Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

2 hours ago, justhookit said:

No, you don’t need to wait till next year to realize he is mediocre to average at best. But he tries hard and bleeds orange so we’ve got that going for us. 

You wait until next year because there isn't a significant upgrade on campus worth burning a redshirt on.  If Sam can't figure it out by the end of the year and prove himself to be a valuable veteran going into his third year, then next year's starting position will be wide open.  

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I think the comparison of Colt McCoy to Sam Ehlinger, by the Westlake honks, served up as a means of defending Sam Ehlinger is one of the funniest fucking things I’ve seen on the Internet in years. The deadpan delivery. Totally oblivious to the absurdity. It’s just fucking beautiful. 

Also, we’re going to see the door on optimism for this guy being “the man” start to fully close tonight. We’re about to be blown out again by a team with less talent and far superior coaching. I’m going with 3 turnovers by Ehlinger in the first half. 

I don’t know who brought up the Colt/Sam comparison but it wasn’t me. All I’m saying is I’m not writing his development off. And you can eat a big ol’ bag of dicks there buddy. 

I think the comparison of Colt McCoy to Sam Ehlinger, by the Westlake honks, served up as a means of defending Sam Ehlinger is one of the funniest fucking things I’ve seen on the Internet in years. The deadpan delivery. Totally oblivious to the absurdity. It’s just fucking beautiful. 

Also, we’re going to see the door on optimism for this guy being “the man” start to fully close tonight. We’re about to be blown out again by a team with less talent and far superior coaching. I’m going with 3 turnovers by Ehlinger in the first half. 

It is an apples to oranges comparison because factor outside of the two players, from coaching to offensive linemen to weapons around the two, are different.

Sam appears to be progressing nicely.  I doubt Colt would do much better behind the current OL.

Killing it man, this is balls-gargling worthy.

And I put plenty of money on TCU to win today, so I'm here to eat crow as well.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This is my favorite post ever. I don’t know whether to give it pos or neg rep. Every sentence in the second paragraph is a thing of beauty.

Edited by formermav43
  • Like 5

The reverse jinx. Nicely done!

• Like 1

On 9/19/2018 at 9:12 AM, Hiphopopotamos said:

I'm not going to defend Sam - because he most definitely isn't an 'accurate' QB - but its kind of bullshit to use a one game sample size and not provide any context.  There is a hell of a lot more than goes into it than just here are the attempts and here are the completions.  

Standing in the pocket and delivering strikes despite knowing he’s about to get drilled. Hugging the defense after they got a pick. This guy’s style of play isn’t colt, put his leadership is.

Good god.  Colt redshirted and took over a team that just won the national championship and returned a bunch of guys.  Sam had to start as a true freshman with seniors who had gone 6-7, 5-7, and 5-7 the previous 3 seasons.

Trying to compare what Colt did and what Sam has done/might do is foolish.

I'm just happy that Sam is progressing.  He threw confidently today.  He had some smart runs.  And he didn't do anything really stupid.  He managed the game very well.  Didn't seem to try to force anything.  For those reasons, I'm excited.

• Like 3

in the first half, and especially the first quarter sam was missing open guys/making poor throws that ended up being caught (mostly in shorter/stop routes as well), and i was preparing myself for another long day. but i got to hand it to him, sam was pretty great from there on out. definitely the best i've seen him. he stood tall in the pocket and made a bunch of really good, confident throws downfield. he was definitely much better than i expected him to be. if this is the guy we see going forward then i'll happily eat my crow as this team grows into something worth believing in. really good game from dam today, and a sizeable plate of crow for myself and many others. good game sam.

• Like 6

Good call.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Great game by Sam. Efficient, protected the ball, no brain fart, threw some strikes.  That effort will win a lot of games 

This.  Played within his capabilities by not trying to do it all by himself.  No turnovers was a big plus against TCU as they have feasted in the past on our mistakes.  While I think he sometimes holds the ball too long, you can't argue with the last TD which was 6+ seconds of protection before he hit LJH for the dagger.  Ran the ball with authority today as well, which is not an easy task against Patterson's defense.  He might never reach the level of Colt McCoy, but he is progressing in his decision making and the rest of the team is responding to his leadership, so good on him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, formermav43 said:

This is my favorite post ever. I don’t know whether to give it pos or neg rep. Every sentence in the second paragraph is a thing of beauty.

It’s written by a know-it-all that claims to have ties to the AD. A guy that celebrates his knowledge of the goings-on behind the scene over the success of the team. Why would you pos rep this moron? 

I see more of Major Applewhite (the cockiness) in Sam than Colt.  Applewhite was a far better passer and Sam is better runner, but I see Sam growing  every week into a better QB.  If he can get to where Applewhite was as a passer, he is going to be a damn good QB with his ability to run...

Edited by Ramdiesel

10 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Did you jump? I hope you jumped.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Some asshole near me is so anti-Ehlinger, that he spent the 2nd half loudly cheering for him to get hurt or throw a Pick 6.  He was cheering for TCU to tackle us and to score on offense.  He said if we lost, we could bench Sam.  He was also arguing with his buddy that the Colin Johnson TD was just a bad throw prayer that was answered, and that Texas didn't deserve to win the game.

WTF is wrong with some of our fans?

10 minutes ago, Longhorn Al said:

Some asshole near me is so anti-Ehlinger, that he spent the 2nd half loudly cheering for him to get hurt or throw a Pick 6.  He was cheering for TCU to tackle us and to score on offense.  He said if we lost, we could bench Sam.  He was also arguing with his buddy that the Colin Johnson TD was just a bad throw prayer that was answered, and that Texas didn't deserve to win the game.

people would rather be right on the internet than texas win games.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, closetojumping said:

wow what a horrible fucking take.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

It’s written by a know-it-all that claims to have ties to the AD. A guy that celebrates his knowledge of the goings-on behind the scene over the success of the team. Why would you pos rep this moron? 

Pretending to be important is so much work. Almost as much work as almost being right some of the time. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

in the first half, and especially the first quarter sam was missing open guys/making poor throws that ended up being caught (mostly in shorter/stop routes as well), and i was preparing myself for another long day. but i got to hand it to him, sam was pretty great from there on out. definitely the best i've seen him. he stood tall in the pocket and made a bunch of really good, confident throws downfield. he was definitely much better than i expected him to be. if this is the guy we see going forward then i'll happily eat my crow as this team grows into something worth believing in. really good game from dam today, and a sizeable plate of crow for myself and many others. good game sam.

yeah so this is how you do this.  you go hard with your opinion and then, if at least for one day, you're shown to be wrong and you come back and say so and then it's all good because all we all want is for texas to win games.  and it's all good because texas won and that's all any of us should really care about.  props derka. 

• Like 2

Hold the fucking phone. Because you know the AD your something special? Uh, hate to break it to some of you, but there are at least three on this site that I know of who know the AD pretty well. 

That doesn’t mean they know anything about football. And it sure as hell doesn’t qualify them to have anything more then an opinion on the progression of a collegiate QB.

But, you don’t have to know too much to see that Sam did a great job of securing the football. And made some really nice throws against a defense that came into DKR thinking that the task at hand would be relatively easier than what it actually turned out to be.

2 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

yeah so this is how you do this.  you go hard with your opinion and then, if at least for one day, you're shown to be wrong and you come back and say so and then it's all good because all we all want is for texas to win games.  and it's all good because texas won and that's all any of us should really care about.  props derka. 

Did he also give you a reach around while he was back there ?

Lets pray Ingram is available.
As for Sam, through his first three games last year he had 5 TD's and 3 ints - this year its 6 TDs and 2 ints.  That's progress.  I guess.
Against TCU's two FBS opponents this year Robinson has 2 TD's and 3 ints on 57% passing - hopefully that trend continues.  
It worked. Robinson was not good.

Thankfully the guy is showing improvement and mostly it's in the decision making area. Only one time did he make a completely terrible read and throw into coverage buy we were lucky it was such a bad throw it skipped before getting to the DB. 

Patterson was playing his safeties tight to the line all game giving the offense the deep ball because he felt Sam isn't accurate enough to burn them more than 10% on those throws and he was right. The problem he had was our defense completely dominated his first year QB and confused him all day with shifting coverages behind a front that was able to get good pressure and stop their running plays. 

Sam has to get more accurate to throw defenses out of that type of coverage. If the defense doesn't completely dominate a line and QB like they did today they would lose a game where the offense can't throw defenses out of heavy box single high coverages. He also needs to improve accuracy on short routes where a lot of times he put the ball on the wrong side of the target completely killing their momentum and turning what would be 7 or so yd  gains into a loss or 1-2 yd  gains. He self tackled Watson on a swing pass just by throwing it behind him at least twice yesterday. 

The good thing is he's showing enough to think he can improve that with time. We still need to see him make plays and avoid self destruction when his team isn't  leading late in games, but I didn't think that was possible before yesterday. 

• Like 1

his TD passes were good but the NFL caliber WRs made him look better, also YAC where our guys shed tacklers (thanks S&C coach) - but my fav Sam play was--

the pass where he waited for open WRs, did not see any, took 2 or 3 steps into the LOS like he wanted to run, drew in the 2nd level LBs to create space, then dropped back 2 or 3 steps and hit the WR streakign across the field. Not sure if that was planned or spontaneous but that was very high level stuff. 

19 hours ago, closetojumping said:

imgur

24ab05faa7c9465768a65e8ec8dbf220.gif
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

I wish I had bought Crow futures last week. 

Price is going to be sky high.  

One does not "buy" futures in anything. Since futures prices represent the expected future price of the underlying, and because last week the the expected future price of crow was most likely lower that it is today, you should have entered into a long futures position to buy crow today at that low price. So today that futures contract would allow you to buy crow at last week's expected price (which was lower) and sell it market to hordes of surly imbeciles oozin vaginal fluid, thereby making a fat stack for yourself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

I can not wait for the Stronghorns to begin to fade away.

10 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

Did that guy talk about flying a banner?