Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

16 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

If the TB12 diet was Giselle, sign me up too.

I'd put BBQ on that butthole and lick it till it was raw

I would actually lick it till it became a medical condition

"Who are we? Millennials!

"What do we do? EAT ASS!"

Edited by ATexanAbroad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/26/2022 at 2:02 PM, shadow_operative said:

you'll have to show me where in there i talked shit about sam ehlinger. i said he's not a texas football legend.

Sam is a Texas football legend.  

You don't have to be good to be a Texas football legend. Think Case McCoy. 

• Hook 'Em 7

20 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

yes, Sam is something of a folklore legend and fan favorite, which is why i've mostly compared him to Major Applewhite and James Brown. those are the two best comps for him in my eyes. with that said, none of those three was an all time great player at Texas. we love them, we loved watching them, warts and all- but just as players, they wouldn't really be near the top of the list. those guys i named who i said were better than Sam at Texas- David Thomas, Shaun Rogers, and Cory Redding- they're all better players than Sam/JB/Major,  it you're right, in terms of legendary status, those guys are not on the same list with guys like Sam, Major, and JB.

Edited by shadow_operative

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

yes, Sam is something of a folklore legend and fan favorite, which is why i've mostly compared him to Major Applewhite and James Brown. those are the two best comps for him in my eyes. with that said, none of those three was an all time great player at Texas. we love them, we loved watching them, warts and all- but just as players, they wouldn't really be near the top of the list. those guys i named who i said were better than Sam at Texas- David Thomas, Shaun Rogers, and Cory Redding- they're all better players than Sam/JB/Major,  it you're right, in terms of legendary status, those guys are not on the same list with guys like Sam, Major, and JB.

Derka, take cover!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Laga4 said:

Derka didn't just say Sam wasn't a Texas football legend (which would be wrong enough on its own).

He said he wasn't even one of the best 20 players in the past 10 years. Which is a flaming hot bag of dog shit garbage take.

Edited by MotownHorn
double post
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Ehlinger was better than anything we've had at QB since and it's not close. He had a head coach that really fucked him up physically which led to some declines in play his Jr and Sr seasons. He wasn't awesome at QB his last two years here but under someone like Sark he would have torn it up more than he already did #s wise. After his freshman season he was never as close to as bad as Quinn was last weekend. Quinn definitely has a higher ceiling but I'd kill for sophomore Sam on this team. He'd make Worthy and Whittington a shit ton of money. 

• Hook 'Em 5

13 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I’m not even sure how you would measure that. Was Ehlinger better than say Marquise Goodwin? Or Malcom Brown or Roschon Johnson or Sam Cosmi or…

Agreed that it's tough to compare QB to DE or TE or RB etc. etc. etc.

But Sam was a fucking baller who singlehandedly won games. We would have been absolute shit those years without him at QB.

To say he's not one of our best players over last 10 years of overall shittiness is asinine.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Ehlinger was better than anything we've had at QB since and it's not close. He had a head coach that really fucked him up physically which led to some declines in play his Jr and Sr seasons. He wasn't awesome at QB his last two years here but under someone like Sark he would have torn it up more than he already did #s wise. After his freshman season he was never as close to as bad as Quinn was last weekend. Quinn definitely has a higher ceiling but I'd kill for sophomore Sam on this team. He'd make Worthy and Whittington a shit ton of money. 

I would've killed for any version of Sam last year.

• Hook 'Em 3

I actually think had Sam not done the "we're BAAAAAAAAAAAAACK" he'd be thought of universally as a "legend".  His own snark got the best of his legacy.  Fuck it, I don't care, I'm glad he played on the 40 Acres and I admire the way he has handled two monumental losses in his life.

• Hook 'Em 1

for what it's worth, the criticisms I've made of Sam Ehlinger (and they are valid, reality-based criticisms) should not be taken as a slight or an attack on Sam. They should be pointed to as evidence of what a gamer and what a winner Sam is. Sam was not blessed the talent of Trevor Lawrence or Josh Allen you know?  Sam wasn't born 6'5" with a cannon arm and speed for days. he's your archetypal overachiever- as a QB he's good at pretty much everything, but he's not great at anything. He's got to make the most of his physical talent, because bottom line, most starting QBs in the NFL are more physically gifted than Sam is, whether it's size, speed, arm strength, agility, etc, Sam isn't as physically gifted as most. i mean, if Sam had Trevor Lawrence's physical gifts he'd be a starter in the league for 10 years.

Sam wasn't blessed with physical gifts like that, and yet he wins. he beat OU, he won the Sugar Bowl, he led us to multiple comeback wins where he turned into Superman in the fourth quarter out of nowhere, and he did so by making big runs on 3rd down and by hitting big passes down the field when it mattered most. that's his thing- he's not chris simms or rick mcivor, he's major applewhite and james brown. let's celebrate him for being who he is. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

for what it's worth, the criticisms I've made of Sam Ehlinger (and they are valid, reality-based criticisms) should not be taken as a slight or an attack on Sam. They should be pointed to as evidence of what a gamer and what a winner Sam is. Sam was not blessed the talent of Trevor Lawrence or Josh Allen you know?  Sam wasn't born 6'5" with a cannon arm and speed for days. he's your archetypal overachiever- as a QB he's good at pretty much everything, but he's not great at anything. He's got to make the most of his physical talent, because bottom line, most starting QBs in the NFL are more physically gifted than Sam is, from size, to speed, to arm strength, to agility, he's not a purebred QB.

and yet he wins. he beat OU, he won the Sugar Bowl, he led us to multiple comeback wins where he turned into Superman in the fourth quarter out of nowhere, and he did so by making big runs on 3rd down and by hitting big passes down the field when it mattered most. that's his thing- he's not chris simms or rick mcivor, he's major applewhite and james brown. let's celebrate him for being who he is. 

I think that perspective underestimates how good a runner he is.  No, he's not blessed with the long-stride top speed of VY, or the magical elusiveness of Michael Vick, but that guy willfully trucks anyone in his way.  I think he'll show that he can still do it, even at the NFL level.  Very few NFL QBs have that kind of game.  We'll see what happens.

25 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think that perspective underestimates how good a runner he is.  No, he's not blessed with the long-stride top speed of VY, or the magical elusiveness of Michael Vick, but that guy willfully trucks anyone in his way.  I think he'll show that he can still do it, even at the NFL level.  Very few NFL QBs have that kind of game.  We'll see what happens.

i think his running ability falls under the category of "making the most of what he's got." many, if not most QBs these days are highly mobile- mahomes, allen, lamar, hurts, fields, mariota, kyler, daniel jones, and on and on and on. and all of those guys are more boys if ally gifted than Sam as runners. but as you said, he has a unique ability as a QB to make power runs, and to run through people, and get those YAC yards, and again, as you said, that is a trait that you truly don't see from most QBs. he's a little shorter and a lot stockier than most, and he makes great use of the size and speed that he does possess. definitely one of the reasons i see things improving for their team across the board- Sam is going to be able to move the chains more frequently Ryan or Foles would.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I actually think had Sam not done the "we're BAAAAAAAAAAAAACK" he'd be thought of universally as a "legend".  His own snark got the best of his legacy.  Fuck it, I don't care, I'm glad he played on the 40 Acres and I admire the way he has handled two monumental losses in his life.

Fuck that shit. I'm glad he did it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

49 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't care he did it.  I don't care that his Longhorn legacy was likely diminished.  I think it's part of the explanation.

We should have been “back” after that. I can’t wait for Sunday! I’m looking forward to seeing all his hard work pay off. I recognize what that team is. I also recognize if he were 6’4” the pundits and    other fans of the Colts would be thrilled he’s getting a shot. It’s a mix over there at their fan forum. A lot of them were thrilled about Eason…bc he was tall and big arm. Sam’s not dinged up. He’s been working on his arm strength and all sorts of shit through Tom House since March. Normally, I’d be nervous about this Sunday (a player I like getting that chance) but everything Sam has done since he’s been drafted is working towards this shot. I think he’ll be great. 

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

he's not chris simms or rick mcivor, he's major applewhite and james brown. let's celebrate him for being who he is. 

I might put Sam on the same level as Chris Simms (and for many, that might be on the same level as Major Applewhite).  Chris played with far better personnel than Sam, from the offensive line, to running backs (Cedric Benson), to receivers (the trio of Roy, BJ and Sloan).  And those Texas defenses from 2000-2002 were much better than those under Herman (albeit in an ancient Big XII conference compared to Sam's era).  Chris and Sam each had their boneheaded moments, though Sam never had anything near the what-the-fuck meltdown that Simms had against Colorado in the 2002 Big XII title game.  Without even looking at the record books, I'm sure Chris has the better career stats.  But I'm not going to die on a Sam v. Chris hill.

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Fuck that Sam is awesome for doing that he's just celebrating a huge win.

To me that adds to his legacy he wasn't scared to go claim it and fucking backed up his mouth with his play. The team and head coarch let us all down, not Sam. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Probably the best game I saw Sam play at UT was vs. LSU/Joe Burrow. Jmo. At that point, it sorta clicked for me that he was way better than what I had thought previously. The moxie, leadership, willingness to get that dinged up and put the team on his back, the personal losses he’s gone through, his understanding of the game (most scouts will tell you between the ears he’s incredibly bright), all that hard work…it’s bound to pay off. I look forward to the conversation up In this thread when the Colts string multiple wins together. Ryan had something like 20 turnovers in the last 7 games. That’s a killer. If Sam protects the ball and goes against instincts to force things and play hero ball and doesn’t revert to the things he’s personally said he’s trying to move away from they’ll win and then some. 

I don’t however get not using him for a spark earlier this season in a couple of designed plays. That might have been the difference in a loss or two…

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I stand corrected and will gladly GTFO.

I looked at Simms numbers the other day and was actually surprised they weren't better. And I'm always surprised that Sam's are as good as they are. He didn't throw many picks. 

Obviously different eras, too. 

Edited by ztejas

Probably the best game I saw Sam play at UT was vs. LSU/Joe Burrow. Jmo. At that point, it sorta clicked for me that he was way better than what I had thought previously. The moxie, leadership, willingness to get that dinged up and put the team on his back, the personal losses he’s gone through, his understanding of the game (most scouts will tell you between the ears he’s incredibly bright), all that hard work…it’s bound to pay off. I look forward to the conversation up In this thread when the Colts string multiple wins together. Ryan had something like 20 turnovers in the last 7 games. That’s a killer. If Sam protects the ball and goes against instincts to force things and play hero ball and doesn’t revert to the things he’s personally said he’s trying to move away from they’ll win and then some. 

I don’t however get not using him for a spark earlier this season in a couple of designed plays. That might have been the difference in a loss or two…

I agree with you on that LSU game.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I prefer letting guys wait at QB until they are really ready and then let them struggle though the wave of adjustments as DCs figure them out.

Early on backup and QBs have success, then get pinned down by DCs once they have some tape.

I'd rather Sam get more well rounded and plugged into an offense like he has, then take the reigns and see how far he can really go. 

I'm a Colts fan now

• Hook 'Em 3