Trivial things that please the ever living shit out of you

Tailleur17

8 hours ago, nnm said:

I’m in Scotland this week for meetings Monday-Wed. Thursday and Friday are free days in Edinburgh with Mrs. NNM. So far I’ve had 8 whiskys I’ve never tried before. Today a distillery visit. 

The only downside is figuring out how to transport home all the bottles I’ve bought for myself and friends. Any suggestions?

Keister them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

34 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Not trivial. But since we switched to T-Mobile 5G Internet, we have not had service outages. 10000000x more reliable than cox. 

What’s your download and upload speed?  I live in the country in ETX and the only service I can get is about 20 Mbps up and down. 5g is available around here, so I’m curious about real world use. 
Do you get knocked down in speed in the evenings and other high traffic times?

Also, what's the latency?  I just ditched T-Mobile for Spectrum mobile, and don't really want to get back to them after the "un-carrier" started doing the same crap every other carrier did, and at $130 / month vs $29.99 with Spectrum.  But the location I'm at is crap for most ISPs (Spectrum 500 clocks around 200mbps, while AT&T can offer UP TO 50mbps).

4 hours ago, nnm said:

What’s your download and upload speed?  I live in the country in ETX and the only service I can get is about 20 Mbps up and down. 5g is available around here, so I’m curious about real world use. 

I use Tmo wireless Internet as a backup failover for Cox. Tmo gives me roughly 90/20 speed and roughly 40ms ping. Cox is about 20ms latency.

Speeds will definitely differ by area, and with 5g it will differ even from house to house. Tmo gives you a 14day trial period, I suggest you just sign up and try it out.

Tangent, Tmo has great plan pricing for people aged 55+. They aren't very publicized. If someone in your household is over 55, have them get a plan and move other family members onto it - supplemental members don't need to be 55+. I'm not sure how many supplemental members are allowed on a 55+ plan, at least 2.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sam Lin said:

Tangent, Tmo has great plan pricing for people aged 55+. They aren't very publicized. If someone in your household is over 55, have them get a plan and move other family members onto it - supplemental members don't need to be 55+. I'm not sure how many supplemental members are allowed on a 55+ plan, at least 2.

Very interesting. Someone in my household just turned 55 today!

11 hours ago, nnm said:

As of 6:45 PST, it’s about 120 down, 25 up. It varies quite a bit, but always fast enough for us watching movie, YouTube and playing video game at the same time.

There are times when it’s 40 down and 90 up. Really varies.

My wife has T-Mobile for her phone, so we knew beforehand we would get good coverage (5 bars).

Verizon also offers 5G service. It’s supposed to be faster than T-Mobile and more expensive.

Edit: Latency is 13 ms.

Edited by Superhero
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 8:54 PM, Superhero said:

As of 6:45 PST, it’s about 120 down, 25 up. It varies quite a bit, but always fast enough for us watching movie, YouTube and playing video game at the same time.

There are times when it’s 40 down and 90 up. Really varies.

My wife has T-Mobile for her phone, so we knew beforehand we would get good coverage (5 bars).

Verizon also offers 5G service. It’s supposed to be faster than T-Mobile and more expensive.

Edit: Latency is 13 ms.

Just installed it. Here is my latest speed test on my old ISP (“People’s Internet” of East Texas), compared to my new T-Mobile 5G.

TBD if it is consistently decently fast, but it’s hard to believe it’s going to get worse than my old ISP. IMG_2293.jpeg.1bf7cec1c1a395c340edb84c080143ec.jpeg

Edited by nnm

My kid (11) has always been into music from the time she was a toddler. Lately she’s been into some EDM/Rap fusion BS that I really don’t get. I tried to ask her what she enjoys about it but if she knows she’s not telling, because apparently I wouldn’t understand her music. Yesterday on the way home I caught her singing along to a Wade Bowen/ Guy Clark song and it made my little heart smile.

• Like 3

Went to Total Wine to pick up some Johnny Walker Green (I like the flavor a lot and it’s only $50). Buy 2 and get $12 off. No need to tell me twice.

Peruse the shelves and notice they have Hibiki Harmony on the shelves for $80. It’s been really hard to find, and the lowest price elsewhere has been $100.

I bought 2 more to keep company with the other 2 in my cabinet. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Wulaw Hornclosed my mortgage on Friday, so now I own two houses.  He and his people are good, smooth transaction, would (and I hope to) buy money from him again.

A more important endorsement, however, came from my title lady - we've done a few closings together, and she had nothing but good things to say about them.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Where were you and how was the snow?

We went to Mammoth. The snow wasn’t good. Mostly packed and icy, with a few powdery spots in the shade.

It snowed last Tuesday, and I heard everything before and after was man-made.

I still had a great time because the whole family got to ski / snowboard together for the first time. The slopes were pretty easy - some were rated blue/black, but easier than blues at other resorts. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

While we’re talking about that, there are few things that match the satisfaction of a cold cut sandwich smorgasbord for lunch on a hot day fishing, especially when the guide service is providing lunch. Pulled from the top layer of an ice chest, cool food washed down with a few ice cold diet cokes. Especially rewarding after a morning of landing fish and knowing that more are to come.

I don’t care if it’s on a drift boat on a trout stream, or in the galley or shaded cockpit of a sport fisherman offshore in the blue water.

But the latter often includes a catnap on the trip back to the dock, with the engine harmonics providing a white noise cocoon.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:

While we’re talking about that, there are few things that match the satisfaction of a cold cut sandwich smorgasbord for lunch on a hot day fishing, especially when the guide service is providing lunch. Pulled from the top layer of an ice chest, cool food washed down with a few ice cold diet cokes. Especially rewarding after a morning of landing fish and knowing that more are to come.

I don’t care if it’s on a drift boat on a trout stream, or in the galley or shaded cockpit of a sport fisherman offshore in the blue water.

But the latter often includes a catnap on the trip back to the dock, with the engine harmonics providing a white noise cocoon.

Best beer I ever tasted was when I was about 14 years old. There’d been a gully-washer downpour and it washed out some of the watershed watercourses that supplied our village’s water system. The local yokel contractor convinced a buddy and me to help him dig all day to get the water flowing.

The contractor used a backhoe, my buddy and I basic shovels. It was a hot day and we worked our tails off. At the end of the day the contractor broke out a little cooler and gave each of us an ice cold Coors.

I never liked Coors again after that day, but that day it was nectar of the gods. Absolute bliss sitting on a stump, covered in mud and sweat, as that ice cold, slightly bitter stuff flowed down my throat. I’ve had great beers in bars, I’ve enjoyed other beers after a hard days work or at a September football game. But that beer, that day—so awesome, and I’ve never had a beer that came close since. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

Having a company and bosses who aren’t uptight about drinking at the office.

My team had back to back to back meetings today. After our last meeting ended at 3, I got back to my desk and poured a round of Bourbon for the team. If my boss was around, he would have joined us.

Too bad we were drinking shitty Five Nine. Smooth, but bland and boring.

• Like 1

Trying a new food and having it be completely awesome.  Found some garlic-Cheese stuffed cherry peppers at Sams.  

Perfect heat with the cold, creamy cheese is just great.  They are also packed in vegetable oil instead of vinegar, so they don't just have the supoer acidic punch in the palate like other such items have.

0069143000627_A

The paramedic in the back of the ambulance tonight managed to get an IV into me while driving over very rough roads in a construction zone.  I’m fine, just a little scare, but that guy hitting the vein cleanly on the first try while navigating a construction zone. Tip of the cap sir.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

The paramedic in the back of the ambulance tonight managed to get an IV into me while driving over very rough roads in a construction zone.  I’m fine, just a little scare, but that guy hitting the vein cleanly on the first try while navigating a construction zone. Tip of the cap sir.

Hope you’re ok. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yesterday after a long week out of town for work, flight home was delayed twice and bumped to 1PM, I wasn't optimistic, so I rented a car and drove home 7.5 hours.  I still beat the eventual flight here by 3 hours.

It wasn't the airlines fault- they gotta be safe, but sitting in the airport all day versus a definitive amount of time in a car was an easy decision.

On 1/16/2024 at 12:14 PM, Superhero said:

Doctor measured my blood pressure this morning.  117/71.  Hell yeah! 

Maybe it's less stress at work, but I've also been loading up on magnesium, potassium and hibiscus flower powder. All are supposed to lower blood pressure.

On 1/18/2024 at 5:41 PM, Superhero said:

Maybe it's less stress at work, but I've also been loading up on magnesium, potassium and hibiscus flower powder. All are supposed to lower blood pressure.

I hope your doc drew blood to check your electrolytes while you were there.  Extreme high or low levels of things like magnesium, potassium or calcium can have, how should I put this, less than ideal effects on your heart.

• Like 1

Misspoke. Actually just taking the recommended daily amount.

Previous BP reading was 124/78. So this wasn’t a shock, but still happy to see it dropping.

Compare this to 4 years ago when I had bad heart arrhythmia. I went to urgent care and my BP was 185/135. That was scary. 

19 hours ago, SurlyGator said:

I hope your doc drew blood to check your electrolytes while you were there.  Extreme high or low levels of things like magnesium, potassium or calcium can have, how should I put this, less than ideal effects on your heart.

Too much potassium is bad-arrhythmias, etc.  Too much magnesium = colonoscopy prep, you mostly just blow it out.  I take 1200 mg per day.  Magnesium serum levels are essentially useless unless you’re a pregnant female or at end of life. Calcium high is problematic, keep your vitamin D up.  No idea on hibiscus powder, offhand it sounds like another açaí berry marketing scam to me.  Maybe not, data is inconsistent.  Take it easy on the potassium, 99mg = 1 mEq per day, listen to your doc on that.

• Like 1

I went camping with the boy last weekend. Even though it was cold and we were cabin camping, he still insisted on peeing outdoors. He found a tree that needed watering, and subsequently peed on it instead of using a toilet.

He's been doing so since our first camping trip together. I know @Brisketexan would also approve.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Superhero said:

I went camping with the boy last weekend. Even though it was cold and we were cabin camping, he still insisted on peeing outdoors. He found a tree that needed watering, and subsequently peed on it instead of using a toilet.

He's been doing so since our first camping trip together. I know @Brisketexan would also approve.

Pissing outside is one of man's most sacred rights and abilities.  It's enshrined in the Constitution, I'm sure of it.

• Hook 'Em 2