Post a pic that makes you say "Holy shit."

Born Burnt

worm that normally is parasitic in Snek's found in Aussy womans brain.

worm was eating her brain for roughly 2 months.....

serious nightmare fuel

When a 64-year-old Australian woman was sent to hospital for brain surgery, neurosurgeon Dr. Hari Priya Bandi was not expecting to pull out a live 8-centimeter (3-inch) long parasitic roundworm that wriggled between her forceps.

“I’ve only come across worms using my not-so-good gardening skills … I find them terrifying and this is not something I deal with at all,” Bandi told CNN of the world’s first discovery of a live worm inside a human brain.

The finding unleashed a mad scramble to find out what exactly the parasite was, Canberra Hospital infectious disease expert Sanjaya Senanayake told CNN.

One colleague in the hospital lab was able to reach an animal parasitology expert at a governmental scientific research agency just 20 minutes away – and found their unexpected answer.

“We were able to send the live wiggling worm to him, and he was able to look at it and immediately identify it,” Senanayake said.

Molecular tests confirmed it was Ophidascaris robertsi, a roundworm usually found in pythons, according to a press release from the Australian National University and the Canberra Hospital.

“To our knowledge, this is also the first case to involve the brain of any mammalian species, human or otherwise,” said Senanayake, who is also a professor at Australian National University.

Researchers say the patient lived near a lake area inhabited by carpet pythons in southeastern New South Wales. Although she did not have direct contact with the reptiles, it’s likely she caught the roundworm after foraging Warrigal greens, a native leafy vegetable, which she cooked and ate.

The doctors and scientists involved in her case theorized that a carpet python might have spread the parasite via its feces into the greens, which the patient then touched and cross-contaminated with food or other cooking utensils.

• Rage+1 2

13 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Great. Now we have brain worms.  

Only need to worry about that if you eat python poop:

(from the story above):  

it’s likely she caught the roundworm after foraging Warrigal greens, a native leafy vegetable, which she cooked and ate.”

“The doctors and scientists involved in her case theorized that a carpet python might have spread the parasite via its feces into the greens, which the patient then touched and cross-contaminated with food or other cooking utensils.”

55 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Which is a crime, because Old School Pizza Hut slammed and went hard.

I never looked down on Pizza Hut, but never looked forward to it either.  We were just fortunate to have lotsa great local pizza joints around us in Chicago, so Pizza Hut wasn't really on the radar.  But when they'd have personal pan pizza day at school (we didn't have a hot lunch offering until high school, just brown bags) once a quarter, we loved it.  I think I maybe had it once in Austin after I moved here.  Visting wife's family in rural Kansas many times, I realized Pizza Hut is King up there and in many areas like it.  

csbalert/ We were in a shithole of shitholes called Osborne, KS for a wedding.  The one motel in town is a miserable rat-infested dump with no A/C and it's 95 in July.  I've been all over Latin America, West Africa, and the worst parts of every major American city that most of you would never walk into unarmed.  This place was maybe the worst hellhole in Western Civilization.  The town was nothing but meth heads and malaria.  First couple showers I took wouldn't take, just started sweating and tried to cool down in the rental car.  I gave up after I sweated through my wedding suit before the opening vows, never mind the dancing and cleanup duties.  A block away from dive motel was this Pizza Hut.  Brand fucking new for this town of 2,000 people.  Sparkling like the Vegas strip coming in from Barstow.  I brought my dopp kit and a change of clothes.  Took effectively a "shower" in their sink area.  A/C was 70 and place was as clean as a chip supplier.  I washed my underarms and face and hair like we all have in a rush.  Shaved.  Then took some wipes to my chest and balls before I got dressed.  Of course, employee walks in like "what the fuck?" I was politely asked to dress and leave, which made sense at the time.  I have not been back to a Pizza Hut since, mostly due to shame but also some court orders.  I was leaving campus the other day turning left onto Guadalupe from MLK to head across the river.  That abandoned Pizza Hut with all the graffiti at that SE corner?  Across at 7-11 is an APD cruiser, pulling out.  Plain sight a homeless dude is blowing another homeless dude at that Pizza Hut and APD doesn't bat an eye.  And I thought, "Okay, so I'm the banned Pizza Hut pervert?"  And I laughed because as MLK and the Drag have changed, there's a couple guys in Osborne, KS crying in their Thunderbird wines right now saying 'remember when that pizza hut over there was brand new and not overrun by meth heads giving out handies for cheesesticks?'     Or something, I dunno.  /csb 

I always enjoyed that salad bar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I bet it's cool, but it's in Topeka.  

Well, if you do make it to Topeka and the Knievel Museum, continue west for another 2.5 hours to Cawker City.  To see the World's Largest Ball of Twine:

http://www.kansastravel.org/balloftwine.htm

And yes, we stopped there on the way to a wedding in the most miserable shithole I've ever seen.  And I've been to Detroit.

East St. Louis?

11 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I bet it's cool, but it's in Topeka.  

Well, if you do make it to Topeka and the Knievel Museum, continue west for another 2.5 hours to Cawker City.  To see the World's Largest Ball of Twine:

http://www.kansastravel.org/balloftwine.htm

And yes, we stopped there on the way to a wedding in the most miserable shithole I've ever seen.  And I've been to Detroit.

Ha! I've been there. We drove up to Lincoln for the game where it started snowing in the second half. We were playing in Lubbock the next week so we figured we'd hit that one too. On the way to the Hub City, we decided to check out the world's largest ball of twine. I admit, I had never seen a ball of twine that big before - or since.

/very csb

Edited by Steel Shank
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Steel Shank said:

Ha! I've been there. We drove up to Lincoln for the game where it started snowing in the second half. We were playing in Lubbock the next week so we figured we'd hit that one too. On the way to the Hub City, we decided to check out the world's largest ball of twine. I admit, I had never seen a ball of twine that big before - or since.

/very csb

IMG_0801.webp

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/29/2023 at 10:05 PM, Chooky said:

Somewhere, out there, there's an even bigger ball of twine than the one in Cawker City.  There has to be.

Yeah, but it's probably Commie twine, so that doesn't count.

On 8/29/2023 at 5:40 PM, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I called and some attorney yelled at me. Y'all sure about this one?

Try 459-2222

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Crapinon said:

I sell this stuff for a living. The only thing those lanyards will stop is him hitting the ground. If he fell connected like that, he would die from a broken back or massive internal organ damage. 

can you explain your reasoning?  that looks like a full body harness and it would be a very short drop before it caught him.  where does “massive internal organ damage” come in. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, futureman said:

can you explain your reasoning?  that looks like a full body harness and it would be a very short drop before it caught him.  where does “massive internal organ damage” come in. 

Chinese manufactured harness v western manufactured harness 

4 hours ago, futureman said:

It gets really complicated but if you notice he (illegally in the US) has two lanyards connected together (making a loop) at his feet. If he falls, he's going to fall at least 6' (lanyard length) plus the distance from where his back d-ring is before the fall to where it rest after the fall (probably at least a foot over his head. When he hits the end of his fall, he's generating something around 380-400 lbs of force or more assuming he weighs 180 lbs. Think what would happen if you had a harness on where you only fell 1 foot but you had and extra 200+ pounds tied to your feet. And all that force was concentrated in 10 or so square inches of your crotch. Then the harness is going to squeeze around your rib cage from the force of the fall, breaking your ribs (and possibly snapping your spine) and shoving them like shrapnel into your intestines. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Crapinon said:

It gets really complicated but if you notice he (illegally in the US) has two lanyards connected together (making a loop) at his feet. If he falls, he's going to fall at least 6' (lanyard length) plus the distance from where his back d-ring is before the fall to where it rest after the fall (probably at least a foot over his head. When he hits the end of his fall, he's generating something around 380-400 lbs of force or more assuming he weighs 180 lbs. Think what would happen if you had a harness on where you only fell 1 foot but you had and extra 200+ pounds tied to your feet. And all that force was concentrated in 10 or so square inches of your crotch. Then the harness is going to squeeze around your rib cage from the force of the fall, breaking your ribs (and possibly snapping your spine) and shoving them like shrapnel into your intestines. 

image.gif.8e7bd21497c4608fc16b496822edb78e.gif

• Haha 1