafeteria work as punishment for dorm offences, whatever those were.

As you may guess, a dude who is a minor fuck-up in a dorm may not be one of the 300 Spartans when it comes to work, but my bosses loved the free labor and would schedule these guys instead of the paid employees.

On their arrival, they'd tell me something like "The other student-manager lets me go after 15 minutes and gives me credit for the whole shift."

I'd say "I'll give you credit for the whole shift at the end of the whole shift, because I NEED you to sling eggs."

They didn't like that. But if I had a chance, I'd put them out back breaking down boxes, and I'd let them go 30 minutes early if they'd sing chain-gang songs.

Of course they didn't know any chain-gang songs. So I taught them.

It's been decades. Who knows what traditions lasts. But if you're ever in Asheville, drive up that hill, drive up behind the cafeteria. Drive slow.

And listen.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

St. Patrick's Day at Missouri-Rolla (now Missouri University of Science & Technology) is certifiably insane.

Painting the street green is apparently another St. Paddy's tradition in Rolla, Mo.

The week is capped off at the football stadium by initiating new members of the St. Pat's Board in a vat called "Alice", which is basically a dumpster or swimming pool full of vomit, piss, shit, rotten food, beer, and God knows what else.  They started dialing it back after I was there . . . too much liability:

20 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

St. Patrick's Day at Missouri-Rolla (now Missouri University of Science & Technology) is certifiably insane.

Painting the street green is apparently another St. Paddy's tradition in Rolla, Mo.

The week is capped off at the football stadium by initiating new members of the St. Pat's Board in a vat called "Alice", which is basically a dumpster or swimming pool full of vomit, piss, shit, rotten food, beer, and God knows what else.  They started dialing it back after I was there . . . too much liability:

wtf

On 8/18/2018 at 11:12 AM, SDG said:

It’s fairly new but I always get a little dusty when the Iowa fans wave at the kids in the children’s hospital overlooking the stadium.   

Holy Crap...serious dust storm in my office.  And I really don't like Tom Rinaldi all that much

• Like 1

FSU Chief Osceola pregame flaming spear in the grass with tomahawk chop throughout the stadium is the coolest 3rd party tradition I've seen in person

Clemson Howard's Rock

Ole Miss Walk of Champions

are are also pretty cool as a casual observer.

Dumbest thing that people seem to get excited over:  Who dots the  " i  " at Ohio State.

I'm biased of course, but Pistol Pete blasting his shotgun and scaring the shit out of everyone is pretty cool. I'm a big pinko lib by today's standards, but I'd riot in the streets if any attempt to make him stop doing that ever caught any traction.  

On 8/18/2018 at 11:58 AM, Helobious said:

For a school full of smart kids, that Mines rock tradition honestly sounds pretty stupid.

On 8/20/2018 at 5:32 AM, Fudge Nuggets said:

The 10 lb rock thing sounds stupid as fuck.  Maybe cool for a bunch of dorks, I guess.

Y'all are so unbelievably perfect together.

The WV mountaineers have a long standing tradition of taking their sister to the game and if WV wins they get to fuck Sissy without a condom and if WV loses they get to fuck Sissy without a condom. Ask Whitman, it is the main reason he has season tickets and travels to all away games.