Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

18 minutes ago, MrPhlegm said:
On 10/18/2018 at 12:19 PM, Victorious1 said:
DKR was also Athletic Director and remained the Athletic Director until 1980's.  How is that being fired?

Fired by promotion is still fired. You seem stupid.

Well, you seem very stupid too.  Retaining employment with your employer is not "fired", maybe "reassigned" even though he had been AD since 1962.  I'm sure he was encouraged to step down from the head coaching position.

On 10/18/2018 at 12:27 PM, sushihorn said:

Lincoln Riley just needs a catch phrase like "survive the surge" or "scares you to death" and the transformation will be complete.

He has his own version.  After the RRS, Riley made a comment about how OU comes in to games like this expecting to win.

In Herman's comments about the game, he made what I believe was a not so subtle slight by saying that he hates hearing that teams "expect" to win games because it breeds entitlement.  He wants his team to deserve to win games by earning it, not expect to win them because we're Texas.

If Riley is instilling entitlement, it's not the same as Brown instilling fear with his "scares you to death" nonsense, but it's just as destructive.  That attitude is why for a long time OU has dominated lesser teams but really struggled when punched in the mouth.

The 2008 OU team only faced two teams capable of going toe to toe with them, and they lost both games.  They expect winning to come easily and really struggle when it doesn't.  It has been that way around there for a while. 

19 hours ago, randygilman said:

This dumb thread somehow took a dumber turn in re-litigating the end of a Texas coach's tenure (checks math) 42 fucking years ago. 

Adding a lovely note of warmed over Mack bashing. 

This thread is a horse with two broken legs. Finish it. 

shooting-horse.jpg

A new one can be created by the usual suspects next time we lose to Maryland.

This is Texas Football for the foreseeable future. Maybe he will improve to win a couple more games in the next couple years over previous seasons but this game and Maryland are examples that Texas will hit a hard ceiling of 9-10 win seasons while TH is coach.

• Fuck You 1

I was off the Mensa bus when he was 7-7.

But I would think that a 6-game winning streak with 3 over ranked opponents, including the god damned sooners, would have bought him some leeway here.

We have a young team that just doesn't play very well on the road.  And our star corner sucks.  It is what it is.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

This is Texas Football for the foreseeable future. Maybe he will improve to win a couple more games in the next couple years over previous seasons but this game and Maryland are examples that Texas will hit a hard ceiling of 9-10 win seasons while TH is coach.

Oh shut the fuck up you gaping pussy

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Fucking stupid ass onside kick to begin with.  And there was zero chance to execute it given how it transpired. 

I hope he explains this. If we had less than 3 timeouts, then sure, that is the right call. Or a lot less time. But you kick it deep and get a stop. Even if we got a 3 and out after the onside, they pin us deep to where we have to drive the length of the field with 0 timeouts. Makes no sense. Onside kicks rarely are converted.

Edited by Vic Mackey
  • Like 1

The young secondary got fucking torched early. I mean pokes did exactly what they should have done when they had freshmen corners start the game. It wasn't surprising that Boyce was getting fucking torched. What's worse is that Sterns and Jones were complete non-factors tonight. They played like shit. 

We’re 6-2.  Half the board would have dreamed of that before the season.  This was a shitty fucking loss.  I’m fucking pissed.  However, we have 4 more games and we have a decent chance to get to 9 wins.  This team is not there but we’re sure as fuck heading in the right direction.  It’s as if some of y’all actually believed this team was #6 good.  We’re probably going to lose 1 more close one and I’ll still be happy to go 9-3.  This is way fucking better than the last 8 years.  This was winnable but with 3 suspended players, a road game in a hostile setting, and osu playing out of their minds, this is not a terrible loss.  Just stings right now.  

• Like 4

We’re 6-2.  Half the board would have dreamed of that before the season.  This was a shitty fucking loss.  I’m fucking pissed.  However, we have 4 more games and we have a decent chance to get to 9 wins.  This team is not there but we’re sure as fuck heading in the right direction.  It’s as if some of y’all actually believed this team was #6 good.  We’re probably going to lose 1 more close one and I’ll still be happy to go 9-3.  This is way fucking better than the last 8 years.  This was winnable but with 3 suspended players, a road game in a hostile setting, and osu playing out of their minds, this is not a terrible loss.  Just stings right now.  

Agreed. We’ll lose to Tech and will win the rest. Hope for a good bowl. We’re 2 years away from being a real contender.

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

The onside was a stupid call. Kick it deep with 3 timeouts. Terrible idea.

Agreed. I mean, if it's 4th and short, you are just asking them to go for it because of their field position. If they are on their own side of the field, they are much less likely to gamble on 4th. 

15 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

You have to be very concerned about this guy’s coaching results. He beats top teams in upsets but shits the bed against inferior opponents. There is something wrong.

dudes...these types of losses happen with crazy frequency. every year, in every conference. going on the road, at night, in conference, on national tv is a well known recipe for a loss. this is our first loss in conference play. the officiating was pretty terrible, some of our best players got suspended and then played like ass, our defensive players made a million individual errors, and we lost by three. this is normal. this is not a reason to panic, or to start shitting on the coaches. i mean shit, we were always going to lose at least one of osu/wvu/tech. we ain't some national powerhouse team just yet. we've been winning ball games a little bit ahead of schedule and tonight we lost. big fuckin deal. we've been recruiting well, we have a coach who seriously gives a shit, and we are legitimately better than most any of us thought we'd be at this point. we are going to take this shit out on wvu in a week and i am going to enjoy the shit out of it. tonight suuuucked, but this is college football. this happens. we're going to move on and move forward. wvu is fucked.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Goo Punch said:

dudes...these types of losses happen with crazy frequency. every year, in every conference. going on the road, at night, in conference, on national tv is a well known recipe for a loss. this is our first loss in conference play. the officiating was pretty terrible, some of our best players got suspended and then played like ass, our defensive players made a million individual errors, and we lost by three. this is normal. this is not a reason to panic, or to start shitting on the coaches. i mean shit, we were always going to lose at least one of osu/wvu/tech. we ain't some national powerhouse team just yet. we've been winning bal games a little bit ahead of schedule and tonight we lost. big fuckin deal. we've been recruiting well, we have a coach who seriously gives a shit, and we are legitimately better than most any of us thought we'd be at this point. we are going to take this shit out on wvu in a week and i am going to enjoy the shit out of it. tonight suuuucked, but this is college football. this happens. we're going to move on and move forward. wvu is fucked.

Winning is hard?

I'll go back to the onside, about as stupid a fucking call as you can make there.  We've got a MENSA in charge but he can't realize that play has about a 20% chance of success but way less when your kicker seems to have no clue what an onside kick is.  Above and beyond, you're putting the opposing team on its 25....and on.

Jesus Christ.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

5 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

dudes...these types of losses happen with crazy frequency. every year, in every conference. going on the road, at night, in conference, on national tv is a well known recipe for a loss. this is our first loss in conference play. the officiating was pretty terrible, some of our best players got suspended and then played like ass, our defensive players made a million individual errors, and we lost by three. this is normal. this is not a reason to panic, or to start shitting on the coaches. i mean shit, we were always going to lose at least one of osu/wvu/tech. we ain't some national powerhouse team just yet. we've been winning ball games a little bit ahead of schedule and tonight we lost. big fuckin deal. we've been recruiting well, we have a coach who seriously gives a shit, and we are legitimately better than most any of us thought we'd be at this point. we are going to take this shit out on wvu in a week and i am going to enjoy the shit out of it. tonight suuuucked, but this is college football. this happens. we're going to move on and move forward. wvu is fucked.

Good post

7 minutes ago, victory88 said:

First off, seasons are fluid. This mentality of "well before the season we would have killed for this" is dumb. We aren't before the season any longer. We are in the second half of the season. Expectations change. This was a bad loss. We came off a bye and laid a fucking egg from top to bottom. This is one of the worst Okie State teams they have fielded maybe this decade and they pushed our shit in during the 1st half. OSU didn't really play out of their minds. We just played god awful on defense in the 1st half. Let so many guys wide open. Offense had zero rhythm after that first drive. You can spin it if you want but this was a not a good loss.

• Like 3

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas
  • immamac unfeatured this topic